EDC for my 70yo mom

Hello gentlemen.

My mom is getting older and I'm moving away and I want her to have something to defend herself with. I've taken her to the range and taught her to shoot my AR, a Ruger MkIII, and a 1911 in 45ACP. She handled the rifle okay for a total beginner, and was a little shaky with the 45 but hit all black. She liked shooting the MkIII so much I gave it to her.

But the MkIII is a bitch and a half to take down and clean and I'm sure she would never do it. I want to get her something simpler, easier to clean, and at least marginally effective as a nightstand or purse gun. She's only comfortable with 22lr right now.

I'm leaning towards LCR because it's bleeding obvious how to clean it, has 8 shots, misfires can be cycled past, and it's small.

The LCP is 380, which I'm not sure she would be comfortable with, but it's a lot more reliable. Downside is it's more complicated than a revolved where you can see everything.

What would you do lads? Recommendations welcome. Oh and no this is not a straw purchase you dumb ATF man, I'm giving her the money for whatever she chooses as a thank you for taking care of me this past year.

Attached: 22lr__lcp_vs_lcr.jpg (1697x597, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-380-shield-ez-0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Between those two the LCR because they require less maintenance and have a simpler manual of arms. If she actually plans on practicing frequently and performing regular maintenance then go with a semi auto.

Also the LCP is definitely not more reliable

Neither of those guns are pleasant to shoot, she would likely shy away from both of them. Have you considered .22 revolvers? Or possibly a full size .38 like a Model 10 if she's not carrying it?

You have probably already doomed her by giving her the MkIII. In moments of panic and stress, people always fall back to their most comfortable/familiar habits. That means that if she likes the MkIII that much, it will be all she ever gets comfortable with most likely without someone there to push her. It's going to be what she goes for if shit goes down and honestly, it's probably going to get her killed or hurt. With great shot placement a 22 can be lethal, but with only 10 shots of it and a shaky/untrained shooter it's not likely to stop the threat.
If you can, I would recommend the LCR but in .327 FedMag instead. The recoil will be much easier to handle than even defensive .38 but will bump her up to 6 rounds while maintaining the ability to conceal the gun as needed.

just have her cc the mkIII in a purse.

read his post a little more carefully

My grandmother always carried a baby browning in her handbag. But she was really familiar with guns. She was the one to learn me to shoot.

Smith and Wesson M&P .380 Shield EZ
Racking the slide has been a problem for every woman I've ever taken shooting, including my own mother. The mechanism on the EZ shield helps a lot.

Smith and Wesson EZ

Shield EZ 380 and load it with fiochii XTP.
Done.

>She liked shooting the MkIII so much I gave it to her.
>But the MkIII is a bitch and a half to take down and clean
No shit, that's why you should have bought her a MkIV instead.

>Oh and no this is not a straw purchase you dumb ATF man, I'm giving her the money for whatever she chooses as a thank you for taking care of me this past year.
Are you a literal retard? It's perfectly legal to buy guns and give them to people.

Attached: gifts arent straw purchases.png (770x302, 78K)

>going to get her killed or hurt.
NOOOO. Tha 327 FedMag LCR sounds like a good choice.

I'll check it out. I started by looking at Bersas. They're very safe, but maybe a bit chunky. The attraction of the LCP to me is it's small and easy to keep clean. But like other user said yeah I guess they don't go fully into battery sometimes.

No. The MkIII is a range toy, nothing more. That's why I'm not comfortable leaving her with just that.

>Are you a literal retard?
...Maybe.

walther p22

Get her the revolver. Women don't need subcompact guns since they have purses and she sounds disinclined to clean it anyways.

22 j frame with a trigger job

Load it with good ammo

I know it's not ideal but I think the make an lcr in .22 mag. It would he light and easy to handle. .22 mag recoil is only a little sharper than regular .22.

I have considered getting one for my gf becuase she is totally unwilling to deal with recoil. But I keep deciding that if she cant be bothered to learn to deal with minor recoil she isnt ready to use a gun responsibly.

>she is totally unwilling to deal with recoil
Imagine being with someone who you have this little influence over. Does she not trust you that recoil is something you get over quickly with training?

The LCR, simpler because she doesn't have to fuck with a safety or worry about a round being chambered or not. Better for doesn'tshootguns people.
A big consideration is that she won't have to rack a slide at all, to chamber or clear a jam. This is a big deal for old people because they get arthritis and many elderly have difficulty physically pulling back the slide.
Revolvers entirely solve this issue, though a Beretta Tomcat or something with a tilting barrel is also kind of a solution if you ignore the clearing jams part.

