How long will polymer frame last? will it last as long as ww2 rifle made of metal and wood.?

how long will polymer frame last? will it last as long as ww2 rifle made of metal and wood.?

Attached: gp-87727.jpg (1200x900, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?174174-Nylon-66-stock-repair-open-to-suggestions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah.

Attached: 0303190852.jpg (1224x1632, 866K)

longer probably

There's actually an island of polymer framed guns building up in the Pacific Ocean right now. Scientists say it will last for centuries until the zytel breaks down enough.

just be cause they have a higher half-life doesn't mean they are better.

HOW WELL DO THEY STAY.

look at plastics and polymers in cars, they start to making squeaks, and then eventually get brittle, they release fumes.

This is the worst kind of Dunning-Kruger. You take what little you know about something and try to defend your position basis of that knowledge.

Car interiors use mostly Vinyl and ABS, while firearm receivers largely use a Nylon, or in some cases Polypropylene, with varying fillers and UV resistance formulas in them.

they use pbt bro.

guns probably use a much different kind of plastic than cars and cars are also exposed to sun literally all day every day

>how long will polymer frame last? will it last as long as ww2 rifle made of metal and wood.?
Personally I wouldn't want to shoot a plastic pistol that was 70 years old unless it was kept oiled and sealed the majority of those decades.
>inb4 someone mentions their grandpappys Vinyl 66
Yeah, but that's a rimfire rifle - doesn't endure the same amount stress as a centerfire pistol frame.

i'll go take a picture of the saiga stock i've left out in the florida sunshine for a year for science.

Black one is the control, left inside a metal cabinet since i bought five of them from apex. The one left outside still won't crack from light pressure but plastic dust will rub off of it and It's got an unpleasent fiberglass feel. The black areas on the greyish one are from water, it was raining lightly outside.

Attached: 20190712_132154.jpg (2560x1440, 1.57M)

It's been approximately a year, give or take a few months, I'd have to check my records. I get that Glocks aren't saiga stocks and you normally wouldn't leave your handgun outside for a year, but uv damage is cumulative and gun plastic is still plastic.

Attached: 20190712_132206.jpg (2560x1440, 1.94M)

Probably, and you can buy more when they break for cheap

Different guns use different polymers. Good test though. But, consider that you left a stock out for a full year exposed to countless repetitions of water, sunlight, and humidity levels, with zero maintenance, yet the polymer stock is still servicable. If you used a wood stock for that test it would no longer be safe to use and likely crack/rot. If you used a metal frame it would be rusted to shit and likely unservicable as well. Polymer is just stronger, lighter, lower maintenance, and more resistant to the elements.

>doesn't endure the same amount stress
that's why VP70's are all gone

Attached: 1546614631999.jpg (204x247, 5K)

the main damaging factor is the uv light though, if i'd kept the stock in a display case next to a metal framed gun under a window the stock would continuously wear while the metal would be fine indefinitely. i also suspect the stock i've left out will become brittle to the point of being unserviceable in another year or two. i have seen tons of different types of old (50+ years) plastic pieces that have very different material properties to the ones they started with, and i don't think anyone can say for certain that their plastic will act just the same in 100 years until we've see it do so.

>let me compare plastics that are the lowest possible quality out in sunlight and constant shifting weather conditions
Man, I bet those WW1/2 rifles they dig up out of the ground work great, oh wait.

>that's why VP70's are all gone
Just because they haven't literally disintegrated doesn't mean the integrity of the polymer hasn't been compromised at all over the past 40-50 years.

Based guinea pig user

>Different guns use different polymers.
Almost all of them use glass-filled nylon, they aren't *that* different. Constant exposure to heat, moisture and UV rays for a year would fuck a Glock of HK frame badly as well I imagine.

>half-life
>plastics, wood, and iron
You absolute retard

> if i'd kept the stock in a display case next to a metal framed gun under a window the stock would continuously wear while the metal would be fine indefinitely

This is a pretty stupid argument to be frank. If I kept a polymer frame, a metal frame and a wooden stock in a humid, wet environment, the polymer would last indefinitely while the metal and wood would rust, rot, and crack rather quickly to the point of being unusable. What's your point?

As far as UV, many modern types of polymer have UV resistant materials in them. And even without those materials, polymer is still serviceable after long term exposure to UV with absolutely zero maintenance. If kept out of sunlight they will last indefinitely with no maintenance. The realistic danger to wood and metal frames from moisture is far greater than that of polymer from sunlight in a real use sense. The original polymer pistols are still working just fine decades later.

