Can anyone identify this rifle?

Pic related is a caplock rifle I have. Can anyone identify it? I cannot find any maker marks on it due to the rust. It's probably of Austrian/Central European origin.
Also how would you go about preserving it?

Attached: IMG_9529.jpg (3134x650, 493K)

Other urls found in this thread:

eshop.wuerth.de/Product-categories/Rust-converter/14013006080501.cyid/1401.cgid/en/US/EUR/?CatalogCategoryRef=14013006080501@WuerthGroup-Wuerth-1401&SelectedFilterAttribut=%5B%5D
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: IMG_9530.jpg (3264x2448, 2.93M)

Attached: IMG_9531.jpg (3264x2448, 3.05M)

Attached: IMG_9532.jpg (3264x2448, 2.24M)

Attached: IMG_9534.jpg (3264x2448, 2.46M)

Attached: IMG_9533.jpg (3264x2448, 3.02M)

Check for any distinguishing marks in the barrel that aren't ornamental lines or designs.

Are you sure it isn't a smoothbore?
German fowling pieces were typically half stocks like that.

I have been looking, but there is a lot of rust and I have trouble finding anything. I will again try to find it again tomorrow with a magnifier. They are usually somewhere near where the breech would be on a modern gun (I am not familiar with terminology for front loading rifles), right?

Correct, your best bet is at the back of the barrel, you even if it looks like a dent in the metal get a picture of it. You can take WD-40 and spray on a rag gently wiping the metal to clear up some of the rust and grime.

Honestly I couldn't tell if it is smoothbore or not, the inside of the barrel is rusted to shit and filled with dust (it was hidden in a barn for 50-something years). I am only sure that the firing mechanism is caplock

Looks like some kind of old tourist garbage. I doubt that's even a real working gun. If it is, it's Khyber pass tier.

Thanks, will report back tomorrow if the thread is still up.

It's definetly real. My great grandfather hid it and 2 other rifles during ww2. Grandmother confirmed they could still shoot it in the '20s.

Are you legitimately retarded?

I'll take your word that it works, but it's obviously something that was made by a serious amateur.

No, what makes you think I am? The workmanship on that thing is beyond awful, yet it has features meant to look fancy, like the pierced brass barrel bands. If that doesn't scream tourist garbage or Khyber-pass tier crap I don't know what does.

Bump for OP

So I have been looking for any marks this morning and I couldn’t find anything. I then checked the other rifle I have (pic related) and I also couldn’t find anything.
How should I go about preserving the guns? How should I remove the rusting? Also what should I use to coat it, I’ve read that oil is not the best for long term storage/display since it attracts dust which attracts water.

Attached: DA4B34CD-3E55-466F-AEDD-32296492A81D.jpg (3128x605, 417K)

Are you by any chance French? This whole thing looks like it could come from Northern Africa.

Nope, Slovene

Ah. Then I propose this weapon was made by a local smith loosely mimicking the Turkish decoration style of the time. If so, you'll probably not find any markings.

As for restoring I'd be more worried about the lacquer than the steel. Ballistol would be a good cleansing choice and should not cause any damage to either metal nor stock.

Incidentally - that rifle may well still be loaded. Take some care.

The overall low quality of the piece would suggest locally made. As for the rust mineral oil and an old shirt should take off the red rust. To be honest you're better off just halting any active rust and leaving it as is. With no proof marks or marking it would be quite dangerous to shoot.

That is probably true

>that rifle may well still be loaded
Yep, I am afraid of that too. I tried taking a picture of the inside but the barrel is blocked with crap after about 15cm

Bump for interest

Use a brass cleaning rod if you have it and slowly clear out the muck, you'd then need a ball extractor if it is indeed loaded. Or some ingenuity, a metal rod, and a screw if you're so inclined.

Shows Turk influence, likely a shot-gun, don't remove too much rust as it might break apart due to interior rust caused by black powder, nice wall hanger, I had a similar Turk shotgun

Is using something like this OK? It's a rust converter (pic related is the result on my ww1 helmet, it was completely brown before) eshop.wuerth.de/Product-categories/Rust-converter/14013006080501.cyid/1401.cgid/en/US/EUR/?CatalogCategoryRef=14013006080501@WuerthGroup-Wuerth-1401&SelectedFilterAttribut=%5B%5D
I am thinking of removing the big pieces of rust and then coating it. Am not sure if it will be nice to the etchings tho.

Attached: IMG_3410.jpg (3264x2448, 2.05M)