How much would it cost me to build a bunker that I could stay in for up to a year? What would I want to put in it...

How much would it cost me to build a bunker that I could stay in for up to a year? What would I want to put in it? How would I properly seal it to keep out radiation, disease, etc? The boogaloo seems fast approaching and I'd prefer to wait out the initial chaos underground.

Attached: massive-underground-bunker-in-georgia-goes-on-sale-for-17.5-million-01.jpg (1280x720, 339K)

Other urls found in this thread:

concastpipe.com/pricing/
osha.gov/laws-regs/standardinterpretations/standardnumber/1926
iccsafe.org/products-and-services/i-codes/2018-i-codes/ibc/
nh.gov/safety/boardsandcommissions/bldgcode/nhstatebldgcode.html
youtube.com/watch?v=UdOmMqj-I9w
youtube.com/watch?v=Z0oFJ2jbkDI
youtube.com/watch?v=ov4epAJRPMw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_and_licensure_in_engineering#Requirements
risingsbunkers.com/layouts-pricing-bunkers/survival-shelter-upgraded-model_10x40/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jamelske
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/342-usaf-11034_Medical_Aspects-Hiroshima.webm
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_nuclear_explosions
mynewoldschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/prepping-matrix-ver-1.jpg
atlassurvivalshelters.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

as a professional construction worker, at minimum $1 Million. THAT IS A LOT OF CONCRETE AND STEEL.

Atlas survival shelters have prefab shelters. I don't know anything about the quality, delivery, installation, warranty, etc. I just know they make them and the cheapest ones I see are around $60,000 USD.

Prefab Cement sewer pipes?

so here are some questions op

>do you have a piece of property you can fit this bunker on?

>do you have a soils analysis for the soil this bunker is to be built in?

>do you have either the correct trenching reinforcement for at-least 150ft of vertical drop or space to bench that much dirt?

>do you have the equipment to dig out that much rock and dirt in a reasonable time?

>do you have a watershed plan? do you have a pump for when it rains?

>CONT.
only if you are like 20ft and even then those pipe are not rated for permanent residence they collapse to easily, they are only intended for water shedding and their walls are too thin. they also are not waterproofed and will flood constantly from ground water.

A company a hundred miles away from me custom makes underground stork shelters up to 1000 square ft with mostly atlas style metal Legos and shit. My question is, if one was to stay underground for one year, where does all the sewage and shit go? Septic tank? Composting toilet? Incendiary toilet? How do I ensure that my toilet won’t upchuck 2-3 months worth of shit into my rape bunker?

concastpipe.com/pricing/

I don't think user can afford much else. Unless he goes mole man.

Concrete pouring is very expensive. To have a pad poured for my workshop for my business was almost as much as the fucking steel building. Plus the digging unless you have land that already has a huge natural dip. I have some land like this.

>dipped down like 25 feet
>had a concrete basement built
>dirt filled in around it
>then put my camper on top of it and use the basement as a shooting range and storm shelter

I have a small property. I'm a poorfag but if my current life plans go through I'll be able to buy up a lot of land around my current property within a year or two.

I don't have soil analysis but I live in New Hampshire so it's pretty standard Rocky new England soil.

Dont even know what the rest is

Plumbing and everything else can be done like a house. You could do a sewage tank and just base it's size off how many people will be staying in the residence.

One idea that could work is those giant cylinder style water tanks that some very rural fire depts use due to no high pressure water hydrants. They refill slowly. Anyway, they’re water tight obviously so if one were to be encased in concrete or given a steel lattice exoskeleton, I wonder if they could be used as a permanent unnaground house? Probably not but it’s an idea.

>do you have a plan to deflect all of the stresses of the dirt pushing down on your bunker?

>do you have a ventilation system? is that system rated for all the equipment you need?

>do you own a generator and/or have a power-line you can hook up to?

>do you have the frames for the concrete you will need to pour?

without knowing much I can tell that you live where the dirt is prime. NE US soil is lean clay which is great for building on. problem is winter, can't build in the winter.

you will have to have a soil analysis for your specific property, you can contact a geologist/engineering firm who can do that for you. they will drill a few holes and cut out a sample of dirt and do some other probing with radar and basically MRI you dirt.

if you want you can contact a general contractor and they can help you organize all of this and are pretty good about saving you money and doing the job correctly. on a job like this I would recommend this for insurance purposes.

as for the rest the fact you don't know idicates that you need to literally read the OHSA manual and the International Building Code.

here is the website for OSHA part 1926 (construction):
osha.gov/laws-regs/standardinterpretations/standardnumber/1926

OSHA regulations tell you how to build safely with minimal risk to your self and others.

here is the International Code Councel website:
iccsafe.org/products-and-services/i-codes/2018-i-codes/ibc/

these people sell the literal books on build standards, they also write them. they are not a government entity but a lot of governments including ALL US based governments use their standard.

here is the local interpretation and laws for New Hampshire:
nh.gov/safety/boardsandcommissions/bldgcode/nhstatebldgcode.html

there are more laws and interpretations at the local level.

that shit's WAAAAAAAYYYYY too overbuilt. You don't need any of that shit to make a bunker that would survive a nuclear attack.

unless a nuke will fall directly on top of you, you don't need that kind of infrastructure.

