How was the Confederate States Army able to inflict more casualties than the Union Army with fewer supplies...

How was the Confederate States Army able to inflict more casualties than the Union Army with fewer supplies, lack of food, and less soldiers?

Attached: The-Bloody-Angle.jpg (3391x2219, 1.86M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VdphvuyaV_I
youtube.com/watch?v=rNrPJ7RTkh0
youtube.com/watch?v=Jhx9Ivgu68g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=VdphvuyaV_I

A winning combination of inept union officers and under experienced enlisted

The most costly battles for the union involved attacked intrenched infantry.

When the confederates tried it (Pickett’s charge) they met the same fate.

The South had more experienced leadership

defensive vs offensive operations

The confederates had the distinct advantage of not being led by a borderline treasonous fool. No matter you think of Lincoln, he was absolutely in the right for demanding that McClellan pursue the Confederates after a victory, and yet he decided the best thing to do was to allow them to regroup and fortify themselves. I mean for fucks sake he could have won the war in a year if he was willing to actually deploy his beloved army.

Attached: General George B McClellan Square.jpg (380x370, 24K)

You you are aware of what you described ...how are you not aware of how it happened?
..or didn't happen?

oh yes because you are trying to bait an old conversation
you should be banned

im sick of you
and YOUR kind

His beloved army would have literally done anything for him too.
Hell, he could have turned on Washington and they probably would have followed.

This

Attached: 1561505926790.png (500x514, 105K)

No, this is a child's understanding of war
This.

Because the yankee soldiers were just pawns forced to fight for their “morally superior” yet tyrannical government. The confederate were fighting for states rights, they fought tooth and nail for their homeland and the preservation of freedom the way it was originally intended. They knew that if they were defeated it would effectively mean the end of everything America was intended to be. Now we live in muttland completely run by national corporations who are in bed with big government. The people are all economic cogs. Shekel making drones for their masters.

>The confederate were fighting for states rights, they fought tooth and nail for their homeland and the preservation of freedom the way it was originally intended.

Don't forget Anne Frank

Attached: 1535428724493.jpg (900x884, 54K)

Fpbp

I actually think Lincoln was a superior leader to Jefferson Davis in most respects desu.

Davis never even wanted to be Presidents and he simply couldn't inspire people the way Lincoln could. People could get so fanatically whipped up in a fervor about Lincoln that soldiers wrote songs about wanting to die for him. The man could inspire devotion from people who had never even seen him in a way rivaled only perhaps by Hitler or Stalin.

You could find no shortage of people willing to die for Lincoln, the same could not be said of Davis.

t. Southerner (not Shelby Foote)

Attached: lincoln campaign flag.jpg (800x600, 122K)

>implying the Fugitive Slave Act didn't infringe on every free states rights
>implying anti-abolition mobs of southern men weren't murdering pastors and taking over voting houses in Kansas

Never forget Lovejoy. Came out with a pistol to defend his printing press and was shot dead for it.

>states rights
>preservation of freedom
You mean Slavery? Thanks for importing democrat voting black people to America Cetus, next time pick your own cotton.

The South put their trust in our Lord Jesus Christ.

“I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation.”
― Robert E. Lee

“In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.”
― Robert E. Lee

Attached: Robert_Edward_Lee.jpg (2807x4154, 1.55M)

>Based general

Worked out great for Jackson

>tfw Lee didn't scatter his armies after Appomattox
>tfw he didn't encourage them to fight a guerrilla war in small bands
What could have been..

You got it reversed retard

In the early stages of the war, the Confederates were helped by the fact the US army was being commanded by quite possibly the most singularly incompetent military commander in the history of warfare. McCellan was, in all academic honesty, a complete fucking retard.

Even accounting for the fact that Lee was a sound tactician and damn lucky, not even the most brain dead West Point Noob could have fucked up as badly as this moron.

By the time Lincoln finally sacked him and got somebody in who knew what the fuck they were doing, the result was what should have always been, Dixie grinded in like an old whore within a year.

>doesn't want to lose his men in battle
>ends up prolonging a war that killed even more of them

Attached: 1476157537100.jpg (552x528, 64K)

no u

It almost certainly didn't help that on top of being incompetent, he was a fucking pussy and eaisly fooled by diversionary tactics. He makes Monty look like Rommel by comparision

Personally, I think Davis would have been much better as a general for the Confederate army than a president/politician.

I think what makes me the most upset at him is the implication that he was just buying time for his presidential bid. He was (allegedly) leveraging his position of power in the military in order to secure political power, which I find fucking abhorrent.

>There are people who actually believe this.

If you think for a second the plantation holders weren't in bed with their governments to keep slave labour going over having to pay any wages to poor people of any colour, and didn't want to establish a new plantation aristocracy then you're an idiot. US values were borne out in the North, which is how they actually made money with innovation not niggers.

>McCellan was, in all academic honesty, a complete fucking retard.
Are you kidding? He was arguably the most talented organizer and soldier trainer in US military history.
Literally no one, and I mean no one, could have whipped a bunch of volunteer civilians into a mighty army as well as he did in such a short amount of time, not mention gain the army's love too.
On top of all that, he knew how to motivate and actually cared for the well being of his army, something literally no other general really did for the remainder of the war.

