Why do we never talk about the China Lake?

Why do we never talk about the China Lake?
Wtf guys

Attached: 32C49981-37BD-4827-AE05-F60BEFE3F49E.png (1984x444, 715K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BRb2iFkwDC4
youtube.com/watch?v=kSc3cvmCjMY
youtube.com/watch?v=VFEsxMhrHZs
youtu.be/GIUNSx0tdfU?t=43
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It never made it past prototype trials.
It was too heavy and had too little capacity to justify the cost, weight, and added care for it over the good old bloop gun.
There's no reason to discuss it unless you have a way of making it worth building and, at this point, modern tactics and grenade launcher have gone far past the need of it.

Its really not that notable as better semi auto grenade launchers have eclipsed it.

This piece of shit suffered horrendously with feeding issues.

But just look at the friggin thing.
It has an aesthetic that no modern launcher will ever top

Because the MilKor 40mm launchers are so much better it's not even funny.
Either do just a single-shot breech-loader and attach it under and infantry rifle, or make it a far more practical revolver which is faster and higher capacity.

It looks pretty damn rad, no doubt, but modern MGLs are pretty rad too.

Attached: Milkor MGL 40x46mm.jpg (1280x460, 140K)

youtube.com/watch?v=BRb2iFkwDC4
youtube.com/watch?v=kSc3cvmCjMY
Ian just did 2 vids on the MGL if anyone hasn't seen them yet. I didn't realize how complex the cylinder mechanism was. I just assumed it was a big-ass revolver.

Too boring, let's talk about the T148E1 instead.

Attached: 172039798523.jpg (639x475, 32K)

Is that a fucking 40mm harmonica launcher?

You know, that's not a terrible idea. Any reason why it never went anywhere?

It was deemed too unreliable for field operations due to its mechanism. But fuck me if it wouldn't be fun to operate that thing.

Yeah, the design was much more thought out than I had assumed.
It's kinda brilliant actually.

It's interesting looking, you'd slide it through for three shots, just like an old harmonica bar gun.

Didn't work very well, I think it wasn't entirely safe, but I don't remember for what reason.

Imagine if you could have the option to rig the harmonica like a mine as you could with the Pancor Jackhammer

Granted, the centrifugal arming switch would need to be bypassed, I guess

Holy shit that’s the fortnite pump!

>It's kinda brilliant actually.
Yeah, between the gas system and the spring, it seems to have way more going on than one would expect from just looking at it. I always wondered how the cylinder rotated on those things. I assumed you couldn't do it with a trigger pull, but I guess I just thought you'd have to rotate them manually or something.

sexy but shit

Not entirely true, XM25 was still a huge improvement just too much old brass momentum.

This should have 6 barrels though, just in case

>Huge (tactical doctrine) improvement (in theory, assuming long term tested technical success) just too much old brass momentum (and training expense)
US doesn't use dedicated grenadiers but it should.

People too busy talkin' bout the China Grove.

When every soldier has an underslung grenade launcher you don’t really need a dedicated grenadier

I think blackwater uses that one

Arguable, I think there was some data showing way way way less use if they weren't a dedicated role. Think the marines brought back dedicated grenadiers too, they're extra dumb and probably forgot underslung launchers existed.

Obviously grenadiers lose a lot of purpose if they're indoors. The programmable-distance tech is of questionable use if you have to be rangefinding in the middle of a firefight, kinda stupidly complicated in practice. Tons heavier kit for significantly less actual use. Completely different tactical doctrine requirements to have one less rifleman in every squad, dunno what the marines would do there.

Since we're on the topic, does anyone know what happened to the Metal Storm 3GL?
youtube.com/watch?v=VFEsxMhrHZs

Shit, what happened to metal storm at all? I never saw anything beyond the discovery channel bit on it.

*drunken rambling*

Attached: file.png (250x169, 50K)

They went bankrupt

I havn't heard about it since 2010 or so, it was such a neat concept.

Hm, looks like they were bought up by some aussie company, apparently contracted to put their gun-pods on a drone.
Wonder if the technology will end up anywhere after 20 years.

>holds 6 tubes
>can only use 4 grenades at a time
Valve plz fix

SCOTLAND IS NOT A REAL COUNTRY, YOU ARE AN ENGLISHMAN IN A DRESS!

If every soldier had a UGL you'd have a point, but they don't. Neither do you.

i like to imagine that it's because the demoman is drunk
he thinks it can only hold 4

>This should be six times as heavy just in case
This is either bait or you're retarded

Keeps bottles in extra 2 chambers.

iirc they originally had 6 but dropped it to 4 because it was kinda op

What is this, Mutant Chronicles?

Solution; give them some rifled bore and let them shoot up into the air before coming down.
This would probably be an extremely clunky way to make a not that useful mine.

Just a bouncing betty at that point isn't it?
I wonder how the RG-6 is different (besides the obvious requirements to fire Russian pseudo-caseless grenades that is). I've seen tangential comments comparing them and they've made me think theres some issues but I don't speak russian and they never go into detail. It might just be a difference in manufacturing quality.

youtu.be/GIUNSx0tdfU?t=43
GM-94 appears to work pretty well.

Attached: 70899_900.jpg (627x480, 155K)

What's it do that a six-shooter launcher can't do better?

Looks like something for close range operations where you can be as fast as average pump-action shotty. Note caseless grenades.

Yup. Same for the solider. Wish they would make a vanilla option for TF2.

Lighter, more compact and easier manual of arms.
In exchange, 1/2 the capacity and you have to pump rather than the MGL and RG-6's prewound cylinder indexing/double action mechanism.

GM-94 fires cased 43mm munitions though.

So, why did they kill the XM25 again? I thought that It was a neat concept, and seeing the field reports the troops seemed to love it

Attached: 1424784288.jpg (680x451, 41K)