Puttees for the Boogaloo

I want your opinion boys, during ww1 puttees (legwraps) were issued to help blood circulation in the legs during long marches as well as protect the shins from bramble/barbed wire. They cost nothing to make and you can buy reproductions for fairly cheap. Would they be a viable part of your kit today?

Attached: 3286C43A-1712-487F-A7FD-53ACCD82888C.jpg (464x560, 44K)

they where the Shemagh of their day

Attached: -Bill-Clinton-and-Bill-Cosbycopy_1532741509.jpg (1606x882, 482K)

How do they help blood circulation if you know? But yeah I think they're good. You ever go through the grass or woods at night or morning and your pants get wet? These if you waterproofed them would be nice. Along with the shin protection.

modern compression wraps are more effective and stupid cheap. if you wanna look like a faggot with that dumb shit over your pants dont let me stop you

this is just as viable so if duct tape

Attached: s-l1600 (1).jpg (800x800, 105K)

camofabric tape? neat

why? gaiters do the same thing and aren't a pain in the ass to put on correctly.

When you stand on your feet for a long time blood pools in the lower legs and causes fatigue and pain. Compression wraps or socks simply squeeze the legs to stop blood from pooling there thus improving blood flow.

Those don't look like normal puttees they're suppose to have the part that connects the lower part wrapped around the boot so it sucks up moisture from the mud and you get trench foot so they can conscript someone else to do this bull shit once in a while. Maybe just blouse your fucking pant legs like a normal fucking person by tucking that shit into your boots or using blousing bands?

is that a real thing? i dont think i believe that. i been on some long marches and never experienced that. im physically healthy and a non degenerate tho.

its definitely more of an issue for people with congestive heart failure but i don't see why it wouldn't be beneficial for healthy people assuming you take them off routinely and don't have them on very tight.

puttees are also sort of obsolete because, unlike back in WWI, we have elastic socks.

there are a few times where you need more protection than just blousing your boots but overall i agree.
and in those few instances just use gaiters.

i've also never heard that. if it weren't a load of shit then you'd see a lot more hikers using compression on their lower legs for bloodflow reasons.
blood won't pool anywhere if you're constantly moving, it keeps getting pumped away. unless you're really old and your body is starting to fail.

sounds like you tried to make up a reason for them being at all practical in hiking today.
they weren't even for hiking back then, it's just more protection where you're more likely to get cuts and scrapes and helps keep water out.

i just said they couldn't hurt as long as you wear them safely. im not OP

no you said they keep blood from pooling in your lower legs if you're standing up all day.

OP here, I ask only because I have a few pairs. I am a ww1 re-enactor (I know laugh it up lads) and have had nothing but good experiences in the past. I can wrap them properly and frankly I like the way they feel. If the eccentric buffalo happened tomorrow, would it be helpful to use these?

>to help blood circulation in the legs during long marches
objectively false
>ONLY TO protect the TROUSERS from bramble/barbed wire.
because it was easier/cheaper to produce and distribute replacement wraps than entire sets of pants, and cheaper than building taller boots
>Would they be a viable part of your kit today
gaiters are better than spiral wraps in every way

also false
if your body literally can't handle standing up you need to see a doctor

The most helpful thing would be if you posted some jazz music or something like that from that time period. That was more than entertaining. I think most people have a heritage tied into that sort of thing and it ironically sounds nothing like most country music in a post modern time. Fairly classical instruments doing some fun stuff. Nobody ever warred all the time. What did they do when they weren't doing that? Not propaganda music just something you might enjoy. Like a girl that can blow you like a trumpet.

i bought some of that shit, it doesn't even stick to itself, -20% waterproof.

How do they help with circulation?

Puttees are objectively for people who cannot affored better kit.

Buy taller boots or better pants, you poor.

Does anyone make good(really good) slip on versions of these, or perhaps with a zipper running up them? All the medical type ones are shitty socks and the coppertop things and exercise sleeves seem to be junk too. I think, besides for hiking through rough brush and shit, these were effective in keeping good blood flow/circulation in your lower legs and feet for soldiers who were on their feet for extremely long hours.

I imagine they are great. They would keep your legs from swelling if you are on your feet for long hours, especially on sentry duty. Medical versions of these are called compression socks and help to prevent edema, swelling, and generally keep your legs from feeling "achey"

Northface, or REI, or any hiking outfitter, sells gaiters. Don't use wraps, they're broke ass poorfag gaiters

Based AI bot poster

virtually everything "camo" with shitty designs like that is shitty and appeals to larpers.
it's always low quality

how fat are you people where your feet are swelling from standing around all day? im serious.
i was in the marines and we did plenty of standing around all the time and at no point did anyone complain about their feet swelling from it unless they already had an injury.
no one even advised to check your feet for swelling if you had been standing at a post for 8 hours straight after walking around all day beforehand. wtf

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Snake Guardz

Attached: Khaki_Tan_-_Nylon_2_360x.jpg (360x508, 17K)

>a non degenerate tho.
Disgusting

>people talk out of their ass about the utility of a thing
>ask them a question to understand why they have this niche issue
>>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
literally only old people and fat people have extremity swelling issues due to activity. which one are you?
im not some fit god by any measure but lying about the purpose of shit that soldiers wore, aka generally healthy dudes, is dumb.
gaiters serve the same purpose these days and are easier to use.

i mean imo it depends on your environment. you shouldn't wear them everyday or anything but if you are going off the beaten path it won't hurt. there are just modern equivalents that are easier to slip on and off.

>swelling issues due to activity
Didn't he say on sentry duty? Is that considered activity in the US Marines?

>When you stand on your feet for a long time
>is that a real thing? i dont think i believe that. i been on some long marches
Literal retard

are you seriously suggesting that one of the main benefits of wearing these is when you're either standing still or casually roving?
did you ever get feet swelling from pulling sentry duty?
post literally anything to back up your claim.

also no he said
>hey would keep your legs from swelling if you are on your feet for long hours, especially on sentry duty.
and referred to fucking compression socks as something in a similar role.
GIs werent issued these due to swelling and if you think that, you are a grade A retard.

Standing, not marching.
The human body is not optimized to stand, but has been optimized to walk.

I have those exact ones but I actually need them for catching rattlesnakes.

High boots do the same thing as puttees did - apply light pressure around the calf.

their purpose is not to apply pressure to your lower legs, they are protective garments, holy shit.
>he needs extra gear so his feet don't swell when standing by
right on.

I have puttee and gaiters and I've worn them both in the woods in inclement weather. I'd take the gaiters any day for simplicity, weight, and not getting laden down with mud, water, or snow. But they work if they're what you have. And my puttee were 1/4 the price. Plus puttee help as an insulating layer and can have multiple uses.

Yes, the condition is called varicose veins and it often happens to people like security guards that have to stand in one place for extended periods of time. that's why the honor guard of most countries walk around a little bit occasionally. you can also significantly mitigate blood pooling in the lower legs by simply flexing your calf from time to time. If you look at the royal guard, for example, you can see them do this occasionally. But even a healthy adult male will eventually get the condition if they are literally just standing around doing nothing.

Canvas/leather gaiters would serve you far far far far far far far better in any situation other than filling in for a dummy at a WWI museum.