Here's the secret... build the bunker out of SHIPPING CONTAINERS!

You can buy 2 large shipping containers for $4000-5000 and then you can rent an excavator and just bury them and pour the concrete roof over it.

youtube.com/watch?v=UdOmMqj-I9w

Oh shit that's awesome. How would I handle air, water, and power though?

you can build underground shelters that are nice and livable but they are really just a house with dirt for a roof aka a hobbit hole.

“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.”

that is an IN-ground housing, NOT an UNDER ground housing. but if OP wants that it is 10/10 legit, still the concrete and steel reinforcement is expensive.

one of those bricks is like $5 so think like 100 is $500 then the rebar, which is equally expensive. so you can see how building materiel cost can add up.

Hold your breath and re-use your piss.

About all, you need these days...

>shipping containers
this isn't the way to do it, we've learned. The real trick is big ass pipes. Since it spreads the weight of the dirt over more area. Rather than the top face of the shipping container.

Attached: d652e3_ddd62c9b0c844d66934d4082aaafc1f2.x91042[1].jpg (964x723, 274K)

It’s actually a tomb, so just lay out your funs in an organized matter around your burial mound. I’ll be by to collect shortly

Air:
>a normal HVAC vent system, has a suck and push system. you can get ones rated for anthrax

Power:
>$5000 wielder/generator and stock up on fuel, some are propane so you can just bury a Large propane tank and run a line, then direct the exhaust strait up with a fan pulling it out.

I would think a 300 gallon tank should last a year if you conserve energy.

Water:
Ground well, IDK need a water table or else you will have to bury a massive tank and filter your own piss. you are going for a year not eternity.

Unsure about cost, but you'd want air circulation with HEPA filters, geothermal power if you can get it, or solar or wind, something renewable that you'd use very sparingly, mostly to keep the lights on, preferably attached to a chargable battery as well so you can run without sun/wind. You'd want lots and lots and lots and LOTS of water, preferably with some sort of recycling system, a whole lot of MREs, a small garden to supplement, a way to dispose of waste, sleeping space obviously, and good, thick, sturdy concrete and steel walls, maybe with lead insulation. You'll also of course want guns and ammo just in case, maybe a little booze or other treats for bad days, an adequate supply of medical stuff and any prescription meds, and definitely some entertainment. Given you'll be sparing with your electricity, I suggest novels, comics, textbooks and other reading material, a small pet, a cheap but sturdy onahole and lots of lube.

Be weary of that video. shipping containers aren't designed to handle loads anywhere other than their corners.
As far as air, water and power go, youll need at least another two containers
>Bedroom/bathroom
>kitchen/living area
>utility room
the latter is where you'd keep your equipment such as air vents and filters, generater and water filter

Based pipeposter

yeah i've seen some of those pipe shelters, think they have pretty damn nice ones for about 100k

as far as nuclear radiation is concerned a nuclear bomb's radiation after-effect only lasts 2 weeks, just don't drink the black rain or any "open water source".

the only time radiation is GTFO bad is a reactor meltdown and the only reason radiation doesn't disperse is because it is generated faster than it is dissipated. FYI Chernobyl is STILL churning out radiation as its melts its way to the core of the earth. they just build a massive concrete dome over ti to contain the fallout and ash.

check out atlas shelters

>Oh shit that's awesome. How would I handle air, water, and power though?
power = solar & generators if there's no sun.
air = filtration system based on commercially available HVAC
water = storage tanks + maybe even rain water could be filtered (unless there's radiation outside).

If I was gonna build this, I'd bury 3 shipping containers. two would be storage and generator, once would be for living.

watch this: youtube.com/watch?v=Z0oFJ2jbkDI

do more research on this on your own.

>this isn't the way to do it, we've learned. The real trick is big ass pipes. Since it spreads the weight of the dirt over more area. Rather than the top face of the shipping container.
watch this:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z0oFJ2jbkDI

it's fine. If you add rebar and beams and maybe even side columns from poured concrete, it would never cave,... even if you're in an earthquake zone.

