So, Jow Forums, I've got an idea...

So, Jow Forums, I've got an idea. I'm a welder and I just recently came to the realization that I've got a shitload of tungsten of various alloys and some pure in the form of Tig electrodes. What's stopping me from casting bullets with small pieces of tungsten for use as homemade AP rounds? Would a blunt tip or a sharp tip? Which alloy would be best? Would it be reasonable to assume that a .308 round with tungsten penetrator could defeat Level IV body armor?

Attached: 81G81hs7mDL._SX466_.jpg (466x466, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/0815514174/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_b0eeDb4A8FN28
kaiserus.com/shop/receiver-sets/x-7-polymer-ar15-matche-lightweight-receiver-set-blk-fde-grey-od/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>they both have tungsten so they must also have exactly the same metallurgy

Attached: Anemone_serious.jpg (960x720, 173K)

Pure tungsten is pure tungsten, nigger. What would be the difference?

yeah stop being a nigger.

Find a way to jacket that shit so it can be tested without damaging the barrel

>casting tungsten yourself
Yeah good luck with that

It doesn't need to be cast, just shaped with a grinder and cut. It's already in perfectly sized rods

>perfectly sized rods
The usual TIG rods are way too small and OP was the one who mentioned casting in the first place.

Casting as in casting a lead bullet around the tungsten rod, like normal AP rounds.

oh
I am silly

OP, pls respond, how can you break a tungsten rod into a bullet length piece symmetrically.

No, use sabots OP

>The usual TIG rods are way too small and OP was the one who mentioned casting in the first place.
thats bullshit.
they're about the right size for a penetrator.

all you'd need is some 3D printed sabos and you'd have one of these (far right).

Attached: 1543437753109.jpg (1500x1015, 185K)

Cut off wheel on a grinder works very well, striking it over the edge of a table works, clamping in vise and then striking works

Yeah I'm retarded and I thought you wanted the whole bullet out of tungsten rods, which the biggest ones I've seen yet were 5/32.
If you manage to make it work I'd be interested in seeing the results.

Nothing stopping you from doing it, except for the law.
You'll have a nice stay at club fed after you do it.

Nah mate, the manufacturing of AP rounds for personal use isn't illegal

that's a common way to homebrew ap ammo, drill a hole the size of the rod in your round and glue a sharpened piece of tungsten rod in there. watch out for the radioactive ones though.

Yes it is.
You can buy any ap ammo, you can’t make it or import it.

What are the feds gonna do? Arrest me for possessing supplies that are integral to my profession?

learn the laws you fucking faggot

In HANDGUNS. I'm not going to be using them in handguns or even in a handgun cartridge. Most likely going to be .308 out of a full length rifle

Attached: Screenshot_20190623-235655_Chrome.jpg (1077x938, 415K)

>you
I'm not op.

anyway, here's the commercially available 9mm round that can go through body armor.

I have no idea about the legality of these things so check your local laws before doing something stupid.

Attached: 1550244989205.jpg (590x268, 16K)

Not him, but remember some ARs are pistols. So stay north of 16" and you should be fine. And just to be safe, have a fixed stock. Again, if your going to make ammo like that.

The only .308 rifle I have is a PTR-91 so I think I'm in the clear

Tungsten is not cast it is pressed and sintered. If your serious read this and have about 50k of machine tools and a furnace/kiln that will get up to 1450C
>amazon.com/dp/0815514174/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_b0eeDb4A8FN28
Score them with a glass cutter or simmilar then break them off. Tungsten will shred most cut off wheels

The law doesn’t regulate it based on the cartridge and whether it’s a handgun law regulated by CALIBER and there are .308 caliber pistols, from 7.62 Touareg to 308 Winchester.

anemone is mai waifu

Attached: 1193330947479.jpg (802x632, 78K)

What's stopping you is the fact that tungsten at 3422 degrees C.

