/rg/ - Raccoon General

Pest control continues.
Saw this bugger and his family hanging around my chicken coop this morning at about dawn. Roosters were going nuts. Some of his clan were huge, probably in excess of 30 pounds, I took the best shot I was presented. I tagged this guy for his troubles.
5.7x28 SS198 green-tip / red-box ammo continues to impress. It punches well above its weight in my opinion. Damage on target was comparable to 5.45x39 and far better than subsonic 300blk and 9mm used on the last couple of raccoons. I'm impressed at how fast it tumbles in a small target and the nice exit wounds. He danced for a few seconds and slumped over.

Attached: IMG_4115.jpg (2500x1404, 2.12M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Duke-0510-Coon-Trap-Pack/dp/B00P4HHZ0C/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=raccoon trap&qid=1561300728&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-4#customerReviews
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

30 caliber next time to turn him inside out

The only 30 I've got is the FAL. I admit it would probably make a mess but it is usually not ready-to-go for raccoon duty as has a full 19+" barrel and is a bit unwieldy.
I will use the AUG next and see how 55 gr FMJ ammo fares.
Would like to get a clean shot at the 30 pounder.

>The only 30 I've got is the FAL. I admit it would probably make a mess
I've shot one with a Saiga 308. It was hard to even tell what I was looking at.

top kek
you've inspired me. did you use any particular ammo or just FMJ?
I think all I've got is south-african surplus in 308.

Attached: hahaha.jpg (400x280, 20K)

If I remember correctly I was using PPU 150 gr soft points. I wonder what fmj would do? At short range probably just zip right through the fucker.

Very well. I will get some "hunting ammo". Will try some FMJ on them too.
My experience with subsonic S&B 300 BLK demonstrated no tumbling or expansion, just zipped through. Took 3 shots to put one down. Not efficient.
I suspect the 308 FMJ will do a ton more damage given the speed. Only one way to find out.

Attached: morpheus_matrix.jpg (1033x679, 41K)

A well placed .22 will also get the job done and the furrier will have less of a hole to fix. You are going to have that made into a hat right?

Haha, hell yes. You've seen gel block tests with 308 fmj? The temporary cavity is about the size of a medium raccoon. Should be interesting.

>You are going to have that made into a hat right?
I talked to a taxidermist about getting one tanned a few years back. $150 was apparently the going rate. More than I was willing to pay considering I can get skins online for a fraction of that :(
This guy will be eaten by the vultures in short order.

kek. now I have some research to do.

Attached: picard-laughing.jpg (1007x1080, 500K)

Everybody wins!

You are doing god's work, user. Blessed are those who dispatch the demon rat. Another user had suggested a live trap and sardine bait and I took that advice. pic related. Do yourself a favor and buy one. You can catch the extra crafty ones that only visit in the wee hours of night. Have somebody else open the trap if you want your captive to become a "meat target" (for the sake of science, of course.) Those little bastards are fast and ferocious.
You are a better shot than I am, user. Getting a clean shot on them is my biggest challenge. Quite often you get one shot and they are out of sight. It is hard to tell a miss from a wound with a .22lr in my experience. I've seen them run a good distance even having been hit with 12ga birdshot and 9mm jhp. I'm sticking with something big to ensure a wounding kills.

Attached: IMG_20190615_052313804.jpg (2448x3264, 2.39M)

>It is hard to tell a miss from a wound with a .22lr in my experience. I've seen them run a good distance even having been hit with 12ga birdshot and 9mm jhp. I'm sticking with something big to ensure a wounding kills.
This mirrors my experience as well. They're very tough for their size. I've only got 1 confirmed kill with 22LR and wont do it again unless I have them in a trap.
I've been testing efficacy of larger calibers and have been super careful about shot placement aiming for neck or torso if presented. Anchor shots as follow ups as needed.
I will be deploying the trap tonight, but am concerned that the big chungas raccoons will not fit inside, they're huge. I'm also quite wary of opening a live-trap with a raccoon inside. I would hate to have one charge me. Would probably have to perform a summary execution for my own safety.

