Can we have an optics thread?

Can we have an optics thread?

What's your philosophy on optics for ARs and similiar? Red dots, magnified, LPVO? What's the balance of price, features, and weight you go for?

I've been an ACOG guy for a while. I like to put TA01s and offset backup sights on my rifles. I don't see the point of putting more than 4x magnification on a 16" 5.56 rifle, and I've taken ACOGs to 400 yards and hunted with them successfully. I'm not opposed to LPVOs, but I've had a history of Steiner and Burris 1-4x scopes breaking on me.

For everything else, I like a 3-9x. I don't do super long range shooting and the smallest thing I shoot at are squirrels, so 9x magnification does me good. They're also usually pretty inexpensive; I've been using $200 Vortex 3-9 scopes for a long time with great success.

Never been able to justify getting a red dot, myself. You're giving up magnification and a BDC for better close range target acquisition, and I'm pretty good at close range with my ACOG or my offset sights.

Attached: TA31F-G_03.jpg (3158x2106, 313K)

As a city person, I am better served by going the RDS route over magnified or LPVO, although I do have a 1-6 setup.

I like the dot because it has unlimited eye relief and I can still aim my gun at night properly, although I guess I can't see what I'm shooting LOL. Maybe I made the wrong choice, but having a nice dot is still fine. It's a holosun 510c btw pretty good value I think.

>Can we have an optics thread?
Please.
I'm looking for a good quality lpvo. I thought I wanted a 1-6 or 1-8 but after reading about how bad the eyebox is and how unforgiving they are I'm thinking about a 1-4x
So I'm trying to decide between the steiner p4xi 1-4 or a trijicon accupower or something similar.
Is it true that with FFP the scope will act similar to a reddot at 1x with no paralax?
I was considering buying used but I don't know how to verify if something is a fake chinese knockoff.

I absolutely loved my Triji Accupower 1-4x. Would buy again in a heartbeat. Image quality and eyebox at 1x were superb and 4x was lretty good too.Definitely feels like it was made to shoot at close range on 1x

>I'm not opposed to LPVOs, but I've had a history of Steiner and Burris 1-4x scopes breaking on me.
I didn't read the OP before posting I was considering an acog but it sounds like it would be such a pain in the ass to use with the terrible eye relief, and they arn't cheap. I also have nowhere to go to test one out to see if I'd like it.

I was actually leaning towards the accupower because of the reticle choices. Why did you get rid of it?
I've been having fun with an aimpoint pro out to about 165 yards but I'd like to go further and get experience using something with magnification, I've never owned a scope before.

Is it just me or are ACOG reticles tiny as fuck? Every one I've looked through, I'm amazed at how small they are and that people can differentiate the range lines.

Speaking from a SHTF perspective, most of the sightlines around me are under 100 yards and I live in the forest anyway, but I still think a magnified optic offers more than it takes away.

I haven't heard anything bad about Holosun RDS. Guy at the range let me play with his, it was pretty nice.
>still aim my gun at night properly
I mean, my ACOGs have tritium illumination. My Steiner, Burris, and Strike Eagle (only LPVO I've had that didn't break on me btw) all have battery illumination.

ACOG does have shit eye relief, but you get what you pay for with it. It's certainly easier to use than my LPVOs.

It seems like that, but they feel and work a lot better in use.

I cruise the EE and pickup used aimpoints and acogs when they come up cheap. The best deals are the heavily worn or used ones, which work 100% but scare the aesthetic safe queen buyers away.
Sometimes good deals will come up that I can't pass, and I'll even have an aimpoint just sitting off to the side without a rifle.
Whenever I want to sell one because I don't quite agree with the model or reticle, I'm usually able to get my money back, if not more than what I originally paid.
I also have a few LPVOs, but they aren't as ubiquitous as the acogs and aimpoints.

It came down to the fact that I had it on a heavy barrel 18" rifle, and it just wasnt enough mag to justify the weight and bulk of the rifle. Now that I've moved on to a shorter setup, I would love to have it back.

