Would it be possible (and safe) to turn 9mm or .380 cases on a lathe...

would it be possible (and safe) to turn 9mm or .380 cases on a lathe? I live in a noguns shitholes so I am wondering for future reference.

Attached: dityloyaliststen.jpg (500x681, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

petersoncartridge.com/our-difference/drawing-brass/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What would you turn them from? Bronze? Copper?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to cast them?

it is possible and safe, but horribly time consuming and expensive.

Attached: Bushmaster-Arm-Pistol.jpg (650x296, 27K)

make papershell cartridges. coat them in wax ti make them waterproof

brass

Buy blank ammo and convert it

Just get sheet metal and roll it into shape.

not available in this country

why the fuck would you turn cases instead of using a pressing/stamping method?

>implying you're not a larping american
this board needs flags

Turning on a lathe would take for fucking ever and you run the risk of ruining cases left and right because of the wall thickness.
I would try to figure out a 1 or 2 step hydraulic die to form them. Industrial setups use like 5-8+ steps, but they're also automated and churn out a case per second per machine at least. If you have a lathe and hopefully a mill you can figure out a low step count rudimentary die system and then make or convert press to be electrohydraulic so you just run the joystick up and down it would make far better and consistent casings.

Then forget about it. You can make shotgun shells, though.

I have access to smokeless powder equivalent to IMR PB, primers too. it's a very complicatid situatuon

the stamping seems interesting. however I only have an amatuer lathe and it's basically the only machine I know hpw to use aside from easy things like a drill press etc.

Nope, it would even be better quality in that it they would be stronger. Only if all the dimensions are accurate which might be hard to do.

If you have a lathe, Google deep drawing and machine your own dies.

just name the country already, most likely you could just go to Austria and buy some ammo there.

Austrian here, pretty easy to get a special permit for select fire guns here, ar 15 and especialy ak´s (mostly 74´s, newer models like the 101 are harder to get licensed) are quite common.

>just name the country already,
watch it be france or britain where getting guns and ammo are completely trivial

Drill a hole in a block of metal equal to the external diameter of the casing, then turn a metal rod equal to the internal diameter of the casing. Place a sheet of brass between the rod and the block, then hammer the rod into the hole.
I'm skipping a few steps but that's the basic principle.

I am not european

Are guns completly banned or just hard to get?
I mean nearly every country has sport shooters and there is a way to legaly own a basic gun.

Say what country already or at least give us a rundown of your gun laws. As said, most of the fags who come to Jow Forums asking how to make their own guns actually live in places where there are easier ways to arm oneself but they have to go for the most autistic one.

Are recreational shooting and hunting a thing?

I live in chile. they are hard to get. the biggest problem is that myself and my family can't afford them. my uncle got an amatuer lathe years ago.

Buy cases and parts from Ukraine or russia

>I have access to smokeless powder equivalent to IMR PB, primers too.
You have access to the components that are usually the hardest to get. Bullets can be cast from lead.
As for casings, I'd think it's easier to scavenge them from a shooting range. Of course the best way would be to be friend with people that are into shooting.
But again I don't know enough about your gun laws and about the prominence of shooting sports and hunting in Chile.

What?! Not even Blanks?
Can you buy decorational ammo?
Real bullets with real brass?

>why the fuck would you turn cases instead of using a pressing/stamping method?
Let me fix that
>why would you do something you can instead of something nobody without a factory can
You can't just press cases. It's not that fucking simple. Look at a fucking cross section of one, turning brass barstock and adjusting the load to account for internal volume is the only solution.

UK confirmed

You're not going to turn a case as thin walled as a drawn case. And you can't make the case thicker because the case has to obturate to seal the breech.

You only need the mouth of the case to be that thin and you can certainly machine it to a requisite thickness with a drill press and various abrasive methods after turning it on your lathe. My point is that's a far better tree to be barking up given the fact harbor freight doesn't even stock a press strong enough to stamp cases no matter how many stages you use.

Maybe turn the bases and crimp and solder on a piece of seamless tubing. If you can't find the right size tubing (likely) maybe you could make a die to stretch the ID and a mandrel to turn down the OD.

That would be a lot more viable than trying to stamp the whole case. The base is the biggest problem.

Yeah... idea. A mandrel that has the right geometry for the inside of the case. Press on a piece of tubing, turn the outside geometry, crimp and solder the base, then use the case head to pull the whole thing off the mandrel. It just might work.

If you have access to a lathe, then you have access to building yourself a machine that could properly draw cases.

>dude just spend a year making a 50 ton press from stock trust me

No. It's not.
Crush match heads and granulate them.
Mix some crushed match heads with the red phosphorus from the striking surface to produce an Armstrong mix. Bam, now you got powder for your primer.

People do this shit in villages in Nigeria and Cambodia, I'm sure you will succeed too.

whats so difficult about it? brazilian favela hues and literal 3rd world niggers doit all the time

And they used to make a lot of SMGs in Northern Ireland during the troubles. Especially the loyalists as they didn't receive material support.
But they had access to ammunition, though.

Attached: seizedloyalistsmg.jpg (615x410, 16K)

Go to Paraguai,or the border with Paraguai ,is fucking easy to buy guns or ammor there.Ciudad del est is the easiest one to got some freedom.

as I stated I already have primer and propellant, just no cases, I will cast my ammunition

but I don't think I will be able to afford them

Wouldn't just going for a muzzle loader be the simplest thing to do?

I don't care about simple

jesus christ you're autistic,underage, or both

I am maybe planning on manufacturing a luty, hence why I would like 9mm or .380

All you're going to achieve is a hole punched in your sheet of material

So go fuck yourself nigger ,stupid chilean ,go get assfuck by a alpaca retard .Go to Paraguai,and buy cheap ass .22 ammo ,and do cheap ass single shot rifles ,or buy cheap ass 12 gauge ammo and do a 4 winds shotgun .Or go to paraguai and buy a Bad Dragon dildo ,and proced to insert in your asshole .

If you have a lathe that can turn steel well, you could try making forms/dies for multiple-stage drawing/pressing using a manual shop press.

Attached: drawset20mmx300.jpg (300x574, 33K)

Also: petersoncartridge.com/our-difference/drawing-brass/

I love toying with the idea of what it would take to stock an entire armory using nothing but standard machine tools and whatnot (including consumer-grade CNC and heat treating)