WWSD

Hey Jow Forums.
Not an AR guy at all, but I'm thinking about finally dipping my toes into the pool, so to speak. In doing research into the platform I found the What Would Stoner Do? series of videos by the guys on InRangeTV and the idea behind their project was compelling.
However, having priced out their parts list in comparison to a stock off the rack AR, it's isn't a cheap build by any stretch.
So, is this something worth persuing? Any experience with similar builds? Any guns similar in concept out of the box?

Attached: WWSD+CARBINE+OFFICIAL+COMPONENTS.jpg (1000x562, 176K)

Everything but the polymer lower is fine. Anyone who tells you otherwise wants to pretend they shoot 2000 hajis innadesert every time they go shooting and is disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.

Imagine actually thinking that the reddit-grade abortion seen here is what Eugene Stoner would make if he designed the AR today.

While the SR-15 exists.

Karl needs to be kicked in the dick.

fine rifle.
except go with an aluminum lower.
you're saving a few ounces tops, and it's not worth it.

>Any guns similar in concept out of the box?
The M16A1.

Red dot and magnifier is heavier than an LPVO and less useful. There's no point sacrificing rigidity for a polymer lower, and there's no point getting rid of the FA even if it's not helpful. Literally the only good part of that weapon is the charging handle.

I don't even think that polymer lower/ stock combo is sold anymore senpai. The wwsd project was just "muh lightweight lego gun." Imo, in relation to modern tech, anything with a lightweight handguard, pencil or fluted barrel and midlength gas system would be considered Stoner esque.

>SR-15
dis nigga actually drank the Knights coolaid. lol enjoy your $2500 3MOA hunk of trash

Here's the modern AR:
Aero receiver set
Toolcraft BCG
Radian Raptor LT/Raptor CH
CMMG Builder LPK
Larue MBT-2S
B5, BCM, MIAD, or BG-1X grip
A5 buffer kit
CTR, STR, ACS(L), MOE SL-K, B5 or LMT Sopmod, or BCM Gunfighter Stock
BCM MCMR
Ballistic Advantage 14.5" Midlength Barrel with pinned muzzle device matched to your QD suppressor, or Faxon Gunner 14.5" Midlength with one of their pinned MDs.
Set of MBUS Pros.
Vortex Strike Eagle 1-X, Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5-4, Kahles K16i, Nightforce ATAC-R 1-8, or any multiple of other quality LPVOs at various pricepoints.
Streamlight HL-X or Modlight M600 clone (don't buy surefire proper they're anti2a).

Perfect modern AR. You're allowed to do things differently but this is a good rifle to start with.

So this was essentially a 'meme' project to begin with? The idea of a reliably accurate and field capable rifle at ~5-6 lbs. that isn't a Ruger 10-22 is, as I mentioned before, a compelling idea.

This is vastly cheaper in every way. Very much appreciated.
I might still consider the KE enclosed fcg and enclosed buffer, but mostly just because I think they're slick.

PSA Lower
Aero Upper

That's almost exactly what I built, except hiperfire trigger and an aimpoint pro.

The fcg is probably fine but the nice thing about the A5 is that you get a rifle length spring in a collapsible stock which helps soften recoil impulse.

>Inb4 it's an AR it has no recoil
There's nothing wrong with reducing flip and recoil impulse on any gun no matter how little it has, just plain makes it more controllable.

Sig perfected the AR while making it actually not an AR.

Attached: 20190620_195507.jpg (3313x1833, 3.21M)

cohen era sig is a meme

I just finished my "wwsd-eque" build last weekend. Thing feels great, haven't shot it yet. Probably should have kept the f.a. desu

Attached: Ghgh.jpg (4032x3024, 3.32M)

Spouting memes you've heard online.

Attached: 20190620_195218.jpg (4032x1960, 2.36M)

how do you like that optic? debating it v. eotech

>So this was essentially a 'meme' project to begin with?
Absolutely. Nobody will ever agree on whats wrong with it (I for one, like forward assists), but even Karl eventually conceded that its probably pretty removed from what Stoner would actually have done. Regardless of the grandiose title, its just a lightweight AR build, nothing more or less.

