WA - Happening Thread

Hi, PNW Geologist here. I figured this was a good place to post this to maybe spread some awareness.

Some of you WA people might have heard of this on the local news, but earlier today there was a magnitude 4.6 earthquake in Snohomish County. Generally speaking it's pretty much impossible to "predict" earthquakes with any meaningful certainty, but it would be dishonest to suggest that there is not an increased risk of further earthquakes following a relatively major event such as this. If a major earthquake actually does occur in the PNW, it'll be pretty destructive, so hold on to your hats and I hope you're ready for a mini boogaloo.

If anyone has any questions about this, I'll be sticking around so feel free to ask. Hopefully we can get other people to share useful information too, and I hope you Jow Forumsommandos do good work in the case that something does actually happen.

Attached: 4d72686032121bf1ad6ac8ed8f47610e.png (432x306, 174K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/pCQFvU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_Peak#Hazards
desuarchive.org/k/thread/42016661/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Everyone better get their favorite dildos into their suitcases. :3

Shook me and my bed last night. I was 2 years old for the last big one here, so this is my first one that im old enough to remember. Scared the hell out of me. Got my AR prepared to boogaloo habbening.

Anything at all going on with any local fault lines or the volcanoes, op?

Kind of a vague question, but I think I know what you're asking. There has been no public announcements from the USGS regarding this earthquake, but it's pretty obvious what's going on and I'll try to keep it simple.

On the pic, the big red circle is the general location of the last dozen earthquakes that have happened in WA state, including the 4.6 and the 3.5 that proceeded it. Thedotted line just to the southwest of the big circle is the Southern Whidbey Island Fault. We don't know for sure exactly where this fault is located because it's covered by mcmansions and parking lots, but it's transpressional and hard to define anyway (it's about 6 km wide at certain points) and it's pretty obvious that it was the culprit here. These earthquakes occurred at around a depth of ~30km, which is basically at the very base of the continental crust in the area, not buckling in the subducting JDF plate. The true relationships between this fault and the local tectonics are still unknown (people never listen to geologists anyway) so I'll refrain from making any big claims, but it's suggested that the activity in the SWIF can be indicative of regional tectonic strains. This can mean that the energy from the JDF subduction zone along the Cascade fault line has built up and overcoming the strength of the continental rock. Generally speaking, that would either mean these earthquakes are either a sign of the rock releasing some energy and maintaining status quo OR a foreshock for a much greater earthquake. Think of it like a sandcastle sagging under its own weight; it either slumps a little bit and settles, or the instability created by the movement causes it to collapse.

pic related is a magnetic anomaly map of Puget Sound with the fault labeled near the top of the map.

Attached: 350px-Puget_Lowland_basins_and_faults.png (350x534, 971K)

I'm stupid and referenced two images in my post

Attached: 3454675956734573457.png (627x478, 196K)

I live like 100 yards from lake tye. Weird
Also the earthquake wasnt shit, stop freaking out like a normie. Just because we dont get them often doesnt mean it's the end of the world

Oh, and about volcanoes. I can't really say anything new about them from this earthquake, but the depth of the earthquakes may be a cool indication of the occurrence of flux melting beneath the continental crust at that location, which is cool.

>the earthquake wasnt shit, stop freaking out like a normie. Just because we dont get them often doesnt mean it's the end of the world
1. You're the one behaving like a normie.
2. That's not why this is a concern.

Can we stop it by sacrificing gays to mt St. Helens?

give it to me straight doctor, what are the odds of all the hipsters in seattle going into the sea with this?

It varies, but the odds can go up dramatically with your help and a gun.

Please let a massive earthquake destroy half of Seattle. Maybe Californians would go home and I could afford rent.

Attached: e535a77.jpg (750x738, 35K)

Driving around Seattle proper is like pulling fucking teeth. They have those stupid mandatory turn lanes that you can't see until you're already in them. and by then good luck getting into the lane to go forward. Oh yeah, that turn goes into a one-way highway that goes through half the city that you can't get off of until you get to Lake Union. God fucking damn who designed this shit.

Attached: artworks-000211432293-brxq8j-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 41K)

>God fucking damn who designed this shit.
Jews and fags from Cali.

I never drive in Seattle. It is a fucking joke. But every fucking time my dumbass mother visits she wants to drive around the city. And every time she get stressed out about traffic and shit. Then we get in some stupid fight about parallel parking.

Also she packs sandwiches like we are going hiking in the woods.

Attached: 927d2fa.jpg (1643x2019, 540K)

The one you should be worrying about is Rainier, although unfortunately I don't think this earthquake relates to any volcanic activity. I pray for a Rainier lahar on a daily basis though.

If a large earthquake (think 1700 quake) occurs in the PNW, lots of hipster degenerates will be flattened by falling highrises, crushed under the rubble of their cardboard apartments, or memed on in the tsunami.

