Sword thread

for me, it's the zweihander

Attached: 99c491e1cf89e94d63a49b410f5eab36f70ec28b.jpg (2560x1353, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nYNy_drriXs
youtube.com/watch?v=vhNnwby--yQ
youtube.com/watch?v=05-WdeZ79WY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i find Zweihanders very aesthetically pleasing, but the blade is a little too flexible in my opinion. it would either be a zweihander or a nodachi for me

Attached: 1560977135075.jpg (547x550, 57K)

Only if you have a +15 chaos zwei you filthy fucking casual

have a nodachi
i love the aesthetic and dont get me wrong its cool as shit but you know what fuck it its fucking garbage its shit its laughable nippon steel pisses me off due to how fucking wobbly this shit is its not fucking funny and its not fucking fair

also nodachi were historically used for practice and never for combat. which sucks because at first glance shows this to any nigger and its intimidating as fuck

[spoiler] i love being a japanophile but godamn i have a limit [/spoiler]

based and giantdadpilled

Attached: giantdad.jpg (300x300, 14K)

do you know if its a quality issue or are all nodachis like this?

That's a funny way of saying grosse/lang messer.

>I have shit edge alignment, the post

its probably a quality issue but then again the longer swords are the more wobbly they are, especially for a skinny blade like the nodachi

Are estocs like pure unobtainium ?

Swiss sabre
I'd fuck it

Attached: 1559180159054-1.jpg (736x551, 30K)

>no messer
Behold, the Glock of the 15th century.

Forgot pic

Attached: 617AB67D-0266-4ACD-BD80-3BF1B614079D.jpg (368x833, 13K)

Any HEMA fags in here? What do you train? And most importantly why are you not training single sword?

Attached: 03-4.jpg (1500x1000, 526K)

>Wielding a sword that can only be held in one hand
>Not wielding the superior bastard sword which can be gripped with one or two hands

Attached: 3558B87F-FFB4-4A67-85D1-462456C8ADDF.png (458x576, 548K)

I think German executioner swords are dope as shit and I wanna buy an antique one

>also nodachi were historically used for practice and never for combat.

They were incredibly popular during the nambokucho period, and they remained in semi-regular use until the Edo period when the law restricted them.

Attached: 1545747862463.jpg (236x263, 17K)

People just don't understand the absolute perfect aesthetic beauty of this sword.

I want to get into HEMA but all I have in my area is SCA which is cringe and not epic. :(

Single-sword techniques are exceedingly rare outside of manuscripts describing the messer. It's not until the 1500's that we get sidesword like Marozzo and the Bolognese school, but that weapon is more of a civilian weapon. Thus, very little emphasis on it.

Plus, deep down, far at the bottom of your heart, you know saber is way more fun.

Falchion. Even when hitting plate armor you get a nice DWONNNNGGGG

>DWONNNNGGGG
I see you've never hit plate armor before.

>Single-sword techniques are exceedingly rare outside of manuscripts describing the messer.

Talhoffer uses messer and standard crossguard arming sword interchangeably.
Most everything from Fiore's sword in one hand is applicable as single sword.
Various dussack manuals are also applicable to single sword, but even if we don't count that, Talhoffer and Fiore provide more than enough information for a solid understanding of single sword fighting.

Saber is super fun, the parry/rispote style of Roworth is great, but I favor the single sword purely because there is a lot more binding and winding, and therefore opportunities for grappling, kicks, unarmed strikes etc. It's really rough & tumble when you think about it.

You can easily put two hands on any arming sword with a scent-stopper pommel, but there is very little reason to do that, as the shortened distance (as opposed to longsword) permits way more freedom and opportunity for your second hand to get in there, tap the opponent's sword out of the center, or straight up go for a disarm, or just an elbow to the face from a close bind.
You really don't need two hands on a sword to cause serious damage to someone, if you know what you're doing.

Using a falchion is retarded unless you're going to butcher unarmored villagers (or arabs, I guess) who've been holding out on taxes.

