Long Distance Rifle

Checked the sticky and the archives, looking to round out my collection for any situation. What is the best rifle/caliber for the 500+ yard shot Jow Forums?

Attached: 1529031477737.jpg (685x572, 281K)

What are you trying to a accomplish at 500 yards? Just punching paper or do you need more terminal effect?

what is your most capable long range rifle right now? Id start there and learn to work ballistic calcs, handload, accurize a rifle, buy a reliable tracking ranging reticle optic, and rangefinder, and most importantly have a place to shoot that far.
Long range is exceedingly difficult and expensive to get into and without the goodies and knowledge of where to start. will cost even more through wasted time and trial and error of lobbing bullets to no gain in skill or application.

Get a Tikka in 300WinMag but only if your IQ is high enouth for reloading and learning

Attached: 5b76fe0714a3dc45b2f4184f0da451aa-imagejpeg.jpg (500x335, 52K)

Accuracy on paper, with a reasonable option of taking down medium to large game.

I don't have anything that will reach out at the moment, thus the inquiry. I have an elderly Mosin but the bore is shot out and it is largely a museum piece (1915 Ishevsk).
Would something in the .30-06 or better class reach out that far? My father used to be able to hit a 3'x3' target at 350 yards on a small hill with a bubbaed 8mm Mauser he bought after the service.

What a ridiculously vague question

there is not a best it all depends on what you are going to do with it

Nothing less than 416cheytac will do.

Attached: Shampoo Kiss of Death.gif (450x340, 1.44M)

Do you have a free float ar15 you can use? It can be a cheaper route you upgrade from once you know what youre doing.
The short cheap answer that would work
>savage 110 tactical
it's going to be about sub-moa, it has a thick barrel, it has an extra sling swivel you will mount a $100 harris bipod to.
>swfa fixed 10x in mil/mil or moa/moa your choice
old military contract scope. it's tough, has reliable tracking, has a good reticle, and is the cheapest optic worth a damn within $600.
>200 rounds federal gold medal match 308 in 175gr or 168gr for practicing. Save all brass you will be handloading these.
Theyre cheap, accurate in almost every rifle, are one of the few factory loads with a fairly temperature stable powder, are another old standard that are decent at range, and have good brass. The con is theyre shit for hunting. You will handload something like a 178gr ELDX or ELDM with your own temperature stable powder like varget among a few other good options.
>a rear sandbag
absolutely essential, anyone who doesnt use a rear support is a retard and you shouldnt take them seriously.
>a good rangefinder
several good options in $300 range, every rangefinder will have about 10-20% less practical range than advertised.
>a chronograph
essential to handloading AND using your ballistic calculator
>research proper form and how to use a hand filled in yourself ballistic calculator
You arent shit without either of these things and understand these thoroughly. print a few out for practice.

Long range shooting is a number game first, then a skill, then a measure of equipment but all 3 are required. If you learn these things the equipment list given will get you first round hits on vitals to 600 yards under most weather conditions reliably.

Most factory 30-06 is kind of crap for long range but you can do okay with it if you handload. Getting a proper rifle and knowing how to set it up is a lot more important than the tiny boost in velocity.

Not OP but is there any reason not to just buy a cheap $60 rangefinder on amazon for farting around at under 200 yards?

Never had one that cheap but Id imagine theyd work okay for at least some time. Cons might be breaking, being a little less precise, not picking up less reflective surfaces well like grass or dirt, and convenience of having something that works further should you ever want it for even non gun related tasks since sometimes it's neat to know how far things are. Even if I was just doing bow hunting Id want something reliable personally. It would be better than nothing though.

I think I'll get it, mostly I just wanted to spot my shots so I didn't have to keep running back and forth

wait, do you mean a spotting scope user?

308 bolt guns have no problem with 500+ yards and are the cheapest option. There's no real reason to go with anything else unless you want to spend too much and be a special snowflake.

There's a batch of good info, thanks Jow Forumsommando.
Screencapping and checking my bank balance...

Attached: Madoka.gif (500x281, 727K)

What would be the point of a rangefinder for that short of a distance? Assuming you are shooting a normal centerfire rifle that ought to be well within your point-blank zero. I can't see you needing range numbers unless you're, say, shooting pistol calibers or something like a field target airgun.

Thanks, I'll look into that too!

Attached: 1493414097664.jpg (494x622, 13K)

I should have also mentioned scope rings. Seekins has 7075 aluminum on midway for around $110.
Cheaper rings and those made of lesser materials will suffer binding in the optic and POI shifts due to weather. You should still get a scope ring accurizing kit but if you just cant the seekins will probably not need the kit anyway. Theyre normally what I suggest for budget. The low rings should be perfect but measure just in case.
Nicer steel are the best but expensive and noticeably heavier.

also that savage is a 308

Why the Savage 110 if one can get a CZ 557 Varmint for the price?

I'm putting together a new varmint build. Looking for suggestions on scopes. Looking for something that tops out around 20-25x. Budget is roughly 2k. Suggestions? My current frontrunners are Steiner T5XI and Nightforce NXS.

What kind of ammo do you use?

Whatever the gun will end up shooting best. I will be handloading.

Caliber is .22-250

Howa 1500 is one of the cheaper options. I can punch paper A4 at 500m reliably. Might want to get the free float chassis so your zero doesnt change as much with temperature and humidity. Mine in 308 has taken down white tails no problem at 300m but you might want more of a punch for larger game further away. 308 is a lot cheaper to stockpile than 300winmag or 6.5shitmore though.

Attached: IMG_20190531_131013.jpg (5248x2952, 2.05M)

Anzio 20

Attached: 1562268377191m.jpg (1024x518, 86K)

the NXS 5.5-22x56 is badass and should be right around your budget

Bergara B14 HMR
Burris XTR Signature rings
Samplelist SWFA SS HD 5-20x50
Or maybe a Vortex Razor 3-18x50 Gen2