Is there any military rifle with a more tragic story than the SKS

Is there any military rifle with a more tragic story than the SKS
>Designed to be the perfect WW2 rifle
>Basically succeeds, amazingly suited to the military doctrine... Of a war that just ended
>Spends like two years in service with the country that designed it before being replaced and relegated to back line use at best
>On rare occasions used by insurgent countries
>The vast majority spent their entire lives in storage, only a handful actually making their way into civilian hands

Attached: 12341234214.jpg (1600x1080, 285K)

get on my level faggot

Attached: 061-backphoto4.jpg (1000x788, 575K)

But the SKS was actually good. That bureaucratic abomination did not deserve the limited service it saw.

What are you talking about? The Chinese liked them better than the AK, which is why they churned out literally millions of them, and used them for decades. Chicom military doctrine was based on old bandit tactics and prioritized accuracy over rate of fire, which is why they went all-in on the SKS. So it had a short service life in its homeland, but was a huge hit somewhere else. There's nothing wrong with that.

Now, you want a rifle with a tragic service history, try the Ross Rifle. There was literally nothing wrong with it, but it got a shit reputation because conscripts couldn't put the bolt back together right in muddy trenches, and because shitty out-of-spec wartime production ammo choked it. None of which was its fault, but people have wrongly cursed it for a century now.

>But the SKS was actually good.

1) not really. it was remarkably inferior to the AK.

2) the M14 was fine, and its flaws only make it more tragic. you only think that the SKS is more tragic because you own one.

But the M14 actually served the country that invented it during a major war, just not through all of it.

>The Chinese liked them better than the AK, which is why they churned out literally millions of them, and used them for decades.
And used elements of the action in their "better AK", versions of which are still in service.

>But the M14 actually served the country that invented it during a major war

and was replaced by a plastic pile of shit that got people killed

M14 is most tragic raifu. if shakespeare had an M14 he would have written a dozen plays about it.

They both share the same story. The only difference is the amount of gov't sanctioned combat they saw before their replacement came in.

>The only difference is the amount of gov't sanctioned combat they saw before their replacement came in.

Nah, another difference is that the gun that replaced the SKS was superior, and the gun that replaced the M14 was inferior.

The M16A1 was a fine rifle, what really fucked it was the fudds at the top jerking off over "muh garand" doing everything they could to make sure the M16 failed badly, and even still it's merits were strong enough to stay in service and eventually become one of the most commonly used military rifles today.

It always amazes me that the same board that will give the F-35 years and chance after chance to not be a total shitbox dump all over the M14 for not having worked its bugs out in its first few years in service.

No Mr Fudd, the M14 was hot garbage.

>FAL? AR-10? Nah just rechamber the Garand, give it a 20 round magazine and a very shitty auto and call it a day

-DoD fudds of the era

M14 as a mistake.

>the M14 was fine
It was a trash fire born from corruption and bureaucratic incompetence. It took them 15 years to figure out how to convert a Garand to 7.62 and put a magazine in it, and they ended up with a gun that couldn't use Garand tooling and struggles to accept magazines. The tragedy of the M14 was all the better rifles (and even calibers) that got passed up to adopt it.

>just rechamber the Garand, give it a 20 round magazine and a very shitty auto
If they had actually done that it would've been a better rifle.

Attached: bm59_nogl.jpg (696x177, 15K)

The M14 was adopted over superior rifles such as the AR-10 and FN FAL becuase idiots liked how the M14 had similar controls to the M1 dispute being inferior to it’s counterparts

>it is possible for a rifle to be assembled so that it still functions until it fails catastrophically when fired
>literally nothing wrong with it

Yes, it's possible to do all kinds of dumb shit if you aren't careful. That's why you should be careful.

which board are you talking about because Jow Forums shits on the F35 incessantly.

Did the SKS actually see service in the final days of WW2 in Berlin or was I lied to?

A tiny handful of test guns may have been issued during the last few battles of WW2, but for the most part the rifle didn't officially enter service until 1949, production merely began in 1945.