>Talhoffer uses messer and standard crossguard arming sword interchangeably.
I sure hope you don't rely on illustrations to say that. Not that there is much else in Talhoffer's treatises...

In that age a sword was a sword, was a sword etc. There are (to my memory) no plays illustrated that rely on the sword being specifically a messer (or rather, having a nagel, since there is barely any functional difference otherwise).

Of course as all things HEMA it takes a little guesswork, but with good understanding of body mechanics and a a little bit of "triangulation" using Talhoffer, Fiore's sword in one hand and a bit of stick/baton fighting knowledge you not only get a good understanding of single sword in terms of technique and priorities, but most single handed weapons in general, when you account for some dynamic characteristics.

I am fortunate to have a fencing instructor who has been in it since pretty much the beginning of modern HEMA (2000ish) who has done a lot of the legwork of interpreting sources and finding out what works.

Obviously one could say that is extremely speculative, but I'm not worried by that, having seen the "final product" in action.

I always liked this big fat triangular blades. Seemed like their hayday was when full chain and maybe a plate piece or two was somewhat normal. That just the tip slashing thing people like with sabers and stuff probably don't work all that well with it so you really got to get in there to hack and stab shit. No wonder hand guards became so common, probably get some asshole trying to chop off your fingers and run away the second you get close to doing that.

schiavona for the win

Attached: schiavona.jpg (800x491, 98K)

Are there any Zweihander swords today that aren't pencil thin slim? I would like to have ine that is actually thick and strong like the one that is portrayed in fucking dark souls series i mean fucking hell the german executioner sword is actually thick and strong can outlass a sweihander in durability wise without wobblying and bending like a thin piece of wire for fucks sakes.

>no one has yet posted the aesthetic-hilted backsword

Attached: swordthatmakespenislarge.jpg (1800x1200, 265K)

A zweihander built to replicate the one in dark souls would weigh several hundred pounds.

Claymores and Zweihanders were mostly used against unarmed peasant, mostly pike levies or an odd shield thrown in here or there that were there to protect the range units. Having a thicker blade doesn't make any sense. I've seen one matter reproduction that's mass produced and looks like a shorter version of the darksouls kind. The thing is like 65% grip surface and guards with the actual blade length probably shorter than a common one handed sword. It just wouldn't be ergonomic to have one really big long heavy blade. Actually someone has probably made buster swords from ff7 you could buy that might actually fit what you're looking for.

*Unarmored, not unarmed, whatever. Sorry, those terms are practically synonymous now but kind of a big deal in difference.

It's dangerous to go alone take this sword gun picture with you

Attached: 1553952362171.jpg (4032x3024, 964K)

For me, it's the gladius.

>german executioner sword is actually thick
It's supposed to give a planned stroke against somebody who isn't moving. It's not really a "weapon" in the sense of an object you fight with.

Greatswords are slim because they were fighting weapons, they are light because they are supposed to be used for long periods of time in a fight. You just have an unrealistic view of what a fighting sword is.

>t. zero sword experience

I'm a pirate at heart and I DESERVE REPRESENTATION

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 36K)

>There are (to my memory) no plays illustrated that rely on the sword being specifically a messer (or rather, having a nagel, since there is barely any functional difference otherwise).
I wouldn't try the parry on the pic with a simple crossguard personally, but perhaps the perspective is slightly off. Nonetheless, I overall agree with you.

My point was mostly that Talhoffer's illustrations are typically tricky to use in terms of the equipment (well it depends on the specific treatises but it's still present in his most famous). I'm talking about the messer becoming a sword, an armored fight being represented by people in gambeson etc.

Talhoffer's are mostly books of pretty and cool images, They probably weren't made to be used as a teaching/memory aid like those of Fiore for instance.

