Russian sub leaking radiation in Norwegian Sea

>Using a robotic sub, a team of investigators has detected traces of radiation leaking from Komsomolets—a Soviet nuclear submarine that sank 30 years ago in the Norwegian Sea. Radiation levels 800,000 times higher than what’s typically observed in the Norwegian Sea.

Not great, not terrible

gizmodo.com/a-sunken-cold-war-nuclear-sub-is-leaking-radiation-at-l-1836285594

Attached: nuclear submarine Komsomolets.png (2390x1214, 2.23M)

Other urls found in this thread:

voanews.com/europe/russian-tv-series-blames-cia-chernobyl-nuclear-disaster
pravdareport.com/society/121163-kursk_submarine/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There's no radiation comrade.

Attached: bernie.jpg (1051x864, 116K)

But soviet submarines don’t leak radiation.

Attached: 836B88FD-533F-41B2-87EB-877C4D08943A.png (600x450, 391K)

Usually they just burn up.

NYET!

Attached: 1559969440258.png (900x676, 410K)

You didn't see a Soviet submersible.
YOU DIDNT

You didn't see a soviet submarine in the Norwegian Sea because it isn't there.
This man is delusional. Take him to the medbay.

>underwater chernobyl
Lol, fucking russians never learn.

Who is surprised?

Aw shit here we go again

Attached: itacsv0aep631.png (748x901, 456K)

>Russian
Soviet. Know the difference.

Noob question, are there unrecovered nuclear warheads in sunk submarines?

Just speculation on my end, but given the time and cost of the warheads, plus the risk of someone else getting them first, I'd wager governments would go pretty far to ensure swift recovery of anything like that

There's hardly any difference internally. Russia's just poorer

I agree.

If there was anything down there, 30 years of salt ware would have made it unusable. However, the nuclear materials would still be intact and could be moved to another bomb.

On a related note, submarine reactor cores (in the USN at least) are commonly made with uranium that's enriched to near weapons-grade levels. Given that the sub is leaking rads, I'm guessing some nuclear material is still on board. If someone were to recover it, they would be a hop, skip and a jump away from a bomb.

So... any Jow Forumsomrades want to start MSF/ Outer Heaven?

There's speculation that a Scorpion class attack submarine was lost a sea with all hands and a "possible" nuclear weapons payload,

but the US has literally LOST 5 nuclear weapons from various models of B-XX's during the cold war. Some even landed on the Mainland US and have never been recovered.

So somewhere out there, there's a old, rundown, abandoned barn with a nuclear bomb sitting in it

The soviet union was a construct by russians, for russians. It was basically russia with some slave states baked in.

Wrong

Attached: 1562163565378.jpg (1251x1096, 375K)

And the Soviets didn't officially have AIDS.

Attached: 1560050537554.jpg (185x212, 15K)

Why didn't you copy-paste the next part, clown?
>That said, not all samples taken near the vent produced the same high results, and measurements made just a few feet above the duct did not yield the same big levels of radioactivity, as Justin Gwynn, a researcher at DSA, explained in the press release.

>A leaking radioactive sub certainly sounds scary, but this research suggests the wreck is not currently endangering the Norwegian Sea and outlying areas. Normally, radiation levels in the Norwegian Sea are at 0.001 Becquerel (Bq) per liter. Around the wreck, however, they are as high as 100 Bq per liter. For reference, the acceptable amount of radiation in food is 600 Bq per kilogram, as established by the Norwegian government in the wake of the Chernobyl disaster.

>“The levels we detected were clearly above what is normal in the oceans, but they weren’t alarmingly high,” said Heldal. She also added that the wreck is quite deep and the radiation is diluting quickly. And there aren’t many fish in this part of the ocean, so there’s little danger of contaminating Norwegian seafood, Heldal said.
Uh-oh, not so sensational after all, you squealing pig?
>Not great, not terrible
Ah, the typical amerishit retard educated by watching TV. Amazing.

>The soviet union was a construct by russians, for russians
Found a butthurt belt dweller, lol.