Attached: vorzramg3.jpg (450x450, 17K)

The Chevrons are supposed to be that size because the horizontal length of the chevron reticle is the size of an Ivan E Silhouette at 300 meters. People shit on the chevrons but after personally owning the crosshair version I wish I would've just stuck with the chevrons. A chevron reticle for quick acquisition will definitely suit a 4x32 optic better than crosshairs.

word
ACOG UBER ALLES

Hell yeah brother. I can't reiterate enough guys, get the chevron reticle. Don't fuck around and try to be a gaylord with other shit like me. And get an ACOG. Save your money if you need to and buy that fucking ACOG.

I kind of like the idea of a fixed magnified and red dot optic on a QD, just switch them out. LVPOs, even 1-4s, weigh a fuck ton and you can't distribute all the weight to the main back end, either. Has to have some weight in the centerline of the rifle. Gonna wait for T1 Micros to start setting price wise and buy one, experiment.
Shit eye relief isn't that bad once you get used to it. I have a TA31 back mounted parallel to the rear of my charging handle, don't have any problems with it, neither does anyone else once you teach them to lean in if they don't already know. Really not anything special vs a traditional rifle scope.

Attached: sleepy cat.png (533x534, 398K)

There's a reason the army and marines have a million of them.

I prefer Browe over the acog desu. The light sensor that adjusts the reticle brightness is magical.

EE is great.
Scooped up my ta31 from there for 500$
If u dont play fashion guns and r ok with a rough finish there are some insane deals to be had.

>LVPOs, even 1-4s, weigh a fuck ton
That's my main issue with them. ACOG + mount is 13.9oz. 1-4x LPVOs + mount run from 20oz up.

What is EE?

On my ARs, I run either Eotech EXPS3-4 with G33.STS 3x or Kahles K16i.

>$500
I bet it has dead tritium and beat to shit. Why bother when new ones are 850?

whats a good 1-6 or 1-8 scope for .308

Like I said above, the only LPVO I've owned that hasn't broken is a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x. It's heavy as shit, but it keeps working.

Because the tritium works just fine, and the optic is 100% functional. The half life of tritium is 12.3 years. Do you even know how tritium works?
Because when if i ever go to sell it i know it fetches ~600 regularly, putting me up 100$. Whereas a good condition acog will move at around ~700, putting you down 150$.

always state your budget and purpose

Man I literally ordered a 1200$ 1-6 today. Still have that acog itch tho

EE?

Post acog

usable for 5 years
good news is it's cheap to replace

Equipment Exchange.

If your area mostly only presents shorter ranges the TA31H (the 4x acog with a horseshoe reticule) is much larger and more suited. Its a lot easier to pick up that red horseshoe quickly at short range than the chevrons. Just know the dot in the middle is a little less precise for longer range shots that the point of a chevron. I love my ta31h, its been great and I don't even feel the need for an rmr. Buds has them for under 1k$ too which is pretty good for an acog.

The dot in the center is not what you're supposed to be using for longer range shots. That's why there are ranging marks.

I’ve got a model 70 supergrade in 7mm-08 arriving at my ffl tomorrow but I don’t know what optic to throw on it. What should I get for the northeast under or around 400 USD? I can spend more if it’s worth it but I’d like to stay around that price

Shit didn’t mean to reply

All I want is a good optic that doesn’t use batteries; what are my options

a scope

I like a good BDC, which is why I shill primary arms ACSS.

Does it work well for .308, too? I've been looking for a good replacement for my Burris MTAC, and had pretty much settled on a 1-6 Accupoint, but after seeing the ACSS reticle I'm considering a silver or platinum series PA scope.

Acog

I bought the 6x primary arms magnifier to put behind my cheapo holosun idk if its the cheap optics or the amount of magnification but I really do not like it.

The ffp primary arms raptor however is really really awesome.

Yeah, I put my raptor 1-6 on my mdr when I still had it and it worked like a dream, it also survived 500+ rounds of harsh mdr recoil.

I might get that, then. I like Trijicon, but I'm not so hot on the idea of spending $1,400 on a scope that doesn't have a BDC like I want. If they would just put the Acog reticles on...

I thought about this a lot while making out my rifle builds. I came to the conclusion that I would want 1 11.5 AR for CQB/urban and 1 16inch AR for recce/rural purposes. So for the CQB one I would have a red dot + magnifier so a eotech exps g33 combo. Then for the recce rural one I would have LVPO like a vortex razor 1-6x.

