Dad wants a Taurus 617

So my old man has been looking into ccws lately and wanted me to do some research on Taurus 617. What is Jow Forums's opinion of them?

Attached: 31314_2.jpg (500x343, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1YTOV4dYLQE
gunbroker.com/item/817069564
gunbroker.com/Revolvers/search?PageSize=96&Sort=4&View=1&BuyNowOnly=1&Ch-manufacturerName=Smith & Wesson&Ch-Caliber=.38 Spl.&Condition=1
youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw
youtube.com/watch?v=phKXhNPveZI
youtube.com/watch?v=5TkSNgZt0BE
youtube.com/watch?v=v0k56pS_u3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=o4oPdLx5pQw
youtube.com/watch?v=JhYB7Cbv1Kg
youtube.com/watch?v=yzYYKM59BuU
youtube.com/watch?v=T5Ncm0wKk9U
youtube.com/watch?v=k1qkiFPqVWI
youtube.com/watch?v=a6Ts_oh8X18
classicfirearms.com/eaawindicator357rev2inch6shot/)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They go bang, just inspect yours and give it a good break in round count to make sure you didn't get a lemon.

stop being poor

To just get a Smith and Wesson.

Never buy Taurus. They are genuinely unsafe.
I will never recommend a revolver for CCW, but if there's no changing his mind, whatever you do don't buy a Taurus.

>They go bang
Yea, just not the way you wanted it to.

Please kys

no u faggot.

I had a 605 and it was decent for the money, once I had more cash I bought an SP101 and replaced it. 5/10 not bad but lacking polish and refinement

Get a Ruger if he's poor. Do not buy a Taurus.

2nd LCR is lighter and safer.

>I will never recommend a revolver for CCW

Would you care to elaborate on that statement? otherwise that sounds pretty dumb

There are no ways in which revolvers are superior to semi-autos and multiple ways in which they are worse.

There are pros and cons to both.
>There are no ways in which revolvers are superior to semi-autos

except
1. superior ammo selection
2. reduced likely hood of a user induced malfunction
3. small revolver are generally more reliable than subcompact semis

> multiple ways in which they are worse.
Yet you name none?
I help you, more limited capacity.

Revolver fag here, this is pretty true. Only exception is if you're a pistol hunting memer, or if you need something for brown/grizzley bear defense.

>superior ammo selection
Wrong. 9mm has more velocity than .357 mag out of a 3" barrel.
If you want more there's 357sig and 10mm.

>reduced likely hood of a user induced malfunction
This could mean a million things and they would all be your fault.

>small revolver are generally more reliable than subcompact semis
This is a meme. Good quality semi-autos and revolvers will go thousands of rounds without malfunctions.

>multiple ways in which they are worse
Not just capacity, slower reload, slower to fix small malfunctions, nearly impossible to fix catastrophic malfunctions like a primer backing out or the timing getting fucked, nearly no options for necessary add-ons like lights, and nearly none for nice to have add-ons like optics (no, 4x hunting scopes do not count), shit choices for iron sights, and nearly always thicker compared to semi-autos.

Mags for both capacity and malfunction clearing as well as having a light is enough to be a deal breaker.

Ruger or S&W

>Wrong. 9mm has more velocity than .357 mag out of a 3" barrel.

Do you have a source for that? BBTI disagrees.

I'm not even saying you are wrong that semis are superior, But you are wrong to say there is absolutely no advantages.

>If you want more there's 357sig and 10mm

Which semi shoots 44 magnum or .327?
I can find a revolver that can shoot nearly any semi auto cartridge but not the other way around.

>This could mean a million things and they would all be your fault.
Do you have a mother who may not be able to pull the slide of a semi auto? or know a disabled person who may not?

>Good quality semi-autos and revolvers will go thousands of rounds without malfunctions.
Again, you aren't wrong in that. But you refuse to take into consideration that not all ammo is the same. will every single 9mm round fire through every single 9mm semi? that is a non issue in a revolver. the cylinder turns no matter the round.

Your last points are all true and worth consideration. But think for a second about my points. Your initial statement that "There are no ways in which revolvers are superior" is factually false

>44 magnum
Desert Eagal
>or .327
implying its relevant
>Do you have a mother who may not be able to pull the slide of a semi auto? or know a disabled person who may not
Push slide on table or hook sights on belt and push
>will every single 9mm round fire through every single 9mm semi
if you aren't retarded and read ahead, but based on your previous arguments I would assume the opposite

Why are revolvers more expensive than a Glock? my G19 was $850 while SW revolver is $1350

youtube.com/watch?v=1YTOV4dYLQE

>Which semi shoots 44 magnum or .327?
None. And there's a reason for that. Just simply making bigger bullets doesn't mean they perform better or are actually advantageous.
Why not carry a 500S&W? It's bigger and has more velocity after all.