Attached: 1375013941002.jpg (640x474, 73K)

there's dozens of lost nukes starting back from the 50s

>100 Berkeley
Does the counter max at one hundred units?

Imagine how fucking horrifying it must be on a sub that's crashing to the bottom of the sea floor in a really deep part of the ocean. Doesn't help that just seeing images of wrecks gives me chills for some reason, they are fucking creepy

>currently

>It is not and it had not for the last 30 years, but it surely will, you just wait and see! Also pls gib monies to defend against ebil Russia.
You ass leaks more heat radiation than this sub the nuclear one.

Attached: 1560087049050.png (550x331, 172K)

In waters that deep explosive decompression happens faster than the human brain can process information so it would effectively be a painless death.

But yeah the initial plunge would suck.

Your confidence in Soviet tech is inspiring, Comrade. But not shared by all.

>But not shared by all.
Shared by Norway’s Institute of Marine Research.

Attached: slavic hierarchy.png (777x1233, 56K)

I like that picture because it pretends Russians aren't completely butthurt faggots.

Poor damage control, you're the one who argues Norway’s Institute of Marine Research here, clown.

Attached: 1544384272458.jpg (494x400, 28K)

No I'm not. I'm just pointing out that it's funny seeing Russians project their butthurt.

Imagine, within another 30 years IMR and Norwegian scientists will be monitoring decommissioned Moscow ICBMs as well.

Attached: 1514856390288.png (1280x904, 1.25M)

>No I'm not
Yes you are: >decommissioned Moscow ICBMs
There are no ICBMs in Moscow to decommission, retard. The next Russian ICBMs to retire will likely be UR-100N (Kozelsk and Tatischevo) and R-36M2 (Dombarovskiy and Uzhur) that are to be replaced by Sarmat.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-12 Google Translate.png (696x1012, 53K)

Seething

Take your meds.

Attached: schizo.png (420x180, 30K)

Russians don't get butthurt, only the butthurt belt of course))))

>"We found levels of radioactive cesium...that were close to 1 million times higher than the levels we find in [uncontaminated] seawater," Hilde Elise Heldal, a researcher from the Institute of Marine Research who participated in the July 7 mission, told RFE/RL by telephone.

I would have loved to actually get the number instead of a "1 million times X" statement, but there's a few things we can deduce from this:

1. The fact thath they detected cesium-137 (and there would only be cesium-137 because cesium 134 has all decayed away by now) in the seawater means that the nuclear fuel inside the reactor is leaking fission products, so that means that there are breeches in the fuel cladding and in the reactor itself.

2. While we don't know how much cesium-137 they actually detected, we can guesstimate a number from the "1 million times higher than the levels we find in [uncontaminated] seawater", which by the way is a stupid statement because all seawater conatins some cesium-137 from nuclear weapons tests, Chernobyl and Fukushima, so there is no "uncontaminated seawater" in that respect.
So the in arctic waters, there is on average about 3 Becquerels of cesium-137 per cubic meter, which would mean that they detected 3 million Becquerels per cubic meter in the seawater around the Komsomolets.
So that would be 3000 Becquerels per liter.
For comparison, the US drinking water limit for cesium-137 is 7.4 Becquerels per liter.
So the water is indeed contaminated, but it's actually not that much considering how quickly it is diluted in the seawater.

Attached: https _blogs-images.forbes.com_jamesconca_files_2014_03_Woods-Hole-Cs137-Map.jpg (960x484, 86K)

My sources claim the situation is deteriorating. Last measure in 2007 supposedly
>recorded 100 000 less radiation levels.
Wtf does it even mean. Are they omitting real value to suppress the panic?

>I would have loved to actually get the number instead of a "1 million times X" statement
It's in the article and it's 6 times lower than the acceptable amount of radiation in food, as established by the Norwegian government. OP is just a clown faggot.

Attached: op.jpg (239x226, 38K)

Oh, I was reading the RFERL article that didn't include numbers.