Cant say one way or another. I've owned shitty eotech before (518). No real difference per say. I just dont like the eotech tomfoolery and lying and wanted to try something new. Vortex VIP makes me feel fuzzy.

If you need it night vision capable you are shit out of luck, but for everything else its half the price of an eotech setup and so far works fine.

The only real plus is the hood is one peice instead of that retarded housing which has a gap.

The specifically say that poly lower is more durable than aluminum as it can deform after stress (car running over) that will break the buffer tube attachment on a traditional lower. Weight was a factor, but per their design it was chosen as superior (A1 fixed stock as well).

That rifle is a brownells-180 that sig is charging you atleast double for.

Still has not shipped. $800 for upper alone.

>got my sig new in box for $1400

What?

You seething mad? Seeing nice sigs.

Attached: 20190620_210127.jpg (4032x1960, 3.46M)

Recovering from that kind of situation doesn't mean much. What people care about is the performance from use. How do the trigger pin holes stand up over time? How does the tube last from buffer friction? Temperature extremes? Extended fire? What happens to the takedown pins after repetitive wear? How is magazine cross compatibility and reliability? Can it reliably fit every ar upper, or will tolerances stack? How's the compatibility with other aftermarket AR parts? etc.
At best, the data regarding polymer lowers is incomplete.
The 7075 lower is proven to be durable and effective by dozens of ar15 manufacturers over an untold number of rounds.

People who buy Woodlore shoe trees are the worst and should NOT be trusted.

>pay LMT money for sig
>bragging about it

Attached: mcx boys.png (494x433, 206K)

>Toolcraft BCG
I appreciate the toolcraft BCG recommendation. I was having a hell of a time finding a decent bcg that isnt fucked up pricing wise due to a fucking logo.

>poly lower is more durable than aluminum as it can deform after stress
Taking aluminum/steel vs. polymer arguments for magazines and applying them to goddamned AR lowers, holy FUCK that is some serious bigbrain.

Show me an LMT with the features of the MCX at $1400.

I'm waiting
>piston
>quick swap barrels
>multicaliber
>once I get it NFA, 4 different quick swap barrel options
>actually decent proprietary suppresor that fits flush in furniture with shorter barrel.

Do you run that much canned full auto Desu?
Because that's basically the shtick of AR18 piston over DI/internal piston. Otherwise it's just an expense for faster cycling (also known as parts wear). Literally nobody on this board runs enough ammo for it to matter

Yeah no prob they're OEM for tons of big names.

>reliability
>run a can and have ability to adjust
>folding stock and still able to fire from vehicle.

Going to SBR and get a can.

>wwsd
he'd do the SR-15, ya know, the modern AR he designed
dumb vegan cocksucker communist Satan worshipping faggots...

lol whats wrong with them

Sig ARs are lame af, bring nothing to the table and have no reason to exist, but damn I want an MCX

To be frank getting the weight low seems great and allow I wouldn't call the CAV-15 Infantry proof... I'd be comfortable with my usual mountainous lurks. I personally don't see GWACS lowers as trash. But they're out of manufacture and MSRP'd for like $150. As opposed to lurking on GunBroker to get cheap Aero shit.
>The whole thing is a novelty
>Platform version of 6.5 vs 5.56: yes you're better. But are you enough better to justify costs?

Sorry you spent $2,000 on that Georgian abortion user...

Nice fucking garbage ass wugwus clone

That sure is a lot of unfortunate purchase decision making in one pic...

Paying full price.

Not getting MCX, optics, Sling and a couple mags for under $2000.

>$2000 being some sort of breaking point.

Not owning all the ARs.

Honestly glad with your thinking. Been kinda tired of the
>Piston therefore better
The "DI" gas system gets dubious in proper carbine lengths and sucks for cans. Adjusting gas is important for suppressing.
>Firing from vehicles
Honestly lack an opinion because I don't know anyone who got in a shooting match like that.

A retard can parrot good info. James Yeager made a career out of it.

>He actually thinks that's a good build

lmao

Post a parts list then.