Chinks, gooks, yugos and Albania liked the sks though. The Chinks even used parts of it in thier type 63 (I think) later type 81 which turned into the type 97 thier current gun. And the sks saw a ton of use post ww2. Despite the memes, a gook was more likely to have a sks than an ak, by like a 10:1 ratio, same with the bucketheads in Korea. The sks was a very workable design if it had a detachable magazine, that was its 1 big flaw.

This piece of shit though... The m14 only got adopted because dod was full of nepotist retards with a hard on for Springfield. In a world with the Fal, G3 and the Ar10 the m14 was a piece of shit. It's main argument for adoption was it could be made on existing garand tools, which turned out to be a outright lie. It's absolute shittiness is why the m16 got adopted so fast, which the butthurt fudds of the dod immediately tried to sabotage.

>Kbsp Wz. 38
>Essentially a battle rifle in 8mm designed by a Polack named Maroszek
>Was designed and later manufacturered in small batches in 1938
>Very few men, if any, armed with it in the invasion of Poland.
>Tfw Poles could have adopted a battle rifle before the degenerate krauts ever thought of designing one
>Tfw Poles were so close (and so far) to having a better chance against the soulless kraut niggers

What's interesting is that the designer shot down an enemy plane with his own creation.
>There is only one known example of military usage of this rifle in action which, almost uniquely, was by Maroszek himself. While personnel were evacuating from Instytut Techniki Uzbrojenia (Weaponry Technology Institute) the train they were traveling in was attacked near the city ofZdołbunowby two German warplanes flying at low altitude. As he states in his memoirs, Maroszek kept shooting through the window, eventually killing the gunner and wounding the pilot of one of the planes, forcing it to land. This event was also confirmed by other passengers.

Attached: Karabin-Maroszka-wz-38M-nr-1048.jpg (800x528, 56K)

All of the information in the world on this topic, yet you're still going to be an idiot.

>Shot down a plain with a fucking rifle that he himself invented
What a fucking badass

>only a handful actually making their way into civilian hands

Attached: 1481742343964.jpg (288x252, 24K)

The ordnance board...

And the M14 QC was scandalously bad, which played a big part in its replacement.

Compared to how many were actually cranked out the number in civilian hands today is minuscule, if it wasn't for America's export laws they'd still be in every gun shop in the country for under $200

>they'd still be in every gun shop in the country for under $200
they are
what fucking country do you live in

A real shame that this rifle came out and was only advertised for militaries, around the same time you could get WW2 surplus rifles for less than a batch of these from Madsen. Should've offered it on the civilian market.

Attached: Madsen M47.jpg (1024x660, 106K)

Fuck off Canadian shit

What did the M14 do wrong? Was it unreliable or innacurate?

>gunbroker
>even the biggest shills trying to sell "matching" rifles ask like $500
go to any random gun store in the US and I guarantee you can walk out with an SKS for under $300

No, you can't. I just did today at three different gun stores. Get back in your time machine, and before you fuck off, remember to invest in bitcoins. It peaks in December 2017 at around $19,000. After that it's gonna crash hard, so probably dump at 15-18k depending on how sure you are you can move them.

>walked into gun shop recently
>3 sks on wall
>how much for cheapest one
>$600 firm
>see gunbroker add guy selling off like 8 sks
>how much for yugo m59/66
>looking to get atleast $700 trade value
nah fuck off cunt. people here think theyre worth minimum $500 for matching numbers. classic is selling beat to shit chinese surplus skses for $400.

meant to say armslist not gunbroker*

Such beautiful combloc rifles. I'm almost tempted to buy the yugo SKS at my local LGS for 565$ now.

regardless of a $200 difference in the shitflinging the SKS is by no means some rare relic
you fuckups just want to act like your ban-compliant slavshit is something to cherish

I don't even have an SKS. I'm just here to tell you your addled boomer delusions are retarded. Nothing more, nothing less.

no one said it was rare or hard to get that was the point. I walked into a gunstore and it was overpriced and some fag overpriced his sks collection on armslist.
point is that theyre going up in price because theyre not coming in anymore, no one said its rare or a relic.

