What is the technical definition of machine gun in US law?

What is the technical definition of machine gun in US law?

Would it be legal to make some form of fully automatic black powder rifle? What about a high powered (>800fps) full auto air rifle?

Attached: n2PSpAA.jpg (1008x453, 116K)

As far as I know there are no restrictions on air guns. In fact Umarex makes a full automatic Uzi and Mauser C96 BB gun. This can vary by state though. As for a black powder, I wouldn't risk it, it's not worth $200,000 and a decade in prison

The ATF website has all you'll need and then some.

Yes it would be legal
THIS IS NOW A QTDDTT

Attached: 1512785776411.gif (280x212, 1.49M)

What's a nice innawoods rifle? Want wood and iron sights, with a cartridge for deer and overly friendly hikers. Budget 700 or less

sks comrade

Sks
Many people shit on them now, but it’s super reliable. Got mine for 300$ a couple weeks ago. Look for one with a good crown on its barrel.

>I wouldn't risk it, it's not worth $200,000 and a decade in prison

Attached: 863c0e8429e89313070e5e10d77d1c45e9cf63ee3309efed44cb2a9e8fe73f2b.jpg (1200x640, 128K)

FAL

how was this dude so based when john adams was such a queer.

SKS, even the norinco commercial models are perfectly reliable, use a dirt cheap cartridge with ballistics similar to 30-30, and are reasonably available (with parts to match)

ya don't say, just like good ole 30-30!?
welp I never heard of .30 Russian Red Short before, but I love some 30-30. Next time I head on down to the general I'll have a looker at one of them china SK's. Thanks user

SKS

I’d suggest WASR but uh... if you run into any hippie fucks, they’ll freak out

>The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.
Notice that it says "any weapon" not "any Firearm" Technically I believe this could be applied to air rifles. Don't tell the ATF though.
realistically you're not likely to get in trouble for an air rifle, but a black powder machine gun is almost definitely illegal.

The main difference being that 7.62s bullets tend to top out around 150, whereas 30-30 tops out around 170(I think)
I personally use the 124gr hollowpoints, and they've never let me down.
It's also hard to beat the price, not sure what 1000 rounds of 30-30 goes for, but 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 is about 2 hundo.

Well, upon casual research, the fact that Susannah Boylston has a Wikipedia entry and Mary Fifield-Adams does not suggests that Sam had a better mother.

I've only bought my guns at shows, what's it like buying online

SKS. If you can up your budget by a few hundo, get a VEPR in .308. You could also try to find a VZ.58.

If you're ok with not having semi-auto, that opens up a host of options. My favorite gun in my collection is a Winchester levergat in .357, which has incredible ballistics out of longer barrels, but the gun is still astonishingly compact. In fact, if you're open to levergats, you could go over the top and get something in .45-70, which is an absurd fucking cartridge by any metric.

Really, there are so many options that you need to give more than "cheap innawoods gun". But if nothing else, sure, SKS and $400 of ammo. Use it to train, set aside a bit for good stripper clips. Maybe get a bipod. Glass males everything better though, and you could maybe visit the concept of the scout rifle.

Also bakelite > wood.

Easy enough if you get a good FFL to receive the gun. Assuming they do their job and exchange info with the seller then everything goes smoothly.

Worst transfer I've had happened when a shop ran by a single dude recieved a rifle of mine right when he caught a serious illness. He was in the hospital for weeks and there was absolutely no way to contact him, though this isn't something that happens often, obviously.

>SKS for 300
Good luck

>What is the technical definition of machine gun in US law?
Is that the thing that goes up?

PSA 20 inch AR15

Attached: 18E5FD2B-BE01-407F-B6F5-232F08210187.jpg (504x151, 50K)

Technically speaking
If you can manage to locate the final pieces of Maxim's "Precursor"
you could own and operate it without a tax stamp

But that requires you to essentially find the fucking Lost Ark of the Covenant of machineguns.

>700 or less

>Would it be legal to make some form of fully automatic black powder rifle?
No. It wouldn't work either; black powder creates so much fouling that it will jam up any sort of automatic mechanism very fast. Study history, there's a reason nobody invented a working machine gun until after smokeless powder was invented.
The legal loophole I think you're thinking about hinges on muzzle-loaders, not black powder.

>What about a high powered (>800fps) full auto air rifle?
totally legal, and they already exist.

What if you used a forward blowing open gas tube, converting Force to push the bolt via a lever?

I drew up a design for something like what you’re describing.

As said the key is “muzzleloader” and not just “black powder”. If you were to build an full auto AK that ran on a custom black powder .45 cal cartridge it’d still be a machine. Same reason you can saw off 1899 black powder breech loading shotguns.

That being said, there is a way around this. My design used pre-loaded cylinders that were much like a cap and ball cylinder to be loaded with loose power and ball with a percussion cap. To make it reliably function, it would operate on an internal spring powder gear system that operates a striker and rotates/indexes the cylinder and is mostly sealed off from the charges detonating.

*Machine gun. Forgive my mobile posting

Whatever the BATFags want it to be this week.