It Irks me that history as treated him so poorly, all because he played it safe and refused to needlessly feed his men into the meat grinder.

>Are you kidding? He was arguably the most talented organizer and soldier trainer in US military history.

Absolutely, and a fucking shit general.

Home advantage AND the Union didn't mind meatgrindering tons of barely literate Irish, Italians, etc. into entrenched Confederate lines. The Union had more people and valued their lives a lot less as soldiers.

The South had more to shoot at. The north had a harder time shooting at soldiers that ran away before the fight started

>defending an institution that is more expensive to maintain than just hiring Paddy or Fritz right off the boat for pennies and not giving a fuck about them after paying said pennies.
Also continues to keep up that beloved racial purity you Jow Forumstards love so much instead of taking out more loans in order to keep importing more and more niggers to replace the ones that are either worked to death, died from accidents or killed because of retarded slave catchers or the even more retarded foreman
Plantation owners and fuckwit "muh states rights" retards were inbred retards who deserved all the burnt land they got
DO IT AGAIN UNCLE BILLY

Don't worry. Next time he'll get some mexican to do it instead. No way that'll backfire on us down the road.

Eh, if you were a Union soldier and survived the war, you were actually paid wages and a pension. If you were Confederate, you might get a few cents and cholera.

>Also continues to keep up that beloved racial purity you Jow Forumstards love so much
I'm pretty sure Jow Forums wouldn't consider the Irish as "white" and would turn away any brown haired or brown eyed Germans.

They fought a mostly defensive war, with a greater proportion of officers to enlisted, and were able to use "loaned" slaves in certain campaigns for labor that otherwise would've been done by soldiers. Also McClellan was also one of the most useless men to ever serve in a military capacity. There was no weaker presence on the battlefield than his, having his hat on the field was like loosing 40,000 men, because they'd all be staying behind to be his body guard.

Attached: 1394238601062.jpg (384x314, 25K)

and he would have spared the world the horrors of reconstruction,

Marse Robert was too pure for this world.

>if you survived

Yeah. Hence them using fresh off the boat immigrants as cannon fodder. Confederates that survived actually didn't have it too bad off, assuming most of them went home to places that didn't get burnt down. Poorer soldiers still went home to a farm, their wives, and found out only three kids died that year.

this

Yeah. Imagine if the south fought a guerilla war instead of conventional.

I pretty sure some Confederate soldiers or officers received pensions themselves.
Maybe I'm misremembering though...

they really wanted to keep them niggers away from their triggers

Ah yes, and the South wasn’t tyrannical to 90% of its population who weren’t landed gentry. The South was a shithole and defending it is like defending the corporations today. Slavery hurt everyone in the South except the inbred aristocrats. Most whites in the south were spat upon and treated like slaves by the upper class

What a wholesome man.

F. :_:7

reading killer angels lately and looked up and read the wiki pages for the associated leaders in the book.
good god was robert e lee amazing. in the book as well he even talks to general longstreet about how neither of them really care if they die, because god has already dictated when that is to be. they just stay alive because the confederacy needs them and it's the best way to end the war sooner.

what's sad is how people try to vilify lee when the only thing they know about him is he was a confederate general. he was very optics minded and tried to keep civilian impact in northern territory to a minimum, the opposite of sherman.

he's definitely a reason the confederate army did as well as it did.

varies by state and individual and their own actions.
i cba to find proof of the following claim but fuck it
i remember a couple of museums when i was little saying that what were essentially charities would also organize to offer their vets easier retirement and general welfare since it was really rough in the south after the war.

>t. damnyankee education and the (((((projectionists carpetbaggers))))))

remember that all these fucked up "the south was hell on earth" stories came from people who never had been to the antebellum south, or were cucklords like john brown.

>it would effectively mean the end of everything America was intended to be.

A bunch of wannabe aristocrats bending the law and abusing federal power so they can play king?

enough about the north, and Lincoln

You realize the confederates were common folk fighting for the interest of upper class plantation owners

I’m not good at math. Which number is bigger?

Attached: 6A56CD31-41F3-4E34-A845-ECBBC40E7805.jpg (646x1073, 330K)

You realize the Union soldier were common folk fighting for the interest of upper class politicians

>unified cause
>better generals
>home turf/more to lose

and how did that make them different from the north? I have family from both areas, and have read the diary of my great-great-great-great grandfather who stayed in the south in the 1850's, because how fucked up the north was, and how badly they treated the poor.

he said he saw 5 slaves the entire time he was in tennesee. 5.

only when he had a job laying the bed for the railroad, and went to charleston did he see lots of blacks and slaves, and they were at the cohen, lopez, and wientz auctions. he also said they had trash horses for sale, and charged fees for standing under the awning during the heat of the day.

Those numbers are literally all inaccurate for both sides.
It's believed that the actual death toll was somewhere >700k.
Personally, I think it was even greater than that since so many bodies were just buried en masse in unmarked graves or lost in the mud of the battlefield, and the records for a lot of them were just lost to time or were never properly filed.