>no one said it was rare
OP said
>only a handful actually making their way into civilian hands
that's why I started this bullshit
you could cut the supply off for a century and there will still be too many SKS and nuggets, tards will overcharge for them but there is still a shit ton

Shifting goalposts...

Pic Related
Also the AR10

Attached: A9C9E5D4-E78B-40BC-8574-3C1D0DF5DD18.jpg (750x464, 425K)

it did but it looked nothing like the SKS we know today, a few prototypes were put in service.

this is bullshit. i rarely even see sks in gun stores, let alone for that price.

the ar10 effectively makes a comeback as a dmr and is better than the snipers of its own era in that role.

Yeah but I still get a tear in my eye when I think about what could’ve been. Vietnam aesthetics would be 1000x better with Portuguese style AR10’s

Attached: 744110A3-139F-43FA-862F-991CE6CB6BEB.png (750x1334, 1.3M)

>300
Maybe for one in a crapco stock, try 350 minimum.

sks didn't see service in korean war by koreans
they got soviet castoffs, not recent production

>it was actually good!

Yeah fuck off, autist. Anyone using "actua;;y" and defending garbage cheap soviet bloc guns is without fail a hardcore autist who still thinks he can keep up with modern rifles with his sticky Mosin and Minute of Barnyard SKS. Cheap mosins and SKS's energized way too many low functioning autistic retards into thinking they were now real gun authorities because they have "diamonds in the rough" that are just as good in the right hands and autistic scenarios as an AR-15.

Attached: 1556237208327.png (520x394, 513K)

Eww

Attached: 1558308444155.jpg (225x174, 15K)

>"SKS was a good rifle"
>REEEEE HOW DARE YOU THINK A MOSIN IS AS GOOD AS MY AR15

At least the SKS used an intermediate cartridge, unlike the fudd personified that is the M-14.

>DoD fudds

Meh. It's a great design, and nothing beats it aesthetically. Hlad so many made it into our hands that it's considered a somewhat common rifle here. I ran it as my go-to gun for a few years when I was a poorfag, definitely confident in its abilities.

>go to any random gun store in the US and I guarantee you can walk out with an SKS for under $300
Hey, how are things there in 2014? Yeah, good times. I have some bad news about those new Star Wars movies though...

It was a mag fed Garand that they promised could be made with Garand tooling and would have parts interchangeability so the parts that be thought making concessions on the rifle compared to the other, more modern battle rifles of the time would be fine, except the parts interchangeability was a lie so there was no point and they should have gone with the AR10

The Chinese Type 63. It looks like an SKS but its design mirrors the Kalashnikov.

ARfags all seem to have both a superiority complex and a victim complex rolled into one, it's kind sad to watch honestly.

>krautnigger
dont you have another /his/ thread to make or a gf to get stolen

But the SKS has seen mass use around the world, on par with the AK.

Are they $200 or $300?

Attached: 5EC37D6E-E47C-4473-B46F-B7A7C92C148A-3821-000006D60CB943AC.jpg (970x598, 192K)

Stop living in 2011, I bet you think you can still get a Mosin for $100

>be me
>go to Cabelas
>see all matching Russian SKS for $500
>trade in 2 garbage guns I was desperately looking to get rid off
>pay partially with a $100 Cabelas/Bass Pro gift card from Christmas
>now $200
You ain't wrong

That's what the BM-59 is, but its actually good compared to the M14

>replaced the m14 with the pinicale of smalls arms design
>spiteful fudds told soldiers to intentionally neglect their rifle
>spiteful fudds changed the powder load without designers input

>tHe M16 gOt PeOpLe KiLlEd

i don't go on /his/ and I don't have a gf

did I make the krautnigger mad?

Not even a single mention of the FN49?
This is basically the best top loading battle rifle ever adopted, but the invasion of Belgium delayed it’s development until the late 40s. It became obsolete shortly after.