I have recently built a more shtf car rifle. I built this thing to be compact and foldable. 10.5 inch, law tactical folder, I may put a mini acog on this as this is the goto gun for the apocalypse and require no logistics. Still need to find a good AA/AAA light instead of cr123 for it though

>reticule
Trip on, wuggy.

>500 rounds
Wowo!!! Breddy good optics!!

>>using optics for anything under 100yds

Attached: 1529054320284.png (574x413, 476K)

The glass is pretty good, and for the price and features I dont think there is a better value. I do need to pick up a lightweight QD mount though, I dont really like 45 degree irons.

You

Attached: 1550058660407.gif (360x270, 1.82M)

Let's see pics

>under 100 yards and I live in the forest anyway, but I still think a magnified optic offers more than it takes away
same, on the side of a mountain, the small threat of someone taking mountain to mountain shots in the winter is there but dense tree cover from evergreens keeps any long range shots out of the picture. i carry binos for pid and a rds for shooting.

ACOG

I have 2 main ARs
One has a ACOG 3x
the other an EOTech x/ g33 magnifier

Happy with both.

I'm not going to take my ACOG off everytime I decided to shoot closer you fucking goofwad

Oh wow it survived 500 rounds of an intermediate cartridge
ELCAN AND ACOG BTFO

>308 is intermediate

Go to bed 1950s US Army Ordinance Board.

Post guns

By aim my gun at night I meant as an advantage over irons.

How much could I get an acog for on there?

I just came up on an acog for a good deal. I would like to build an ar around the acog. What would you recommend? I have a bushmaster upper and lower as my starting point.

I've actually been shot at by someone on the next mountain. Granted, it wasn't on purpose , but I was carrying an AR at the time and my first instinct was to drop behind my car and return fire kek. They would have shit if their shitty .22 was returned by 77gr OTM.

I really like an EOTech / magnifier combo, but again, an ACOG is so much lighter.

Complete upper/ lower? What barrel length? What ACOG? If you already have a complete rifle, just put the ACOG on that. If you have stripped receivers, I recommend 16" barrel, good trigger, and free float handguard. Everything else is personal preference.

Problem with LPVOs is that the markets are really volatile. One day your scope is in vogue, and you can get basically all your money out of it when you resell. A month later, the zeitgiest backflips and no one wants the scope anymore. God forbid a new model gets announced or a big sale/price drop happens, then your scope goes down hundreds of dollars overnight. I wonder what's going to happen once dual focal plane becomes mainstream.
On the other hand, an acog is an acog, and an aimpoint is an aimpoint.

I don't understand thinking about resale value when you buy something like this. It's not a car or a house. Buy something quality and use it until it breaks. If it doesn't break, just keep using it.

Once you're neck deep into funs the 2nd hand market starts to matter.

For purchasing, sure. I've only ever sold gear that didn't work for me or that kind of sucked. Like my Steiner p4xi that broke. I had it repaired and sold it.

from buying/selling/trading my funs have grown to about 25k worth of stuff on the conservative end with relatively little cash input. Without buying/selling/trading there's no way I could afford or find certain things I currently own.

Are chink shit acog clones any good?

I currently have a Viper 2-10x32mm on my SPR/cheaper plinking gun, but I also have an EXPS2-0 on my AR pistol, though I've been tempted to go with a lower powered ACOG.

Both Primary Arms and Vortex make good stuff. I will say I don't have personal experience with their ACOG clones, but I've heard good things and their other stuff is good.

Not sure I'd go magnified on a pistol, unless maybe it was EXPS and magnifier. That is, unless your gun is like a 12" (((pistol))). Then a 3x ACOG would work well.

I have a very similar train of thought. However, wouldn't you say a magnifier and EoTech combo is unideal? It has practically the same cost and weight as a quality 1-6x LPVO, with the disadvantages of requiring batteries and having inferior eye-relief and eyebox. The EoTech is definitely better at shooting from awkward positions, but an LPVO with a massive FoV like the K16i is just as fast in most close-quarters situations. Plus you will have superior light transmissions for low-light situations and an etched reticle for battery-free daylight shooting. I have toyed around with the thought of having a QD magnifier you put on or off depending on the situation, but I don't know how practical that is.