your trap comment made me research traps.
found some unusual traps. comments below were comedy gold.

amazon.com/Duke-0510-Coon-Trap-Pack/dp/B00P4HHZ0C/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=raccoon trap&qid=1561300728&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-4#customerReviews

I kill full sized country coons with 177 in my yard, instant death

>The virgin raccoon vs the chad possum

how many ft/sec?

he didn't fly so good

Attached: IMG_4113.jpg (2000x1123, 1.44M)

Yes, please post more dead animals you have shot. I enjoy it.

Attached: 1561307741433.jpg (377x351, 24K)

those paw traps look pretty damn clever

this triggers the normie

Welcome to Raccoon General.
They were live at time of shooting.
I'll setup the trap tonight, see if I can catch the really fat raccoon I saw earlier.

agreed. I'm going to order a few and secure them around my coop. Need to get some cans of tuna or something stinky though.

1200-1300 depending on pellet, it breaks the sound barrier, shot placement is still obv very important (between the eyes, 1 or 2 inches up) and to use penetrating pellets not hollow points. Easy enough to get them when they stop to look at you or your flashlight.

ahh, flashlight. very clever.
kudos. I had not thought about stunning them with a good flashlight.

Attached: redd-foxx.jpg (800x450, 76K)

if they are in a tree the flashlight freezes them even more because they cant tell where they are going, or thats my theory at least. Theres that vid of a guy sitting behind a flashlight bright enough to spear a coon 10 feet away before it notices him.

why not use a heavier pellet at lower speed? i thought you get diminishing returns once you get transsonic/supersonic

and why not hollow points?

Cats are the best

Attached: BBE1F580-03F4-4DED-987D-220452167821.jpg (650x488, 80K)

I wonder if a strobe will fuck with them?

story behind pic?
under what scenario could someone clobber dozens of feral cats in a short enough time frame to leave them at a mass grave.

I think he's going for the brain case and wants the penetration to get through their thick skulls.

>bagged an entire animal shelter

Attached: 1401512766207.jpg (800x596, 124K)

I'm guessing Australia

imagine the smell

>set crazy cat lady's house ablaze
>living in the desert so cats have no cover
also holy fuck I count 75 dead cats user

good call!

but at higher energies shouldn't the hollow point still cave in the skull and hopefully still go through it into the brain (along with some shards of bone)

for hollow points against a raccoon skull I find they flatten completely and to essentially the same size as pointed pellets if they dont break apart. And as for entry level pellets hollow points seem to be more poorly machined as a whole in my experience. I have never used alloy pellets.

As for heavier pellet I have never tried them on a coon, only experimenting on starlings, I figured I should try to reach the speeds the gun was capable of and never thought of using heavier pellets to be honest.

As for going supersonic my understanding was that it destabilizes pellets if they dont travel above the sound barrier until they reach their target, but the gun is more accurate than I am, I dont know enough about supersonic affecting the pellet really

>entry level pellets hollow points seem to be more poorly machined as a whole in my experience
not being snarky here but have you considered casting your own pellets? it seems like it would be a fun way to experiment, if youre into that kinda thing

>As for going supersonic my understanding was that it destabilizes pellets...
yes but also it's just harder to dump more energy to get a faster muzzle energy if you modify the gun with stiffer springs and use lighter pellets etc. if you're happy with the performance and arent tinkering it's not a problem but in general the rule of thumb is that once you hit the sound barrier, you should use a heavier pellet because you'll get a bigger return of energy-to-target that way than by using lighter or more aerodynamic pellets

>against a raccoon skull I find they flatten completely
fair

What kind of suppressor is that?

Attached: D9180CE9-6F02-418A-9C28-CA9D89B03E1A.gif (500x281, 537K)

I actually recycle my used pellets into fishing sinkers lol, ill have to try some heaver pellets

2" diameter, custom job
It is overkill for 5.7x28, if I had to do over I'd go with like 1.75"x3.5" or 2"x3".

