I have a question for Jow Forums's primitive mad scientists

I have a question for Jow Forums's primitive mad scientists.

What kind of ballistics and energy transfer can the typical man produce using a sling and lets say a 1/2 pound stone? What weight would produce optimal effects? Are slings actually lethal with anything other than a headshot (cracked ribs, internal bleeding?). This obviously takes alot of skill but seems like the buy in is pretty low, literally string, pouch, rocks.

Attached: fa78404d29feb8a2446ef1a1ab050f94.jpeg.jpg (667x500, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20111015224952/http://slinging.org/index.php?page=the-sling-in-medieval-europe---chris-harrison
youtu.be/gXiUDJRgiUc?t=9
youtu.be/sGSsbCPeocU
youtube.com/watch?v=lU87f5o8vMg
youtu.be/IHP-aoQUhlY?t=239
twitter.com/AnonBabble

do an internet search yes ?

i'm confident several websites exist on this very topic !

An average sling bullet or sling stone is way less than half a pound.

Anyways it'll fuck you up to 100 yards or so, but past 30 yards you're aiming at a formation, not a man.

Slings were one of the only weapons Conquistadors saw as an actual threat in the new world. Arrows would bounce off their armor, spears and atlatls were likewise useless. Slings would kill you. Roman authors indicated the same thing, stating that arrows would not penetrate their armor, but slings could kill armored soldiers. Greeks noted the same.
Slings have longer range than bows. It'll fuck you up to 400 yards.

Everything I see when I look up using slings is some anti-gun "nothin personnel" fag who is just butthurt that his autism/sex offender status bars him from owning a firearm.

Any data on what kind of wounds were so devestating for them? Was it blunt force head trauma or was that shit actually puncturing their armor?

>Everything I see

that's because you are the poopy head that's been flooding the 4m with these dufus posts

internet search for sling ballistics how to use a sling all return dozens of websites with that info

>This obviously takes alot of skill but seems like the buy in is pretty low, literally string, pouch, rocks
That's one of the main advantages to the sling. The issue is the skill requirement. They're pretty difficult to use effectively.
>weight
That varies massively. Roman lead sling stones hover around an ounce or so. Some that have been found are reportedly around a pound.
Blunt force trauma. It won't actually penetrate the armor, just fuck you up anyway.

>how dare you discuss weapons
>go somewhere else to discuss weapons
Fuck off retard

the sling didn't kill Goliath. He was killed by a sword after the sling hit knocked him down.

If you have nothing to contribute then fuck off. It's a discussion board not a "only things I can't find on google" board.

I can't fucking wait for summer to be over

Semantics. The sling disabled him so he could be killed by a sword.

>1 ounce high velocity lead stones
Ban high capacity pouches! Why do you NEED 30 stones?! Are you afraid you can't fight a barbarian like a man???

That's not semantics at all though.

basically, plate and chain armor is great at blocking anything that cuts or splits to deal damage, but is shit at blocking any kind of pure impact force. The metal doesn't compress, so the force just gets transferred through with minimal loss in energy (same reason why sonar pings and whale song can travel so far. water doesn't compress so energy loss is minimal).

This means nearly the full force of that stone hitting you at very fast speeds goes through your armor, probably through your clothes, through your skin, and into your meat sack organs.

Which really don't like being subjected to sudden force.Blow to the head can cause lethal concussions and unconsciousness, and sufficient damage to the torso can result in organ rupture

Big nose chief say high capacity stone pouch bad. But big nose chief have many Unga with big stone pouch. I think big nose chief should get rid of stone pouch first.

Gonna be honest with you, I realized that after I finished the captcha.

web.archive.org/web/20111015224952/http://slinging.org/index.php?page=the-sling-in-medieval-europe---chris-harrison

Big nose chief need many Unga with big stone pouch what for stop another Holobunga. Pale skin tribe just want high capacity stone pouch for killing little Groks in the no-stones area.

Pale skin tribe also want high capacity stone pouch for stop another Holobunga.

Chief-piece in threat-square, Berrypicker.

But eagle tribe stop holobunga. eagle tribe thought bignose tribe friend. Why eagle tribe give up rock pouch? Grug no understand.

This is bs though. At the high point of armour use, you wore a padded garment underneath the plate or mail that was almost armour in itself. Impact to the armour was cushioned to the point where hitting each other on the head with warhammers was barely a reliable way of disabling someone, a rock or lead sling stone will not magically pulp organs.

>Advances in armor design were perhaps the sling’s biggest obstacle. In the early middle ages, it was common for infantry to carry a shield but wear little or no armor at all (DeVries, 1956; Martin, 1968; Nicholson, 2004). The sling would have been effective against these troops. However, by the High Middle Ages, advances in metallurgy and production meant more advanced armor was being used by knights and in greater quantity (Bradbury, 2004; Nicholson, 2004). These improvements trickled down to the common foot soldier. The formation of national or city militias meant that taxes could fund troop equipment, drastically raising the average level of armor in European armies (Martin, 1968). Plate armor became increasingly prevalent during the 1300s. By the 15th century, entire suits of plate mail were used by knights. (Blair, 1958; Nicholson, 2004) While a sling projectile has considerable impact energy, plate armor was often designed to deflect hits, reducing and redirecting the force. In addition, soldiers would wear gambesons and other padded clothes underneath their armor to diffuse the force of an impact. These new innovations made the sling ineffective. Although tipped projectiles were better suited at penetration, even archers and crossbowmen had difficulty with plate armor, which ultimately lead to the widespread adoption of firearms.

Attached: screenshot.png (2244x1993, 1.81M)

Attached: B6FC77E3-97E6-488B-8326-8ABCF064BD23.jpg (1368x922, 1.25M)

pre-sail naval combat must've been a fucking mess

Balearic slingers were really precious mercenary force in the ancient world and were hired by the Alexander the Great, Hannibal Barca and Julius Caesar for their campaigns.
They could use shields since slings were a one handed weapon:
youtu.be/gXiUDJRgiUc?t=9
and at long range they had similar ranges to bows:
youtu.be/sGSsbCPeocU
whilst their ammunition was cheap:
youtube.com/watch?v=lU87f5o8vMg
and really effective against unarmored soft targets with the right type of ammo:
youtu.be/IHP-aoQUhlY?t=239

Attached: Slingers.jpg (1366x800, 218K)

Reminder that Goliath was a chad with superior genes and David was a cheating jew.

fake & gay

you're probably thinking about Samson and Delilah

They were. Especially since it wasn't always clear who was who. Shame there's never been a good depiction of trireme combat put to film. It's interesting stuff.

Attached: GrkvPers Salamis 2_zpskxw8epuy.jpg (480x343, 53K)

You gotta be a special breed of faggot arnt ya?

We're not a forum anymore. Post 2015 Jow Forums is just a search engine with a bit more complicated interface.