>A leaking radioactive sub certainly sounds scary, but this research suggests the wreck is not currently endangering the Norwegian Sea and outlying areas. Normally, radiation levels in the Norwegian Sea are at 0.001 Becquerel (Bq) per liter. Around the wreck, however, they are as high as 100 Bq per liter. For reference, the acceptable amount of radiation in food is 600 Bq per kilogram, as established by the Norwegian government in the wake of the Chernobyl disaster.

So the numbers are much lower at 100'000 Becquerels per cubic meter or 100 Becquerels per liter. These levels are relatively low and pose no immediate danger to sealife.
But still, my statement remains valid.
The Komsomolets is leaking water soluble fission products directly out of the reactor.

What a shit way to die

Lie, CIA planted radiation in the submarine to blame the strong and proud people of russia.

Your SIDs epidemic says otherwise.

cry more

Attached: OP.jpg (500x496, 69K)

Attached: 9434CA77-A13E-44B9-A7F5-1CC7FE1105A2.jpg (960x720, 271K)

I'm down

Attached: 20190701_195015~2.jpg (2375x2471, 1M)

I wouldn't worry about it, it's only 3.6 roentgens.

Not great, not terrible. About as much as a chest x-ray.

Ayy, I’ve got that same patch on my hat!
I hope you’re in Kentucky, we can larp together

>Komsomolets is leaking water soluble fission products directly out of the reactor
What's interesting is that slavs are claiming that's due to every underwater capable european country has conducted surveys by drilling into the boat at one point or another.

When has Russia ever not blamed the west for their engineering disasters?

When did they?

>james bond

What the fuck is going on in Ireland

Chernobyl? Kursk? Obviously the Russian state isn't officially pointing the finger, but it seems like there's a popular conspiracy theory that's held by Russian citizens every time something like this happens.

>Chernobyl? Kursk?
What? Did you get this from some TV series or Discovery channel "documentary"?

>it seems like there's a popular conspiracy theory that's held by Russian citizens
Oh, so not it's "Russian citizens" and not "Russia"? I guess at this point I'm free to just point at McCarthy and american russophobic anti-soviet hysteria of of the Cold War and claim that the US blames all the bad in the world on Russians. I mean it did, officially calling it "the empire of evil".

Chernobyl:
voanews.com/europe/russian-tv-series-blames-cia-chernobyl-nuclear-disaster
>A pro-Kremlin Russian TV network is planning to air a mini-series about Chernobyl, one suggesting a CIA saboteur was behind the 1986 Soviet-era nuclear disaster in Ukraine, which left up to a million people exposed to radiation.

Kursk:
pravdareport.com/society/121163-kursk_submarine/
>submarine "Kursk" that sank in 2000 was sunk by the Americans. This theory discussed in Russia and abroad was once again raised by the Polish Wprost, referring to the information allegedly received from the Russian General Staff officer, "Lt. Col. Andrei."

I'm sure most actual Russian decision makers realize those theories are BS, but the public seems to like them.

No need to be so defensive man, I'm just pointing out the trend of Russian conspiracy theories blaming the US when there's an engineering accident.

^this

Attached: 1538944936121.png (225x225, 5K)

I don't know, but I suspect the car bombs will be extra spicy next time tensions flair up.

>voanews
Jesus Christ, lol.
>A pro-Kremlin Russian TV network
Oh fuck lol, it was quite some time since I visited this cesspit.
>is planning to air a mini-series about Chernobyl, one suggesting a CIA saboteur was behind the 1986 Soviet-era nuclear disaster in Ukraine
Source? Last I heard they were mad about all the incoherent incorrect bullshit in HBO's series and wanted to make something that depicts the events closer to reality. Though having heard that Kozlovskiy is to play the main role, I'm afraid it will be infested with some some cheesy love story.
>This theory discussed in Russia and abroad
There's plenty theories on a lot of things. And then there's actual investigations. It is possible that the official investigation considered such a version at some point. It's their job.
>was once again raised by the Polish Wprost
so we switched from Russia to Russian citizens to ...Polish what, a newspaper?
>but the public seems to like them
Public, particularly American one, also likes to claim that Americans never landed on the Moon, that the earth is flat and that 9/11 was a Bush administration operation. And that Russians want to steal their hamburgers.
I have a sense you got a perception of the world of a 5 years old.

