Why don't we have Halo's Pellicans Yet?

The idea of a transport that can move at subsonic speed with a large bay of soldiers and powered by 4 jet engine
(Or even one but with more exhaust like the hurricane)

It is not a bad idea per se, and from distance seems to be more stable than the tiltrotors with 2 engines....so what prevent us from reaching such machine?

Attached: 1280607002_preview_pelican.jpg (1024x728, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson-McConnell_agreement_of_1966
starwars.fandom.com/f/p/2901034041652282887
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_31
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Halo being 500 years into the future and a video game aside the (((MIC))) is mostly concerned with pocketing contract money.

Jet engines are stupidly inefficient at low speeds, like the ones you'd experience operating in a vertical hover. There have been some attempts at VTOL jet transport aircraft (I think the Germans produced one in the 60's), but generally speaking, some sort of turboprop/shaft is much more useful for the kind of operating conditions such an aircraft would encounter.

Attached: 5046540.png (1229x1024, 84K)

Tell you what, you design it so that it can actually get airborne and then see if ANY armed forces don't think its retarded okay?

Because you can't get jets that small with enough lift

This. Also, I'm pretty sure the Pelican used some sort of fusion thruster (air/fuel passed over a high-temperature reactor) as opposed to traditional turbofans.

I would unironically do that.
Saying the US gov I need a billion, then cutting it down to 750 millions to prove I am trying.

Then I take a picture of a pelican. I purchase 100 Engineers from Russia and China promising them 1 million dollars each and a citizenship.
I spend Futher 200 million dollars in the prototype. The remaining 450 I blew them in 19 years old girls wearing teen titans outfit, crack cocaine and a house in Myanmar.

You don't. Need Trump to make America great again. I can do it better for a billion

Attached: 1561079222641 (1).png (417x480, 476K)

Jet engines makes it faster, and cooler.
Nobody likes nerds that want to cook block real progress with their "science" and their "efficiency" .
Germans used to think like that...a war fought using science and metric system...9mm bullets that were reasonable and made in a way to be enough efficient.

Then the Americans arrived they had bullets in .45 it is not clear the unit of measure of the .45, it is just the size they saw was enough big to kill a Cherokee with one bullet. They keep fighting the war like that and they won.

Your reasoning is not only wrong, but is unamerican

What's the difference between tiltrotor and tiltwing, practically?

The tilting wing causes more forward drag. It's slightly more stable when completely vertical or rotating, but not enough to make a real difference

Osprey does what you ask. The tiltrotors are a variation of a turboprop which is a propeller spun by a jet engine. Turboprops have the largest diameter and can move the largest volume of air which is critical at slow speeds when you compare it to a turbofan or a turbojet.

We had Pelicans over 50 years ago, built with Nazi super-science.

The project was cancelled because it was expensive and the military at the time couldn't think of any use for a light VTOL jet transport.

Attached: 8211458628_dc79d1d5be_b.jpg (1024x643, 111K)

Alright zoom zoom, it’s bedtime. Be sure to put your legos away first.

Even helicopters spend very little time in a stationary hover. A little bit of forward speed gives a lift benefit plus there is a ground effect for additional lift when you get to the last few meters.

If you tilt your wings up you're going to exceed the critical angle and stall them out, losing lift. If you keep your wings flat you'll still get some helpful lift even with a modest forward speed. Flaps are also beneficial on tiltrotors that are still maintaining some forward speed.

Ideally you do not want stationary hovers while out of ground effect because of the extreme power requirements, plus a mechanical failure is much more deadly because you're high enough to die and not going fast enough to glide.

>The idea of a transport that can move at subsonic speed with a large bay of soldiers and powered by 4 jet engine...

>....so what prevent us from reaching such machine?

As far as I'm aware the Pelican dropship in Halo uses rocket thrusters because jet turbines would not work in orbit. As far as I'm aware we do not currently have rockets that are small enough, powerful enough, or efficient enough to make a rocket powered dropship feasible.

>and the military at the time couldn't think of any use for a light VTOL jet transport.
Hilarious, in hindsight.

Can carry a tank, only has 10 seats for infantry.

No, you forgot US DoD politics. USAF took all Army fixed wing assets, combat or transport, then decommissioned everything that they took over. Which is why the OV-1 and OV-10 disappeared and also everything smaller than a C-130 like the DHC-4 disappeared.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson-McConnell_agreement_of_1966

The Osprey was built by the USMC because the role and need is there, but the USAF isn't interested and the Army doesn't have the influence.

That doesn't make any part of this less hilarious.
Hell, they keep trying to take the Warthog out of the air and yet it's still fucking chugging.

>TIE Fighter cockpit with a giant spike on the front
Could they have made it look any more like a "bad guy" airplane?

USAF Operates the CV-22 tho. And we have very good cohesion with the army when operating transport aircraft. It allows the Army to focus its resources on fighting the enemy.

It isn't hindsight, it is politics and money.

No, it very much is.
It's like looking at French procurement during WW2... Yeah, it was a lot of politics and money, but in hindsight... This shit should have been obvious if the brass excavated their skulls from their rectums.

What's up with the Halo threads?