America can't be redeemed by a single disaster. It'll likely increase rent and make life harder, as poor people are relieved of what remains of their wealth during such a disaster.

Your mom sounds like a cunt.

This quake was nothing. Stop reeeing.

I was in a school portable during the nisq 6.8. That was slightly concerning. And even then that was not a big deal. And that is more than 2 worse on A LOGARITHMIC SCALES.

Seriously anyone making any big deal over something less than 6.0 neads to learn to stop making mountains out of molehills.

i slept right through this faggy earthquake

as a coastal seattle resident i agree

>transpressional
Fucking blue states. Even their geology is gay.

Well transpressional describes basically everything in between a strike-slip or deformation that can't be categorized as either. Pic related is a notable example.
Also the use of "trans" in literature came first, which is where the terms trans gender and cis gender came from. A similar example would be trans isomer and cis isomer.

Attached: I sexually identify as a reverse fault hanging block.jpg (320x320, 21K)

Slept through it. 4.3/10.

Is there a legend? Tv means... tertiary volcanics? I wonder how severely destabilized tertiary and quaternary sediments in western WA would be by a major earthquake? An earthquake followed by a tsunami/lahar/storm event could basically render every single steep hill vulnerable to a mass wasting event.

Eastern Wa here. We had two 2.0 quakes this morning just east of vantage. Very unusual.

It is spreading.

What's the census on the Cascadia subduction zone? Is it ready to go off and if it does could it also trigger eruptions?

Attached: crater lake.png (348x272, 128K)

>Tv means... tertiary volcanics?
Yep.
>I wonder how severely destabilized tertiary and quaternary sediments in western WA would be by a major earthquake?
Well I doubt there are any tertiary sediments in any significant amount in Washington State, but yeah this amount of qal is a pretty big concern for any earthquake-prone area (especially since many buildings in the area aren't designed to survive large earthquakes).
>An earthquake followed by a tsunami/lahar/storm event could basically render every single steep hill vulnerable to a mass wasting event.
Well that's if a fuckload of things combine at the same time. An earthquake alone would cause some spooky slumps on all those steep suburban hills down south.

I wouldn't be surprised if that earthquake shifted enough stuff around to give those old faults in the east a shove. I think "spreading" is hyperbolic.

>census on the Cascadia subduction zone
What's that supposed to mean? Did you mean consensus? That's pretty vague too. A consensus is that it is a subduction zone and it exists.
>Is it ready to go off and if it does could it also trigger eruptions?
Well that's a pretty normie question but I'll take it since someone is actually asking a question.
By "go off" I assume you mean "big fucking earthquake". Nobody knows if it'll go off, but a megathrust from the JDF or something wouldn't cause a volcanic eruption; that's not how they work and they're completely unrelated. Volcanic earthquakes aren't really a threat since they're usually pretty tiny.

Attached: coyote.jpg (2048x1360, 543K)

Oh also I just realized that maybe you thought that what I assume is an intrusion of some sort was a sedimentary deposit. In case you did, it's not. Also, that earthquake was 28km down and surface characteristics had very little to do with it.

I remember that one i was in 1st grade that was a 6.8

Correction: Extrusive volcanic rock

Good, I hope the Big One comes and collapses my shitty third-story apartment, entombing my corpse beneath the rubble.

I live in the fine city of Everett. How based are the faults around me? Also if there was a 8+ on the cascadia fault how would it feel in the Puget sound region?

Also, Everett seems to sit on a massive deposit of glacial outwash and clay. Does this pose an increased risk? It seems to carry energy efficiently

It’s very unusual to have seismic activity out in eastern Washington. The quakes in California and now western Washington are clearly related to this.
They’re not big, it’s not dangerous but it is interesting because this is usually a very stable area.

>How based are my faults?
Ask your parents
>Cascadia megathrust
You would probably die. Like at least 10 MMI

It's not unusual following an earthquake like this west of the Cascades.

We can all dream user

Sorry, fucking boomertech didn't catch my typo. How well monitored are the volcanoes? From what I understand Glacier Peak's seismographer stopped working years ago.

Yeah funding for geological sciences is sparse everywhere, especially America (despite the fact that you guys have some of the most diverse and interesting geology on the planet).
I wouldn't know about the state of any seismometer on Glacier Point, but I'd imagine there are numerous gps/tilt sensors all around the mountain. With today's technology we don't really "need" to have a seismometer on the volcano and likely had the funding cut to fund jewish pedo jets. Generally speaking the important volcanoes (Rainier and friends) are watched pretty closely.

>was just looking into possibly moving to the pnw
>gets hit by an earthquake
I'm sorry.

Link to the WA discord if anyone is interested.
discord.gg/pCQFvU

>he doesn't want to live in a comfy mountain log cabin while he watches Seattle burn and drown
HA
Gun laws over there are pretty bad anyway, not the best place to be.