I need to take better photos of mine

Attached: CD733E62-2729-4B88-A1EB-CA68FE23885C.jpg (4032x3024, 3.34M)

pathetic
t. australian

Attached: 1519292700405.jpg (400x591, 52K)

>REE MUH KRAUTS
so what are you going to do about the russians that also invaded poland at the same time?

>Not even a single mention of the FN49?

It's a bit more complex:
>Before 1939: Develop semi-auto rifle, with various "modern" features (universal scope mounting on every produced rifle, loading from stripperclips due to army preference)
>Present the finalized design to the Belgian army.
>Extremely well received.
>Army high command calculates that due to needs for retooling for production, 1 SAFN would be equivalent to almost 10 Mauser bolt action rifles.
>Army produces Mausers instead to attempt to arm as many as militia possible.
>Germans invade.
>FN-H sabotage machines and destroys the plans for the new rifle.
>Dieudonné Saive and a small number of engineers flee the country, and taking a long detour through France and Spain, rejoin the British allies.
>Saive offers his rifle plans to British high command. He is met with disinterest. The Brits only want .303Br weapons, not rimless designs.
>Saive gets limited resources to redesign the rifle to .303Br. He produces some prototypes, but fails to make it run flawlessly. Rimlock is an issue. The program is scratched having barely been able to invest time and resources in it.
>Saive is reassigned to improve current airborne MGs. Having cut his teeth under John Moses Browning himself, he is intimately familiar with M2s and 1919s. He easily delivers what's requested of him, improving Spitfire & Hurricane armaments.
>War ends.
>Saive goes back to FN-H to find it partially destroyed. He rebuilds FN-H.
>Many months later, SAFN49 can start. The design will soon be seen as outdated, firing a large caliber (.30-06 and 8mm Mauser) and feeding from a fixed magazine. The market is already flooded with M1 Garands and other surplus. The SAFN ends up being a commercial success due to selling to nations which do not want to overtly affiliate with the USA (and can't accept "US aid").
>SAFN becomes a footnote in history, only being used in one large scale war: the Korean War. It proves to be just as capable as a Garand.

Attached: SAFN-1937 prototype.jpg (690x141, 10K)

yfw krauts actually killed more pollacks than jews and it was kinda collateral.

Attached: 1534417054608.jpg (960x540, 148K)

continued:
>Subsequently, Saive realizes the time of the fixed magazine large caliber rifles has passed.
>The FN FAL is born as a large intermediate detachable box magazine fed rifle.
>Initially using 7.92×33mm Kurz, he quickly starts designing a new more suited caliber with the British. .280Br and its variants is born.
>Development goes swimmingly. The USA however thinks anything below a modernized .30-06 is for sissies.
>The Belgians and Brits try to upscale the .280Br a bit. The attempt fails and the Americans shove 7.62x51 down everyone's throat.
>Saive upscales the FN FAL to make it accept 7.62x51. Sadly the design is slightly too light and full auto becomes unmanageable.
>Saive decides to offer his FN FAL design for free to all allies which have helped freeing Belgium in WW2. The given license allows unlimited production and alteration.
>The FAL becomes a huge success and is considered the right arm of the free world. However, due to having to deal with a more powerful & heavier cartridge, it never attained it's full potential.

In itself, also a tragic tale.
Fucking Americans, always ruining everything for everyone. ;)

Attached: 1405411006345.jpg (1057x765, 197K)

>Spends like two years in service with the country that designed it before being replaced and relegated to back line use at best
11 years. SKS made standard in 1945, AKM replaced it as standard in 1956. Remember that the AK-47 was originally considered an SMG and not adopted as the standard rifle, although the Soviets greatly increased the number of these "SMGs" in their combat troops.

The AR-10 got its shit in order in a year or two, by the time the Cubans bought them they were good. The FAL never had significant problems.
Who'd have thought the guy who finished JMB's design of the gun that is literally identical mechanically to every other gun made in the last century knew how to make shit.

Attached: maito dai.gif (220x124, 133K)

>Also take 12 years to make the fucking thing
The italians took very little time to actually take the Garands and make them into BM-59's

I mean you're right