Why was the Confederate Army so much better than yankee doodle scum?

Why was the Confederate Army so much better than yankee doodle scum?

Attached: time_out_I_have_to_charge_my_iPad.jpg (600x339, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/g5EHpok66SU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Minnesota_Volunteer_Infantry#Gettysburg
historynet.com/civil-war-casualties
youtube.com/watch?v=kuvORvF04zQ
youtu.be/bEvBCnHPM4Y
youtube.com/watch?v=8XtNTJhyEYo
battlefields.org/learn/primary-sources/declaration-causes-seceding-states#Georgia
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Blow it out your ass

Attached: c31575695aee0e11763bb14a4aff6084.jpg (236x244, 13K)

is that why ya lost? Also who orders a charge across like a mile of open fucking ground in full view of federal artillery

>Also who orders a charge across TWO miles of open fucking ground in full view of federal artillery
Fixed that for you.

Attached: Franklin_battle_1600.png (2544x3133, 1.49M)

Because fighting to protect your homeland, achieve sovereignty, and protect your rights > Fighting because your federal government told you to in order to keep them whole

courage and elan, poor southerners were more likely to be rural and familiar with firearms than poor northerners, and a sense that they were fighting a just defensive war (we's fightan cuz you'ns is down here, etc).

Of course all of that counts for very little in an industrialized conflict, and the Southern military was inferior to the Union. That's kind of why they lost.

it wasn't. outside of Virginia it only won one major battle (Chickamauga) and that was a borderline pyrrhic victory.

>poor southerners were more likely to be rural and familiar with firearms than poor northerners

most soldiers on both sides came from a rural back-ground.

No. Far worse. The yankees didn't want blacks at all.

losses lol

1. Southerners knew how to shoot, Yankees from NYC, Philly, and Boston did not.
2. All of the U.S.'s good military leaders defected to the South. President Lincoln had already offered Robert E. Lee command of all Union forces, but then Virginia seceded and Lee resigned from the U.S. army and went with the south.
3. The Federal beauracracy and inept leadership significantly crippled the union army for the first half of the war. Then Lincoln found Grant and Sherman and they started getting results.

youtu.be/g5EHpok66SU

Attached: soldiers-resting-at-civil-war-reenactment-event-rifles-with-mounted-AT4H7A.jpg (863x1390, 235K)

>Muh aesthetic grey
>Muh antebellum charm
>Muh beautiful landscapes
>Muh not worshiping negroes
>Muh romantic flair
>Muh aesthetic flag
>Muh gallant Rebel Army
>Muh rebel yell
>Muh submarine
>Muh just cause
>Muh Liberty
List goes on and on. Yanks are dogs who smothered true freedom in its cradle and are proud of it somehow

Also:
>Muh defense of homeland
>Muh southern belles
>Muh Manassas
>Muh Manassas 2: Yankee Boogaloo
>Muh Partisan Rangers
>Muh Bushwhackers
>Muh IRA sympathy
>Muh Ports
>Muh cash crops

"When you lose the war, that means you were the better army" -Jefferson Trudeau

Better generals

Who won again? Don’t make me drive you to the sea. Again.

Do you think the entire Union, in an era where industrialization hadn't even gotten to the "steam powered sewage pump" stage, was entirely drawn from a bunch of people who would fit in at a college LGBT rights meeting at Berkley, California?

So much better that they got roflstomped lmao

Southrons are the niggers of white people.

even the liberal arts professors back then were tough mother fuckers.

Attached: 64caeb30329f901a2fab283608c131fb.jpg (3319x4012, 1.53M)

The best general

>My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. ... That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.
t. Stonewall Jackson

Also Southerners are naturally courageous while yankees are yellow bellies.

Attached: 255px-Jackson-Stonewall-LOC.jpg (255x319, 16K)

>god ordained that I be gunned down by my own cross tooth inbred soldiers

>better
user, they lost. they may have held good ideas but they weren't "better"

The CSA itself was worse than the Union army because it lacked the equipment, ammunition and other supplies. The fighting spirit and average tactical cunning of the southerners tended to be better. iirc most union wins were because the south ran out of ammo because there was just too many people to shoot.

>yankees are yellow bellies.