>with the disadvantages of requiring batteries and having inferior eye-relief and eyebox
Magnifiers have worse eye relief and eyebox than the average LPVO?
I've never used one, I always assumed it would be much more forgiving. Please explain.

ACOGs are nice. You can hit a stationary man sized at 500m without much effort.

The MRO is a piece of shit however. The thing holds a zero worse than 60 dollar Chinese shit.

EO Techs are nice until you fall into a river while on a patrol and it stops working. Also, the last one I had issued to me stopped working after a year or heavy use.

The Sig Romeo series is surprisingly a good budget option. I have the $150 dollar on my patrol rifle and it works great.

Good optic to slap on a 22lr plinkster up too 100y? I have spare 3.5 acog and a 510c on the way. Might just put mbus on it to keep it light for the younger family members.

I went with an eotech and next check will grab a magnifier. I think the reticle is faster and more precise than red dots. I keep a cruiser ready 870 for home defense so the always-on feature is of less importance to me.

I live inawoods so shooting at distance is unlikely

Attached: EXPS3_left.jpg (944x916, 244K)

i have nothing to contribute here except to point out that acogs are unbelievably stupid looking

I know I’m going to be called a poorfag but I love my holosun HS503GU. The Eotech style reticle is excellent for fast target acquisition. I also have the HM3X magnifier for it which is excellent.

eotech is for faggots

Haven't had it super long but it seems great for the price. Been holding zero fine and all the testing seems like it holds up well.

Attached: 71bwu1-L5TL._SX425_.jpg (425x480, 24K)

TA31f master race reporting in, heed this mans word that acog is the best in the biz.

it's a holosun with slightly better chink QC and a MUCH bigger price tag

>a lower powered ACOG
Other than the usual acog issues with blooming/too weak tritium shooting from dark areas into bright areas the 1.5x acogs seem like a cool idea and really light, like they would work perfectly on a carry handle.
I've only ever used the 4x though.

Attached: ta44_scopeview1.jpg (1000x667, 139K)

I like me my ACOG
4x is nice enough for general purpose shooty stuff and usually gets the job done.

Attached: Capture.png (676x918, 1.08M)

What do I put on a vector?

what’s the best budget acog for a poorfag new to shooting?

i own a leupold vx-6 as a 1-6 vpo and through the 1-4 range the eyebox is the same as my friends accupower 1-4, it also goes to 6. large eyebox and enormous fov at low mag

Ta31f

Doesnt make any sense with eotech xps2 is literally 20 bucks more

EoTech is the best through a magnifier - this is not a question. Good choice.

This If you want even cheaper, Vortex and Holosun have ACOG clones that work well.

>better warranty
>similar but arguably improved Doughnut of Death reticle
>better battery life
>likely more durable than an Eotech
>similar size and weight
>also US made
>rechargeable option, sure you can put rechargeable batteries in the Eotech, but the UH-1 has a micro usb port for this

>eokek
>ever

Attached: thermo durifto.png (960x540, 675K)

>eotech is for faggots
tell me more, but speak softly

The Vortex is great, but the one thing you can get with EOkek that the Razor doesn't have is a BDC. Personally, I don't have a use for an optic without a BDC.

So my buddy got a 26 dollar "dude it's not airsoft" pinty red dot for his ar. Is there any hope for him?

No. Mercy kill him in his sleep and put a proper optic on his rifle.

Anyone have experience with the accupoint 1-4x. Is it garbage at close range? Relatively new to the world of ars - plan to mostly use the build for gun games

Attached: images (1).jpg (275x183, 9K)

No experience with that optic in particular, but similar quality 1-4x optics are very good at 1x at close range.

Here's a pic of the gat with a cat. B4 I had put the barrel on

Anyone have experience with the vortex spitfire 1x? I'm leaning towards that or maybe an lpvo.

Only a tiny bit. The reticle is really bright, and 1x is almost perfect. Really, it's weakness is going to be taking shots at longer ranges (over 300yds or so).