We can bring our own rifles to work. It's nice knowing you can engage from inside a vehicle with a long gun.

Not him, but what's wrong with it?

They are about the flimsiest, crappiest and most overpriced piece of garbage their is. People who buy them are generally the ones who think they know about shoe when in fact, they don't.

Yuck
>you have to go back

Cant really say either way. Didnt buy em. Seem to work well enough for what they are.

Local, State or one of those 3 letter types...

Imagine actually thinking that namefagging was something you should do.

>namefagging
Git the fuck out

The important thing is he tried okay

Nothing is wrong with it. Only thing I'd change is putting a PRO or MRO on it, I'm not big on LPVO's but otherwise I see no problem with it.

Mall security

You're shitting me
A rifle for watching merchandise?

Dollar store is rough these days.

Aaah, that shitty standing floor lamp. I have one, love seeing them in the background of certain LGR videos and elsewhere.

I got a SIG tread and I absolutely love it to death and run it as much as possible and it basically eats anything I put in it and with proper maintenance it runs like a top

Tread bros FTW!

LMT has piston options (though piston AR15's are dumb), quick swap barrels, multicaliber and the base model MARS with a 16" DI barrel is ~$1300. It's also full ambi unlike the SIG, has a slimmer monolithic 7075 handguard, and you're not rolling dice with SIG KWALITEE. LMT also has a more unique proprietary suppressor that can go over the barrel rather than Brittinghams' rehashed old designs.

How is it less useful?

x24

Link. If you are serious I'll buy it today.

fucks price got to do with it? his point stands, we know exactly what Stoner would have done because he did it. literally exactly what he did on the very first sr25s, but down-scaled to 5.56.

Not that guy but you don't need to name yourself anything other than Anonymous when using a trip, he literally is namefagging. Go be retarded somewhere else.

Reread. Its DI. I want piston for suppresor.

Reread. Sig is fully ambi.

Waiting for you to actually justify why this $1300 dollar rifle is so much more superior than my $1400 rifle.

I'll go buy an LMT for the hell of it. Been buying a gun every few days with the new July 1st WA state laws. Picked up the MCX, two Veprs (7.62x39 and 54R) and an aero precision AR10.

Very similar to what I did, but different parts on mine I got for a reason
>BCM HG
>Hyperfire trigger
>Geissele triple braided spring and buffer
>MOE+
>COMP M3
A man of taste

Attached: 20180908_152753_HDRcrop.jpg (3737x3120, 2.47M)

this

Faxon makes garbage. Stay far away.

JuST aS GoOd: the build

Every single part in that build screams 'I'm too fucking poor to afford the good stuff'

>Not an ar guy
Well then by all mean stay away from this hipster trash fire, instead you should get an m16 clone or m4rgery

It's a cheap rifle built right after the point of diminishing returns you literally just stated the point of it. If you wanna spend a boatload of money go with a V-Seven receiver set and handguard or a PRI tube, LMT furniture, Proof Research barrel, KAC MD and can, and a fuckin' S&B.

spend the savings on ammo and you'll be better with your rifle than will ever be

Re-read. It can be piston but piston AR-15s are stupid. Even so, LMT's piston rifle beat SIGs for the Estonia contract.
Sig isn't full ambi. Post pics of your rifle's right side bolt catch/release.
Re-read. You asked to match features, not to prove if it's superior, which it pretty much is for all the other features previously listed, especially in terms of quality.
Waiting for you to move goalposts again.

Attached: estonia LMT Sig HK.jpg (720x960, 243K)

Uhh wut? Actual milspec is the point of diminishing returns. It's where volume of production has 'artificially' lowered the price of components. You can build a rifle with a CHF chrome lined barrel and M16 action for ~$1000. If that is so much money to you that you can't afford training time, I don't know what to tell you besides unfuck your life.

Buddy that parts list is a $1000 gun before accessories

And grass is green. What's your point?

One point made towards me was marksmanship. BUIS arent that expensive.

The other point was hyperbole about going full paycheck on a build. I'm saying there is a very nice middle ground where if you want something better than a range toy, you get best value for dollar. Sure you can spend $3000 on an AR but $1000 will get you a nice rifle, not a budget JuSt aS gOoD build.

