Is irregular warfare still viable in 21st century or has the era of night vision...

Is irregular warfare still viable in 21st century or has the era of night vision, heat seeking missiles and air transport rendered them useless?

Attached: P1060705.jpg (922x692, 410K)

Other urls found in this thread:

navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2018/09/11/watchdog-report-the-latest-to-sound-alarm-over-military-aviation-readiness/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't seals get ambushed pretty regularly?

>seals

Bump

probably, I still see it happen during shark week

Guerrillas fighting a modern military will have to overcome the instinct that tells them they're safer in the dark. Fighting in the day will reduce the advantage of technology.

It's still possible. Network analysis is what made it harder, not infantry technology.

Anyone planning for this should be looking at concealable weapons that allow you to move among daytime crowds, preferably burners that can be ditched in case of checkpoints. Rifles may be of limited use in the boogaloo, at least at first.

>Has the era of night vision, heat seeking missiles, and air transport rendered them useless?
That exact era has made irregular warfare the standard.

Stop talking.

What's the alternative? Conventional warfare?

6/10 bait, you made me respond. Thanks for killing a thread.

fedposting

Attached: michelangelo.jpg (800x450, 73K)

Yeah completely usless. That's why afghanistan was over in months, the occupation of iraq went without a hiccup, and isis was a flash in the pan. You utter imbecile.

>Era of Night Vision

mfw Marines are still using PVS-14s from the fucking 90's. Can't speak for the other branches, I assume it might be a few years more advanced, lol.

>Heat seeking missiles and air transport
I was going to do them individually, but they go hand in hand, here's why:

navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2018/09/11/watchdog-report-the-latest-to-sound-alarm-over-military-aviation-readiness/

"[The study from 2011 to 2016] found that nine of 12 aircraft fell short of availability goals in 2016. Availability overall declined for half of the planes from 2011 to 2016."

To shoot heat seeking missiles generally, you have to shoot them from something that's flying, or at something that's flying. While the USMC has an excellent PR team, just keep an eye on the news for an aircraft crash, the osprey is a major killer due to it being absolute shit, but other perfectly functional aircraft have also crashed, C130 killing JSOC operators, UH1Y crash in florida killing Marines, these are rarely isolated, this is the result of every branches' airwing falling the fuck apart.

The government has technology, don't get me wrong. However, 99% of that is put into an aircraft or only gets in the hands of a few units, no more than 100 guys. Most are still using equipment and weapons from 10-15 years ago. The average person can get Night vision and thermal equipment for less than 4k now on amazon and the like. It's become extremely cheap as more people prep, the market has come up with cheaper solutions to sell more.

Lastly, the US military is comprised of people who are in it for the benefits. There is no more camaraderie higher than the squad level. There is no more patriotism in the military to the level at which you'd expect, as well as devotion to becoming deadlier. Most if not all military members are there for the GI bill chiefly, among other things.

>t. Ex-Marine (Who wishes that it was really something to be proud of, and what it maybe once was.)

Attached: 1557703072233.jpg (577x537, 36K)

Afghanistan is fucked because we never sent the proper amount of manpower to get the job done. Iraq was fucked for a long time because we never sent the proper amount of manpower until the surge, and ISIS no longer exists. Literally the only reason why insurgencies have been so effective in these wars and why tactics like IED's are so prevalent and effective is due entirely on the lack of boots on the ground to get the job done. All that matters in COIN is securing and holding civilian population centers...Not deploying a platoon of infantry in a COP on top of a hill with 100 KM sq of an area of operation with thousands of people living in said AO, expecting them to clear shit. IED's wouldn't even fucking exist if you send a proper sized invasion force that can actually secure and occupy.

Attached: ied_go_boom.webm (1280x720, 1.4M)

You actually have a lot of merit here. Im reading war of the flea right now and the biggest thing l see so far is the government cant control enough land and never sends enough men. They also never give the enemy a reason to stop fighting.

that stuff is for when you are fighting a war based on capturing and holding territory. not for when you send the legionnaires out to an imperial province.

Because it's a business first and foremost. You'd lose out on a lot of that war profiteering if it was a done deal within a year.