>"The men of the 1st Minnesota are most remembered for their actions on July 2, 1863, during the second day's fighting at Gettysburg, where the regiment prevented the Confederates from pushing the Federals off of Cemetery Ridge, a position that was to prove crucial in the battle.
Maj. Gen. Winfield S. Hancock, commander of II Corps, ordered the regiment to assault a much larger enemy force (a brigade commanded by Brig. Gen. Cadmus M. Wilcox), telling Col. William Colvill to take the enemy's colors. The fateful charge bought the time needed for other forces to be brought up. During the charge, 215[nb 1] members of the 262 men who were present at the time became casualties in five minutes, including the regimental commander, Col. William Colvill, and all but three of his captains.
The unit's flag fell five times and was raised again each time. The 47 survivors rallied back to General Hancock under the senior surviving officer, Captain Nathan S. Messick. The 82% casualty rate stands to this day as the second-largest loss by any surviving military unit in U.S. history during a single day's engagement..."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Minnesota_Volunteer_Infantry#Gettysburg

>protect your rights
The CSA had fewer states rights than the Union did.

They were better. They were also smaller. They killed 100,000 more than the Union did. The Union just kept sending men to die on a scale that the USSR would envy

They knew that pregnant Anne Frank was counting on them.

Attached: confederate soldiers praying.jpg (1080x854, 776K)

>iirc most union wins were because the south ran out of ammo because there was just too many people to shoot.

probably the worst ass-whoopin' a major army suffered during the war (all things considered) was the Confederate Army of the Tennessee at Missionary Ridge.

(course 2nd Manassas is right up there)

Honestly I think they'd be out of place with conservatives or what they've mutates into nowadays. Even the most liberal of people back then were tough sons of bitches just by nature of the world around them

Says the one who lost cause of shoe shipments

Well the union also had more repeating firearms during a time where muzzle loaders were the norm. That whole industrial capacity really didn't pan out in the South's favor. Especially in the munitions and logistics departments

>The Union just kept sending men to die on a scale that the USSR would envy
umm, the USSR lost over 5 million people fighting the Germans, hell they killed 20 million of their own through starvation just implementing a new government. the entire civil war cost 620,000 lives so your example is shit.

>They killed 100,000 more than the Union did.

combat casualties were pretty close (although the total death toll for both sides was probably undercounted by 150-200k), the excess Union deaths were mostly disease.

historynet.com/civil-war-casualties

I am sad over what Jow Forums has become.

Based.

Attached: portland-press-herald_3768572.jpg (800x528, 189K)

Getting more kills on the defensive isn't a big deal. It'd be impressive if they could pull winter war levels of casualties but they didn't because they're trash. Brave trash, but still trash

The election really ruined the Chans, I wish we could turn back time. Not just for the cheaper surp or better laws but for a better Jow Forums and a better Jow Forums as a whole

You forgot one

Attached: 1535428724493.jpg (900x884, 54K)

>Even the most liberal of people back then were tough sons of bitches just by nature of the world around them

The American left was full of tough SoBs until the 1970s. Figure it has to do with the Dems rejection of the working class and embracing of urban elites in the 1980s and 1990s.

But they lost and got BTFO when they tried to take and hold ground in the North

youtube.com/watch?v=kuvORvF04zQ

>yankees, yellow bellied
>many were migrants who were basically told "hey we'll let you in if you go kill people for us"

I imagine it takes a level of bravery to walk into someone elses civil war and sign up knowing that you're probably going to be treated as disposable cannon fodder and die, all in the pursuit of a new life

>Getting more kills on the defensive isn't a big deal.

combat casualties were pretty much 1:1 until the Overland Campaign. Even then Hood did his best to keep it even by going "Leroy Jenkins!" against most of the major Western Union Armies around the same time.

DO IT AGAIN UNCLE BILLY

no doubt, but many immigrant, especially the germans, were pretty all in for the Union cause.

How come we don't get anymore Civil War films these days?

Homefield advantage and idealism. They had tons of logistical problems though.

I mean Teddy Roosevelt is a pretty tough lad, but I'm certain many would say he was very liberal in his policies. Granted he had the most based view on environmentalism which is "we must save the forests or else have nothing but people to shoot."

youtu.be/bEvBCnHPM4Y

Media backlash. If its historically accurate retards of both flavors will REEE at how it doesn't do the period justice. Heritage tards will go "muh Union whitewashing where are muh northern war crimes?!?!" Also libs will cry that they didn't make all the Southerners baby eating Nazi demons who aren't defeated by a trans black superhero from Wakanda

Probably because it would have to live up to pic related, which is probably the greatest war movie ever made and certainly the one most interested in realism.