>Do you have a mother who may not be able to pull the slide of a semi auto? or know a disabled person who may not?
No, and even if I did, you would still be talking about 15+1 rounds vs 6.
That is not a plus for revolvers.

>not all ammo is the same.
I wasn't talking about ammo.

>will every single 9mm round fire through every single 9mm semi?
Every single modern decent quality semi-auto, yes.

>That is a non issue in a revolver. the cylinder turns no matter the round.
Really? Let me know how firing 357mag +P goes out of a 38 special.

>$850 for a G19
What in the sweet fuck?
There's plenty of sub $500 revolvers out there.

>Push slide on table or hook sights on belt and push
Why do this when you can just have a revolver instead?

>implying its relevant
You didnt even argue against my my point. "I can find a revolver that can shoot nearly any semi auto cartridge but not the other way around."

>retarded
I figured it would only take a few comments for you to result to ad hom. You don't have the capacity to grow as a person if you are not willing to admit you are wrong. Which you are at least in the manner I pointed out. Sleep well tonight, hopefully you will wake up with a better attitude.

>No, and even if I did, you would still be talking about 15+1 rounds vs 6
If you can't get a round into the chamber in the first place that is 0 vs 6.

>Really? Let me know how firing 357mag +P goes out of a 38 special.

You are kind of showing you don't know much about revolvers. If a revolver is not chambered for .357 then the cylinder will not close to to longer length of the round.

>advocating israeli carry
That's big dumb

perks of living outside of USA where salaries are 3rd of what min wage is in USA and prices are 3x

My condolences, at least you're hasguns, so keep it up. Generally it boils down to market saturation and supply. Most times you will find a revolver here cheaper than its semi automatic counterpart of the same quality. Are there high end revolvers and automatics that are outliers? Absolutely. In your case you might be looking at a rarer version of a smith or they're just not imported in large quantities.

>do some research on Taurus 617. What is Jow Forums's opinion of them?
Buy a Ruger or Charter Arms if he's a cheap fuck. Buy a Colt or a Smith & Wesson if he wants a heirloom quality snubby. Buy a Taurus or a RIA if he's more likely to shoot himself in the foot than to competently defend his home.

it's this one, which is 500 MSRP

Attached: 12058_8_lg.jpg (500x500, 19K)

There were a couple things that bothered me about MAC's test. He fired only one shot. Also, for all the skimming I did (30 minute long video), I couldn't find a single point at which he told us the exact ammo specs, only the caliber and projectile mass. For all we know, he could have fired one of the "low recoil" loads for the .357 that are floating around out there.

If I'm going to have to choose between the two sources, I'm gonna choose BBTI.

$400 and under depending on a sale

>likely hood

Attached: 3a7.jpg (680x680, 81K)

I am gonna start walking to USA, I should be at the border in few months, come pick me up, I am moving in with you.

>You didnt even argue against my my point
Because your point is based off the assumption that any round existing deserves to be shot. just because a revolver exists that can shoot .25ACP doesn't mean .25 ACP is a cartridge worth its weight in anything. It's outdated and less powerful rounds perform its job as good. As such, there doesn't need to be a pistol, revolver or autoloader, in .25ACP, let alone a pistol fitted to every fraction of an inch in bore diameter and firing chamber. Therefore your argument of
>a revolver for auto cartridges but not vice versa
is moot
and
>I figured it would only take a few comments for you to result to ad hom
if you can't figure out how to rack a slide with one hand you are retarded

>pointing out a typo by using a picture
>not even pointing out that "I help you" should be "I'll help you"
Thank you for contributing your vast intelligence to the discussion.

Attached: shinki.jpg (809x1024, 103K)

>if you can't figure out how to rack a slide with one hand you are retarded

why would you do that instead of just carrying a revolver? I bet you would tell someone missing their right arm and left leg "If you can't figure out how to drive a manual you are fucking stupid"

>If you can't get a round into the chamber in the first place that is 0 vs 6.
Everyone can press a button. It's 15+1 vs 6.

>If a revolver is not chambered for .357 then the cylinder will not close to to longer length of the round.
There are many models that will.

You’re either trolling or a moron. You always carry one in the chamber so this “my mommy might have to rack a slide” argument is shit. Stop being a hipster douche shooting an outdated design. Also enjoy your 6 shots not being enough to engage multiple targets in sustained shooting, and getting shot/stabbed in your neck beard trying to reload. At least you’d bleed out knowing mommy or some hypothetical gimp could have shot your shitty revolver...

Revovlers are good when they are small or large. Snub is GOAT pocket gun but once you move up to belt carry there's no reason beyond larping to not carry a 15+ semi auto.

