Hello fom noFunLand

Hello fom noFunLand.
Since the government is going to make acquisition of single shot black powder weapons a fucking hassle, I decided to quickly grab one before it's too late.

This little thing arrived today and made me wonder:

How did they carry percussion cap derringers like these for self defense?
Sure, the powder and ball would be loaded before you leave the house but what about the percussion cap? Did they put it on and then leave the hammer on half cock? Wouldn't it fall off then?

Attached: server.jpg (600x600, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gogun.de/product/two-shot-bolt-pistol-for-self-defense-incl-handpump/
youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XNWeMqCT0
youtube.com/watch?v=9r2AJ2OYpDw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

presumably just put the cap on the nipple and then gently lower the hammer down onto the cap.

I thought about that but this would probably be pretty unsafe, wouldn't it? I mean sure, back then I presume no one gave a fuck but still.

You could make a holster that prevents the hammer from coming into contact with the percussion cap.
Hell, make it a brace of pistols.

Attached: DerringerMeryl.jpg (1401x1049, 266K)

That would probably fuck up a fast draw and you would get caught in the holster with the hammer and slamfire once it's freed.

They would carry it at half cock. It is kinda sketchy, so if you can, get a percussion revolver, and then carry it with the hammer down on an empty chamber.

>How did they carry percussion cap derringers like these for self defense?
half cock, which is incidentally what your mother called me before i was bullied out of the house

Interesting, got a source by chance?
>Revolver
Haha, already need a license to even own that, no matter if it's blackpowder or not. And even then, I wouldn't be allowed to carry it.
>Carrying
I can't even carry the thing in the OP. I am not even allowed to buy nor own the powder for it (ammo and caps are (still) free to acquire though).

Archery?
Slings?
Sling-shots?
Crossbows?
Atlatl?

>Archery?
>Slings?
>Atlatl?
Slings and Bows are free to acquire and carry at any age. Atlatls too.
>Crossbows?
Legal to acquire at the age of 18, illegal to carry
>Slingshots
Like bows/slings but I don't know about carrying.

Where do you live?

If slingshots are legal to carry, there are some that use the bottom of the grip for striking.
Slings are pretty hard to learn, but you can make one out of a boot lace and throw whatever rocks or whatever are nearby. I guess you could also use it like a flail in a pinch.

Germany.
I know. I have sling and practiced a lot when I was 15-18 or so. But I don't even want to carry OP pic, I was just curious about the history because the percussion caps are so finnicky.
For self defense I practise running the fuck away because the Merkelmen will be carrying shit I am now allowed to.

>now
not allowed to*

Is dog spray legal?
You know, in case of stray dogs.

Yeah I think it is.

Spray and run would be a good combo.

Does the trigger remain folded at half-cock? If so, that's exactly how it was meant to be carried.

>Wouldn't it fall off
No. If your cap is loose on the nipple, either use smaller caps, or squish it a little so it's oval.

>Germany
gogun.de/product/two-shot-bolt-pistol-for-self-defense-incl-handpump/

But how would you even use it without black powder? Or can you just use some substitute? I saw a video once where the gun blew up with NC gun powder but I think if you just use 50% powder and 50% flour or some shit the pressure should not be enough to blow the gun up.

>just use 50% powder and 50% flour or some shit
Yeah, have fun with that.

Why the fuck did that bitch carry like 500 derringers

>470€ for a two-shot pistol with around 70 joule
>The .25ACP has around 90
I don't know about that one, chief.

>Does the trigger remain folded at half-cock? If so, that's exactly how it was meant to be carried.
Yeah, it only unfolds at full cock.
>>Wouldn't it fall off
No. If your cap is loose on the nipple, either use smaller caps, or squish it a little so it's oval.
Nice, thanks.

If I want to be a good boi I acuire a 5year license for 500€ (~530$). But to just shoot it I can just go to a shooting range where they fire with blackpowder guns and shoot there.

If I want to be an idiot and a bad boi I could homebrew some shit but I heard too many scary stories about blown off hands so I will refrain.

Will it blow up even if you only fill it half with non-black powder?

Rule of cool.

Black powder is more or less one thing, with the only major variation being the granulation size, and thus surface area.
Smokeless powder comes in scores of varieties with widely varying characteristics. There's no rule of thumb possible here.

It wasn't too uncommon back in the day. Blackbeard carried 6 of them.

I wouldnt worry too much about homemade black powder, the easiest stuff to make is weaker than the substitutes available on the market. Look into making some with "stump remover" or "potassium nitrate" but I think that might be hard to find in germany. Many BP guns made recently can handle way more than you would normally load. If you half filled a barrel from Traditions or Uberti with black powder the stock would break before the barrel does. Do not try anything smokeless or nitroglycerin based, even a load as small as 10 grains could completely fuck your gun. Btw you can make percussion caps with matchboxes and foil.