Attached: Cod.icon._394a_114v.jpg (1386x977, 309K)

German executioner swords are the only true chad german swords while the Zweihander swords are the virgin german swords since they take little strength to use them while it takes immense strength to weld a german executioner sword plus it doesn't wobble and bend like a little twinkling bitch thus reaffirm it's chad status.

Attached: 4b43d0e52109611fdca56dd954c572ef.jpg (1600x1600, 77K)

Sort of. I got kicked out of most dojo's. Please be patient I might have autism? Usually when I get into a fight or pick one it's with someone WAY bigger than me. I guess if you want to do some techniques that are great for bullying someone using something worse sabers and smaller swords got popular because they weren't going after people in an actual war sort of way when they might wear a piece of armor all the time that makes the majority of that stuff impractical.

the HUNK

Tarkus approves

I just started recently with longsword. Apparently the club is on the tail end of a broadsword unit but I feel like I'm too far behind to try catching up with it, so maybe I'll ask someone for a quick rundown some day.

Do any hemafags in here have experience with berbekucz, regenyei, or black fencer swords?

MIDDLE EAST POWER

Attached: shamshir-arabe.jpg (600x600, 158K)

Okay dude, do you if you were a hema fag really expect anyone to retain their fingers? Maybe you start paying out disability from tax payers for that. If you're not using spears and just swordsmen they're going to get their shit fucked up so bad you might as well double any financial figure and hope a bank even has that amount of a payoff to let your bud brick dwelling inhabitants go about even trying to build a mud brick structure missing a couple fingers during their work. Elrond could elf bow some people siege of gondor style and end your financial obligations a lot quicker unless you want to have every problem you have turn into helms deep.

that thought structure
your brain is a mess

Attached: the tard.png (840x854, 434K)

I really don't think anyone wanted to build mud structure buildings out of their goodness of their heart for faggots that got fucked up fighting some other faggot unless they're throwing their money around. If you got coins and tell people otherwise they'll try to hurt you for as many as possible. That's the bread and butter of people that have coins looking to make more of them. Most armies just showed up to capture an important person rather than any sort of complicated or blood bath melee battle. People that do that sort of shit for fun completely had other reasons to do it in the first place and nobody wanted to actually do that.

Ah, based schizoposter, you do make for an interesting diversion.

My odachi doesn't flop nearly as much as a Euro greatsword I used, I think it depends on the length and blade thickness. Pretty sure they were used a good bit, relatively speaking.

Anyone know some respectable places to buy swords from In Europe?
Looking for a Zweihänder, doesn't have to be the cheapest, willing to go up to 300€
Heard swords out of Czechia or Croatia are usually done well for their price but couldn't find any shop

Attached: 1559400331657.jpg (540x540, 41K)

Speaking of medieval related items I have a story
>Be 5 hours ago
>Bought pic related for 125 dollary doo's and waited for it to be delivered in mail for 3 days
>All the mesurements match up, chest, height etc
>But didnt equate for one measurement
>Mail arrives, Basedsmile.jpeg
>Pull out gambeson and instantly notice its small despite being an XL
>Try putting it on and didnt equate for my giant barn shoulders to not fit inside the Gambeson
>Wasted 125 dollars because my shoulders are that huge I cant shut the buttons up

Attached: doublet01.jpg (644x642, 121K)

I have a Federschwert from black fencer, and it is a wonderfully balanced sword for being made of resin. Much better than the red dragon stuff tbqh.

the only Zweihander that is worth it is the one from dark souls, the rest are pencil thin virgin tier trash. Go and get yourself a real chad sword the german executioner sword where the iron is thick and Iron Tarkus approves you for using it as it shows your dick is mighty as your sword.

Jesus, the underage.

Sorry to hear that friend, I'd buy it off of you but I'm probably too smol to make it work if the only thing wrong was shoulders I need a nice lighter thing for sparring

I'm looking at getting a gambeson or jacket for fencing. Is there any reason to get one of the more historical looking gambesons over a modern fencing jacket besides aesthetics?
I'm between the spes AP and FG for reference.