Attached: Gettysburg.jpg (1940x2750, 334K)

not to get all /leftypol/ on everyone but it's my personal belief that slavery is bad

How so?

A lot of modern day Confederate supporters would agree with you.

>civil war was about slavery
it's my personal belief that you belong on a plantation

That is one hell of a film, one of the few I'd call a must watch

From what I understand, and take my words with a grain of salt because the last time I studied the subject was several years ago for a 20 page paper, a lot of property rights got fucked up during the war. Furthermore if memory serves mandatory conscription was in effect which isn't very free as a man should be able to chose if he wants to defend or surrender on his own terms

He literally ran as the Progressive party candidate. Hell the idea of environmental conservation alone was some Al Gore tier belief back in an era of "the fuck do you mean burning raw coal hurts the air, God put it here for us to burn. Fuck the deer too, they best get in my stomach"

Probably all the racemixing from raping the negroes

So, what states' right in particular was being disputed?

Attached: Sherman.gif (399x408, 30K)

Well, clearly they weren't. Since they lost.

>dying so that in the future your great granddaughters can suck and fuck BBC

lmao

yeah yeah "DO IT AGAIN UNCLE BILLY', where's your daughter at white boy?

Is the education system really that bad in the south?

Because essentially 100% of the US's accomplished military leaders were Southerners. But skill can't beat industry.

It's also easier to be recognized for skill when you have less to work with in terms of industry and logistics.

They were smart, but also kinda dumb.

>southern aristocrats convinced other poor white men to die for them after importing a bunch of niggers so they didn't have to pay white men a decent wage to pick their fucking cotton

We're all slaves now.

ayy lmao

Attached: soldier76sharder.jpg (1191x670, 143K)

This desu

And they still lost?

In my alternate history fantasy, the Confederates fight in the Pacific during WWII, and they themselves charge against the Japanese banzai charges.

Attached: 1534003114060.jpg (1241x760, 1.09M)

In my opinion the war was over once the union took new Orleans. The south was cut off from the rest of the world's commerce and the rest of the war was just making them realize it was over. Elan and tactics and even military genius can only count so much against material superiority in industrial age warfare

Attached: 1560103568806.jpg (750x554, 66K)

WELL I WISH I WAS IN DIXIE, AWAY, AWAY
IN DIXIE'S LAND I'LL TAKE MY STAND
TO LIVE AND DIE IN DIXIE
AWAY, AWAY, AWAY DOWN SOUTH IN DIXIE

Attached: right about secesion, wrong about slavery .jpg (1920x1080, 206K)

we still practice the rebel yell and didn't know it. it's just a bunch of men going YEE and that sound that icant spell but i'll try you hear it at bluegrass concerts to this day yeehOUERR

my point being. it's fucking frightening times 1000

looks better to me user

Attached: Civil-War-Casualties1.jpg (547x563, 42K)

nigga what? we don't wear shoes today... i literally don't let my wife put my boy in those goddamn bone deforming foot prisons. fuck off

yeah everybody knows that and slavery was a blatant rare occurrence reserved for the rich and powerful who still rule today. i mean goddamn you have any idea how much better the entire fucking country would be if we just only had chinese slaves goddamn that sounds like best time line

fucking ouch dawg. this is why i come to this website this dose of fucking painful reality... goddamn i'ma start doing drugs again

WE MOVIN' OUT YET UNCLE BILLY?

McClellan > The others

AWAY DOWN SOUTH IN THE LAND OF TRAITORS
RATTLESNAKES AND ALLIGATORS
RIGHT AWAY, COME AWAY, RIGHT AWAY, COME AWAY
WHERE COTTON'S KING AND MEN ARE CHATTELS
UNION BOYS WILL WIN THE BATTLES
RIGHT AWAY, COME AWAY, RIGHT AWAY, COME AWAY

