Open-bolt pistols

how come open-bolt pistols aren't a thing? Like, when the slide is locked back it's in the ready to fire position. Pull the trigger, slide flies forward, barrel locks, and fires

Attached: farcry12_M.jpg (999x749, 291K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W4VTq0sa9yg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The ATF

The ATF

Also, are you unfamiliar with what folks who routinely fire open bolt subguns say about single shot? It sucks. Good luck holding on target when the slide slams forward on a handgun.

Because the ATF ruled that everything open bolt is so easy to convert to a machine gun that they might as well be machineguns, so nobody's had the bright idea to manufacture one.

stop giving me ideas

Also, it would just suck as a gun in general. You'd pull the trigger, have to wait for this huge heavy mass to slam forward and fuck up your point of aim, then it'd fire.

According to ATF open bolt = machine gun. Even if single shot.

what advantage do you think this is going to give you? I can't think of any. but I can think of plenty of disadvantages.

what is the advantage of an open-bolt machinegun?

does it let the chamber cool faster or something?

Considering the reciprocation of the slide affects the ergonomics and shape of the gun, and how pistols are meant to be handled and carried, traditional handguns in open-bolt configuration are stupid and dangerous.

There are open-bolt machine pistols with contained reciprocating actions, but those are machine-pistols, and also relatively dangerous due to the nature of the mechanism that automatically fires a cartridge if the action closes somehow other than the trigger pulling.

Legally, especially relevant in the US, they are also much easier to convert into a machine gun. Since the bolt simply closing is proper function of the firearm, you can just destroy the single-shot disconnector in a traditional open-bolt blowback firearm, and have a gun that goes through ammo as long as you pull the trigger. Try that with a semi-auto, and the hammer will follow the bolt, and not have enough momentum to make the next shot fire.

The ATF fucked open-bolt semi-autos in 1982.

Attached: nigloadout.png (1300x2253, 2.82M)

Open bolt fast, closed more accurate.

You can't have cook-offs if your cartridge isn't in the chamber.

no ammunition cook off

what makes open-bolt faster?

that makes sense. so it isn't that the chamber cools faster, it just means there's less time for the round to be inside the hot chamber to begin with.

That's what people say. I think the bigger thing is that the risk of a cook-off is way lower since dwell time in the chamber necessarily less.

Not that that's important on anything other than a mounted gun, unless private chucklefuck got to carry the saw.

wouldn't you need to fire a handgun hundreds of times before the chamber was hot enough to cook off a round?

no

You're not worried about the few milliseconds that add up actuating the firing pin giving them higher rates of fire.

Who gives a shit, because you wouldn't hit jack shit no matter how fast it shot.

Think the lower weight has a good deal to do with it.

how many times do you need to shoot before it cooks off a round? do rounds ever cook off in handguns? I've genuinely never heard of this happening before.

okay, I think I understand. do open bolts usually use a fixed firing pin?

That too, less mechanical parts getting in the way all around.

They were a thing

Attached: E1152E2D-0F22-4121-80AB-9AE9A7C279CB.jpg (1536x2048, 1.17M)

I think you replied to the wrong person, or you misunderstood my post

Yea, I've had a couple cook offs happen in my CZ

Yep fixed firing pin

>Yea, I've had a couple cook offs happen in my CZ

really?

That has a bolt.

Yes. I do a lot of rapid fire drills.

how many rounds do you need to shoot before the pistol is hot enough to cause a cookoff?

the tech-9 was an open bolt handgun. it was based on an open-bolt SMG.

1. It would not be very accurate.
2. The purpose of an open bolt design is to prevent cookoffs, which don't happen in semi-auto pistols anyway.

150-200

>The purpose of an open bolt design is to prevent cookoffs, which don't happen in semi-auto pistols anyway.

>I've had a couple cook offs happen in my CZ

youtube.com/watch?v=W4VTq0sa9yg

Took me back. :^)

It's not a slide.

you don't need to have a slide to be a handgun

a handgun is just a gun that's designed to be held and fired with one hand.

One already exists, OP.

Attached: M231 Firing Port Weapon.jpg (227x616, 17K)

Well, the PM-63 exists, so I think that's as close as you're going to get.

Good Christ, imagine an open bolt Glock. People would be losing legs like it's 1864.

I think OP's asking why there aren't any open-slide pistols when open-bolt subguns exist.

Maybe its just me but I always thought beretta 92s looked sick with the slide open. You can actually disable the locking system on a B92 to make it straight blowback, perhaps you could make a firing pin that is just a bit too long and use the slide release as a trigger.

Attached: JS92F300M_3QT_OPEN.png (618x600, 229K)

Cheaper

Even if it were legal, why the fuck would you want to make something that's already difficult to aim and be accurate with even more so?

Then you'd have no method of stopping the gun. It'd just magdump until it was empty.

Also unrelated but I've always wanted a clip-fed handgun that works like a garand and pings out the empty clip when it locks open.

PM63 RAK?

'niggers

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 112K)

Provides cooling to the barrel which helps on life. The other benefit of an open bolt system is that you don't need a complex auto system fitted onto a hammer mechanism. All you need to do is hold the seer out of the way of the bolt.

You'd run a massive risk of out of battery detonation. Say goodbye to some of your face and hand

the barrel on a pistol doesn't wear out because it gets hot you fucking mongoloid