How could you break a pistol by cleaning it ?

How could you break a pistol by cleaning it ?

Asking for a friend.

Attached: extendo.jpg (450x669, 67K)

Lots of ways.

Describe the main ones that comes to your mind.

Breaking parts of the pistol due to improper cleaning methods.

Describe the main ones that comes to your mind.

Breaking something.

I broke a recoil spring cleaning a 1911 once.

I broke the frame and barrel by trying to clean it with a woodchipper.

Attached: But at least it's clean now.jpg (500x327, 92K)

Define "break".
You could physically break or bend small parts by being careless or using excessive force (depending on the gun, of course...not all have parts which are easily damaged).

You could lose parts. You could also incorrectly assemble things such that the gun doesn't work...at least until it's been re-assembled properly

safety switches are quite fragile, especially on a Beretta 92

Sure.

By breaking i was more thinking about "damaging" the firearm. Like the rifling of the barrel, some specific pieces, using oil at the wrong places etc.

Use a brass brush and don't attach it to a power tool when you clean your barrel. It's steel and plastic, go nuts with the oil if you want.

Are you simply asking about damage? Because "break" tends to imply something that it renders the gun inoperable, not merely damaged.

There are tons of ways to damage but not break a gun when cleaning it. You could accidentally introduce sand or grit into precisely fitted areas. You could fail to apply proper lubrication, or apply the wrong kind of lube which attracts dirt. You could leave an obstruction in the bore or in a gas port. You could damage the crown by rubbing a cleaning rod against it You can strip screw threads and screw heads. You could clean steel parts and then fail to re-oil them so that they rust. You could fire corrosive ammo or black powder and then neglect to clean it. Etc.

You're 1000x more likely to bend some tiny spring like a trigger return spring or hammer mainspring. Maybe bend the rails by dropping the frame. Or damaging sights by dropping the slide.

>oil damging anything in a gun
lol

Oil won't make the gun suddenly "break" but improper oiling can cause long-term damage. If the gun has wood furniture excess oil can soak into that over time and ruin its structural integrity. In other words, it can fuck up grips and stocks. Excess oil, or the wrong kind of lube, can attract dirt and make it stick in the mechanism. This can cause excess wear or malfunctions due to debris jamming things.

those aren't common problems and they are easily avoided so it's not something I'd worry about per se, but it's dumb to think that it's impossible to harm a gun with oil.

salt water baths

lol what. Technically speaking if i put too much oil in a gun when i will shoot it deposits will stick to the oil and cause malfunctions, no ?

Don't operate in a sandstorm then? Oil it according to the manual. If you're afraid to touch it bare handed when you're done then you've used too much.

>Oil it according to the manual

The Beretta manual is very vague on the subject and virtually tells you to put oil on every single part.

If it moves lightly oil it. Wipe off excess/drip.

No user, the krylon spray paint will wear naturally if you shoot the gun.

Dry firing a 22 pistol trying to spread oil