>the osprey is a major killer due to it being absolute shit
Things That Didn't Happen.jpg
It literally crashes less than anything else that flies on rotors. The Osprey's shittiness is LITERALLY nothing but a bad meme from teething problems in development. Do people still call the F-16 a widowmaking lawn dart? No, they fucking don't, despite killing just as many airmen as the Osprey killed Marines during development. And on top of the it took them a DECADE to crash a SINGLE F-35 and people want to cry about it being a brick that can't fly.

Absolute stupidity.

That is very true there isnt a lot of money in stopping a war. I forget who but l want to aay it was a german general in ww1. He said something like the greatest war crime is to let a war drag on and not finish it swiftly and by any means necessary. Be as brutal as you want but be extremely efficient

So an insurgency in the US would be swiftly and brutally put down? Assuming the military isn’t deserting in enough numbers to affect readiness, remember that the government essentially controls the media

Future is economic warfare

Every great tactician and strategist that has ever lived from Clausewitz to Sun Tzu has all said the same thing. War sucks, avoid it, and if you can't. Win it as efficiently and as soon as possible, no matter how violent it is. Because the measure of the cost of war is not by seeing how big a war is, but rather. How long a war is. That is the true way of figuring out the cost of war. If a situation calls for 100,000 men, send a million. Get in, get it done, and get the fuck out. The only problem is trying to justify that to the entire defense business and bureaucracy in our government that has been created solely to protect said business.

Attached: the aesthetic war.jpg (960x948, 244K)

The problem in a civil war is trying to fight the insurgency while maintaining legitimacy over your people. Carpet bombing cities and nuking population centers is a pretty effective way to have your military instantly defect all at once against you. Even Julius fucking Caesar had to be careful with what actions he could and couldn't do in the Roman civil war in fear of his men rebelling against him.

Attached: Centuries of Damn Ive never felt so Yon.jpg (640x480, 43K)

Short of nuking your own home turf, quelling an insurgency swiftly in the US is just straight impossible. They'd either completely demonize themselves, and like the other user said, lose all military support, or they lose a war of attrition. An American insurgency is an unwinnable situation for any army in my book, not only due to the amount of weapons Americans have but also the rest of the world would get involved.

Lmao mein negger

Sounds to me like the USMC fucking sucks

he's completely correct

I would say, a civil war implies that there are two aggressors fighting each other for reasons that they both justify. What you are describing sounds more like a revolution against a tyrannical empire, which in that case. Yes, a war like that would be very much unwinnable for Government forces. However, something along the lines of a true civil war, where you have large percentages of the overall population supporting both sides, that's where things get iffy. Looking at the huge cultural shifts and differences between city and non city populations throughout the US, I wouldn't be that much surprised to see a Government entity with a large following supporting and justifying its actions in a possible civil war.

I always figured a second civil war in the US would be more like the Bosnian War rather than the first one, just with the sheer size of the country alone you’ll probably have all sorts of factions running around on top of the federal government trying to keep a lid on things. I also got think media will have a huge role to play in a 2nd Civil war, especially in major urban areas, seeing as how the average American today just eats up what ever the corporate news spews our

Would it really stay like that once outside influences come into the picture, though? Especially the Russians and Chinese, Europeans would probably want to have a stake in it as well. Personally I think eventually that would lead to further and further fragmentation into different groups, but ultimately it would be an extremely complex situation regardless, there's no way to know for sure how it would go down.

*annoying

This user said it better than I did, with the media you could paint any Patriot or rural revolt as some evil, racist, Taliban baby killing group that needs to be put down at all cost, whether it’s true or not

That's a really hard thing to answer due to how many variables there are in this equation. That, and also the fact that the United States is not some third world country for other regional powers to devour and play nation builder, but rather. Is the worlds most powerful nation to ever exist. It's not like the US Navy would just disappear in an internal conflict or power struggle. So who knows.

>cope
Original question was, is irregular warfare stil viable or rendered useless. They had the same technology referenced in the question in vietnam, northern ireland etc. The answer is clearly, less it is viable. Thanks for playing.

>we invaded for oil maaan
can we stop this war for money meme pls. its not true. ive seen idiots say we didnt win vietnam because of huey helicopter contracts.