Better leadership at the tactical level, at least in the Army of Northern Virginia. However, they were outmatched by the Union in terms of population, industrial capacity, food production (southern plantation economy focused on cash crops), Naval power, logistics, and overall strategy. Winfield Scott knew that the best way to apply the Union’s advantages was to strangle the Confederacy into submission. Meanwhile, the Confederacy had a vague notion of victory through attrition, sapping the Union of its will to fight, and maybe gaining foreign support. Confederate generals like Lee and Jackson were the cream of the crop, able to run circles around their Union counterparts, a mix of mediocre or underwhelming West Point graduates and political appointees. On the other hand, you have actual competent Union leadership in the west putting the noose around the Confederacy’s neck. Halleck and McClellan were underwhelming commanders, but they built the logistical structure to support the Union Army, and McClellan’s work gave the Army of the Potomac the cohesion necessary to survive the defeats it suffered at Lee’s hands. Moreover, the fight wasn’t necessarily just tough rural southerners vs. soft urban northerners. The Union Army could also draw from Midwestern farmboys, who had at least as much experience handling guns as their southern opponents. In fact, the Iron Brigade, the Union unit to sustain the highest casualties, was composed of Midwestern regiments.
Overall, the Confederacy gets romanticized and lionized because they were the underdogs, and tactical genius is more appealing than the big picture organizational work actually needed to produce victory.

A victorious army pushing into enemy territory suffers more attrition. So?
Go back and keep fucking your sister.

>Lacked Officer discipline.
>No secured arms supply.
>Impaired judgement.
>Strategically Inferior

Rivers, how do they work?

>southern boys figure they’re hot shit because they grew up hunting and shooting
>foolishly assume the north is gonna send city boys from places like new york and boston who cant shoot or hunt
>instead the north sends boys from places like michigan, ohio, and maine who not only know how to shoot and hunt just as well, but also grew up doing it in zero degree weather unlike the southern boys
>southern boys predictably BTFO, and yet somehow the northern boys are still portrayed as “soft”

No more brother wars.

You'll die alone in a bed shitting yourself on commie healthcare

Sad how Gods and Generals wasn't anywhere near Gettysburg's caliber.
The opening though...
youtube.com/watch?v=8XtNTJhyEYo
It pulls on heartstrings.

Attached: 3ae32160cd01563a535682f6cc2f9892-gods-and-generals.jpg (1200x788, 150K)

You know it’s based on a novel, right?

i was always told the south had better training facilities, but lacked industrial infrastructure like factories. while the north had worse training facilities, and better industrial infrastructure. so, the south had better soldiers, with shitty equipment that couldn't be easily replaced, and the north just churned out soldiers who were good enough, and kept them supplied.

>battlefields.org/learn/primary-sources/declaration-causes-seceding-states#Georgia
Why take someone's word for it when you could read the original declarations of succession from each state?

DO IT AGAIN UNCLE BILLY!

Sherm took it up the ass

Yeah, God did know it was gonna happen. So what? One day, you'll either bow the knee or melt before God like a wax figurine in a blast furnace.

If you look at the economic history of the states the South continually was financially raped. This was the biggest precursor motivator to the war which led to the rebel army having to use some private land to help the war effort. Makes sense when you're the less industrial part of the nation. As for conscription both sides implemented it but the numbers show that almost all lower and middle class men joined regardless of the conscription and the Southern government really just used it as a way to tax the wealthy more again for the war effort

Hear the Northern thunders mutter!
Northern flags in South winds flutter!
To arms! To arms! To arms, in Dixie!
Send them back your fierce defiance!
Stamp upon the cursed alliance!
To arms! To arms! To arms, in Dixie!

fpbp

apparently according to experts they impregnated Anne Frank.

Bring the good old bugle, boys, we'll sing another song
Sing it with a spirit that will start the world along
Sing it as we used to sing it, fifty thousand strong
While we were marching through Georgia.

Hurrah! Hurrah! we bring the jubilee![N 2]
Hurrah! Hurrah! the flag that makes you free!
So we sang the chorus from Atlanta to the sea

How the darkeys shouted when they heard the joyful sound
How the turkeys gobbled which our commissary found
How the sweet potatoes even started from the ground

Yes and there were Union men who wept with joyful tears,
When they saw the honored flag they had not seen for years;
Hardly could they be restrained from breaking forth in cheers,

"Sherman's dashing Yankee boys will never reach the coast!"
So the saucy rebels said and 'twas a handsome boast
Had they not forgot, alas! to reckon with the Host

So we made a thoroughfare for freedom and her train,
Sixty miles in latitude, three hundred to the main;
Treason fled before us, for resistance was in vain
---

This is your reminder that Sherman's march to the sea was not only justified but glorious! DO IT AGAIN UNCLE BILLY!

Attached: burningsherman.jpg (200x252, 9K)