>those numbers are in accurate
>trust me, I know
Quality post user. I hope to hear from you again next summer after you’ve taken a US history class.

No actually, upper class politicians wanted the war to end as soon as possible. The Emancipation Proclamation was a brilliant bit of political maneuvering that made the war about something greater. Slavery was a fucking horrible practice and despite the Jow Forums kiddies that inhabit Jow Forums these days would say.

Consume your own head ass first, my man.

>Slavery was a fucking horrible practice
You know what's funny? Tons of modern Confederate supporters will agree with you on that, yet people still hate on them.
Go to any reenactment or Confederate rally, and you will find some of the most accepting people imaginable who have immeasurable pride for the south and Confederacy.
>But the KKK and White League!
Literally despised by the majority of them in this day and age.

Dude, I'm a civil war reeanctor and there's a black guy in another unit who walks around in his uniform with a noose around his neck like a tie. It's just accepted for the horrible practice it was and was moved on from, so now we can joke about it. I am really getting sick of anything vaguely political on this board getting piled on by Jow Forums shitposters. Black people aren't any different from us on average, they were just the victims of shitty socio-econimics events that led them to be ghettoized in inner cities. The retarded ones wallow in it, the smart ones get out of it.

If you don't count deaths from disease the casualty numbers are actually about the same.

>Never forget Lovejoy. Came out with a pistol to defend his printing press and was shot dead for it.

A jew owning a printing press? What a coincidence

Why don't you say his full name for everyone to see?

Elijah Parish Lovejoy

Attached: 220px-Appletons'_Lovejoy_Elijah_Parish.jpg (220x336, 19K)

Paternalistic dipshits on farms literally using federal law to force their policy on other states, planters should've had all their property seized and sold to help all the widows they made. Hundreds of thousands of young men died because they couldn't stand to live in a world where they couldn't play kings and queens on their own little domains.

More whites were lynched than blacks.
Almost all of both were as punishment. For crimes against the community or cattle/livestock crime.

>Dude, I'm a civil war reeanctor
Is it fun? I kind of want to get into it myself...

Pretty much. He had previously served as both a Colonel during the Mexican-American War and as Secretary of Defense in the years leading up to the Civil War, both of which were positions he thrived in.

He had literally no idea they were going to vote him into the presidency because his name wasn't even on the ballot. He's possibly the only instances of a write-in candidate actually being elected.

Because I was typing that as I was cooking and my bacon was getting too crispy. that's the honest answer.

It's fucking awesome. I'm from Seattle so I get to go out to Spokane with all the conservative boys and camp out for a weekend. The actual battles are extremely fun because you get to perform in front of a crowd, and dying is easily the best part. The officers even set up shenanigans in camp. We got in a feud with the Jasper Greens in our camp and ended up having a mini skirmish in the camp.

kek, why are black guys in Confederate units so goddamn based

Fuck yeah it is.

t. also a reenactor

youtube.com/watch?v=rNrPJ7RTkh0

Its fun as fuck, and the woman are all dressed in the most beautiful dresses, ribbons in their hair and anything. Literal waifu material all over the camp. Also you get to shoot real black powder.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jhx9Ivgu68g

>why are black guys in Confederate units so goddamn based

Because they HAVE to have a sense of humor and historical interest to be there. There was also a Native guy who had a scalp on his rifle strap. My captain wouldnt tell me if it was real when I asked.

>break off from union because rich fucks want to keep their ways of making money and manipulate the poor populace that it’s for their rights be trampled on
Fuck off I will never forgive the confederates for what they did to Sam Houston

Attached: A6C3A409-02C3-48EC-AC0B-BD6595469053.jpg (960x960, 152K)

>have a mock trial in camp for the skirmish we had with the Jaspers
>since I was involved I end up getting lined up with 5 other guys
>without warning, the Colonel overseeing the trial comes out and fans his revolver across all of us
> we all go down, I scream like a girl holding my stomach before twitching a few times, ded.
>realize later that I did it right in front of a group of tourists watching, probably a foot away
>kids looked terrified.

Fucking fun stuff

Attached: 5765765843332.png (1119x873, 128K)

Abraham Lincoln once asked General Winfield Scott: "Why is it that you were once able to take Mexico City in three months with five thousand men, and we've been unable to take Richmond with one hundred thousand men?"
"I will tell you." Said General Scott, "The men who took us into Mexico City are the same men who are keeping us out of Richmond."

Imagine being this retarded

The proper format here is to greentext what I said that was retarded, you fucking transplant.

They didn't.

They died of southern fever, southern steel and shot
I wish there was three million instead of what we got

Brown was basically a 19th version of a mass shooter.

Lmao no wonder he surrendered

Yankees were shitty marksmen. It's literally why the NRA was founded.

>Dude, I'm a civil war reeanctor and there's a black guy in another unit who walks around in his uniform with a noose around his neck like a tie.

Attached: pickett_gb.png (207x239, 88K)

For a certain definition of fun. It's got a pretty decent monetary investment until you get the kit you want (and you'll probably have multiple kits to reenact different things), and being into rustic camping will definitely help.