Attached: 62540748_2204573479854761_308851729615552512_n (1).jpg (480x853, 97K)

Goog to know! The thing is, if the police for whatever reason ever finds out you're fucked for life. By law you'd basically be a bomb maker. And since i have a goverment job I'd lose that one too.

The thing with the matches+foil percussion caps souds nice though. Although I bought a 1000 box for 40 coins, that will porbably serve me a life time.

Damn thats unfortunate. This is what happens when retards use smokeless powders in a percussion gun.
youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XNWeMqCT0
Is there any legal way for you to get BP, bp substitutes, or make your own? The DIY stuff may be cheaper in some cases but weaker.

>Is there any legal way for you to get BP, bp substitutes
Yea, you need to get the license which
>only lasts for 5 years
>costs 500 bucks
>need to pass backround check and a knowledge test

>make your own
Probably completely out of question. Then you'd probably need industrial allowance license or some shit.

>vid
Darwin smiles

Bows and the like typically don't need that high of energy since they slice through targets. It's less force, sure, but applied to a razor edge vs, say, a pistol bullet which is blunt by comparison.

>Hello fom noFunLand.Since the government is going to make acquisition of single shot black powder weapons a fucking hassle, I decided to quickly grab one before it's too late.

For black powder pistols in the UK you need a section 1 FAC. Enjoy your 5 years. Unless of course you are some arse tying to fuck things up for legitimate antique collectors and its an antique for which I sincerely hope you get caught with it loaded and get more than five years just for pissing around with other peoples hobbies and lively hoods.

SUPER unsafe BUT that goes for revolvers and stuff well beyond that point too. Drop safe firearms is a 20th century thing.

>not reading the thread
>thinking there's only one noFunLand

>caps are (still) free to acquire though
You can have fun shooting wax bullets with only the percussion cap.

man if you're getting a single shot blackpowder gun get a .75 caliber tower pistol not that dinky little thing

I guess this is black powder general now

Anyone have any opinion on Indian made musket repros? A lot of boomers say they're pipe bombs, yet I've seen other people claim that's bullshit, and one video where some zoomer shot a bunch of proof loads through his without any issue at all.

Where does the truth actually lie?

don't you germans get a pass for that kind of thing on 'cultural grounds'?
youtube.com/watch?v=9r2AJ2OYpDw

gay looking plackpowder boeller with cartoon proportions?

That was kind of cool, in an autistic way.

You can order the air ringer now.
Please order me one too??! I'll pay you $50 extra....seriously put together a group buy on reddit people in the US want them and Jeorg doesn't seem too interested in finding a US distributor

Attached: 58654683_2164288306992693_4690394923373953024_n.jpg (960x719, 61K)

where do I get one of these in the US?

If you want an actual antique, see gunbroker, simpsons, etc.
I think the one in OP's pic is the Pedersoli repro.
If you want a broadly similar "boot pistol" without the folding trigger, you can build one from a kit, search for "new orleans ace".

what is this?

This picture is so cool even if it's a stupid concept.

Anti vampire pistol. Turns out Jones was 100% correct and we are being controlled by demonic vampires.

You forgot that the inventor initially said it would be no more expensive than 250-300€. And despite the 470€ price tag, the body itself is of fucking ABS. Not steel, aluminium or polymer, but ABS, the same shit they use in airsoft guns.

Get a CNC, or a drill press, they're very easy to get now user, learn how to make arts and crafts. The boog knows no borders.

>not polymer
>but ABS

Attached: retard.png (606x224, 37K)

>How did they carry percussion cap derringers like these for self defense?
Load it, and put plenty of grease or some kind of cap on the chambers/barrel.
Percussion cap on and half cock, it's not particularly safe by today's standards but it's not excessively dangerous either. And no, percussion caps rarely just fall off.

THE AIR RINGER like I said holy shit can you fucking read

I don't know why European countries suddenly went full retard over black powder guns of all things. I haven't seen any terrorists wielding muskets around.

Is it possible to import pre-1899 firearms from the US without any paperwork hassle? I need to make it pre-1890 though, because it will not be permit free in Binland otherwise.

model rocket engines senpai

Move to America please. We will welcome all aryan immigrants with open arms.

OP I used to do reenacting and our percussion caps wouldn't fall off, even on horseback.
What you have to do is squeeze the cap a good bit so its not perfectly round anymore. Then you push it on the nipple and tension should hold it on, even at a gallop.

>Pedersoli repro
Thanks user, that looks like the ticket. I just want something fun and impractical to shoot, so I'll save the antiques for anons who appreciate them.