Pic related is what happens if you leave wood/metal without maintenance for decades. Anyone who says "hurr muh wood and steel will last centuries but polymer wont" is talking out of their ass. With proper maintenance both will last for a very long time. The polymer requires less maintenance. there's no reason that a polymer stock won't last at the least for your lifetime and your childrens.

Attached: download (6).jpg (300x168, 14K)

All elements undergo radioactive decay. The ones with lower atomic values just decay more slowly and have half-lifes of hundred thousands or millions of years compared to decades or centuries compared to the ones that emit ionizing radiation.

But it's been ten years since high school chem so take me with a grain of salt.

>half-life
Someone else already called you a retard and maybe that’s all I should do, but I’m an autist so I’m gonna explain why you’re retarded.
Half-life is a very fucking specific definition. It is a constant, fixed value for a material in a vacuum unless you’re talking about a specific drug in the body. Leaving a wood and metal gun outside will have it degrading far faster from the elements than it would from radioactive decay. A polymer gun will also be degraded by UV light far faster than it ever would via radioactive decay. Wood, plastic, and iron are very fucking stable. Their half-lives are in the thousands of years, not in days or months. Half-life doesn’t play into this scenario at all.

Yeah obviously, but the radioactive decay of the elements in those materials is so fucking slow that you’d never account for them in practical settings. Wood in nature is decomposed by microorganisms way before radioactive decay has any measurable effects.

Not all elements have radioactive decay. Only radioactive elements have radioactive decay. A stable isotope of carbon such as Carbon-12, will never spontaneously emit, alpha, beta or gamma decay. Carbon-14 will however. 99% of carbon on the planet is 12, 1% is 13, and an exceptionally small fraction of it is 14. So your wood will decay from biological decomposition rather than radioactive decay. It is simply not a factor in material durability on the scale of a human life span.

Even hydrogen-1 has radioactive decay user, all isotopes do. It’s measured at 10^35 years though, so for all practical purposes it doesn’t.

>UV resistant materials
>resistant
UV has no effect on metal though

Half-life doesn't refer specifically to radiocative or metabolic fartbreath.
Half-life is also used in measuring rate of chemical reaction, if the reaction is the decay of nylon or whatever it's still a valid term.

>buy 3d printer
>print frame
>use frame until it sucks
>print new frame
>repeat ad nauseum

>look at plastics and polymers in cars
plastics and polymers is redundant af numbnuts. the main reason plastic parts in your engine bay break is from repetitive temperature changes on cheaper plastics

Yfw the only current production polymer pistols serviceable in 100 years are covered in cringy paint jobs

Attached: maxresdefault (7).jpg (1280x720, 154K)

>iron
who tf uses a gun made out of iron

>comparing the body of a vehicle to a firearm
>remotely implying those are the same polymers
>using the word half life in this context
I don’t have a brainlet picture stupid enough to convey just how fucking retarded (you) and your post is, so this will have to do.

Attached: 0B5C01F6-C60E-48D1-9ADD-D4D5CBE72C65.png (1000x432, 165K)

Kek, play runescape and you'll understand

Ok. But moisture does, and it has and significant crippling effect on metal without maintenance. Leave plastic stock outside for a year, still works. Leave a metal or wood stock outside for a year, you're gonna have to buy a new stock. The effect of UV on polymer is minimal. The effect of moisture on metal and wood is significant and much faster acting than that of uv on polymer. Polymer is quite frankly lighter, more durable, and lower maintenance. Just all around superior.

Moisture effects polymer too

>Moisture effects polymer too
This. Especially when heat is introduced. With a good anti-corrosion finish I would absolutely trust a metal frame to weather the elements better in the long term compared to plastic.

Polymer frames aren't meant to be heirlooms. Photodegredation is well in the minds of the manufacturers when they are made.

elaborate

my point was many guns are kept in glass fronted cases and unless they are safe queens it's a much closer analog to regular carry and general use than being left in a bog. the year outside was just to accelerate what otherwise might take decades under normal conditions, but would still happen. you'll also note that the metal sling swivel does have some surface rust but is still just as serviceable as the polymer of the stock, and that was with zero maintenance 30ft from salt water.

> I get that Glocks aren't saiga stocks and you normally wouldn't leave your handgun outside
Glock are made from Zytel / Polyamide and it has a lot more tensile strength than other plastics but it also degrades faster over time.

>With proper maintenance both will last for a very long time.

