Are modern anti-tank weapons by and large ineffective against modern tanks?

Are modern anti-tank weapons by and large ineffective against modern tanks?

Attached: index.jpg (281x179, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=y5xKCzdhAC8
youtube.com/watch?v=y5xKCzdhAC8
youtube.com/watch?v=B1yTb3vF35M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depending on how effective the newly-implemented APS packages on modern tanks are, maybe.

>depicted: a RPG7 firing a antipersonnel round

Gee whiz user, what do you think?

Ohnonononononononono
m.youtube.com/watch?v=y5xKCzdhAC8

No. An RPG took out an MRAP and it’s entire crew back in 09

sorry i just searched up rpg7 firing, i didnt take a close look at the photo itself, i was just reading on the siege of grozny and was wondering how much damage the rocket fire was able to inflict on the russian tanks

>MRAP
>Tank
user i....

>MRAP
>modern tank

They are in the same classification due to armor thickness and depleted uranium

Fucking moron

>glorified steel box
>modern tank
Fucking pick one. Next you're gonna tell me that crash ratings on cars are bullshit because "if they cant stop a bullet how can they survive a crash huh"

You're kind of a dick

>blowout panels functioning as designed after penetration from the side

Even in death, American technology is superior.

lmao

>armor thickness
Half a fucking inch of steel!?
>depleted uranium
You're completely fucking retarded. They dont have any form of composite armor at all.

So wrong and stupid and wrong.

How is the taste of lead-based paint these days

anything man portable capable of 1-shotting an abrams really can't be fielded in numbers by 3rd world adversaries.

I know, right? Morons here think the MRAP is not a tank just because it doesn't have tracks.

there was that weird as fuck 30 caliber penetration that went through the side skirts of that one abrams and stuck in the hull on the inside.

Not the russian ones.

youtube.com/watch?v=y5xKCzdhAC8

Yeah, I think that report got dumped in some Wikileaks thing a few months ago. Seemed to be some sort of edge-case EFP hit or something like that.

>the blowout panel is the crew hatch

seething mutt.

It was an early RPG29 hitting low.

Custard

Any reason to believe that beyond hearsay?

That was a direct hit to the rear engine bay. Any anti-tank missile or even an RPG can probably knock out any MBT on the battlefield with a direct shot to the rear engine bay.

As for ops question, some modern ATGMs like the Spike are capable of top-attack. After firing they climb to altitude then dive on the target. There's no tank on earth that can survive a direct hit from a top-attack ATGM.

MBTs are getting less and less useful as weapon systems advance. Some MBTs are essentially invincible along the frontal arc, but only the frontal arc. They're very vulnerable from every other direction. And you can't make a tank that's nigh invincible from every angle because then it would weigh 200 tons or more and be completely immobile.

The best hope for the continuation of the MBT as a viable weapons system is active point defense. Systems that can shoot down incoming missiles. With infantry ATGMs neutralized then the best way to knock out tanks would be with another tank firing conventional APFSDS rounds. Thus if active point defense becomes widespread we'll likely return to the paradigm of having both Tanks and Tank Destroyers. MBTs to spearhead the assault and highly mobile vehicles firing APFSDS to hunt enemy tanks.

I suppose the Stryker MGS with the 105mm could be pressed into service as a tank destroyer but the 105mm is going to be hard pressed to penetrate the frontal arc of a lot of modern MBTs.

In a war against a well equipped enemy with vehicles equipped with active point defense (not just sand farmers) I think that something like the 2S25 Sprut-SD would be an ideal vehicle to supplement the capabilities of MBTs. It's an air deployable amphibious lightweight (20 ton) tank destroyer armed with a derivative of the T-90's main gun.

I look forward to the day when the MBT and Tank Destroyer become the scary powerhouses they once were.

youtube.com/watch?v=B1yTb3vF35M

Sprey’s autism tank was right. Sprey.... always finds a way...

even if an individual weapon platform is not guaranteed to kill a tank on its own, they still prevent tanks from entering built up areas or dense terrain without support slowing down the entire advance rather than allowing a sweeping advance

likewise, even a small chance to destroy a tank is still infinitely better than no chance to do so, and is a huge boost to the effectiveness of the average trooper who would otherwise be stuck throwing insults at a tank

tanks will always be important simply because no other weapons system can provide direct fire support or perform cavalry action

Syria lost like literally 2,000 tanks against peasants with RPG's and ATGM's

>And you can't make a tank that's nigh invincible from every angle because then it would weigh 200 tons or more and be completely immobile.

I dunno why but you made me imagine some kind of fucking Command and Conquer turbo-bunker covered in APS and CIWS with some Abrams turrets slapped on each side. Just fly the bitch into a hot-zone with a "few" chinooks, drop it, and boom you got a redeployable MURDER-FOB

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Watch as 1970s soviet missile wrecks the shit out of M1.

Attached: 1562381697108.webm (1280x720, 2.79M)

I bet you’re fun at parties

tactics will always be the biggest determinor of casualties with tanks

poorly trained peasants with MBTs can and will experience far higher losses than a well trained force with M60s

Konkurs Bad Fur Day

Enjoy your M48s with 90mm guns fighting T-90s lmao

>1970s missile takes out 1970s tank
Whoa...

Old Soviet rustbuckets, now contrast that with the effect these same RPGs and ATGMs had on Israel's Merkava IV's with the Trophy APS - hundreds fired with a 0% success rate

I AM THE GREAT MIGHTY POO

I would drink a beer with anyone who knows their military shit.

>be arab
>drive your tank too far out
>get shot in the rear with an ATGM and explode

but it's the technology that's at fault here.

>his friends can't recognize an OG-7 from thumbnails

Get on my social level, user

>it's the fault of the driver
kek'd

Attached: 1540281783117.webm (1280x720, 1.42M)

it really is the crew

even outdated vehicles like the M60 can survive in a modern battle field when the crew use proper tactics and combined arms
the M60 is actually outperforming the leopard 2simply because the crew are better trained

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

>I look forward to the day when the MBT and Tank Destroyer become the scary powerhouses they once were.
Like this?

Attached: Mammoth tank.png (275x183, 93K)

the dumb hadji loader left the ammo doors open, thus negating the blowout panels and thus the flameup

>APS packages
and if they are turned on.
and if the electronics didn't somehow get shitcanned in the last FTX.
and if the sensors even work
and if the missile is fired at the right angle.

It's a penetration through the rear, not the side. And blowout panels mean shit when the penetrator hits from such an angle because it can easily pierce the ammo door.

>That was a direct hit to the rear engine bay.
No.

see above