>Where does the truth actually lie?
in zero quality control and trusting your face staying in one piece to how a sweaty brown man felt the Monday he made it.

>zero quality control
How do you figure that? If there were real issues there, wouldn't we hear about these things blowing up?

I'm thinking it's less "it will blow up" and more "are you willing to risk your face for $200"

it's nigh impossible for any properly loaded muzzle loader to blow up, even shit like brass guns work. if ball goes down ball will come up, boom is stronger than ramrod and action-hole can relieve pressure in a pinch without KB.

There's lots of less catastrophic failures that might injure you though.

good thinking
Also just make a pipe gun and get some shotgun shells

This. And a 3D printer and a manual lathe. Plenty of G Code and Print files on the internet to download. After you drop $15k on your gear and you've got a heap of steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, and polymer filament lying around, you'll probably never think of going into a gun store again.

Attached: 1562875433081.jpg (540x338, 78K)

That's the question, am I actually risking my face? Is a hipoint pistol meaningfully more likely to injure it's user than some 1,200 dollar racegun 1911?

>lot less catastrophic failures that might injure you though
Could you elaborate on these, and perhaps why they would be more likely with Indian made muskets as compared to others?

Airringer pistol. It's pneumatic and it fires two darts (one at a time). German weapon laws say that as long as the dart goes over the barrel instead of inside of it the thing qualifies as a "toy."

Dude. Saltpetre from urea, charcoal, and sulphur. Shit's been around for a while.

Buy raw ingredients for black powder. Stockpile powdered potassium nitrate or saltpeter, charcoal and sulfur. Learn to mix. Friend of mine and I would mix up batches way back in the 70's as school kids. We also made contact explosive using iodine and another substance, but I can't recall the details.

that shit's way more controlled than black powder.

Personally I think it should be fine. Just use lighter loads if you want to stay on the safe side. I hear lots of stories about guns blowing up but never anything to back it up, but on the other hand there are no guarantees either.

>only six

Attached: HOLY_SIGMAR_BLESS_THIS_RAVAGED_BODY.jpg (375x500, 32K)

Just the manual mill and lathe will allow you to make plenty of things, 3d printers are neat but I instinctively do not trust layered fused plastics to contain explosions near my face

Amen. The whole point of 3D printers is prototyping, not production. And people can build amazing things with just sheetmetal and wire springs, no fancy machines required.

>he thinks the EU governments are concerned about terrorists

If a barrel has not been proofed by a known proofinghouse, or you suspect the proofmark is a forgery, then proof it yourself. Use a lanyard to fire a double load (double bullet) from behind cover. If it pipe bombs, you were behind cover. If there are no signs of metal fatigue, it is safe to use with normal loads.

It's time to get back to basics.

Carry a quarterstaff. Learn traditional medieval quarterstaff fighting.

It's just a walking staff. Doubt they could arrest you for it. And a quarterstaff is a very useful self defense tool.

If every law abiding citizen carried a quarterstaff there'd be a lot less muggings.

Yes but sheet metal requires having a bend brake and getting your bends x distance apart while taking into account the thickness of the material without the tolerances stacking up is a bit of an art
Far easier for the novice to just use the readout on a mill/lathe and go until they see the number they want

But those were full sized pistols.
Or am I gorgetting something?

Best part about this is you could EASILY 3d print molds for casting made-to-fit stamping dies & bending brake functional parts.

I'm not in germany but in a EU country so I can assume that those are similarly restricted to ours. Where I live you would be required by law to have a storage space that meets a long list of requirements (50 m from anything flamable, a lock that is classed to certain specs, not situated in or x amounts of meters to a residencial area and so on and so forth) and a licens wich alows you to handle SS rocket fuel (Usually costs a pretty penny because it is niche and if you do anything stupid your educator is legaly equaly to blame). LS is less so but it is harder to find other uses for. You can but there are easier ways.

I know this may be a hard concept for you to grasp so sit down, take a few deep breaths, settle your mind, and read this next sentence carefully.

Anime is not real.

Caps won’t fall off if they’re the proper size. Get an aftermarket nipple (traditionally called a cone) and use the proper brand and size of cap the nipple is made for. Makes them a lot less finicky.

They’re both. Depends of the manufacturer and the batch. If you insist on buying one I’d look for a seller that drills the holes and proofs them in house.

Most of them aren’t shot very often. A lot of the use they do see is firing blanks for re-enactments.

IIRC the prototype AK-47 used a stamped and bent lower receiver but Soviet manufacturing wasn’t capable of replicating it on a mass production scale. They instead went with an easier milled receiver until the AKM.
Ironically now people without the capacity to mill receivers cut and bend them in their garage.