No it can't

I install septic systems for a living.

If you build next to a structure you can run power off the grid. You could even put solar panels on the roof of said structure and use those to power your bunker.

Unless you live in the blast radius of a target you should be ok except for fallout. That will dissipate after a few weeks.

There’s no such thing as a professional construction worker. It is not a career, only a job
> pipe fitter

Couldn’t you just use a underground fuel or water tank and the basic form then cover it with rebar and cement.
It has the added benefit of being water resistant.

Attached: EA31F35F-0E03-4903-B4F3-31D24D67B4DA.jpg (711x399, 39K)

Tbh if I lived in an area where a Chernobyl or Fukashima type boogaloo happened, unless I was already old I would just move.

I could play johnny cash-I've been everywhere and it wouldn't be a lie.
youtube.com/watch?v=ov4epAJRPMw

It is a career and I am certified as a professional.

you are a tradesmen, not a collegiate professional I understand the confusion, but you have to have a LOT of experience doing everyone's, EVERYONE's job and it isn't easy.

ain't no problem being a pipe-fitter, but you ain't no carpenter, nor are you a concrete finisher.

>General contractor
>Finisher
>Site-worker
>Electrician
>Paver
>Pipe Fitter
>HVAC
>Plumber
>Tile layer
>Janitor

what haven't I done?

even if you had a bunker I would recommend hauling ass not waiting it out in that situation.

That's what I said. I wouldn't stay around if something like that happened

>If you add rebar and beams and maybe even side columns from poured concrete
In other words, spend an assload of money to make a homemade box culvert section that’s badly engineered from the start. Or, you could just buy pre-fab box culvert sections that are actually designed to be buried.

Yeah, I know. Crazy talk, right? Go ahead and build your suicide box.

I should note that Cities and counties may have overlapping authority and you may have to apply to both the city and county to get your license or permit.

>Yeah, I know. Crazy talk, right? Go ahead and build your suicide box.
retard, there are literally HUNDRED videos on YT of people doing this.
you're just a dumb motherfucker who can't cope with reality.

for less than $30K you can build a really nice bunker that will survive a nuclear fallout for at least a year.

There kinda is, it's called a foreman.

before you two get too deep into your shit fest, the whole issue is a matter of engineering and both suggestions are correct. if you are concerned you can spend the money and have a certified engineer approve your plan.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_and_licensure_in_engineering#Requirements

here do your own research.

I dreamed of having a two floor basement and hiding it under a prefab house.
The only way down a hatch and an industrial platform elevator.
Course all of that is out of my price range and the land I have is on a damn lake.
Oh well.

Attached: ele.jpg (500x500, 47K)

a general contractor foreman is as close to the most generalist "construction worker" there is, but normally they are "finishers" and only really know how to do a little of carpentry and are mostly "wall hangers"

I did this for a while.

a Foreman is normally just the most skilled tradesmen of his trade.

but thank-you user for you comment.

>build it IN the lake

Attached: img_3435.jpg (2048x1536, 278K)

You could, but that makes too much sense and is too cost-effective for nu-Jow Forums to even consider it.
No, half-rusted shipping containers or multi-million dollar prefab it must be, elsewise you're a double nigger and must show yourself the egress.

what about paying these guys to do it?

risingsbunkers.com/layouts-pricing-bunkers/survival-shelter-upgraded-model_10x40/

they seem reasonable. but remember these are shelters, like bomb-shelters, not the deep under-ground shelter OP was suggesting.

but based on what OP seems to have ended on wanting this would do pretty well as both a primary living and emergency shelter.

again this is why I was suggesting contacting a professional. I would look at a couple other building companies to compare but their prices are reasonable.

>Shipping container
Enjoying having several tons of dirt fall right on your head because shipping containers are not design to bear heavy loads

Attached: 1467056136438.png (558x744, 428K)

Yeah I toy'ed around with the idea off and on the past 10 years.They seem to be the best from my limited research. Though I would share it with you bros.

Wouldn’t just be easier to bury something above ground?

Attached: 927F0DFB-32B5-4A58-9475-1C0CC9111EF1.jpg (533x399, 33K)

The only way your greasy poverty tier ass could have been an electrician is in some monkey ass right to work state that doesn't require a license, and that my friend is not considered an electrician, just a monkey starting fires.

>t. Electrician building a data center

>shipping containers are not design to bear heavy loads
Aren’t they meant to be stacked on top of one another?

