Are artillery Pogs?

Can artillery be considered actual arms corps soldiers?
>15-20kms away from front line
>Dont get up close to the enemy
>little to no danger in comparison to Infantry, armoured and engineers
>get to live and work in tents, plenty of jack rations
>Plenty of time to build and prepare their defences, fighting pits
>Vehicle mounted
>Very popular among females wanting to join a combat arm because it doesn't require high fitness or endurance, less pack marching and infantry related jobs.

Well?

Attached: EK5YY7CK7BC2RHP5VSC2C5GPDQ.jpg (1200x800, 188K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Coral–Balmoral
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The average artillery crew probably has a higher body count than most infantry squads, so they're better than grunts

Depends if what they're shooting actually kills people.

I'm not in the military but artillery are in the mud.
They're also not always 15km away, but around the frontline.

Also they will have to practice "shoot and scoot" in real wars, and are major targets for enemy air assets.

I'd say they're not POG's but they're not door kickers either. Kind of like tankers or something.

Yeah that's the way I see it too.

Yeah but its not like each individual actually went up and personally slotted any of those kills. You really think the guy running the ammo from the truck counts?
Lets face it most of the time it doesnt. Effects on target can mean alot of things and thats the purpose of Artillery.
If your not a door kicker then youre not a combatant. Sorry to say but its the truth. Only exception is recon forces which FOs fall under but Im talking about gunners.

0811 here. Yes artillery is a POG MOS, any MOS not infantry is a POG MOS. Being a grunt isn’t a good thing, you’re the least combat effective and take the most casualties in a combined arms battle. You’re literally there to take up space and allow the enemy to commit to getting blown away by armor, artillery, and air strikes.

>Get to live in tents
No we don’t, you sleep on the ground or in the trucks. You get wet, it’s cold and dirty. The only tent in an artillery battery is the FDC tent which is occupied by computers and other equipment, and a few select FDC guys.

>Plenty of rations
If you consider two MREs a day a lot better than what grunts get I guess it’s a lot.

>Plenty of time to prepare defenses.
You realize digging fighting holes, crew serve pits, vehicle berms and other defensive structures fucking sucks right? If we got attacked it would be an extremely bad day for both parties. The guns have to be exposed and the vehicles are lightly armored, if at all.

>Vehicle mounted.
I don’t see how this matters, the guns are towed by a truck yes. Yeah you don’t hike as much as infantry. But you have an assload more gear than grunts do, artillery requires tons of SL3 and the rounds aren’t light.

>very popular among females
We have none, not a single female Artillery marine in my entire battalion. You can count the number of female 0811s in the entire corps with your fingers. It’s not an MOS for people with low upper body strength. The one female that was in my battalion went AWOL on her first field op due to the strenuous nature of the job.

Long story short, yes artillery are POGS, so are Engineers by the way. Grunts shouldn’t be idolized and it’s probably the worst MOS you can have in the combat arms community. It’s cool but the damage to your body through the hikes is stupid as fuck to sign up for. The promotion path is garbage as well, the cutting scores get very high during wartime.

Attached: 1E3FCED7-06F4-4C86-B5D8-AABC9D08F742.jpg (1024x683, 126K)

As far as the front line thing goes, it’s not a sure thing that you’ll always be 10-20km from the enemy. Certain missions require high angle shots which have to be performed much closer. The front can change very quickly in a modern war too; this isn’t WW1 where the maximum you could hope to advance in a day is measured in the hundreds of meters. You can advance as fast as your vehicles will allow it lol.

How was Lawton?

>one female that was in my battalion went AWOL on her first field op
ayyyyy the fuck lmao was this on Pendleton?? 2/11 here, got out in 2016 right when they were bringing them in.

Being student status sucks and the locals are garbage tier. Go to the lake a lot though, it’s a good time.

>or in the trucks.

Obviously, what I meant was you dont stomp 30kms in the rain, get into position, spend 5 hours digging a hole filled with water, sleep in it for an hour then get up and move again. Any top cover=hotel out field. Whether its a cam net, truck or just a hoochie strung over your gun pit. Point is you have plenty of time to set it up, husband it, keep water out and you dont need to remain super tactical IE you can stand up and move shit around.
>If you consider two MREs a day a lot better than what grunts get I guess it’s a lot.
Never met an Aussie gun detachment who ate MREs. Our guys always had jerky, cold cuts, na'an bread, spam, spam, more spam, stoves, sauces, rice, pasta.
>You realize digging fighting holes, crew serve pits, vehicle berms and other defensive structures fucking sucks right?
Yes BUT theres a difference between doing it on the front line in a super tactical environment and doing it in the rear. You literally have rock breakers, mattocks, proper shovels.
>I don’t see how this matters,
Yeah you clearly are a POG then. Do a 20km stomp with 70kgs on your body at night then tell me that vehicles arent a big deal.
>But you have an assload more gear than grunts do, artillery requires tons of SL3 and the rounds aren’t light.
Youre literally moving them from the gun truck to the gun which is metres away. It takes strength not fitness. Something most young men prefer to have.
>Grunts shouldn’t be idolized
Fact is they are. Theyre the ones who get books, movies made about them historians talking about them. The tougher the job the more glory.
>It’s cool but the damage to your body through the hikes is stupid as fuck to sign up for.
Well I guess if you're a pussy you'd say that.