Attached: jahy.jpg (2000x2833, 328K)

*melts

Imagine if someone made an AR out of polymer and carbon fibre, including the barrel. It would be light as fuck.

Attached: 1561109854857.gif (498x443, 557K)

There was some guy who just got busted selling AP ammo. I remember reading about it. It was all local. And he was making it for other anons at the range.
Of course someone ratted him out.

breaking the law is not automattically doing something stupid. stop acting like the goverment has power we could take it any moment now.

Are those tungsten carbide OP? There is a difference right.

when and why would he need to melt it?

This is entirely feasible. And insanely expensive.
>Proof research carbon fiber barrel
>faxon carbon fiber handguard
>basic bitch 80% polymer lower.
The upper im.not sure about. But 5 pounds is easy. 4 1/2 is a challenge.

I think they got the guy who sold the Vegas shooter on selling ap ammo too. I would not recommend making ap ammo. I'm just saying if op is serious it would not be that much more difficult than reloading. You'd need dies, a hydraulic press, a furnace, swageing dies reloading tools and balls enought to not get caught and not tell anyone.

kaiserus.com/shop/receiver-sets/x-7-polymer-ar15-matche-lightweight-receiver-set-blk-fde-grey-od/

>carbon fibre
you can buy CF barrels for .22LR

Proof research barrels are steel wrapped in carbon fiber.

you'd need much less than that, you could pull slugs from factory ammo, and make ap slugs with tungsten fishing weights and lead wire in a bench swager, tap those in and bob's your uncle. or just do that

Its still light weight

I'd be concerned about accuracy and keyholeing doing that

What’s the story on that? As far as I read he just sold him some tracers.

To cast the bullets, the fucking idiot.

Attached: madma.jpg (480x360, 36K)

. 22lr is pretty lose to 5.56mm, you know.

No idea the charge was just manufacturing tracer and ap ammo. Could have been a blanket charge

Tungsten penetrators are sintered as a tungsten-nickel-copper or tungsten-cobalt (tungsten carbide). Emphatically not commercially pure tungsten or welding alloys. Checking the chart, I see that C19 is a carbide grade with 'kinetic applications' specified, so that's where I'd start. You can get it sintered in any near net shape you'd want to buy, or have a supplier grind round bar into your shape, but they'd surely roll their eyes if a civilian customer sent them a request for penetrators.

center drilling for the welding rod insert method is easy, clamp a block of wood in your drill press base, drill a hole the size of your chosen caliber, switch bits to the rod size, set drill depth and you have perfectly centered holes every time.

Following this, the easiest way to do it at home for a really dedicated miscreant would be to order C19 ground round cut and ground to the length you want, and put a conical point on it yourself. But to get any accuracy from the finished product you'd need to do it on a cylindrical grinder with a diamond wheel, and devise a method to swage your bullets with the tungsten centered in the jacket. an exposed penetrator and a custom die that matched the cone to hold it concentric is the best I can think of. I'm not an expert on swaging, only made/modified a couple header dies for ammo plants without seeing the process involved.

In diameter? Sure. In pressure? No, now quit being a retard.

the same method would work for the fishing weights, and they are conveniently already bullet shaped.

Attached: 71de6RauRvL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 12K)

>You can buy any ap ammo
no you can't. otherwise show me where

You
CAN BUY
Which means you are legally able to buy it not that you’ll find any to buy.

Whatever boomer still has stocks of it. It's perfectly legal to own and sell. You just can't make new shit or import it, user is 100% correct. Otherwise everyone with 7n6 would be a criminal.

Just join the Toksquad, newfriend.

He wouldn't be casting pure tungsten, moron. Just casting a lead bullet around the tungsten penetrator

>would it be reasonable to assume that a .308 round with a tungsten penetrator could defeat level IV body armor
>308 with homemade tungsten core
>defeat armor rated to withstand a 30-06 with a specially tungsten core
Hmmmm user I surely dont know if a lower velocity round with a homemade penetrator would do be able to outdue a faster better option.

