What does Jow Forums use to protecc their ears? I can spend if there is a definite increase in quality

What does Jow Forums use to protecc their ears? I can spend if there is a definite increase in quality.

Attached: ears.jpg (1000x739, 138K)

Other urls found in this thread:

earplugstore.com/peltor-skull-screws-noroll-foam-earplugs-c1.html
remembereverything.org/my-top-6-noise-blocking-earmuffs-review/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Here's what I've got, not the best, but being able to talk without having to yell is really nice.

Attached: SmartSelect_20190714-230529_DuckDuckGo.jpg (1080x1233, 381K)

comtacs

Allen 33dB foam earplugs

Either some standard reuasble earplugs or some cheap M3 reactive muffs, depending on how fucked my eardrums are feeling, I have some serious problem with changes in preasure since youth (I almost go deaf when flying) and good pluggs create too much of a preassure differential at times so I use my plugs when I can and muffs when I cannot.

Anyone use these? How are they? Is there something better out there?

Attached: earprotection.png (1405x689, 396K)

>Anyone use these?
tons of people
>How are they?
pretty bad
>Is there something better out there?
comtacs

>NRR: 22
>sound amplification
Kind of redundant. Grab a pair of $2 silicone plugs with an NRR of 29.

How much improvement in protection would you get if you combine a 22 NRR headset with a ~30 NRR earplug? Doubt it would be a straight up ~52 NRR reduction.

I have them, they're not that great but they'll save your ears from most shit, you can put earplugs underneath them as well if it's not enough.

Peltor X5A for pistol shooting indoors, for outdoor rifle and shotgun i use MSA Sordin with in ear plugs.

The X5A costs 35USD and gives you 37-42db in the frequency range that matters most.

Attached: s.jpg (275x183, 8K)

No that it is not how it works.
23 DB on a headset is fucking pathetic when you can get 30 db headsets and 33 nrr ear plugs. Which is a 36 db reduction.

what about electronic headsets? are there any that will get that level of reduction? I'd like to go without earplugs and hear other people but if earplugs are what it takes to get to a really solid level I'll just go with a regular headset.

Peltor Tactical 300's

Attached: Backrange3.jpg (1434x982, 833K)

Yes, I have Impact Pros
remember to put your ear pro above the muffs as with any other headset

earplugstore.com/peltor-skull-screws-noroll-foam-earplugs-c1.html

Attached: bitches leave.jpg (768x432, 20K)

>How does NRR change decibels of exposure?
When hearing protection is worn, your level of exposure to noise is based on the NRR rating of the protection device being used. Keep in mind, however, that while the NRR is measured in decibels, the hearing protector being used does not reduce the surrounding decibel level by the exact number of decibels associated with that protector’s NRR. For example, if you are at a rock concert where the level of noise exposure is 100 dB and you are wearing earplugs with an NRR 33dB, your level of exposure would not be reduced to 67 dB. Instead, to determine the actual amount of decibel deduction applied (when decibels are measured dBA which is the most common), you take the NRR number (in dB), subtract seven, and then divide by two. Given the previous example, your noise reduction equation would look like the following: (33-7)/2 = 13. This means that if you are at a rock concert with a level of noise exposure at 100 dB and you are wearing a hearing protector with an NRR 33 dB, your new level of noise exposure is 87 dB. If you are wearing a product with an NRR of 27 it would deduct 10 decibels (27-7/2=10).
>How does wearing dual hearing protectors change NRR?
When hearing protectors are worn in combination (i.e. earplugs AND earmuffs), rather than adding the two NRR numbers together, you simply add five more decibels of protection to the device with the higher NRR. For example, using 3M™ E-A-R™ Classic Earplugs (NRR 29) with 3M™ Peltor™ H7 Deluxe Earmuffs (NRR 27) would provide a Noise Reduction Rating of approximately 34 decibels.

Got a pair as a gift and they fucking suck. I may just have a weird shaped head but they never feel like they make a very solid seal (recoil from an AR just about jostles them enough to break it) and their noise reduction with or without the mic going is noticably less effective than the normal HL muffs.

so basically if you are shooting a 300 winchester mag (lets be conservative and say 160dB), you are fucking with your ears even if you double stack ear protection

160dB blast
32NRR earplugs
30 nrr earmuffs
total NRR 37

(37 - 7)/2 = 15
So you'd still be exposing yourself to 145db with each trigger pull

Looking this up, that is plenty to permanently damage your ears each time you fire the gun

Am I overestimating the gun blasts here? Why the fuck aren't more people going deaf immediately?

Are you right next to the barrel when this is happening? Think about that for a second.

I mean no, obviously not. And one ear is probably better shielded than the other. But still.

I guess, has anyone been able to figure out what level of hearing protection is needed to basically totally protect your ears whole shooting regularly sized firearms?

From the maths provided it seems like double stacking ear protection still just barely provides enough coverage for serious firearms. But you'll probably still see damage.

theres no way to stop the concussive wave, the loud blast inst the only the fucks up your ears, suppresor + doubling up on ear pro helps but eventually theyll get damaged.

>Why the fuck aren't more people going deaf immediately?
Decibels are not the only factor in measuring noise. You also need to factor air pressure to get the sound pressure. The ratings are taken at the muzzle and the pressure diminishes rapidly from the point of origin. That's part of why it's considerably less pleasant at an indoor range when someone whips out a 45.

My nugguh. X5a is the best I've used. Can't beat it doubled up with plugs

>The X5A costs 35USD and gives you 37-42db in the frequency range that matters most.

Just looked it up and it says 31dB. Is there more info I'm missing here?

straight up, threads like this keep me coming back. never knew all this stuff

Attached: 1505614627812.gif (202x360, 1.84M)

user posted a chart with the effectiveness based on different frequencies in a thread a few days ago. I didn't save it, but at the frequency of a gunshot, it will give that level of protection. Across all frequencies, the average level of protecion is 31.

remembereverything.org/my-top-6-noise-blocking-earmuffs-review/

this?
godamn, I'm impressed. If those wouldnt fuck up a cheek weld I'd be all over them. Have you tried them with a rifle?

I too use these, but I have noticed the foam has become less supportive

Dunno I didnt do the research, just relayed it. But is right. You can fuck up your ears with pressure changes. That's probably worse than high decibels, but gunshots are both combined. I also read somewhere that there's a definite maximum NRR. Like you could put shit on your ears that'd block all noise and low end frequencies will still get through your skull.

womens tampons in my ears

W H A T ???

Honestly, I exclusively shoot at pistol ranges because that is what is most convenient for me. I have tried them out with a 10/22 and mossberg 500 and i was still able to get a cheek weld. Amazon reviews also suggest that people can still get a good cheek weld.

I'm fucking fascinated with this mystery of why don't frequent shooters have severe hearng loss if noise attenuation is so mediocre. There are so many factors.

I think it absolutely has to be pressure and the noise dissipation from the muzzle to the ears themselves. Even with really good noise reduction, with the (x - 7)/2 equation, people should be deafening themselves really quickly with legit rifle cartridges if 140dB is where immediate damage starts.

Attached: 1499707450455.png (512x556, 334K)

can i use 32 acp fmj bullet as earplugs? will it work?