I appreciate your explanation but I knew that I've been on this shit show of a site for too long

I agree with you. I'm just saying that you're advocating a good $1000 gun while claiming that my builds list for an IMO good $1000 gun is a poorfag justasgood list. Do you not like Aero?

cute rifle

I really like Aero, great products at great prices. Faxon is 100% marketing BS. The Nathan guy InRange interviewed left about two years ago. Their QC is garbage, they are running their machines and tooling into the ground and their customer service is shit. BA chrome lined barrels are made by FN and it has been found that FN is willing to sell garbage (fudds borscoped new FN barrels and found them looking like trash) so I take that as a reflection on their workmanship. Toolcraft is selling BCGs that dont have chromed bores for the bolt, I wouldn't use one of them.

What they did was more like what the military should look into rather than what is ideal for the common man. I have no experience w/ a similar build nor do I know of any guns that have a similar enough concept.

You know neither of you actually disputed anything he said

OP here. Frankly surprised to see this thread is still alive, as it seems the overwhelming consensus is that the project was for entertainment purposes only, and that similar results can be attained with less money and debatably better parts.

However, since it is still up, perhaps the question should now become 'Is there benefit to paying almost double the money for a pre-built gun from company "X", versus assembling the various parts personally to fit the specific demands of the individual user?'
As I see it I would tend to agree that if the difference is negligible, then the money is far better spent on decent optics, which is included in the previously mentioned list (something I would like to stress, as the overall cost with it's inclusion is still well below that of a similar weapon from a big name), and on ammunition. As we all know, a rifle is nice to look at, but at the end of the day it's just a fancy club if you can't feed it.

I got one of those Faxon carbon fiber handguards and had to send it back. The carbon fiber is glued to a metal collar, and mine was glued off-center. I could technically get it on the gun, but not all four screws would screw on flush into the handguard, and I didn't even want to try to zero iron sights on it. It's a good idea, but executed badly in this case.

The SR15 exists, and people still make "WWSD" abominations?

Some of you are literally retarded.

>'Is there benefit to paying almost double the money for a pre-built gun from company "X", versus assembling the various parts personally to fit the specific demands of the individual user?'
Most people have about the same demands in a long gun: a reliable rifle that is easy to shoot and easily mount an optic of some kind. Guns are very straightforward machines that only need to do one job well, which is kill bad guys.

It's individual *preferences that differ. Some people might prefer certain grip techniques, to which certain parts lend themselves better than others. Some people might prefer certain types of optics, or certain accessories, for which rail space needs to be budgeted. Some people might make the decision that they want to prioritize long distance engagement over short range, or vice-versa.

Asking what Stoner would do isn't that interesting to me, since we already know exactly what he did do once, which is design the AR-15 rifle exactly as he did. The more interesting questions, to me, would be to ask a successful competition shooter how he would design his rifle, or a vet/seasoned PMC what his demands are and how he would change his weapon, if he could, and so forth.

nice poorfag ash clone.

>So, is this something worth persuing?
No.

Commit sudoku you low iq pleb

I hope this is a fucking joke

Yeah because all of those NATO countries that are replacing old designs are clamoring for polymer lower ARs lmao

