If laser weapons become practical enough to deploy at most military bases will subterranean torpedoes be a viable...

If laser weapons become practical enough to deploy at most military bases will subterranean torpedoes be a viable method of attack?

Attached: Titan_CC2_Cine1.jpg (2560x1920, 769K)

The sky offers less resistance.

But what would me electric bill look like charging my electric car, iphone, and laser rifle?

>if
when, desu.
When.

why deploy subterranean torpedos when you can deploy subterranean APCs full of engineers

>not subterranean M.A.D. tanks

The torpedoes destroy the defense so that the engineers go in with minimal resistance.

Projectiles will diverge into two schools of thinking: inert mass that can't be deflected by laser ablation and projectiles that mitigate laser ablation/thermal disruption.

Missiles will undergo radical shifts in design philosophy as people grapple with the idea that no stage of flight is any less vulnerable than another to a weapon that moves at the speed of light with perfect accuracy. You'll likely see a major push to swarm/saturation methodology and the return of really weird targeting methods (mutant SACLOS?) which don't require optical sensors that can be blinded.

Bro the ground is already paved, they can't get through

That's what the torpedoes are for!

This is really why Elon Musk started the boring company

What if the enemy develops underground lasers to destroy the torpedoes?

Yeah.

>subterranean apc warfare
>underground depth charges

Star wars/trek/gaymes have conditioned us that laser weapons act like normal guns but with cool sounds and light show. Light is instantaneous. This means that with a laser weapon, if you see it, you instakill it. No lag, no lead, no drop. Everyone will suddenly have sniper-tier hit/kill rate. You can even easily shoot down jets easily. Oh, a tank? Just use my handy dandy laser gun to lop of the barrel. Oh, a missile? How quaint. Laser weapons will totally change war.

>Talks about lazers
>Shows Titan Armored Assault walkers with Railguns
What could they have meant by this? *Big Thonk*

>light is instantaneous
on a scale from one to light speed you are retarded

>Titan Armored Assault walkers with Railguns
The titans don't use railguns.

In planetary scale he's right in practical discussion, light can go the equivalent of around the world 7x in 1 second

>bust out my trusty mirror
>entire lazer battalion is defeat

Until it hits something

Too many ways of countering lasers. Smoke, dust, ablative armor. etc.

Use near ground level is the worst because it causes updrafts that pull up even more dust. Even if the ground is wet you end up with lots of steam.

>light can go the equivalent of around the world 7x in 1 second
that’s still not instantaneous and light doesn’t curve like that

Why do video game railguns usually act like an actual laser would

I never said it could curve, just that it goes the equivalent distance. and for that planetary scale, shooting at a target even 30km away, the time between firing and impact would be imperceptible. It's not any more instantaneous than a flashlight, but there isnt anything on the planet thats going to see the delay between it turning on and light bouncing back. So for small arms purposes it is for practical application. You dont need to lead the target.

>mutant SACLOS
Go on

Now I want the problem solver image edited to him holding a hand mirror

Mostly because the muzzle velocity is so high that they might as well be lasers.

>he doesn't know