I own guns that are hundreds of years old. I have zero interest in polymer guns and for good reasons. If I gave a fuck about you I'd explain but I don't and you're far to stupid to listen anyway. Polymer guns exist because they give a higher profit margin to the seller/maker. That's all. No other reason. Because they are the highest profit margin they get marketed the hardest ad dumb faggots like you that echo marketing bullshit and who's lives are the product of marketing parrot it to reinforce your retard confirmation bias. This is very common in fanboys e,g the modern public sign of idiocy an iphone. You're an idiot. Look in the mirror and let that sink in

couldn't find any reports of glocks age fatiguing yet, the older mags have started going though
>I have one of the first Glock 17s sold in the US. The gun still shoots great. Two of the original mags crumbled in my hand about Two years ago. I have stopped using the mags with u shape. It has a serial number that starts with AF.

nylon 66s also seem to not have been holding up that well.
forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?174174-Nylon-66-stock-repair-open-to-suggestions

>Polymer guns exist because they give a higher profit margin to the seller/maker. That's all. No other reason.
I hate polymer guns but this is still a fucking dumb thing to say.

wood stocks have the best aesthetics, no contest

polymer stocks have the best practical usage, no contest

>actually trying to talk plastics with PolymerGoy
You're gonna lose this argument real bad user.

The decay rate of Nylon is in the thousands of years. If you put it out in the sun, it’s going to decay at different rates depending on UV exposure, water exposure, etc. and that’s not going to be constant, it will change depending on where you put it. That’s not half-life.

Yeah like vintage nylon lingerie and stockings from the 50s being sold are disintegrating? Lol.

Wood is a polymer, and it does photodegrade. So there’s your answer.

So you took the time to write all that shut out, yet your excuse for having no argument is that you don't care. Keep coping retard. Youre clearly not intelligent enough to debate so just stick to lurking while the big boys talk.

fags like you are never liked by others.

>echo marketing bullshit
Speaking of which, calling it 'polymer' instead of 'plastic' is an attempt to make it sound fancier than it is. Why do you parrot that?

Attached: 6CF2508C-5FF7-451F-B960-B6DCBD381E1C.jpg (305x165, 10K)

is this who i think it is?

>polymer is just a meme, to do less work.
> fucking machining a part, finding ways to make it cheaper, when you can cast it in a mold,

polymer in weapons is a Jewish trick, feed you a new age material, that is cheaper for them, and is worse during service .

It’s lighter though, fudd. Ounces turn into pounds.

wrong, you dumb turbo gay

what do you think steel is

a medal

Is cerakoat a good option to extend the lifetime of polymer? Seals it off from UV and moisture.

Attached: sopd[paa.jpg (539x409, 27K)

It's lighter, lasts longer, and requires little to no maintenance. It's just plain superior. It is a modern material. Only retards afraid of scientific progress make these dumb arguments. People like you are always on the losing side of history.

I'd still like a titanium Glock frame for shits and giggles.

Probably not enough to matter. Polymer firearms are trending to outlast us. Bakelite from the 1900s is still around, you would think polymer used on guns would last even longer.

steel is not just iron numbnuts

No. You'll have adhesion problems before long.

If you want to maximize the service life of a polymer frame, just care for it properly.

Keep it relatively clean, but avoid caustic cleaning agents.

Don't expose it to extreme temperatures for extended periods of time. You might want to avoid temperature shocking as well.

Don't do the stupid shit that lots of glockbois do, and decide to use a dremel to "customize" the grip, magwell, etc.

Look, any decent poly frame is going to last a long damned time. It's not the perfect substrate to make a frame from, but it does work.

Seems like it's in much better shape than a wood or metal part would be if left outside for a year in Florida.

Sssshhhhhh

>Airsoft lower
user I...

What percentage of WW2 guns survived WW2?

>all those caveats
And the only thing really have to worry about with steel is rust, and with the modern anti-corrosion treatments that are available that's hardly an issue - especially when we're talking about just leaving the gun sit around unused.

Attached: illegal-guns.jpg (1024x650, 425K)

>polymer will last longer!!
>but only if you do this, this, and that
>and make sure you don’t do this, that, and this

Holy shit. Kys my mans.

You know what is cool about plastic. is there are tens of thousands of 3D printers that can make just about any shape including gun frames.

Probably most of them. Unfortunately they were sent off as foreign aid by all powers, and then broken by subhumans.

Decay deez nuts

Attached: Galactic lulz.jpg (1284x980, 262K)

>main damaging factor is the uv light
>in a display case
>under a window
Glass blocks UV light, user.

Most of that list goes for wood and metal as well, retard.

You do not hate modernity, otherwise you'd be shitposting on some papyrus scroll somewhere, faggot. Your autism does not constitute objective reality, your preference for steel or wood does not invalidate advantages to using other materials for manufacturing products.

>About 75 percent of UVA passes through ordinary glass