Nah lol it was during an ITX.

>an entire post of SEETHING grunt rage about having to hike

Lmao

>a grunt is not SF running around doing coolguy shit.
>a grunt does not go to a any rear area for weeks at a time.
>a grunt is bored and tired 99% of combat time.
>a grunt does not have amenities up the ass. >a grunt closes width with the enemy and destroys them, sometimes.
>a grunt lives a horrible shitty life humping heavy shit.

Artillery carries shells 5 meters max and stays in cops/fobs most the time. Their casualty rate measures only with hearing loss. Therefore they are pogs.

Attached: 0.jpg (2048x1361, 385K)

So this is the thread where the disposable cannon fodder tries to shit on everyone else

>If your not a door kicker then youre not a combatant. Sorry to say but its the truth.

Attached: 1522887307644.jpg (642x609, 41K)

The funniest thing is that cannon fodder accurately describes infantry, artillery bait.

Whatever kid. I probably fucked your gf. Besides if you took the rucking out of it Infantry is hands down the coolest job.

>if you took the rucking out

Now this is coping

Attached: 3672CA18-E04A-4486-B368-3ECC866993EF.jpg (480x360, 21K)

If you remove 90% of the job, it's a cool job.

Yeah, I love standing in a room for twelve hours pissing in bottles and watching nothing happen in 120 degree heat.

>If your not a door kicker then youre not a combatant.
this really exemplifies how much of a retard you are

Gunbunnies are POGs. FDC are POGs. Radar are POGs. FOs are POGs but cool POGs.

hey retard. First off, i have no gf, im on 4chin. Second, humping weight is your job as an infantryman. If you took that out of it you're literally left with 90% jacking off, 9% ripping cigs, and 1% shooting at rocks and trees.

>i have no gf
>im on 4chin
cringe

Sometimes not having a GF is the advantageous position to be in.

T.have a gf

Arty companies and battalions can and do establish their own forward firebases. Sometimes these are separate from infantry bases, so they manage their own security. Obviously we're the cavalry who swoop in on QRF once they start getting in the shit, but the fact remains. Being a former 11B, obviously I'm a bit biased when I say that they're still mostly pogues, but they're pretty close. On my last tour, one of the aforementioned firebases held by an arty unit did get attacked and overrun, so it's not like they're not fundamentally a combat arms MOS. At the same time, they're not out on patrol every day moving to destroy the enemy.

One thing I will say though is that because of their tangential relationship to grunts and technical designation as a combat arms MOS, they will overcompensate like crazy for it. Artillery is the king of battle and the infantry's best friend, so you'll never hear me actually shit talk them. That said don't be one of those massive fags driving around post in your F150 with an enormous COMBAT ARMS sticker on the rear window. That shit is mad gay. In the infantry, those kinds of ostentatious displays ring real fucking false, especially considering we know you don't actually do our job.

>arty firebase overrun

Yeah nah cunt, when did this happen.

Kandahar province in 2010.

>At the same time, they're not out on patrol every day moving to destroy the enemy.

There you have it kids.

What?

What did you say?

>>asks question
>>tells everyone theyre wrong
Dont make a thread ever again, fucknut

Attached: FB_IMG_1544774400180.jpg (666x533, 30K)

Be honest, if the enemy was close enough, could/would you just point the gun right at em? Thatd be cray, yo

Say again?

who the fuck cares except arty fags and grunts shitting on each other?

user you clearly are asking op to repeat what he stated.
just say repeat next time. 1 word is better than 2.

That said don't be one of those massive fags driving around post in your F150 with an enormous COMBAT ARMS sticker on the rear window
fuck you i was a marine, i earned that sticker!

apparently i cant into greentext. i'll go scrape the sticker off right now im sorry guys.
semper fi

Repeat?

Attached: squashed pepe.jpg (400x400, 17K)

Yes direct fire is a thing. We train for it, but keep in mind the kill radius for a 155mm HE shell is 50 meters, the casualty radius largely depends on the details of the impact and fuse setting but it’s in the hundreds of meters. If it got to the point where direct fire was viable, it’s already an extremely bad situation.