>casting your own pellets
its my understanding they are swaged. Basically a rod of lead/tin whatever the alloy is is smashed into a die and out pops a pellet. They are so small I would think casting would be difficult

seems legit. i've heard of diy types just casting them though, and i've definitely bought cheapo pellets with seam lines. i bet swaging/pressing would be easier in a big operation though with a big rolling die or whatever

Look man I love killing nasty shit as much as the next guy but possums are cool . Theyre north americas only marsupialthough coons squirls and rats are fair game plz leave the oposy alone

fuck I loved doing this as a kid
>find possum playing dead
>post bizarre objects in the frame like fore extinguishers or rotor rooters
>"yeah bro check this sick kill I just sniped"
>223 replies and 148 images, click here to reply
fyi that possum ain't dead

raccoons aren’t related to rats, moron.

dude, I shot him with 9mm square to the torso. Hole was on the front.
He's dead as a door nail. I'm well aware of their playing dead bullshit. This isn't the first possum I had to dispatch.

Uneducated on metaphors, slang, multi-level meanings of words and other colorful uses of the English language? Looks like you can use the word, " moron." >Rat: noun... 3. Slang. a scoundrel
Go howl on /an/ about dolphin fish and dolphin mammals then come back and cry that "weapons" doesn't have a Jow Forums in it, rat faggot.

absolutely seething because he doesn’t know what raccoon actually is. kek.

why is Jow Forums weapons anyway

most of the others make sense but what part of Jow Forums really evokes the letter 'K'

>varmint hunting
>with a fucking p90
This is why I got to Jow Forums

Attached: 466B09E1914C458CB5274EA6D47E4D07.jpg (225x225, 14K)

i love /k for being the most magical place and not a single kommando ever questions the crazy shit thats going on in the threads

enjoy your lyme disease

what kind of rail setup is that? Looks very odd from what I have seen of P90 rails.

In your retardo world they they forget to make these magic things called "gloves" ?

I missed my chance at getting a tri-rail P90, so I got the standard one. Every optic I put on there (RMR or Aimpoint) sat like a mile too high for my liking (we're talking chin weld).
Thankfully I have a CNC mill at my disposal and friends that are not afraid to weld aluminum, so I went for the low-rider rail. Fits me fucking perfect.

Attached: IMG_2578.jpg (1333x1000, 253K)

Yeah, coons aren't all that tough. a 22 to the brain will put them down no problem. 5.56 55gr soft point to the body puts them down like they were struck by lightening.

Flying rats ok to post here? I kill probably 50 a week. Shooting them gets boring, so I have started catching them with a net and then cutting the heads off with gardening shears. Also I may or may not have put tannerite into a few of them and blown them up.

Attached: P_20190604_011008.jpg (4160x2340, 1.91M)

This next pic of from a few years ago while doing a S.T.A.L.K.E.R challenge. Fucker flew at me when I was sitting by my fire and I cut it with my bowie mid air.

Attached: 16463852_767483493414272_6862960112201172009_o.jpg (1440x810, 182K)

>I missed my chance at getting a tri-rail P90,
good, they look like ass. top rail only and even then only because the integrated sight ones arent commonly available (and who knows, maybe you want to put a different sight on there instead of the one that is almost 30 years old)

I'm told in a particular law school pigeons are referred to as flying jews.

The problem with the stock "top rail" version is the rail sits so high that any optic is mounted at stratospheric levels, even with TROS direct mounts.
Hence why I went low rider on that ass.

Attached: top_rail.png (400x240, 57K)

pigeons did nothing wrong. you're just an asshole.
>stalker challenge
and also complete /v/ermin who should be killed just like other pest animals. you have to go back

k is for killing

raccoon=vermin=rat

That don't look dead yet user
Those things play dead even when getting mauled by hounds

You must feel so proud killing an innocent trash panda.