No idea but I just downloaded Halo 2 for pc for all the nostalgia, still a great game

The American way is the only way

Since they decided the Master Chief Collection was being ported to PC and Reach being the first to come, I can see where the hype comes from.

Come up with an energy source that can power a flying brick to escape velocities first.

Shit I didnt even know, I just remembered how fun it was playing Halo drunk and felt like getting it

>I just downloaded Halo 2 for pc
Where?

Just some sketchy site that i cant remember, sorry bud

Just download Project Cartographer. It's free, has multiplayer, it even has achievements built in. It's great.

Says you need to have purchased Halo 2?

Checked. How the FUCK is HALO 2 cost 25-40 bucks?!

>STAR WARS YAY REMEMBER STAR WARS GUYS? I DO!

Attached: 4442032C-466C-4609-8819-F68F97AE1AE6.jpg (776x838, 72K)

Its like a b29 drop ship

Does it still have multiplayer?

I don't feel anyone has said that: Jet Exhaust is extremely high temperature and will do damage to tarmac or other landing zones. Jet powered VTOL would damage landing zones like Airports, or aircraft carriers.

Uh no
The pelican is created by a society 500 years in the future.
It probably uses extremely advanced materials and very advanced mechanical design to optimize strength and reduce weight.
It’s also powered by a mini fucking fusion reactor.

Shut up faggot

when americans say their military isnt a corrupt mess that cant fight, i will remind them of this.

US General/Admiral politics/vision have always been a thing. USAF is pretty famous with the era of Bomber generals and now Fighter generals. Other countries can be just as bad or worse.

Nah, I've heard it's out there on pc but I'm too busy to wade through shit to find it. Should try if you really want

Jews, man. I dont know, I'm pretty sure the first couple CODs still cost 20 as well. They should be free at this point

Reminds me of the "tank" from Doctor No. Doesn't even look like a real fuckin plane.

This type of shit is the reason cool things don't exist

GOD DAMN RIGHT

Attached: 1553833824246.jpg (597x643, 75K)

>BROOO STAR WARS IS SO FUCKING BAD GODDAMN SJW MOVIES

Attached: 1562317956385.png (736x1444, 274K)

Star Wars is propaganda by the elite, and it is disgusting. Tell me why the secessionist had to fight wars( and be genocided) for wanting to stay away from the Republic ( aka the European union or the global government ) they wanted freedom and the possibility to rule their own destiny.

Jedi are pieces of shits, fanatics that committed various genocides nobody can speak about.
starwars.fandom.com/f/p/2901034041652282887
Also their cult is all about kidnapping kids
And force them in becoming mindless zealots of the cult.
It is like a complete upside down of morality...it is pure subversion

Attached: 1560200435831.jpg (640x460, 83K)

>Tell me why the secessionist had to fight wars( and be genocided) for wanting to stay away from the Republic ( aka the European union or the global government ) they wanted freedom and the possibility to rule their own destiny.

...Did you not watch the movies? It was because of this guy. Palpatine was behind it all.

And a lot of Star Wars lore explores go the Jedi aren't always morally righteous and that being one doesn't exempt you from being a bad person.

Attached: behinditall.jpg (1920x819, 196K)

Its funny when you realize the empire was good and just and the jedi were a bunch of fucks.

Is there tiananmen square copypasta but with alderaan?

It's almost like it was an allegory for the American government funding controlled opposition to fight endless proxy wars.

>china

enjoy stolen r&D

(aurebesh scribbles) Free Kashyyyk

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_31
German got it to work in the sixties, but like a lot of other projects it got canned due to "changing requirements" and other MIC bullshit.

The applications are niche though, especially comparing it to the graph in , the Do-31 still is a hell of a lot faster than any tilt rotor craft. If you'd produce a modern variant you could probably work out most issues.

>low speed jet engines are horrific
>no ability to autorotate

The Jedi would have been fine if they hadn’t let themselves get wrapped up in Republic politics so hard. That’s what led Dooku to lose faith in the order.

this is literally perma-virgin: the post

>Dornier Do
more like dorkier don't. mosquito-looking nerd plane.

Attached: dorkier.jpg (800x800, 43K)

Because the Pelican would fly worse than the fucking Space shuttle, ie a fucking cinderblock

>unstable airfoil
>magically able to fly long distance "because reasons"
>oh its superfast too, regardless of it being shaped like an iron

OP, why don't we have teleportation rays too? You dumb little shit. Glad Halo is a dead franchise, it just took a decade and a half.

Attached: fuck you, i'll fucking kill you if you talk to me like that again - george lucas.jpg (420x560, 40K)

Halo like all sci fi has a lot of handwaving, but at least it holds suspension of disbelief a lot more than literally all other large competing sci fi brands

The Star Wars prequels are literally about the "9/11 was an inside job" conspiracy theory.

Palpatine controlled both sides of the Clone Wars so he could justify abolishing democracy and becoming the Emperor.

>I said get in!

Attached: Mr+burns+i+said+get+off+_5d8db33e6a44d5571d080c47c52a667c.jpg (1000x563, 111K)

>alderaan
When you realize the entire planet's efforts were going to the rebellion and that destroying a planet is a much lower cost than a galactic civil war, it starts to make sense why the empire would make that decision.

Dooku's story was tragic. He also should have been an elder member of the council

Not really

Based but bluepilled