Post a Zweihander in real life then that isn't as short as a longsword or as thin as a first gen military vietnam era M16 barrel then faggot.

Post pics of yourself lifting an executioner sword before you act tought on the internet.

>Virgin Zweihander who compensates with long range
>Chad War hammer user who has no sense of personal space

Attached: 600788.png (850x850, 46K)

Berbekucz makes bohurt crowbars
Regenyei is fantastic entry level shit, I have a XV arming sword and a blunt long sword (feders are a joke) and they have been holding up perfectly for 2 years. After training I highly suggest you run some sandpaper over the blade and a bit of wd40 or Balistol. I have no idea why, but people seem to forget all tools require maintenance.
Blackfencer imo is a golden standard. I don’t own one, but I’ve had the opportunity to play around with a fair few. Def my next training sword is gonna be a bf, when I retire one of my Regenyeis.

A nodachi will more likely shatter on a particularly bad impact. You want your sword to have a little give, so it’s not brittle.
GRORIOS NIPPON STEE FOLDED OVER A GORILLION TIMES is actually pretty shit when you have steel on steel impact. That’s the reason Japanese swordplay is more about fully evading, or binding blade to blade, rather than parrying, or cutting into the opponent’s cut.

based, checked, and bluntpilled

Are we talking sharp, or blunt? In any case, 300 euro won’t get you either (at least nothing with a semblance to historical accuracy). Your best bet is Regenyei armoury, I think his big boys start at around 700€

No. Get a modern jacket for your own comfort, and not to look like a sperg (tho we play with swords, which is pretty sperg to begin with)

Good that means you need to actually build muscles and be more like arnold Schwarzenegger or at least Sylvester Stallone and not some twink little faggot like Link

Here you go, and in movement to boot.
youtube.com/watch?v=nYNy_drriXs
youtube.com/watch?v=vhNnwby--yQ

>encumbering yourself for no added benefit
>wanting to be a deformed, slow and barely mobile bodybuilder faggot
This isn’t Hollywood, kid. Being ripped doesn’t make you a better fighter, in fact it often gets in the way after a certain point.

Attached: F846FD50-9394-4DD3-A14C-894A34B4DD3F.jpg (960x642, 271K)

Thanks. I definitely wanted a steel blunt and not a feder, even if they're safer to spar with.
Have you done any heavy sparring with the black fencer one? I heard they only started doing steel recently and have a lighter, feder-like feel to them. I worry about how they'd stand up to other swords like the blunt albions many of the club members use.

>rather than parrying
Parrying can be done mune against mune though, the edge isn't the only part of a blade.
Also, Kiri otoshi / itto ryodan which is a pretty common action is pretty much cutting into the opponent's cut and deflecting it with the curve, unless you have a different meaning of this action.

It isn't false to say that overall, japanese blades were probably less durable than euro ones, sure.

The fact the german executioner sword exist makes your argument invalid since it was used by guys with arms that will be bigger than yours will ever be in your life you dex focused fag

Executioner swords would have been useless for fighting anyway... It's a good weapon to hit someone who is just standing there but then everything is.

Besides, why the hell do you need to add "german" to it exactly? Best executioners in the modern period were in France...

Because that is what theone with the flat end is called the German Executioner Sword since that is what pulled it up when i searched it up anyway. Plus it looks like it can really fuck up someone's armor so can be both used as an edged blade weapon or a blunt weapon if need be since it is thick.

who /pollchad/ here

Attached: pollaxe.jpg (1920x950, 84K)

>Best executioners in the modern period were in France
I'll concede that the guillotine is way more efficient than a sword for that thing, but we're talking about swords here. Which, for all I can find on the internet, were far more prevalent in germany than france.
This better be bait. Executioner swords are called that because they were USED FOR EXECUTIONS you flaming homosexual.