There are a few words that uttering on the gunline will get you fucked up.

>Repeat
>Fire
>Fire Mission
>Check Fire

thank you for your service, SIR.

good, concise message. keep your chatter concise on comms, arty appreciates it.
fuck you. 1st amendment bitch

NO DONT

Attached: angry pepe.png (237x236, 90K)

None of you know how fucking hard computer systems programmers hav it in the Air Force. You think it’s tough doing a bit of walking? Try writing code for 6 HOURS in a row. Try sleeping while your roommate is snoring loud as shit. Sounds like you might be pogs yoruself

last shots were danger close, I REPEAT, danger close!!! how copy?! over.

>little to no danger in comparison to Infantry, armoured and engineers

You are very wrong, as they are under constant counter-fire and air attacks.

>Vehicle mounted
Not really, self-propelled artillery is not used in such numbers that it could be the only source of artillery fire in large conflicts.

Attached: fa54e8c1.jpg (1920x1311, 532K)

>155mm HE shell is 50 meters,

75* for single gun battery.

Yes because the Taliban or even the Iraqis had great counter battery capabilities.
>inb4 russia and iran
we'll see

>Incorrect RATEL, out to you
>21 fetch sunray minor over.

t. ex Australian FO

What does this even mean? I’m talking about the generally regarded kill radius of a single M795 going off.

OP here. On another note can someone explain to me why the fuck the US Army have so many goddamn different uniforms? Like how the hell does it work do you guys wear whatever you want or is the cunt in blue like some new comer and the guys wearing Multi-Cam are old guys.

75*=75 metres, Idiot. Which is the kill radius of a standard 155mm shell.
>Muh powder bag

We have dress uniforms, PT uniforms, and duty uniforms. Not that complicated really. All three get regularly changed.

Im talking about the fact you have a blue cam uniform and then the MCU. Which one do you wear??

>Are artillery Pogs?
Absolutely, pogs are basically anyone who doesn't patrol. However the stigma is just a big cope because grunt life is either miserable, painfully boring or both. And its kind of a meaningless distinction anyway, eods are pogs and they do way cooler stuff than infantry, sometimes attached to sof too.

The blue one was the old navy uniform. The army wears a mix of ACU and OCP uniforms, but they’ll all by wearing OCP, which is basically multicam soon.

Marines have two uniforms and the air force has a uniform similar to ACUs.

Their guns don't even have triggers, how do they even count as soldiers?

Enduring the misery is a point of pride. We're tougher than you are. We can put up with some of the hardest conditions a human being can endure and keep going.

^^

/thread

Jesus christ, It sounds like your artillery branch is stuck in the 1970s...

I would like to serve, but my eyesight is fucked just enough to preclude aiming a gun without glasses (I feel like I see fine without them). Could a foreigner sign up with the US artillery corps?

During the transition from UCP to OCP you could wear either or. There was a period of time where wearing g Multicam meant you had been in for a while because you'd deployed. Then there was a period of time where wearing UCP meant you had been around a little while because you'd been around when they were still issued.

No Fuck off we're full.

Thank god it is, a lot of things are changing though.

Hazing is pretty much not allowed anymore, females are still extremely frowned upon and the marines actively try to change physical standards of artillery every time one makes it through training.

>Not really, self-propelled artillery is not used in such numbers that it could be the only source of artillery fire in large conflicts.

Doesnt most euro nations only have SPGs? Russia is pretty SPG heavy too, but they have a few towed guns still around

You get issued glasses, talk to someone at an embassy near you for more info though. A lot of foreigners join.

Russia has mostly towed guns. The advance of towed guns is they are much easier to deploy in meaningful numbers over large distances than SPGs. There is a reason the marines don’t use the Paladin.

OP here I think I should reiterate. When I say 'POG'I dont literally mean people who aren't infantry I mean are Artillery viewed as soft cock, cowards due to the nature of their job keeping them out of danger, requiring less fitness and skills.

The reason I started this thread was because Im currently considering joining the Army or Marines, not because I want a career but because I wont to prove myself and earn pedigree in a broterhood. I have the fitness to accomplish Infantry but I know for a fact I wont get along with Infantry types and I will hate the job but I could do it. Artillery interests me and the fact that in the Army I could still do Airborne, FO and then Ranger, recon and pathfinder courses turns me on but alas Artillery isnt infantry. My father was a grunt and he's basically a turbo alpha male but Im not. I did inherit his fitness and strength but I dont care for the whole frat boy lifestyle that is infantry.

So im asking is if I served as an artilleryman and then 30 years later went to a veterans parade would people laugh at me or respect me?

That is so fucking gay
>Im gona wear outdated and useless shit to assert my seniority

>Thank god it is, a lot of things are changing though.

