Stealth Gripen

It's no secret that Mr. Grippy isn't selling well (Read: at all) right now. Would he be doing better if SAAB put in the resources to redesign the air frame to be stealthy?

Attached: saabconcept.jpg (800x590, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wYvaetQ4h7g
janes.com/article/88685/sweden-confirms-uk-tempest-talks-ambivalent-on-franco-german-fcas
shephardmedia.com/news/defence-notes/saab-makes-statement-intent-tempest/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

People would rather purchase MiG, Sukhoi, F-16 and Typhoon instead of that useless somali engineered shit.

SAAB barely designed the original Gripen, BAE did much of the early work. And SAAB certianly don't have the money or know how to make a 5th gen.

And the Draken and Viggen were designed by Finnish aerospace engineers who moved to Sweden after WW2. The Gripen is pretty much an American plane wrapped in a Swedish shell but less cost-effective than its American counterparts.

It couldn't hurt. It would definitely be worthwhile to make a reduced RCS version

>no DSI or boundary layer separation
Haha! enjoy your flame outs

i don't think that's really feasible. the level of stealth that really matters can't be achieved without internal weapons bays, which entails upsizing of airframe, which in turn requires a more powerful engine and kills the charm of gripen as a competitively priced small fighter. plus, it's hard to come by a fighter engine capable of powering a respectable single engine stealth fighter like F-35, as america doesn't sell its high-end fighter engines like F135 and F119 alone and western euros only have f414 class (around 20,000 lbf) engines for now. being a single engine fighter, gripen's expandability will always be confined by the performance of the engine they can get. single engine fighters are subject to the matter more than twin-engine fighters are, since they can't solve it by using two mid-range engines but they gotta get one powerful engine; and seeing even the F-35's air-to-air combat capabilities are sometimes questioned despite the fact its F135 engine, one of the most powerful fighter engines in existence, has twice the thrust of gripen's F414, it wouldn't be an easy thing.

I'd just get a in a partnership for the FCAS, push the EU to include it in PESCO, and then pay for a modern Gripen with EU money

youtube.com/watch?v=wYvaetQ4h7g this boy

>redesign the air frame to be stealthy
Horrible idea, just start over from scratch.

Based

This is pretty retarded but the French have absolutely fantastic microturbines for their latest exocets. Could you bundle three of those in a central power pack and get comparable power?

Attached: Erik's future 2020 Gripen.jpg (1600x900, 132K)

Brazil's first Gripens should arrive by the end of this year.

Colombia, Finland and Philippines seem like good potential sales targets too. I would have said Taiwan but they just started getting their F-16Vs earlier this year.

Attached: gripen ng.jpg (800x530, 57K)

um, assuming you mean the TRI-40, it has a thrust of 800 lbf, so, with three you can get 2,400 lbf, while the f414 is a 20,000 lbf class engine, and the f135 is 40,000 lbf class....

Interesting.

Probably easier to strip out the military FCS and whatnot for civilian models to sell to civilians to boost the sales than to make a stealth version.

>Draken and Viggen

And both have Volvo engines, despite what the SAAB adverts said.

She's such an aesthetic plane, it's a shame she doesn't sell well.

Your just asking for the gripen cult just get F-35s lmao

Better than the rafale

Attached: FYJWHaC.jpg (1600x900, 153K)

Attached: 4f49007c7f92ac257f7318eab8a9e833.jpg (1600x900, 138K)

They are going to working with the U.K. on a next gen jet iirc so I doubt it.

>They are going to working with the U.K. on a next gen jet iirc so I doubt it
[X] Doubt

This is karma for Saab AB going out of business and not producing bitchin' cars anymore.

>FCAS tears
janes.com/article/88685/sweden-confirms-uk-tempest-talks-ambivalent-on-franco-german-fcas

Yeah, we all read that. "Confirms talks" does not equate to "they are going to work with"

Oh, no no no!

It looks like Saab favors Tempest compared to FCAS.

>statement of interest
Yes, it's the "confirms talks"

Intent*
It's even an older article then so there isn't really any news

Understand the difference between *interest* and *intent* my ESL friend.

I didn't suggest it was a new article, but it's just one of many bits that confirm that Saab favors Tempest more than FCAS. I know it upsets you greatly, but these are the facts.