It's just an executioner sword, they were all like that at some point, there is nothing "german" about it.
Also it's nice of you to write how you don't understand how armored swordfighting works. The executioner's sword is, just like the Patton sword for instance a tool for one job that is completely unsuited to any sort of actual combat and isn't designed for it. Even a dagger is a better armored fighing weapon compared to an executioner sword.

youtube.com/watch?v=05-WdeZ79WY
They're interesting, but we mustn't forget two handed swords were a niche weapon only in use for a short while.

>Which, for all I can find on the internet, were far more prevalent in germany than france.
It wasn't uncommon to have an executioner coming from France to behead someone when you really didn't want a fuck up, see Anne Boleyn for instance.
Well ok it's probably partially because it's harder to bribe a guy to "accidentally" miss a couple of times when he is coming from another country.
Still, in France, there were long lasting lineages of executioner, father to son traceable for many generations and it had some effects on "professionalism" of the trade.

Execution were surely very prevalent in Germany, but France certainly didn't lag behind. Different territorial organizations is bound to modify how those things were conducted too.

Also I admit I said this in an hyperbolic manner on purpose.

Albions will chew up most other swords purely for the fact they’re hardened to 60 Rockwell, if memory serves me, which is absolute overkill for a training blade imo. Not to mention the Leichtenauer, for instance, is very forward weighted, making it a really hard hitter, on top of being excessively hardened.
Haven’t had issues with the BFs I’ve played around with, but then again I dont own one and I have limited experience, and none of it is against Albion blades, because in our school those are considered rude vs. anything else, but another Albion haha.
If most of your club mates have Albions I’d go right for that. The extra cost will pay itself in not having to buy a new trainer after hours gets eaten up within a year or two.

Well, you google executioner sword and you find mostly german ones. Perhaps there's just more of them surviving in germany.

Dex build, best build, homosexual.
Executioner swords are not used for fighting, and even a twink can use one to chop a head off due to the sheer momentum generated by the weight.

It's more of the radiating pain than the actual noise being described

Japanese swordsmiths liked to make thicker blades. This makes them stiffer and more durable but you loose some cutting potential.

Slightly off topic. But let’s say someone had a lot of money to burn and wanted to buy full plate like pic related for reenacting/LARP/armored combat league/dicking around. Where would they need to start looking?

Attached: F05E2C5F-9001-4167-9610-7D67A0C2F847.jpg (1500x1500, 377K)

oh no no no look at the size of the rings hahahahahha

seriously though, depends on how accurate and well fitting you want your harness. You could just buy a shitty indian made harness for a hundred bucks but it will look like trash and be extremely uncomfortable

Attached: 4710f009389ae8b6cf35ae5552d6fcad.jpg (564x752, 135K)

Let’s say I want it to be fairly accurate, and comfortable enough for me to wear while doing stuff.

Okay, first off. Most swords were made light. Think 3 pounds total. 5 pounds is about the upper limit. Even an executioner's sword wasn't all that heavy.

Second, medieval knights had a balance of strength and dexterity with more of a focus on agility. Most of the workout was climbing with a little lifting and running. Only difference is that Knights did it all in 30 pounds of armor.Think a rock climber's build.

Third, you don't always need to choose between speed in strength. Just don't skip leg day.

Forth, a full bodybuilder's physique isn't sustainable. You need a very high protein diet and excessive cardio will shrink you down.

Then it will cost you, White Rose Armory is quite a famous manufacturer. They are the guys that made lindymemes harness. Long wait times though. Wasson Artistry are another, they made Knyght Errants cuirass amon others. There is also a ton of obscure eastern european smiths who make decent stuff.