The corners take the weight when stacked

The corners support the weight
Dirt will not be on the corners

Self pour a pad
CMU or ICF walls
Contract out pouring the roof
Self construct steel access hatch
12" of dirt ontop if you are upwind, 24" if you are downwind

Water from well since you need minimum 1 gallon per person per day and 365 gal in 55gal drums would be a year of eternal thirst.
Power from batteries and generator
Food for a year is not difficult, most canned foods from a grocery store will last atleast that long. But you will want dehydrated beef, chicken, etc from camping rations

Forgot air but you will need a blast vent and some sort of filtration. Start with expanded steel mesh and work your way down to hepa. Stock replacement hepa filters inside the place. Locate your filter change somewhere near the garbage chute so you can move contaminated filters into the garbage chute with minimal time/movements inside your place

Hoes mad

Use 2 containers, with the top one designed to collapse

What about a mine that was abandoned a century or more ago? Or a small cave system?

Gotta watch out for radiation in them depending on the area. It's small but youre gonna be spending a year there

MINESHAFT GAP

It'd be better to just reinforce the container(s) you're living so it can take the weight, weld enough steel to it and it'll hold up.

Try not being a faggot

k, so how would someone go about doing this while staying under the radar? it seems almost impossible, unless you have a ton of land, to build one of these without anyone noticing all of the construction going on.

Claim you are making a private car garage/workshop. That will justify the building of a cellar. Of course you'll need a shell structure on top but that's not a negative in itself.

innapipes?

Poverty point?

>whatcha makin Cleetus
>Just putting in new septic
Ezpz. Its just concrete and maybe a shack over top of it - in the end itll be buried and you'll just have two pipes sticking up out of the ground.

This guy did it: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jamelske

People just thought he was having a patio poured.

Like others said, only the frame, every other part is just flimsy sheet metal that is not designed with any real structural integrity in mind

Attached: 21343214123.jpg (1668x1188, 775K)

>there are literally HUNDRED videos on YT of people doing this.
There’s also videos of buried shipping containers collapsing. But hey, if you want to trust your life to a YT video, go for it. Darwin Awards come in many forms.

>for less than $30K you can build a really nice bunker
For around $20K you could bury a section of box culvert that’s bigger than a Conex box, is waterproof, won’t rust, won’t leak, and is designed to be buried. You can also expand it later by adding more sections.

>will survive a nuclear fallout for at least a year.
A nuclear fallout? Just one? Do you have any clue at all of what you’re trying to say? If you’re talking about fallout, you don’t need to hide for a year, fuckwit. Dumping thousands of $ into something to protect against a hazard that you don’t understand and haven’t researched is Doomsday Preppers tier retarded. If there’s fallout, you stay indoors for 21 days and then check your area. Have your wrangler read the 7/10 rule to you.

>you're just a dumb motherfucker who can't cope with reality.
Says the user who wants to dump $30K into a hole in the ground for reasons he can’t even articulate.

btfo desu fampire

>6 or half dozen
if you build it above ground you would have to do less digging but that means more infill.
>where are you going to source all that dirt?

at that point you just built a reinforced house.

>shipping containers
>bro they can hold a ton
TARE weight is what the container is rated for and how much the unit itself weighs empty on a load. They're steel boxes designed to be moved and stacked. Theyre not reinforced for that much weight covering the entire thing. You'll be buried alive

>radiation only lasts two weeks
False

Present your fucking evidence otherwise because you're being an uneducated faggot at the moment.
Three Mile Island was the worst nuclear disaster in the history of the US, and it hardly affected fucking anyone. Those it did affect were radiated LESS than they would have been standing outside on a particularly sunny day.

>less digging
Less drainage issues
Less construction issues associated with building in a hole

>where are you going to source all that dirt
A grader

>true
once exposed to radiation however the after effects can last years.

so to detail what happened at Hiroshima:

when the bomb was dropped there was a massive amount of heat and light released, anyone caught in the open was instantly vaporized but if you were inside or under cover there was a fair chance you survived, you may have some non-irradiation heat burn but you were alive. if you were caught in the "flash" you might have some non-lethal radiation and radiation caused heat-burns

at this point the bomb had expelled its residual radiation and was finished

the next thing that happened was all the water that vaporized was thrown up unto the air with irradiated ash. this will form "black-rain" which is full of ionizing radiation. a few minuets later it will start to rain. if you are caught in this rain you will get an unhealthy dose of lethal irradiation, your projected life-span has been reduced to about a week. if you drink it, about a day. any open water source would have been ionized and you need to leave the area after the raining finishes.

here is a video of flash burn victims:
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/342-usaf-11034_Medical_Aspects-Hiroshima.webm

here is a wiki that has complied all of the events and medical documentation of Hiroshima for common knowledge:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_nuclear_explosions

the radiation would them be adsorbed into the environment and reach nominal levels over the course of two weeks. the area would then be safe to inhabit, but much of the native life would have cancerous mutations

in Hiroshima this was visible via the wild flower bloom and death a few days later as mutated daisy rapidly multiplied and died.