>Thinks user is talking about oil
>And not the military industrial complex

Attached: wow.jpg (599x797, 213K)

pretty sure the afghans proved to us that it still works really fucking well

he's right though

>city and non city populations throughout the US
If we didn't like city fags, we could starve them into submission in a month or less.

Glow harder

I think maybe he told him to stop talking because the guy didn't specify an objective/mission. The only thing I could think of is what ISIS is doing right now for example, and that's using pistols for assassination missions.

Bump

Not really.

Glow harder, Russian psyops nigger.

>Drone or anything ariel flight time is infinite
>A team of crazy bastards can't live in a terrain feature hidden from all detection besides visual/physical contact for weeks at a time.

Unless someone develops scanning capabilities that transcend all modern detection technology, irregular warfare as you call it will ALWAYS be viable.

You’re not gonna fucking tell me that in 2 years span (2016-2018) you weren’t living under a rock and didn’t hear about all those crashes? Glow harder you Moto faggot
Hillary get the fuck off this board you goddamn nofunz, you can’t blame Russia when you get caught with shit.

I have no hope for this new commandant either. Dude looks like a shell of a man. At least the last one was destroying it on purpose. This one looks like the hunchback kid we had with a speech impediment if he hadn’t been dropped

thiis.

Yes.

Attached: tenor.gif (400x224, 1.3M)

That one nigger thought that when it "worked" in Iraq, then got btfo in Afghanistan. I had to read his book for work

Shoo, Ivan, shoo. Just because you managed to memorize some slang from Generation Kill doesn't make you believable.

>muh russian trolls
If you think the United States military is absent of problems, which plague every military, you’re an ignorant fool.

Wow thats one of the most retarded questions i ever read

I wouldn’t say it’s day or night as much as inclement weather. Rain grounds planes

>the United States military is absent of problems
Nobody claimed that for a second. Goddamn, why are Russians so constitutionally incapable of not being dishonest? Where does their fucked up psychology come from?

>doubling down on muh russians
Lmao you are a complete dipshit. Muh Russia is claimed by ignorant shits like you when criticism of American equipment by people who have experience with it is brought up. The V22 is a dog turd. Sorry, it just is. It’s difficult to fly in VTOL and has less carrying capacity than needed.

>constitutionally incapable of not being dishonest?
Now you sound like a pompous ass Whose terrible at writing.

On the contrary it's the only thing that's been viable for 30+ years at least.

First world Peace through superior firepower has been achieved.

>whose
Who is. Fucking autocorrect.

>Whose terrible at writing.
The irony.

Piss off, Ivan.

Irregular warfare happens in africa, asia minor, east indies, central america, eastern europe all the time. It is the only type of warfare that has yet been dominated by conventional means. If you don't know where, when, and how it's happening then it means it still works.

Attached: 2334723437.png (400x256, 63K)

>see, he made a spelling mistake
>he’s russian
Lol ok bub.

Have food

Attached: 1424123620002.jpg (779x452, 88K)

It's more viable than ever but the rules have changed, which you know since you're a glownigger out on a fishing expedition

Shoo shoo, glownigger

Attached: 1544028908503.jpg (400x276, 64K)

>this

drones are not quite ubiquitous enough yet to make short term concealment an impossibility

Attached: baby drone.jpg (3000x1996, 2.24M)

Rain fucks with all sorts of tech, rangefinders, thermal, signal transmission. It's great concealment.

>I always figured a second civil war in the US would be more like the Bosnian War
Not the bosnian war but it would look like the entire war in yugoslavia.you'd have riots in one state open warfare in next and some states might secede peacefully just because the fed doesnt have resources to put the into fold

did he put that drone in his ass ?

Have you just not paid attention to the last two decades of war?

Ask the middle east.
Insurgencies have proven time and time again to be the single hardest type of enemy to fight effectively, the only country that really did it well was Rhodesia and they had the home turf advantage.

>rules have changed
Yup, and to the advantage of insurgents. You can't just carpet cities anymore. Every strike carried out by a conventional force needs to be carefully targeted and minimize collateral damage. All an insurgent force needs to do is maintain is a more-sympathetic-than-not image and focus attacks on harassing occupying forces and occaisional assasinations.

And friendly locals

Yeah dude, didn't you see Rogue One when the Empire was strolling through that urban area with their tank?