Would it be stupid to carry a 5.56 rifle with a 7.62 rifle...

Would it be stupid to carry a 5.56 rifle with a 7.62 rifle? I know bolt action snipers carry a semi auto with them but what about designated marksmen? The 7.62 is more for pinpoint shots rather than suppression, but the 7.62 has a relatively similar ammo capacity and output potential to the 5.56. But is carrying two separate semi autos of two separate calibers mall ninja?

Attached: A8EA59C7-22D6-4802-AF7B-7AD09E996195.jpg (4032x3024, 2.42M)

If you plan on hiking any considerable distance, yes it's stupid.

Yes its stupid.

you could use a 308 upper and just throw it on your ar when you needed to be the dmr. But carrying additional ammo that no one else can use seems like a bad idea.

More than twice the weight for marginal benefits? Sounds like a great deal.

>308 upper on an AR-15

762x51?

I mean what was the og m16 calibered in?

.223 Remington.
The AR-10 and AR-15 are in no way the same gun.
You are not smart.

The point is that because .308 is longer than 5.56, you cannot just toss an AR10 upper on an AR15 lower and call it a day. This is, of course, completely ignoring the fact that the 10 is dimensionally larger than the 15 in every regard and the takedown pins would not line up IF there were a standardized AR10 pattern in the first place

Why did you even post?

holy fuck. it still amazes me when noguns post here

Next time you see a confession thread, read it, and realize those are the people you are arguing with on a daily basis.

What.

To be fair, I own a few guns and I shitpost in the confessions thread as a noguns just to watch the world burn from a closer angle.

>Would it be stupid to carry a 5.56 rifle with a 7.62 rifle
if we're talking about how much weight you could carry doing some quick math assuming you're going to carry a 7.62 rifle no matter what and you're choosing a light weight rifle like a XM177 for the 5.56 gun you would need to carry about 200 rounds of 5.56 in addition to your 7.62 load for it to make sense weight wise. Anything less than an additional 200 rounds of 5.56 you're better off just carrying more 7.62 ammo.

Yes it's kinda stupid nowadays. If you had a coice you could just have a shorter 308 gun and carry more ammo. Mount an offset or piggybacked micro red dot on your magnified optic and you can still clear rooms with it if you had to. Lots of guys rocked the EBR or M110 along with an M4 and a few mags in Iraq because they were stuck with the longer barreled guns and still wanted their M4 for CQB, but that age is over with the US wanting shorter DMR rifles so they can be more adaptive (short barrels still work fine at distance), and having their bolt guns in .300 winmag or larger.

The M16 was always chambered in 5.56. The AR10 was originally chambered in 7.62x51. Protip: and AR15 lower can't work with a 7.62x51 upper because the magwell is on the lower, and 7.62 mags won't fit in a 5.56 magwell. Post less, lurk more, and learn about guns more.

Attached: 1483800614939.jpg (640x640, 143K)

Hey now. Dont be a cunt. Think outside the box a little.

If i am not mistaken you can get a magwell convsersion kit. So you can shove 5.56 mags into your 308 lower. And you just get a 308 sized upper that is chambered in 5.56. Logically he can swap the upper for a real 308, and just remove the magwell conversion.

Fuck bud, im not no guns, its just early in some parts of the world fuck.

Our company sniper team routinely left the wire carrying more gats than there were people. The guy on the boltgun would carry it, the twenty or whatever amount of 7.62 he thought he needed, and then an M4 with a reduced load. In my mind it is absolutely retarded to bring battle rifle and an assault rifle together, but a 5.56 assault rifle with a boltgun is fine. A polymer stock bolty boy with a limited combat load of the heavier 7.62 isn't a huge deal in the scope of things

Other way around. Convert a ar-10 down to 5.56 with a magwell conversion and have a seperate upper for 308.

You could just get a .223 adaptor for the AR-10.

>Snipers carry both guns because they have to, if they get into a gunfight moving between positions you're going to have a bad time with just a bolty boi. Additionally, at worst snipers operate in two man teams meaning you can share some of the extra load.
>Making shots past 500yards isn't exactly the easiest thing to do, assuming you can even id a target. This coming from someone who grew up hunting deer and having to take them at up to 800yards being fairly common.

If you are going for a DMR sort of role then just run a straight 7.62 rifle with a LPVO or RDS+Magnifier. Make room for 9 magazines (8+1 in rifle) on your carrier/belt/pack which leaves you with the same round count as dudes running 5.56, albiet more size and weight. If you want the extra capabilities of 7.62 you're going to have to suck it up. Personally I run a RFB for this so I can save on OAL while retaining barrel length and the ability for CQC.

>Or you can simply just run a 5.56 for the same role, you lose some range and power but gain magazine compatability with your bros and shed some weight.

This here answers the question, thanks user

>carrying two rifles
Stop getting all your gun knowledge from video games.

>you could use a 308 upper and just throw it on your ar when you needed to be the dmr.

ITT: noguns advising other noguns.

AR15 magazines will fit in an AR10 magwell.

Carry a mk12

No you can't

You are mistaken

No they won't you down syndrome tard

you still didn't answer the key question
> fuckin why

> hey carl I believe we're about to see an influx in targets in ranges between fiftey and hundred fiftey meters
> take your gun apart and insert an unrelaiable converter device that only provides marginal benefit
> yeah, do it now, dude

Does that work in Call if Duty?
Oh wait, we’re talking about real guns?

Attached: Babby’s First AR-15.jpg (750x557, 72K)

In what scenario would you take cover, start taking down your gun to change the upper. Pull out mags from your bag and then start shooting the bad guy, at that point a scout rifle would probably make more sense, and scout rifles are memes.

>Would it be stupid to carry a 5.56 rifle with a 7.62 rifle?

Yes. A 16 inch 308 is perfectly fine for sniper work, and you can still engage targets across the street