>a grader
so you are going to dig up your yard? do you have a drainage plan or are you just going to spend all the time and money replanting and seeding? the top layer of soil is fertile, in a lot of places when you displace that, the plants will not regrow and you will have a lot of bare spots. you may also have to remove a lot of trees which probably won't net you any good wood and you will be forced to burn it for economical reasons.

>Less drainage issues
all a build dependent problem, if water hits the flat of you house it can cause an undercut problem and cause your house to either shift and ride the ground like a slow moving surfboard or undermine leading to a large hole under your house that will cause the house to cave in.

drainage is a solution to a watershed problem.

>Less construction issues associated with building in a hole
still going to have to build in a hole you just bury it when you are done. which is arguably more work as you have to compact the dirt.

here is an example of drainage for an above ground structure, still had to dig to install this.

Attached: Properly Installed Drain Tile Discharging to Daylight.jpg (1500x1207, 235K)

>Use 2 containers
>Top one collapses
>Now weight is pressing on the bottom container
>Bottom one collapses too
Congrats you fucking retard

Three mile island was not a nuclear detonation you mouth breathing retard

>a bunch of highly situational concerns
Cool
>still going to have to build in a hole you just bury it when you are done
This is not even english

Stop posting

>melts it’s way to the core of the earth
No. The fuel was stopped before it reached the water table by a concrete pad and a heat sink. If it reached the water table there would have been a massive steam explosion that would have made everything far worse.

I too have seen HBO's Chernobyl

>how are you going to build the foundation 101.

Lol I'm a IBEW local 48 electrician making fucking bank. I'm not mad even in the slightest. No self respecting electrician would work other trades, we make more money for longer than any other trades. Pipe fitters make slightly more on the check depending on hours, but have worse pension and benefits and aren't on the job as long as we are. There is no point that do something else

Attached: 8BEFF206-3603-46FB-AD74-FA8AC8228E96.jpg (500x688, 100K)

Consider using shipping containers rather than getting jewed for millions?

Attached: 2BC2B6C8-4DAC-4E48-BE4B-FB9F4B52168E.jpg (768x1024, 202K)

>shipping containers
See this guy fucking gets it
Based

Shipping container within the pipe?

Kek

mynewoldschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/prepping-matrix-ver-1.jpg

Big version

Hnnnng yeeeeeah

Attached: 1561334941130.jpg (492x504, 124K)

A couple grands to 100,000, depending on what you want.
atlassurvivalshelters.com/
You are probably looking for their "modular square" models though.

You are very wrong and gay.

professional just means you make money doing it you dumb fuck

Not too much. If you have land you can set up something for around 10-20k.

The tip to start: Under ground is for fucking retards, you want an above-ground shelter, fortified, isolated and equipped for what you think are likely problems.

You seem to think you are going to have to deal with an NBC threat. That's super unlikely, but fuck it, it's also not the hardest thing to resist. You need positive pressure air filtration and a year (realistically fallout won't be dangerous after a few weeks) of HEPA filters, and a very fine dust respirator and clean suit to change your filters, bag them and get them into a hot trash pile. You can hand pump the air filter but you'd be better off not being an asshole and just running a blower.

Next you need a water supply. You think radiation is a danger, so I imagine you don't want to do cheap rain catching, that means either storage or a well. A well is likely worth the extra cost, as long as it stays clear and your pump holds out you've got water, and groundwater is radiation safe in almost all cases.

Above ground means solar is an option, and your year sequestered will go a fuck of a lot faster with electrical power. A few dozen deep cycle batteries*, an inverter and a few square meters of panels isn't unreasonable budget wise. Remember you will need to keep them clean, so hey, another chance to put on that clean suit and get on the roof.

Going above ground you can line the walls with sandbags or fill between walls with rammed earth or rubble and put in a few deep-set small windows so you can see sky and still have walls thick enough to stop delta radiation or a bullet. It also means you can go with a a light tube to grow fresh food.

*The more you use the less you lose. The less the lead-acid batteries are cycled and the slower they drain the longer they last. If you want to keep your laptop, blower and light running for 365 days you will want capacity to spare.

a good half a million at least honestly building something you could survive in for a year yourself is pretty unlikely you might be able to make something you could last in for up to a few months maybe and thats if you got enough rations and entertainment

>professional
you don't know what that word means mr. no-degree

its like 9.11 all over again.

Don't do this unless you want your're bunker to collapse