I don't really use discord, sorry. The only people who use those things are neets and retards from what I can tell.
Probably mostly seattleniggers and discord trannies anyway.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_Peak#Hazards
>A 2005 study conducted by the United States Geological Survey identified nine Cascade volcanoes, including Glacier Peak, as "very-high-threat volcanoes with inadequate monitoring". At the time of the study, only one seismometer was installed on Glacier Peak that had not "worked in two years".
That's what I was referring to. You're basically saying the government doesn't skimp on monitoring the volcanoes though which is good.

I will be just a bit east of that spot in Monroe out in the foothills on DNR land. should I look for spoopy cracks in the ground?

I'd love to buy a couple of acres up in the mountains somewhere and live in a cabin. That's why I even bothered looking in the pnw. But everything was either empty land that would need a bunch of money to make habitable, or a mobile home on an acre for 150k. I'll just keep living in the southeast for the moment being.

No your government definitely cheaps out on geologic research. On-site seismometers just aren't as important as other devices.
Lack of consideration of geological sciences causes numerous avoidable deaths in your country on a regular basis for the sake of cancerous growth and wealth accumulation.

I wish I could help but I don't have the math skills to get a geology degree and got fed up with college's bullshit after 4 years of community college. I'm working on IT certs now. Besides, there aren't a lot of jobs in geology where I live anyways.

We did? I didn't notice either.

I live in Portland will I be okay?

Hopefully not.

If you live in Portland you have bigger issues to worry about. I was hitchhiking through there a few years back and a homeless twelve year old tried to convince me to come back to his drug den. I'm assuming he intended to rob me of my gear.

Bainbridge Island checking in, I'm pretty sure there's a major fault line running through the bottom of the island, would that mean that I'd be pretty much dead in case of an earthquake?

Lack of geologists isn't really the problem. Also geology is mostly about spacial reasoning, not advanced mathematics.
And yes, American schools are terrible, but they're the best that the world has after the West shat on the rest of the developed world.
IT sounds like hell; I hope you have the courage to kill yourself someday.

Hopefully no.

Doubt anyone could've felt it.

Apparently you have to take calculus to get a geology degree in California. Fuck that.

Please I need a serious answer

Unfortunately no. It'd be cool if there were any though.

>Southeast
Literally anything is better than amerishit coontown

Being homeless in any of the West Coast cities sucks ass.
t. Used to be homeless in Seattle for a short while

Everyone is fucked during a megathrust. That being said, watch out for big boi waves and that predicted 1-2m vertical displacement of the SWIF

I wish normies would stop trying to talk about things as if they understand them.
People like you are the reason why geological sciences are a fucking joke in your country, and similar people are behind the terrible gun laws that are taking away your rights.

Mount Hood will fuck you and you might get hit by a tsunami if a megathrust quake happens but it's unrelated to what happened in WA.

my niggas, I was in second grade in the library trying to look up the librarians skirt as she was reading to us.

Alrighty then

I am so happy I have somebody to share this pain with.

Attached: 66893410_2385291608350554_7262656201362505728_n.jpg (720x960, 217K)

Well of course you need to know some calculus. It's not too painful.

1. You won't understand a "serious answer" in any meaningful amount
2. Your country has poor regard for the sciences
3. You're probably fucked in a megathrust but it depends

Science isn't a magical all-telling crystal ball like your corporate owners try to make you believe with their degenerate pop science garbage.

Yeah I'd be a lot more worried about some tall water than some shakey rocks if I lived in Portland

Gross, although the librarian was probably a whore if they were wearing something a child could look up.

You sound like a fag. Where in Portland? These smaller earthquakes increasing in frequency could be a sign of the cascadia subduction zone becoming more active, which if that one(the big one, estimated around 9.3+) happens then most of portland is sinking. A ton of the industrial area is built on shorelines, where spontaneous liquefaction is a concern. Basically, that big area will probably sink into the ground. That includes the portland fuel depot. In a quake as big as that, then most all the bridges in this side of the state might go down. Lots of buildings around here are not designed with earthquakes in mind at all, so lots of collapsed structures. Thats not even considering the tsunami that could be big enough to reach everything west of the I-5. Basically if cascadia happens anytime soon, then the pnw is fucked. I need to get to prepping, I wanna survive.

The trust fund commies will suffer and die first so it's not all that bad.
>Well of course you need to know some calculus. It's not too painful.
I failed intermediate algebra

PLEASE TELL ME SEATTLE IS GOING TO IMPLODE

C'MON EARTHQUAKE CHAN

>Basically if cascadia happens anytime soon, then the pnw is fucked
Why does everyone always forget about Spokane? We had a World's Fair for fucks sake.

I for one, am looking forward to having beachfront property.

