Help me settle an argument between me and my gf. Can a roadside bomb kill the crew of an Abrams tank? I say no...

Help me settle an argument between me and my gf. Can a roadside bomb kill the crew of an Abrams tank? I say no, she says yes.

Attached: 1560924261975.jpg (564x649, 125K)

Other urls found in this thread:

globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iraq_casualties_jun06.htm
army-technology.com/projects/mastiff-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nobody cares about your woman faggot.

Maybe if it's one of those crazy cold war era nuclear landmines, but otherwise no.

post her tits and I might bother writing a reply.

Depends on the size of the bomb. If it can hurl a bradley 100ft up it can kill a tank.

Yea naw

it depends on the size of the bomb. tanks can be absolutely wrecked if you put enough HE near/under them.

Yes, on account of you can always make a bigger bomb

if it's shaped charge, yeah.

Attached: 1553735648837.webm (1280x720, 2.79M)

Well she's carrying my son in her belly so I care, you goober.

Thanks for replies. We were watching a show where a veteran was telling Iraq stories and he said an IED killed everyone inside "a tank" but I assumed he was referring to an APC but used "tank" as a shitty attempt at layman's terms.

haha very cool!

Enjoy that show!

Nice wife ahah!

you really should not be discussing your personal life with a bunch of anonymous strangers on the internet

30 tons of explosives. One of the biggest ever recorded. There are reports of 152mm rounds knocking turrets off of Tiger IIs which is just 88lb of HE. You do the math.

Attached: Block-buster.jpg (992x558, 46K)

Can a bomb big enough to kill a tank be placed along the side of a road?

Yes. What kind of question even is that?

What are you gonna come find me, ya goober?

I know we have figures for how many tanks and aircraft we lost in wwii, are Iraq figures in yet?

this thread is shit

Attached: 1554128428062.gif (360x220, 1.73M)

> (OP)
>if it's shaped charge, yeah.
I don't think you understand Chobham. Literally designed just to make HEAT obselete. Which are literally shape charge cannon rounds.

Only thing to kill a Chobham tank, are depleted uranium sabots.

>What are you gonna come find me, ya goober?

well, I won't. but someone else might.

but aside from that, which of course is a very distant possibility, the immediate threat here is to your soul. if you really loved yourself and your family, you would not expose your personal life to this hellhole. this is a website where people come to crack jokes and talk about niggers. it is not the right place for you to be discussing your family. do you remember what nietzsche said about the abyss? he warned us that if we stare into it too long, it will also stare into us. don't let the abyss poison you or your family, user. just leave it be.

Any target can be defeated with the application of enough explosive. Whatever armor, innovative tech, or upgrade we apply on the battlefield, the enemy's answer has always been more boom.

Yes. Because the Tiger with 120mm of hardened STEEL compares to CHOBHAM that is equivalent to 600-1300mm of steel.

How big is the bomb?

>MUH Chobham
kek'd.

kornet would wreck its shit in an instant.

Attached: 1559441896388.jpg (1300x870, 477K)

>be psychopath hacker
>track down Jow Forums
>sheeeeeeeit

But did a bunch of cameljockeys manage it? Do we have any records of it?

No shit sherlock, but if a mere 88lb of HE can move the entire weight of a tiger II turret then imagine what a few hundred pounds of HE can accomplish not to mention 30 tons.

Well said

>But did a bunch of cameljockeys manage it? Do we have any records of it?

I have definitely seen video of an M1 taking a massive IED straight to the underside. however IIRC that M1 crew rolled away from that encounter with minor injuries.

>muh CHOBHAM
>implying a big enough bomb gives a shit

Is that the one that launched it like 20 feet straight in the air? I bet some of those guys lost a few teeth.

>blatant Reddit spacing
>not even the old college try of fitting in
Just fucking end it already. I'm tired of clown world.

>On June 6, 2006, two of the four soldiers in an Abrams crew were killed during combat operations in Baghdad, when an IED detonated near their M1A2.
globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iraq_casualties_jun06.htm

No tank cant survive a modern 155 mm direct hit, that would hit the upper armour, one of the thinnest part of a tanks armour.
Tanks dont have a homogeneous armour thickness all around. They have most of the armour to the front, then to the sides. The thinnest armour is in the tanks underbelly. Thats where most ieds will explode, as they are in the road. And a Lot of them use artillery rounds.
I guess that most of this ieds dont qualify as a direct hit because they are laid in one side of the road as it would be difficult and easy to detect a ied buried in the middle of the road.
But, as it has been said, put several of them and you can blow a tank

A very vague premise, but of course it's possible. You didn't specify parameters for the explosive in use.

Artillery still fucks up tanks.
Artillery still destroys tanks.
Artillery buried under three inches of sand can fuck up a tank.
You're a faggot.

Are you this lame in real life?

You wont need particularly big EFP to punch through the underbelly of a tank.
I'm no tank autist but how's the side armor in todays MBTs? Would some WW2 era Pak40 or something be able to punch the armor that's behind the tracks?

if it is a copper plate than yea

Low down and towards the rear, probably yeah. Most tanks have side armor designed to defeat chemical warheads, not KE projectiles.