Thats probably good, but still, not even a decent tent to sleep in? Its like you want your troops to fuck shit up because they are to tired. Also, a lot lf it comes from beeing in a towed battery I guess.

>is [x] viewed as...
Belay that shit. Do what YOU want to do. If you choose any job in the military for a reason that's contingent upon what others think of you, you're going to be miserable. I can't stress this enough. Other people aren't going to be the ones doing your job, you are. Do a job you think is interesting, find someone who has done it, ask them what they thought about it. Ask them why, and if they'd do it again. Actually stop and think about those reasons. Many people will be negative in some or many ways about their service, myself included. Many, myself again included, would go back and do it again regardless.

Use your own head. Once you raise your hand and sign your life away, there'll be more than enough time to have others delineate your life to you. Use your last real personal agency to make the right decision based on what YOU want.

It wasn’t to assert authority or dick measure. You got issued the new uniform if you deployed to Afghanistan. It was convenient to wear the multicam and it looked better than UCPs.

Bro if you’re that insecure about your image then just go infantry lol. The only people that will ever call you a POG are grunts if you join the artillery. Even less so if you join marine artillery. Be an FO if you’re up for a cool MOS.

We still have sleeping gear lol. You get issued a tarp, bivvy sack, and sleeping bag, along with a mat to sleep on and a poncho liner to use as extra warmth.

Sleeping on the ground isn’t bad at all unless it rains, in which case you either set up a tarp overhead or sleep in the back of the truck.

Oh yeah another thing, once you emplace and the position has been set up. If you’re not actively in a fire mission you can sit down and do whatever. It’s not uncommon to see entire guns sleeping (minus one guy) while waiting for a mission. There’s only so much position improvement to do and once you’re proficient at your job, you can wake up once you hear the order come down for a mission. Only the chief and recorder need to be up during a hot status.

>The only people that will ever call you a POG are grunts if you join the artillery
Yeah if you really can't get over this, remember that grunts are a huge minority of all members of the military. You'll probably never interact with a grunt unless you are one or directly support them. Most of the military responds to the infantry pride by looking down on them in return for whatever reasons they can muster. Pogues are surrounded by other pogues who reinforce each other.

Thanks

Romeos are the biggest shitbags in arty. Possibly the army.

>Bro if you’re that insecure about your image then just go infantry lol.

Ok I will. Thanks.

Be very considerate with what branch you join, the army offers a lot of opportunity that the marine corps doesn’t.

Im joining the infantry. I want to be able to bully other people because they are less than. Fuck it its only 4 years.

Are bomber pilots? I'd say so.

Attached: 214B6FCB-5833-46D7-A791-2959A222E13C.png (670x750, 356K)

fucking hell the paintjobs in your pic are aesthetic as hell

Confirm
-have a wife

What was the Battle of Coral-Balmoral? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Coral–Balmoral

Shelldrake getting stuck in to the NVA and VC, so well that they were awarded honorary Infantry Combat Badges.

Look up some of the direct fire shells they had in Vietnam. Beehive shells are the ones i think

Real question is whether FISTERS are POGs, I consider them Trans-POG as the shift toward Rip-It hoarding bitch is very quick when not attached to the Infantry platoon as an observer. Also Fuck big army for re-aligning observers back to the battery.

>eods are pogs
Not in the military but isn't the measure of how "pogueish" a job is its danger?

Isn't EOD dangerous as hell?

Hmm, I allways assumed that you tried to stick bit further back and only advance and set up prior to an expected fire mission (to avoid counter battery). And then naturally gtfo as fast as possible after rounds complete

Not while they're attached to a line platoon. They do literally everything with the grunts they're attached to every step of the way. Their officers are pogues though. NCOs too.

Artillery is the most high IQ branch
Napoleon was an artillery man

Yes but even then you’ll still have a position set up to provide serious support if needed. If you have to keep relocating artillery then it’s ability to lay down rounds is severely reduced.

itt: a bunch of CARless faggots screaming pog and the pogs who dont fucking care

Yeah naturally that ability is reduced, thats the whole point of your enemys counter battery fire. But getting blownto bits will also reduce your ability to lay down fire

it's some real boomer shit that P O G is pronounced pogue

you'd think itd be said like it's spelled but fuckin boomers bringin in that extra ue

POG is a backronym. The word has been around much longer in the military than its association to "personal other than grunt."

[Citation Needed]

Nah it was more like "I have all these uniforms I paid for and do on I won't be able to do anything with them because they're useless and gay. Better get some mileage out of them while I can."

Kajaki, afghanistan 2010

FOs work in infantry units. If you wouldn't do well on an infantry unit, don't be an FO.

You don't say repeat when you're artillery, it has a completely different meaning.