>Draken and Viggen
>both have Volvo engines
You mean Rolls-Royce and Pratt & Whitney.

>confirm that Saab favors Tempest more than FCAS
It does. It also by no mean confirms that "they are going to work with"

go ahead and make a stealth f16 while we're at it.
stealth f18.
stealth b52.
stealth b1.
stealth c130.
stealth c5.

just make every plane stealth, cmon guys this aint rocket science. you dont want these planes shot down do you???

They aren't going to work FCAS and expressed interest in the Tempest.

What do you think the statement of intent is? They have stated they intend to work on Tempest.

You have both the Swedish government and Saab confirming them favoring Tempest - it cannot get any more weighted than that.

>What do you think the statement of intent is? They have stated they intend to work on Tempest.
The statement "confirms talks", which doesn't mean anything. They're interested, and that's it
>it cannot get any more weighted than that.
Yes it can, with an official confirmation signed by the Swedish government announcing their entrance in the program, like Spain did at the PAS a few weeks ago

>The statement "confirms talks", which doesn't mean anything. They're interested, and that's it
Cite that, please because the article does not indicate that it "confirms talks", but their intentions for the Tempest program.

>Yes it can, with an official confirmation signed by the Swedish government announcing their entrance in the program, like Spain did at the PAS a few weeks ago
You'll be denying Tempest has partners or even exists right until it goes into production as you've done on this board since it was first announced.

The latest article on the program "confirms talks", meaning that there is nothing new to report to saf
>You'll be denying Tempest has partners or even exists right until it goes into production as you've done on this board since it was first announced.
No, I wont. Not an argument

Why the fuck I can't type today?

You're seeth is getting the better of you.

So I ask you again, back up your post please because the article does not indicate that it "confirms talks", but their intentions for the Tempest program.

>Speaking to reporters on 21 May, Peter Hultqvist, Swedish Minister for Defence, confirmed previously reported talks with the UK on including Swedish industry, specifically Saab, in the UK project to develop a manned combat aircraft for the 2030 timeframe.
Sounds a lot like confirming talks to me

That quote is not related to Saab's statement of intent in the article:
As we were talking about in
But, of course, you knew that and decided to be disingenuous by citing the other article.

That's because it's an older article. If the government actually agreed on joining the program it would say so on the newer, most updated article. But it doesn't, so it was just clickbait and as of May 21th 2019 the only news is that "talks are confirmed"
Unless you're trying to say that they went from a statement of intent to just talks, which would mean the situation is not only not improving but getting worse

Excellent work at trying to spin this so lets go over the facts for the sake of everyone else:
>Saab make a statement of intent of joining Tempest
>favorable talks are still underway between Saab & Team Tempest
>Swedish government are also engaging in favorable talks with the British government for Tempest

I have twice now asked to you back up your post saying that Saab's statement of intent, is not a statement of intent but just "confirming talks" - you have failed to do so and somehow ending up concluding that Saab & Tempest are in a worse state for it.

>I have twice now asked to you back up your post saying that Saab's statement of intent, is not a statement of intent but just "confirming talks"
As I said, both are true, and neither are "they are going to work with" >you have failed to do so and somehow ending up concluding that Saab & Tempest are in a worse state for it.
That was just a joke, sad you didn't catch the obvious irony

>As I said, both are true, and neither are "they are going to work with"
You didn't answer the question.

For the third time, please back up your statement that a "statement of intent" is not in fact, a statement of intent.

>That was just a joke, sad you didn't catch the obvious irony
Ah, yes because you can hear tone across text.

So here are the facts once again:
>Swedish government are also engaging in favorable talks with the British government for Tempest

>For the third time, please back up your statement that a "statement of intent" is not in fact, a statement of intent.
It is, I guess. If it meant "Sweden is joining team Tempest" (in January, apparently), why is it back to talks in May?
Exactly. Probably Sweden will join the project one day. So far (and to my knowledge) that hasn't happened, hence my first post

Is that a trainer?
Why would you need a 2 seat Gripen

Look up Flygsystem 2020. It's the project name for the next-gen stealth version of the gripen platform

>take J20
>add external mounts to it

unimpressive

>stealth f16
That's more or less what an F-35 is. In terms of its intended role, of course, not actual design.