>My son
>Posts on Jow Forums about retarded discussions he has with is 240 pound prediabetic fuckslot

Lol. You're in for a surprise in a couple months when you realize you're raising Jamal Jr.

the crew was outside to the left and probably left the hatch open

Attached: 15194599371840.jpg (1200x723, 166K)

So the blast pressure wave from the HE can kill everyone inside the tank, but not actually kill the tank. The overpressure is transferred thru the hull and pretty much liquidises everyone inside. That's why the mastiffs have deflective under armour, to minimise against blastwave effects within the crew compartment.

army-technology.com/projects/mastiff-2/

>The vehicle is equipped with a v-shaped hull, internal liners and shock- mounted seating.

Short answer - yes, absolutely. Depending on a type of IED, you may need a lot of explosives though. An EFP loaded with 50 pounds of RDX will penetrate a fucking battleship. It'll slice through Abrams' front armor like it's not there, turn its crew into red dust and come flying out the other side along with the engine block turned into shrapnel. If it can strike from the top or bottom, 20 ponds should do it. Result is K-Kill.

Both EFPs and massive conventional IEDs have heavily damaged, destroyed, and killed crew members of Abrams in Iraq. MBTs are very powerful, but not invulnerable.

I think in that one the driver got killed and everyone else got fucked up quite a bit

it's only equivalent to that much RHA against HEAT - if you think it's structurally equivalent to a fucking meter of homogenous steel you're incomprehensibly retarded.

Yes, those layers of chobham on the underside and rear are pretty much impregnable.

An IED can be pretty much anything. There are examples of all kinds of crazy overkill that have actually been implemented.

If I bury a semi trailer full of mortar rounds and bar mines and detonate it when an Abrahams is driving over it I'm pretty confident they'll have a bad day.

shut up gay fag

Summer started in '12, and it never ended. if you can't handle it, have you considered suicide :?

Why isn't the bottom heavily armored?
Seems that would be a high-frequency impact point (mines, ieds)

Maybe if they leave the hatches open, otherwise the tank is sealed against nbc

>You can kill an Abrams, it's easy
Remember all those Abrams the mujahadeen destroyed with EFP's? Yeah me neither.

It is against precisely the threat were referring to here, namely, efp's

Attached: 1544295405969m.jpg (1024x765, 76K)

Your reading comprehension's not so great. What can be done by a theoretical roadside bomb - which was this thread's question - and what was done historically by inbred retarded goatfuckers who use acetone peroxide and potassium chlorate as their explosives, for one, are entirely different things. And it is easy to kill an Abrams with a bomb. If you know what you're doing. Which most people don't know and never will, fortunately or not. I don't have an opinion on the matter.

An EFP can have a literal order of magnitude more mass and twice the velocity of any tank shell with only a few dozen kilograms of HE behind it. Typical raghead AT IEDs have hundreds of pounds of explosive. Why don't they use EFP's more then? Because with exception of a few foreign mercenaries, they are literally subhuman in their level of intelligence. With the Saudi resources at their hands, they could have Europe on its knees, in so much shit The Troubles would become a nostalgic memory. But they can't, because they are too retarded and drank the quran-aid

Mass. And cost. But mostly mass, and also ground clearence/height. Try to armor everything equally and you'll end up with a Maus tank. A few dozen busted tanks on a battlefield isn't too high of a price when the alternative is crippling your entire logistical system with 100-ton armored monsters.

The bottoms aren't heavily armored because it's an extremely low frequency impact point.

It's the shockwave, not the physical air. The shockwave is transferred between mediums and would pass into the crew compartment

Yes. A roadside bomb can kill the crew of anything if big enough.
>the golem fears the roadside bomb

Enlightened reply

>HE
Who is "he?" Allah?

>Only thing to kill a Chobham tank, are depleted uranium sabots.
HEAT might have a hard time fully killing an Abrams with nuclear depleted composite armor like the non-monkey models have but don't be mistaken Abrams have been penetrated and/or mission killed (like that video) by HEAT projectiles numerous times.

Attached: abrams-penetrated.jpg (440x331, 26K)

Kek everyone is angry at op for having a better life than them

Why dont you fucking google it retard

Maybe not all kill 4, but driving over a bunch of 155s daisy chained together is going to fuck something or someone up no matter the vehicle.

Attached: 29145DC600000578-3097116-image-a-7_1432630505629.jpg (634x404, 89K)

But you are op.

An IED based on a 155mm shell can flip an Abrams right over so yes.

your wife is a whore kill yourself

Yes. Thats why soldiers rode on apc instead of inside of them, by fear of mines, in chechenia. The explosion would launch shrapnell inside the vehicle, but even if you wouldnt be hit, the sudden shock could break your neck. Thats what mineproof seats do, to absorb the shock. Unlike civilian cars, tanks dont absorb any shock.