Attached: 1536422522828.png (368x368, 78K)

Beretta 86

fits nicely in a purse

Attached: 105505-medium1.jpg (1200x800, 340K)

thanks for the recs lads. gonna go to the range this weekend and see if they have some of these pistols for rent. leaning LCR and 32s right now, but we'll see. i really don't trust 22lr as a defensive round.

could look at 25 acp

in what, a raven arms? a flip open beretta? nah.

smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-380-shield-ez-0

hickok45 had two FTFs on camera with the EZ. yikes.

This is the true Chad answer

kel tec p 11. Small , light, nice safety feature for purse etc and no edges to catch. One major con for an elder is the heavy trigger.

Light primer strikes or bad ammo?

probably a bad magazine spring, or a factory new recoil spring not broken in yet. both rounds were caught sticking out of the frame, nose-down in the slide halfway closed.

Get a Mark IV, one button takedown.
Takes more time setting it down on a table then taking it apart

take yer mum to the $100 intro class at local gun range - she can try shooting many different guns

otherwise watch out for recoil

look at s&w ez 380 - seriously it was designed for oldsters with hand problems

Have social interactions

God do not get your mother an LCP to carry. .380 has way too much recoil in a light frame like that and it's just plain not enjoyable to practice with. Mine also has some feeding issues, like many claim they do until everything polishes out in a few hundred very unfun rounds. It's also very easy to cause a FTF via lipwristing which is another thing a new shooter will be prone to.

>was a little shaky with the 45 but hit all black.
I see what you did there, user

Jesus move her into a halfway decent neighborhood with friends and nice neighbors so she doesn’t have to think about this shit. Fucking retard.

Just a heads up I purchased a LCP a few days ago and it is a lemon I'm having to send into Ruger. Has serious extraction issues. I've owned an LCP before and it was great, it was traded so I decided to get another. The extractor was basically not grabbing the casing enough to pull them out of the chamber, this was still happening after attempting 250+ rounds break in, a thorough cleaning. I know occasionally you do get lemons but it sucks when it's you that gets one, and why you should always shoot a weapon before you carry it

A Lercker, of course.

Attached: LerckerPrototype02.jpg (1072x712, 136K)

Mine has been giving me the exact same issue. I was dubious that limpwristing was the cause because I shoot a lot and never get such frequent malfunctions on other handguns. It's also leaving these scraping marks on spent brass. I don't know why it's having issues.

Attached: brass scratch.jpg (3991x2993, 2.9M)

>this is not a straw purchase you dumb ATF man
You dumb civilian, you're allowed to purchase firearms as gifts.

Get a .32acp like a Tomcat so you don't even have to rack the slide.

It's legal to give a firearm to a family member.

My 65 yearold mother carrys a Colt in .380 (forget the model, sorry).
But if she's only comfortable with a .22, then keep her in a .22.
.22 mag revolvers are cheap and reliable and have no more kick than a .22lr.

Those marks are not good.
Load a round and eject without firing to narrow down when it's happening.

The Shield EZ and Glock 43X/48 are worth looking into

It's legal to give a gun to literally anyone who's not a prohibited person.

Tomcat. Very nice gun but no extractor. What is the chance that it could be finiky with ammo. CCW? No thanks. .32? Maybe a Kel-tec .32? Closer to the .22 mom is comfy with in recoil terms, yet more punch than a .22.

>scraping Mark's
user you replied to here. Same I'm pretty sure the extractors are warped or faulty. Who knows how many they released like that. Sad desu, they sent me a free shipping label but it's still a pain in the ass

Pocket guns in general are notoriously finicky with ammo. Omitting the extractor has nothing to do with it.

And it's not a real problem anyway -- just find out what ammo it likes, and buy that ammo.

>Pocket guns in general are notoriously finicky with ammo
This, which is why I believe if you MUST pocket carry you should do it with a revolver.

But you should just carry IWB.

third vote the EZ, its literally made for woman and anyone who struggles wracking a slide. It feels like a toy. if sh wants a revolver the an sp101 ruger in ,327 federal mag

Attached: ruger sp101.jpg (1000x1000, 73K)

For a 70 year old mom, I would give her a full size pistol in a light caliber. Shield EZ or shit... the Ruger Mark IV.

The LCR and LCP are both terrible choices.

>The LCR and LCP are both terrible choices
She's not going to be accurate with them and they are not fun to practice with. She could be deadly accurate and able to deal with recoil on a steel frame .22 pistol. A 70 year old woman is not going to handle those tiny guns worth a shit.

Wrong. I have plenty of pocket pistols and only shit steel case has ever been a problem. I also have an extractorless copy of that tomcat in 22 and it absolutely makes a difference.

> Omitting the extractor has nothing to do with it.
What i omitted from my reply was:
Rack that slide on a ftf with a tomcat.... What you can't? Gotta pop the barrel open and fiddle fuck to get the round out of the chamber.

>You have to use the correct manual of arms for the gun you're shooting
No fucking shit.

LCPII is not so horrible trigger, but pull strength is required to rack the slide.