Krag-Jorgensen

Anyone own one of these? I’ve been really wanting to get one, wondering if they’re fun to shoot and worth buying.

Attached: 232FD858-4741-4778-B2DF-D67C01DDBA0F.jpg (600x300, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forgottenweapons.com/category/rifles/bolt-action/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yah, I really like mine, what do you want to know?

Mines 30-40 krag it's fine for deer, I find it handy enough a rifle. You may want to try /msg/ it's kinda an odd ball and only history geeks own them at this point.

>wondering if they’re fun to shoot and worth buying.
Yes and yes.

Attached: 1896_Krag_Sporter_10-31-2018_C_1600.jpg (1600x1080, 1.67M)

Really just what I’m getting into by buying one, are they difficult to find, fair price for one in good condition,issues or nuances they have, should I try looking for a specific model etc.

>are they difficult to find,
US models in .30 Army are easiest to find, then Norwegian in 6.5x55mm Mauser and finally Danish in 8x58mmR.
>fair price for one in good condition,
Depends on the model and nation of origin. The prices increase for rarity, and carbines are more expensive than the infantry models. The cheapest will be US long rifles, which you can expect to pay around $700-1000 for.
>issues or nuances they have, should I try looking for a specific model etc.
Single primary locking surface means they can suffer from receiver stretch and bolt setback which leads to increased headspace, especially considering that most are at least a century old. Something that can be pretty simply checked with a headspace gauge.

Attached: Boer_with_Steyr_M1894_Krag.jpg (1594x1994, 278K)

I have one of the last produced and refurbished ones that may have been used in ww1 but was still in armory use until after the war into the 20s

Would it be worth it to try to find one that was used in WW1

There weren't any Krags used in combat in WW1. US Krags were used for training duty to free up 1903s for the Expeditionary Force; Norway and Denmark were neutrals.

US Krags fought the Spanish-American War, the Philippine-American War, and the Boxer Rebellion.

Norwegian and Danish Krags fought the Germans in WW2.

Attached: I_Company_9th_Infantry_Regiment_US_Army_Peking_China_1900_Boxer_Rebellion.jpg (1600x1095, 342K)

I had a Norwegian Frankenkrag a few years back, it was alright. Made the switch to a Sauer though - Not being limited to recruit loads of 6,5x55 was too tempting. I don't know what you're looking for, but if it's something other than a collector piece or a Sunday shooter, the Krag probably isn't it.

I got mine for free from a friendly boomer

Attached: 8F833CDB-BDA9-4447-985F-43EE614A2567.jpg (1024x768, 187K)

Thanks for clarifying, I’ve never owned a rifle that old, except for some 38-55 Marlin passed down from my granddad, really old school lever action

Engineers were issued them in WW1

Lucky as fuck dude

I inherited mine from my Great g\Grandfather. It was his service rifle. I will try to find a photo.

>Engineers were issued them in WW1
One Engineer battalion MAY have brought its Krags from the US to England, but there is zero evidence of them in France.

Attached: krag_clips.gif (422x317, 304K)

My great grandfather was sent to Europe in WWI with a Krag, don't know if he went to France, my father has the rifle, it's in a leather scabbard.
He says the magazine won't feed properly anymore so when we've shot it we put a cartridge directly into the chamber.

>He says the magazine won't feed properly anymore so when we've shot it we put a cartridge directly into the chamber.
Have you tried turning the magazine on again? Switch on the left side rear of the receiver just to the left of the knob on the cocking piece of the bolt.

Attached: 4-krags-detail-0091.jpg (1800x1234, 310K)

I've got a Norwegian M1894 in 6.5x55. Original state. It's a long gun all right. Shoots well, hardly any recoil and smooth mechanism. I reload for it as ammo is expensive. Iron sights only; it'd take a weapon smith some work to make fittings for a scope and that would unfortunately ruin it as a collectible.

Incidentally, the Germans took the Krags from occupied Denmark and Norway and reissued them to second line troops. The Krag factory in Norway was kept going and so was the ammo factory. So you could find a Krag with German stamps, but be aware that quality on this was affected by sabotage by the workers.

Heh, I know it *siiip*

Attached: German_Kreigsmarine_sailors_with_captured_Norwegian_M1894_Krag-Jorgensen_rifles.jpg (779x553, 36K)

What are some other old unique rifles that are like the Krag, I’ve always been interested in guns like it. I’ve been thinking about getting a Sharps too

forgottenweapons.com/category/rifles/bolt-action/

Go nuts.

Attached: American_soldiers_guard_Spanish_prisoners_after_the_Battle_of_Santiago-de-Cuba.jpg (1214x800, 488K)

I'd say Mannlichers wold be an obvious candidate if you was steering away from the more obvious Mausers and derivatives.

I own one made in 1898. I've never shot it, mainly because I haven't had much luck getting ammo for it.

Me too. Are you going to try and re-constitute the stock?

Attached: D96BC051-B59D-4400-8CCE-B6CEAB3CE0F8.jpg (2551x1356, 1.09M)

never mind. yours looks like a replacement stock

I own one. It's bitchin

Attached: IMG_20190521_123307988.jpg (3034x567, 816K)