You probably stroke your tiny cock to the picture of this animal's suffering. You like playing God, don't you, big boy? Disgusting. You just wait until Jow Forumsmilitantvegans hears about this.

Attached: 1561126206011.jpg (498x482, 69K)

They carry disease and are pests. Fuck off newfag. Stalker challenges have been a Jow Forums tradition for a long time

I wish I had taken pictures of it being eaten by vultures later that afternoon. It most certainly was not playing dead as did not survive a 9mm hit to torso.

Have you spent your nights having sex with your beloved trash panda? I'm sorry I killed you only lover. Its too bad though, the genocide will continue until they stop fucking around with my chicken coop, nigger.

Attached: tyrone.png (1024x888, 31K)

city raccoons arent so bad and tipped over garbage cans are largely the extent of their destruction (and even then it's your own fault for not using a properly designed can with lid and properly designed base) but rural raccoons are huge and fuck up livestock. they are genuine pest animals.

same for foxes. street foxes, in the few places they live? harmless cute puppies that dindu nuffins but only because they don't have anything to do. foxes in the woods and near farms? destroyers of anything smaller than a pig, and they burrow and shit everywhere and chew up supports and just do all kinds of dumb niggerish shit.

they may as well have fucking gang tags to spraypaint on your house too, rural pest animals are almost as bad as abbos

> vegans
kek, those malnourished faggots. probably all homosexuals with HIV. AIDS brain rot makes them veggies.

Attached: vegetarian.jpg (600x518, 91K)

Attached: PigeonCrushing.png (2000x1316, 1.24M)

NO NO NO NO NO

Attached: uncrushable pigeon.png (500x334, 84K)

that was a good thread

Lurk moar

>They carry disease

what wild animal doesn’t, genius?

pigeons, ironically.

actually most diseases arent zoonotic and you basically have to actively pet an animal or get bitten by it to get sick from something it carries. but even then, it's usually mites and ticks and other parasites these days rather than giving you the plague, and usually bites just get infected from spores and bacteria that are normally present in your environment, not from the animal's mouth

I don't think you understand. It's not like hundreds of diseased deer are lumbering through the city. But birds? There are fucking tens of thousands of them, and retards feed them making them not afraid of human contact. Meaning they are in close proximity to people. I don't have a problem with farm pidgeons that just eat grain and are safe to eat. I kill city pidgeons that eat trash and carry sickness.

He means that they eat ticks; by killing opossums, you're increasing the amount of ticks in your area since you're getting rid of one of the few predators that ticks have.

Effen90 upper sits just a bit lower than that even if you can believe. I'm getting that and a can when I've recovered from the move.

Why shoot it when a wheelbarrow full of water will do the trick

I wonder how long before this user moves on to humans and eventually is dispatched with an IV in his arm

There's a slow moving ecological disaster right now unfolding in Australia with feral cats. Over time they keep causing extinctions of native species and putting more and more into the endangered category.

Australia is responding with a massive cull, paying people for proof of kills (Either scalps or tails, I forget which), airdropping poisoned sausages, etc.

>using 5.56 for coon hunting
Are you going after the bipedal sort of coon, user?

Possums are tick genociding bros and you are a faggot.

That's true, but they are retarded. I've hit so many of them with my truck because they will just play dead in the middle of a road

I have a flock of free-range chickens that eat ticks too. My yard is tick free thanks to the chickens.
The problem is that the possums opportunistically attack my chickens, thus they get the bullet.

Good deal. Mine worked out perfect for my face geometry, I'd be hesitant to go any lower. Bear in mind if you're 5-10mm lower you might need a rise on your site?
Either way, post pics when you get it setup.

I like cats, but I can totally understand.
Aus needs to remove head from ass and stop trying to limit rifle ownership.

so are chickens you flaming homosexual.

Attached: disease_memeball.png (960x960, 648K)

>Aus needs to remove head from ass and stop trying to limit rifle ownership.

Nah they're irreversibly fucked on that. There's no going back.

I agree. No wheel barrel, but I have a 55 gallon drum that will work.