Retard, it’s rated to stop a STEEL penetrator.

You have a valid point, but the M2AP is a hardened steel core.

Just drill out a hollow point and epoxy the TIG in place

I've only seen that its rated to stop M2 AP, and I see sources of both steel and tungsten cores called M2 AP.

No you haven't. M2 AP is steel core.

Fuck off and learn to Google before spouting off shit.

M2 did come with tungsten alloy cores.

No, it didn't. European countries might have loaded an equivalent round with a tungsten core and painted it black, and fudds might be incorrectly labeling their overpriced shit on gunbroker as tungsten, or 'tungsten steel', but M2AP is a stamped or turned steel core.

>still didnt look it up
Pre WW2 M2AP was made with a tungsten steel alloy

I don't think even Euro countries did, since it's 30'06 and all. They did with 7.62x51
Prove
It

You're a god damn retard and one of the fudd morons I mentioned. 4% alloyed tungsten isn't tungsten. Its an alloying additive to steel just like molybdenum, manganese, titanium, chromium, nickel, scandium, etc. Totally unrelated to formed tungsten penetrators, which are a type of metal bearing ceramic.

>thing x isn't x!

Shut the fuck up retard

To maximize the effectiveness of the M2 machine gun in engagement and defeat of lightly armored targets. The M903 SLAP has demonstrated capability to provide greatly increased penetration (2 to 3 times the armor thickness at any given range) over that of ammunition currently fielded. The M962 SLAPT assures the precision of delivery necessary to take full advantage of this capability.

Velocity: 3985 feet per second
Maximum effective range: 4921.5 feet (1500 meters) against 3/4" High Hard Armor (HHA)
Unit Replacement Cost: $7.50 per round

Features: .50 caliber SLAP ammunition was developed by the Marine Corps during the mid/late 1980s and was approved for service use in 1990 during Operation Desert Storm. It uses a reduced caliber, heavy metal (tungsten) .30 inch diameter penetrator wrapped in a "plastic" sabot or "shoe" of .50 inch diameter.
Since the mass of the saboted penetrator is much lighter in weight than normal ball .50 caliber ammunition, SLAP's velocity can be significantly and safely increased in an unmodified M2 Machine Gun. This produces a very fast round with a very flat trajectory which enhances hit probability. SLAP ammuntion is completely interoperable with M2 machine guns with stellite liner.

Background: During the 1980s, the Marine Corps invested in both .50 caliber and 7.62 x 51 SLAP concepts. The .50 caliber effort was very successful and extends the light armor capability of the M2 Heavy Machine Gun significantly. The 7.62mm effort was not successful in the M60 and caused catastrophic barrel failures due to in-bore break-up of the sabot and the penetrator puncturing the side of the barrel.

*this post is for satirical and entertainment purposes only

Attached: 2lpagt.jpg (1125x1096, 120K)

A tiny bit of tungsten added to steel isn't a tungsten penetrator. It's a steel penetrator. Just like the carbon in steel doesn't make it a diamond penetrator. Because that's fucking retarded, but not quite as retarded as you.

Attached: kakaka.gif (500x525, 1000K)

>What would be the difference?
AP ammo does not contain pure tungsten. It contains tungsten carbide.

That's not how that works and leads melting point is 621F. Learn some reading comprehension and you'll make yourself not look like a retard so often.

>diamond penetrators
Dude you just came accross some great marketing advice right there. "Buy now our armor piercing diamond penetrators* for only $30 a bullet!

*penetrators produced with diamond base materials. Raw diamonds not included. All sales are final.

Reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit, is it? OP mentioned casting bullets with small pieces of tungsten in them.

Yes which is why I corrected myself a couple posts afterwards

Attached: 1385228124019.jpg (125x125, 5K)

Lack of concentricity required for ballistic stabilization outside of 50 yards. You're not the first to try such things.