I'm west, around beaverton

On the bright side, a big earthquake might give those city planners a second chance at fixing your infrastructure.

You got most things right except I'm not sure you understand how subduction zones work. They don't really "become active", since they're active forever until they die.
Also liquifaction risk and other shakey bois really depends on which plate fucks up. Tsunamis will definitely fuck over Portland though.

>trust fund
>communist
I don't think you understand one or both of those things.
Also if you failed algebra, I guess you were fucked from the beginning. Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately your country doesn't care for you.

Give her your meme energy

Nobody "forgot" Spokane. Nobody just likes to talk about it.
>beachfront
Climate change is already handling that for ya

You're not very well versed on American "commies" are you? They're a bunch of LARPers who live in the coastal cities on their parents' dime.

As someone in Oregon, does this activity in WA have any potential ramifications down here? Specifically central Oregon if that helps

nigga if the 3 sisters pop off we ALL DIE

Because Spokane isn’t culturally or geographically anything like what people mean when they say PNW. Once you get over the cascades you’re in the inland west which is basically the same from Idaho to North Dakota to northern Nevada.
-t. Eastern wa fag

Yeah it means you need to go back to California.

Americans tend to use retarded labels to make sense of their nonsensical politics, so I guess it doesn't surprise me.
The only communists in America are CIA honeypots and a handful of people scattered about. The United States barely even has a significant socdem population, and they're all cucks. I guess there are those anarchists but they haven't done anything meaningful but push American corporate interests.

Geology isn't limited by political boundaries.

Yellowstone*

When I think of PNW, I think of everything from Oregon to Montana.

Attached: 1558566007401.jpg (720x960, 92K)

Spare me the SJW bullshit. God only made two kinds of faults. Read the Koran.

i know its weird for yall who have never felt an earthquake before but wow 4.6 so scary. that was an aftershock in california yesterday. i was more concerned that my animu mango figures might fall off the shelf than oh no i'm going to die

There was a short thread about a government exercise planning out the response to a big PNW quake yesterday.

High points of that thread
>The Government has a plan. Its not a great plan.
>Coast and islands are a write-off.
>All planes in the US get used for the airlift.
>More then a decade to clear the debris.
>Gov is way better now then during Katerina.
>Army Corp of Engineers brings the ice.

Rainier should blow up like Pompeii and level Seattle. Then all the citizens of Washington state can all be free again.

I want the earthquake to destroy Amazon and flat the SLU area completely. i wanna afford rent

Attached: ulala.jpg (766x432, 43K)

From what I understand, out here in central Oregon, east of the Cascades, the most I'll be affected by any earthquake is having to deal with the influx of refugees. Portland is apparently due for a big earthquake too, from what I understand, and it seems to be massively under prepared.

will the earthquake cause you to have sex with a man?

Right, its a sword of Damocles, it's always been there. I'm just worried the increase in notable activity in the region be indicative of a larger shift.
Yep, its pretty much fucked. I live down in the I-5 area, I have to deal with people losing homes here from the quake and the refugees from portland and the coast. Our bridges may not survive though so the town I'm in might become an island.

Nice analogy

I think I'm too fucked in the head to ever date men anymore, but by some sheer miracle I could find a bf or something.

Yeah, just make sure you board up your home to defend against angry portland niggers banging on your door. Shoot them if they get too close in case they set your house on fire out of anger.

If an earthquake happens, rent will increase. Unfortunately the world doesn't work the way you think it does.

pic related

>The US government is unprepared to care for it's own people
shocker

Attached: 0923849-06235.png (404x600, 26K)

Yeah, and how before the exercise they suggested 3 days of food. After the exercise they beg people to have two weeks of food and water stored.

Holy shit I know what you're talking about I accidentally got stuck on one of those.
I dropped one of my friends off at that arcade place in Seattle, was originally going to drive around the block and pick him up again, but I turned the corner and viola, you're on the freeway and there's no turning back for the next 20 minutes. Got alot of people pissed at me for that.

Attached: 1543186277874.jpg (550x549, 42K)

Literally. Same shit in San Francisco. They moved up and took this idea with them.

link?

> god killing commies

I see this as an absolute win!

> JDF

I knew those hook nosed bastards were behind this

cool larp OP, should take it to /x/ they'll eat this shit up

>God fucking damn who designed this shit.

Welcome to the leftist paradise.

Borther, I cant math either

Attached: 66449757_2413834542037741_8000366312473755648_n.jpg (720x346, 27K)

Most commies are trustfund kiddies you fucking retard larper

Well I think you're just misinformed about politics as a whole. Most communists I know are basically the opposite.

>JDF
Juan De Fuca*
IDF is the kike one

Attached: hgjjpio659ky.jpg (752x1063, 151K)

why are you people so bad at driving?

Here you go
desuarchive.org/k/thread/42016661/