Attached: 19944443_1116476788453926_951901439468865678_o.jpg (1500x1000, 217K)

kult of athena has pretty good blades, but they have more large historical blades rather then mass producing zweihanders, they get pricy pretty quick tho

Any sword that length is probably going to break on a bad impact. I don't think you understand the folded part was typically sandwhiched between softer parts. Even if you get a regular katana/shinken kinda thing made that way, and it's undersized compared to would this length be right for your height. The fucking things bend. It's a real bastard to try and fix too because it's fucking sharp as heck so you want to avoid trying to chip the blade, just really difficult to deal with but snapping on a typical sized one isn't that big of a problem.
lol Europeans love to act worse than fucking insect drones. At least insects can morph drones into something different if their hive needs it. No wonder ever European intellectual pined for the days of ancient history.
That looks more like a transitional piece than full plate. Maybe 15th century. Nice choice with the houndskull though looks a lot more aggressive and intimidating than pigfaced.

Okay this maybe counts as full plate, but if you want something like that maybe start out with a really cool chain shirt first. You don't have any tassels or stuff like that. The chain really sticks out as conspicuous making it more of a late period sort of thing. Especially with those kind of gauntlets having finger articulation/protection. Maybe be kinda cool if you have a half sleeve shirt already and want to add onto it. If you got nice enough plate pieces like that you might as well start with a full sleeved shirt and cut off the parts that don't fit with the plates. The chain on this thing just doesn't seem to do the rest of these pieces right. If you want a full plate that just has too much chain on it to start with and that torso plate doesn't fit with the arm protection for a full piece. The thing to really pull that together and make it look cool would be the chainmail shirt you're starting with, because the sabatons just seem like a fancy extra feature and it looks a lot cooler if you just cover that with chain if that much of it already has it, I don't know why you'd add sabatons at that point even unless you were a foot soldier and it made it easier than repairing whatever . A puttee? The part that goes over the boot, that part on the bottom would wear out really fast. The pauldrons would get replaced with a better breast plate, really only the forearm/elbow parts look like a genuine full plate piece and the rest would fit without sabatons with chain chauses instead.

That's unfortunate. Albions definitely aren't the majority, but there are several floating around so I thought it was worth noting.
Now I kind of want to get the Blackfencer more to see if I can convert some people to it. The club generally spars with blunts instead of feders so converting some people to a softer-hitting sword could be nice.
What did you like more about the Blackfencer compared to the Regenyei?

Generally speaking only poorly made Japanese blades were prone to shattering, bending is more likely but all things considered that is better than snapping or shattering. Swords can of course do all three under stress.

Nodachi were not particularity fragile and had a good reputation as a field sword in east Asia, though no sword, even those made with modern materials and methods, is going to last forever if its being hit against other swords and similar hard material.

>That’s the reason Japanese swordplay is more about fully evading, or binding blade to blade, rather than parrying, or cutting into the opponent’s cut.

Cutting into the opponents cut is the most famous strategy of the most widespread school of kenjutsu

While some schools did not encourage blocking, this had more to do with preferring an aggressive strategy than the swords being fragile.

Attached: bushiwithOdachi.png (461x746, 640K)

Falchions aren't machetes, nor are they heavy. Historical examples have extremely thin blades.

My possessed katana, of course... It grows stronger with every drop of blood of my enemy. I have trained with it for many years, and I am able to make atleast 20 cuts in under a second.

Nothing he said was wrong

>I got kicked out of most dojo's
You're probably an asshole though

Only with his head.

I dunno about you guys but i like it all. Euro, japanese, eastern european, all can be appealing In different ways. I have a few different styles of arms and armor. Hell i just got some new euro leg armor in the mail today

guns r gay

I handled a sparring version of a Swiss saber at a HEMA tournament and it felt amazing. This sword needs more love.

Longsword and rapier mostly, sidesword too. Taking a break from fencing right now though while I wait to be cleared from a concussion.

This is probably a cringe and bluepilled question but I don't really come to Jow Forums so whatever.

Is there some equivalent to Skallagrim but for Nip weapons? I want to learn about katanas and samurai fighting techniques, but actually real and non-weeb. And I'm not about to read actual texts on the matter because I don't know how to read, has to be videos or something.

Attached: skall_4697.jpg (350x220, 28K)