Take your meds and go to bed slavtard.

>I'm just pointing out the trend of Russian conspiracy theories blaming the US
That doesn't really seem to exist. Americans do everything in their power to further alienate Russians who are indeed for obvious historical reasons a bit paranoid about any sort of foreign invasion ranging from political plots to war. It doesn't make conspiracy theories something exclusive to them.

>That doesn't really seem to exist

I just addressed that. One is an unsourced claim in a propaganda outlet, another is some Polish newspaper posting some crap years after official Russian investigation concluded that it was a torpedo explosion, which the absolute majority of the Russian public agrees to.

>What the fuck is going on in Ireland
It's because of the Sellafield nuclear reprocessing plant on the west coast of England.
From the earliest days of that site when it was reprocessing spent nuclear fuel from the windscale piles and the earliest magnox reactors to produce weapons grade plutonium, to about 1975 when better waste treatment facilities were installed, Sellafield released about as much cesium-137 into the Irish sea as the damaged Fukushima nuclear plant released into the Pacific in 2011.
Nowadays Sellafield's discharges into the sea are negligible in comparison, but there's still a lot of cesium-137 in the sediment and water of the irish sea because of those old releases.

Attached: sellafield-1.jpg (2000x1339, 864K)

Should've bought Soviet.

>implying that propensity towards anti-US conspiracy theories is a bad thing

Conspiracy theories are a bad thing because they have no connection to reality. Exposing actual American bullshit on the other hand is absolutely necessary.

delet this

Attached: 1560937505084.jpg (303x335, 90K)

Oh boy. Here we go. Can't wait.

Attached: godzilla.jpg (1000x750, 149K)

Attached: 1559719701490.jpg (970x713, 56K)

>Memri and Chernobyl memes combined
My prayers have been answered.

Attached: SheikFarfour.jpg (480x360, 21K)

Oh great, first he trashtalks the Estonians, now Armatard's gonna talk shit about us Norwegians. Thanks Jow Forums. >:(

It's only 3.6 roentgen.

Wrong, much like with the K-129, the Soviets probably assumed it was so deep (at roughly 15k') there was no need for a retrieval as it was essentially unreachable/recoverable.

Then those kick ass Americans stepped in, built a special ship just for the task that broke many different world records, and then picked the whole goddamned thing up off the seabed to bring home all while KEPT SECRET from the Ruskies. I mean, just wow.

Meanwhile after looking at the sub, they come to find out Soviet subs were barely operational, and had actually been using fucking 2"x4"s to support the ship's hull, among other things. It blows my mind to think those fucking yokels wanted to go head to head with a country such as the US.

Attached: 1482379114221.png (834x556, 68K)

You've got a point

Holy FUCK cope harder

My lord this is some premium slav-seething.

>2"x4"
Ukraine 2"x4"'s are stronger and come already irradiated.

Attached: Damka.jpg (225x225, 7K)

I suffer from submechanophobia as well, brother. Stay strong.

Not their fault

Attached: CIA_ASW.png (700x700, 224K)

Except they didn't recover the entire sub, it broke apart. And the Russians where aware of the operation.

What information was learned was of limited usefulness because of the limited material recovered and the time it had sat on the sea floor. Overall it cost an insane amount of money, and gathered limited Intel before being sold and resold before being scrapped.

>t. CIA

In a location in my state a loaded B29 went down on private property. Supposedly, all the explosives went up in the blast. I can only hope the batshit rancher who owns the land has some fun toys in the barn.

wow they are leaking a whole radiation?!

This is the Soviet Union we are talking about here, being a bunch of inept faggots it's what they were good at I wouldn't be surprised if the is fully loaded down there