SKS ejection issues related to rear sight

Hey all. Recently purchased a Norinco sks with ati folding stock. Long term plan to rebuild it back into classic wood. Took it out to the woods today. It wouldn’t feed. The bolt was not going back at all. Had to to use it like a bolt action to run through a few. Then noticed something (pic related). The rear sight (locking brace?) was loose. It would not go down even with force applied. Took off the top hand guard and noticed part of the metal worn down and then saw that the little folding gate on the rear sight block is partially chewed as well. The only way I could successfully run a mag was by holding the sight locking brace up and forward to allow the rod to come back. Surely this is common, wondering what is the best solution. Pics to follow.

Attached: 5977D15C-7AAC-417D-A38C-15923B2B7293.jpg (2048x1536, 622K)

Attached: 984317C8-FDA7-4286-B7A6-73FCFE166E2D.jpg (2048x1536, 458K)

Attached: 684928DB-5A63-44DD-9289-A5C5FE5243EA.jpg (4032x3024, 2.17M)

...that lever is what holds the gas tube in.

>surely this is common
Either factory QC was terrishit, the gun has been through literal hell, or the previous owner(s) were fucking with it.
Sounds like the piston is obstructed. Most probably alignment issue since you had to lift the locking lever in order to allow rod to move. Take out rod and lock everything back in. Either use a mirror and light or feel your way through the whole channel.

This you moron. You needed to move the gas tube a little to push it down. I was going to ask if you've ever even disassembled a SKS before but you clearly have.

you fucked up user, lord knows what bubba did to that rifle
post pics of gas tube and retaining latch. we might be able to help you

Here’s where the latch meets with the gas tube. There is significant contact between the two. The gas tube will not go any lower to allow the latch over top.

Attached: F3837D17-7A0A-4F84-B4CF-B536C48EDD6B.jpg (4032x3024, 1.61M)

Btw the bore is in near pristine condition, so this rifle hasn’t seen much action. Shouldn’t be much cause for this type of problem unless it is factory related. This is my first SKS. Still learning the platform.

Try lowering the lever while squeezing the handguard down, might just be a little tight. Worst case scenario you might need to just polish up some surfaces until it can clear it.

Adjust the latch so the "block" is straight and it will go further.

Attached: D6101B79-B613-4754-8E4A-F11C082B8849.jpg (4032x3024, 1.71M)

Can you clarify what the “block” is in this case?

Raise the lever a tiny bit higher, but not past the upper detent. The camming surface should be vertical, and the gas tube should be pretty easy to pop down.

move the latch. Do you see the piece of metal that moves with it? Adjust it so it lines up with the other surface and push down.

Chrome barrels don't show age much.

Polished up the pieces with steel wool, lubed them up. Thanks.

Did this, pushing down on the lever with a flathead. It popped right in. Pic related is the result.Will head out tomorrow morning to see if it runs. Will post results.

While I have you all here: once I get a Chinese stock and all the parts, will it still accept the 10rd original mags? Is there any conversion needed? Looks like all they did was carve out a larger section in the stock to allow the duckbill mags to fit. Curios on any snags I might encounter with retrofitting.

Attached: 2CD4E4B4-037B-4040-8B76-0DEFE6685F9B.jpg (4032x3024, 1.72M)

The stock mag is held in by the trigger group and a little notch at the bottom of the barrel. Stock shouldn't matter, especially if it's a stock stock.

Been a minute since I looked at SKS bubbaing, but I think yes. You should definitely buy the original wood furniture though.

The latch is still very loose, most likely will be shaken upwards by live fire. Should I try pushing on the lever inwards (have seen some videos with this) to increase the tension? Not much there at the moment.

It should lock all the way in at the bottom detent and require a punch to pry back out. The camming surface should be diagonal over the end of the gas tube when it's locked. Your gas tube doesn't look all the way down yet by your pic, but kinda hard to tell. I say try to rock it down some more with the lever back up where it was, then lower the lever back until it snaps in place.

Been trying to lock it in. This is the best it has gotten so far. And that is locked into the lower detent. If this doesn’t work tomorrow, I’ll drop by the local gunsmith and have him give the once over.

Attached: E5EF85A0-06D7-40B8-B1C7-39869D47A9CF.jpg (4032x3024, 1.19M)

Stock legit doesn't matter, you can put the magazine onto the gun without a stock at all and it'll still go on and function just fine.

That thing's been really dinged up. Looks like somebody's been gouging at it with a screwdriver. Not sure that's your problem, but anybody stupid enough to do that is probably stupid enough to leave a burr or something on the underside keeping it from snapping all the way down.

Seen some people elsewhere saying to grind the metal down with a file, but if I have to do that.. then there is something larger wrong than excess metal.

If anything it looks like not enough metal to me, at least on top. Gunsmith or new parts might be the way to go, but it is slavshit, nothing wrong with continuing to mess with it, just try not to scratch it up any worse.