Attached: 1518127295418.png (600x700, 386K)

$300

gunbroker.com/item/817069564

gunbroker.com/Revolvers/search?PageSize=96&Sort=4&View=1&BuyNowOnly=1&Ch-manufacturerName=Smith & Wesson&Ch-Caliber=.38 Spl.&Condition=1

Find a used S&W or Ruger. Budget revolvers have to be one of the worst purchases possible unless you're getting a 22lr plinker to play cowboy.

I have 4 Tarus pistols. All work flawlessly. Where do you get your info, no guns?

How many classes have you taken them to and how many thousands of rounds have you put through them, no guns?
And sitting in a safe "flawlessly" doesn't actually prove anything.

youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw

youtube.com/watch?v=phKXhNPveZI

youtube.com/watch?v=5TkSNgZt0BE

youtube.com/watch?v=v0k56pS_u3Q
>they settled the drop safe class action lawsuit for 40 mil and new their guns weren't drop safe

youtube.com/watch?v=o4oPdLx5pQw

youtube.com/watch?v=JhYB7Cbv1Kg

youtube.com/watch?v=yzYYKM59BuU

Brazillian military and police have contracts with Taurus and have had endless problems with them.
Stop buying this garbage because you don't want to save your money and then defend it online because you feel like your ego is being attacked.

Attached: taurus revolver frame cracking.jpg (2592x1936, 654K)

Some more for your viewing pleasure.

youtube.com/watch?v=T5Ncm0wKk9U

youtube.com/watch?v=k1qkiFPqVWI

youtube.com/watch?v=a6Ts_oh8X18

>I have 4 Tarus pistols
y tho

lol this motherfucking brandfag is mad as fuck.

Because S&W hasn't shipped a shitload of lemons in recent years right? I mean it's not like SIG released the P365 with critical flaws so the public could beta test for them right? If anything Taurus is starting to unfuck themselves while the big boys are fucking up more and more. What a timeline. My next gun will be a Taurus TX22 btw...

Attached: 1559592368700.jpg (1440x1637, 313K)

>brandfag
I literally never mentioned any other brand other than Taurus.
What is it like to have room temperature IQ?

>My next gun will be a Taurus TX22 btw
You know what they say about stupid people just doubling down when shown proof that they are wrong rather than change their mind.
That's literally you.

If you're so butthurt by Taurus you spend the time to find and link a bunch of old ass videos then you must think another brand is superior by comparison thus...brandfag. We all know your ego is tied up in your possessions boomer faggot.

Attached: 1533930843618.jpg (578x712, 152K)

Ok.

But user, there are a lot of brands better than Taurus. It's just a fact.

It's a $300 .22 bro.

It's not like ordering a $1000 carry comp that shows up with a canted barrel shroud, gouges in the frame where the monkeys fucked it up installing the shroud and a screw through the top strap that creates a vortex of hot gasses that blows the finish off the cylinder with normal use right?

Yeah but someone buying a $200 G2C or a cheap revolver(when they probably won't even shoot it that much) shouldn't make someone rage on the internet that hard. It's just a cheap gun. You don't need to spill your spaghetti all over an Indonesian rice farming forum about it.

So there are a lot of noguns faggots, zoomers and retards in this thread spouting bullshit you're going to have to sift through and ignore.

>Taurus
I wouldn't trust my life to one, I've personally seen too fucking many be absolute unreliable and unsafe pieces of shit. The EAA Windicator (classicfirearms.com/eaawindicator357rev2inch6shot/) is a great budget wheelgun costing ~$260 and I have friends that carry them daily and shoot regularly without issue and they're quite fond of them. Personally I'm a S&W guy, but Ruger is also the other great option.

>Muh Revolvers are Outdated
It's a tradeoff between revolvers and pistols. While pistols have a higher capacity and are generally lighter, revolvers offer you more load selection and power in addition to being easier to conceal because the curved frame and grip mesh better with your body than the blocky chunks of a pistol. Additionally a revolver can be fired from inside a pocket, pushed into the gut of your problem, etc whereas a pistol's slide will catch and fail to cycle. A revolver that has been cut for moon clips, or if you use speed loaders can be reloaded only slightly slower than a pistol. Additionally for innawoods carry revolvers generally take the cake for defense against big angry shit. For EDC while a pistol is generally the better option, a revolver will do the job just fine; pick the tradeoffs you want to make.

For a long time when all I had in terms of handguns was my S&W 627PC 5.5" that was my daily carry. A bit of a bitch to conceal but I never felt undergunned with 8 rounds of .357mag and 2-3 full moon clips ready to go. In fact when I'm innawoods I generally carry this over my Glocks as is superior at dealing with large predators such as wolves, cougars and black bear (for brown/grizzly in theory .357mag can do the job but you'll want a bigger fun if you have them where you live.)

>getting a cheap revolver
>Brazilian made

You're asking for trouble. Get a S&W 367 or something similar and be done with it.