Virgin first gun

Hi Jow Forums is this a good a choice for a first lever action gun?
>Marlin
>45-70
>loading gate

inb4 jurassic world

Attached: marlin-model-1895.jpg (1000x1000, 238K)

I Already shot at 357 but a little weak in my taste

Get a BFR as a sidearm to compliment it and you're all set.

Henry loading gate

Ammo is pricey, but if that's OK with you then go for it.

It's not the ideal rifle to learn to shoot with, mostly because of ammo costs. If that doesn't bother you then it's fine.

What's the ideal rifle then? please share i'm interested in bolt action too but I don't know what caliber to seek, if anyone could send me in the right way.

Honestly i'm looking for a big "pew pew" to make holes in the paper at 80+ feet until i got my semi-auto license.

Attached: 1560410805600.gif (370x300, 253K)

>semi-auto license
If that is your goal and you only have access to levers and bolt actions right now then go for it. It's easy to recommend a hundred rifles in the US because we're basically in a rifle version of the Chocolate Factory. If you want a slightly less expensive option then try to find a .44 Magnum. 30-30's are good lever actions that are perfectly fine at under 100 feet. For bolt actions there are several affordable and reliable big cartridges that won't be difficult to find. 6mm rounds are pretty enjoyable to shoot. 308 is an easy pick.

A 22lr is the best first rifle. The ammo is super cheap so you can practice all you want. Buying something like 45-70 where the recoil and price to shoot will be restrictive and you absolutely will not be a better shooter because of it. I know its lame, but learn on a smaller, cheaper caliber and then move up.

22LR. Tons of fun, ammo is very cheap.

If you want a levergun then I'd suggest one in .357; that way you can shoot .38s cheap. Or you can get a .44 like the other user suggested. It's more expensive than .357/.38 ammo, but it is a bigger boom so that might be what you want.

A bolt gun in .308 (or whatever caliber may be more prevalent in your country) wouldn't be bad either, since that ammo is usually easy to find and relatively inexpensive.

No, get a lever or bolt gun in .357

I'm also gonna go with saying get a .357 levergat, .38 special is cheap and doesn't kick very hard so it's a good cartridge to learn to shoot on, flinch isn't a meme user.

I shot one of these with off the shelf walmart ammo, felt milder than a 12 gauge

Attached: judge.png (500x483, 143K)

45-70 as a first will not be a good choice unless you have the funds to feed it. I'm projecting from my experience as a college student paying for beer with quarters so I could afford to feed my 1911 .45acp

>bolt action
Savage Axis, .308 is probably your best bet as it is affordable and a good round. But .22lr is good as well, fun to shoot, cheaper than cow piss but can still make things deader or make you the slayer of paper and tin cans, ammo is generally more “dirty” so it’ll teach you some fundamentals about maintanence, and can be a good introduction to semi automatic weapons.

>>mild ammo felt mild
well no shit, user.

.45/70 is way too expensive to shoot at the range.
It's a hunter's round, for people who don't shoot more than a pack of 20 cartridges a year.
As others have said, .22lr will do the job just fine at that distance.

>45-70
Awful choice. You need something to practice with, not drain your bank account. For every 45-70 bullet, you could shoot at least 50 .22s. I’d get a .22 bolt action. Most people will recommend a ruger 22 semiauto but you’re restricted and a bolt action is fun for new shooters. Lever action .22s are fun too

>I want to make big holes
>357 isn't what I want
GET A 357 OR A 22LR LOL
All of you just fuck off if you can't handle reading an 8 post thread.

You were told what choices would be good for that without breaking the bank you rejected spud. 45-70 is way too expensive for regular shooting especially for a noob, and .308 will both get you ample range time as well as take down just about everything that walks in North America, only issue being distance.

22lr is boring