>Aero receiver set
I use Aero for all of my builds that have a halfway decent barrel, but only for glossy black finish. Anderson and Palmetto are JustAsGood in every other way.
>Toolcraft BCG
Yeah, these are good.
>Radian Raptor LT/Raptor CH
*Geissele SCH
>CMMG Builder LPK
Why not Aero? Or off-brand parts? It's just mil-spec parts, so why pay a premium? Shouldn't cost $40 for these parts. Also, I think most people would suggest an ambi safety and some sort of "enhanced" bolt catch.
>Larue MBT-2S
Yes.
>B5, BCM, MIAD, or BG-1X grip
*Magpul K2
>A5 buffer kit
There is literally no reason not to get an Aero buffer kit that already just werks for $40.
>CTR, STR, ACS(L), MOE SL-K, B5 or LMT Sopmod, or BCM Gunfighter Stock
*Magpul ACS, ACS-L, SL or B5 SOPMOD.
>BCM MCMR
It's very lightweight and very sturdy. The price is also right. I have one on a rifle and no ragrets at all. I kind of like my CMT UHPR Mod 4 Hybrid handguard, though, which is only $10 more than the BCM and has short sections of picatinny rail toward the muzzle end, as well as integrated, steel-reinforced QD sockets. Both are sturdy as hell.
>Ballistic Advantage 14.5" Midlength Barrel with pinned muzzle device matched to your QD suppressor, or Faxon Gunner 14.5" Midlength with one of their pinned MDs.
Eh... this is total nonsense, even by your own standards. If you have a suppressor, then you are willing to get a tax stamp, in which case what the fuck are you doing pinning your muzzle device? You're a fucking idiot, m8.
>Set of MBUS Pros.
Troy Folding BattleSights are about half the price right now and are a better design, IMO.
>Vortex Strike Eagle 1-X, Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5-4, Kahles K16i, Nightforce ATAC-R 1-8, or any multiple of other quality LPVOs at various pricepoints.
At various price points? Everything else about your build screams poorfag, though.
>Streamlight HL-X or Modlight M600 clone (don't buy surefire proper they're anti2a).
Lol, you're retarded.

The benefit you get from buying a prebuilt gun is resale value.

I build all my ARs from parts (everything is exactly what I want) but I know its pretty much sunk cost.

Also if you are into asthetics, it is easier to get something that looks cohesive when you buy it complete. Parts guns pretty much always end up looking like parts guns.

I got a Faxon lightweight BCG. I immediately noticed the bolt was lose in the carrier compared to what I am used to with AR BCGs. The bolt bore was out of round and just barely inside milspec... for before the bore is chrome plated. I tried to send it back and got a ton of attitude because I didn't buy it direct from Faxon. Also got told everything is checked to be in "milspec" before leaving Faxon and I have to be wrong.

I am a machinist with a 1-year certification that includes inspection techniques.

This. I built an almost direct copy of the upper, with the only difference being the placement of the WML light, and it is incredibly handy and good. In hindsight, I would have gone with a slightly heavier 16" barrel so I could change muzzle devices, and it wouldn't heat up as fast.

Pros
>LIGHT
>handy as hell
>comfy to carry/hold because of no real sharp edges
Cons
>barrel gets hot really fast, becomes uncomfortable to hold.
Not really an issue in a match when you are shooting ~2 mags at a time followed by a cool down period, but i wouldn't take it to a day long class.

Overall, it is a great rifle for what it is, as long as you are willing to accept the disadvantages of the pencil barrel for it being lighter.

Attached: WWSD upper.jpg (235x437, 127K)

>Toolcraft BCG
Isn't that what PSA uses? They go on sale for $50 pretty often
>Geissele SCH
Raptor is better IMO, but paying extra for a BCG seems a bit silly.
>K2
Love my K2+. Definitely worth the $25.
>A5
It's definitely not worth it on it's own. You have to get a special tube and buffer. But I have a UBR, so I just had to pay the $30 for the buffer. You can notice the difference, it feels more like a rifle length buffer.
>Troy Folding BattleSights
>MBUS Pros
You are both retarded, BUIS are worthless.
>LVPOs
Just buy 2 red dots (one main, one backup, BUIS are dumb) and a PA 4-14x44 for when you need to do precision anything. Unless you are gaming you will never need both on demand, but I'm presuming the typical AR in the typical enthusiasts hands is going to be going to the range once every other month and shooting groups or doing drills out to no more than 100yds. The only time I have my mag on is when I'm assessing the precision of a load. Better to get better with the 1x.
>14.5" barrel with pinned 'thing'
That's just fucking retarded. How much more weight and balance is affected by going to 16" and not restricting yourself? I have never seen a 14.5" pinned gun at the range EVER. Most people are shooting 16" guns, whether it's FF or a M4gery. And if I see something longer than that, they are usually sporting a big old scope, bipod, the works.
>light
Didn't know he was building an HD gun.

Build a A1 or CAR.