Describe combat in these conditions

Describe combat in these conditions.
How would warfare/combat be done in this environment? Imagine battles between arctic stations as this is the only thing left on earth.

Attached: ee8535d53bc88d8bb13a25ba349b85f4.jpg (3888x2592, 719K)

Other urls found in this thread:

verywellfit.com/average-calories-per-day-for-a-man-4121367
youtube.com/watch?v=1Ujx_pND9wg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ARCTIC BARRACKS WALKERS
>their mighty 400mm cannons blasting other walkers and slow moving targets out of the way as well as clearing paths through snow
>rooming whole armies and crop lands in their armored, nuclear powered bellies, they stride across the antarctic land like mighty testaments to humanity's will to survive

Attached: ron herron the walking city 1964.jpg (949x408, 119K)

I'm no tactician, but trench warfare could be a thing again considering the lack of cover.
Jet fuel freezes at -40C so air support would be limited.
Artillery may fuck up whatever it is we'd be fighting for in such a place.

All in all, it'd suck shit.

Like mortal engines, except slightly more plausible. I like it.

Good luck digging a trench in solid ice even with machinery. The only way to survive in the open would be camouflage and a prayer to god that nobody has thermals..

mortars/ LR guns, ethanol or hydrogen engines (how you'd get the ethanol IDFK) FLIR and almost no foot soldiers at all.

I enter my cheat code and receive a giant flame thrower with unlimited ammo

you just get your axe and chop

Attached: 3WG6ABCE5PDA3WZPY2OLMP7A2U.jpg (1000x1000, 93K)

Thing about that place is that people don't really appreciate just how cold it actually is. That image is a good example, you look at that picture and you think it looks like hoody and jeans weather.

>t. someone who lives south of the 45th parallel

It would be the most aesthetic war.

i was there in the penguin war of 1860 ask me anything.

I will not give OPSEC
I will not give names of the comander or unit or the regiment i was in

based

Attached: 1553471110406.jpg (400x400, 98K)

the worst fucking snowman building experience

Just look at Operation Highjump, OP.

The only losses are to environmental factors, and the Nazi remnant forces escape to the moon while everyone's trying to figure out how to make their equipment work in the cold.

how did those bastards do it?

Did you fuck any of the local women?

I have had receive some sort of trauma when I was in my late childhood/early teenage hood years.

Somehow I connected it to the videogame/movie "The Thing" by Carpenter and I have to this day recurring nightmares about me being chased by humanoid looking creatures. It usually takes place in my mundane enviroment, but it may also involve places similar to the one in which the movie took place (antartica).

In one of this dream I was one of the guys in the station facing this shapeshifter monsters. The main guy was aware of the situation and gathers the survivors in a room, informing them about the menace and how to fight it.(some of us had guns).

I remember the acute sense of paranoia I had in dream, and I decided since the first minute that I would have pretend to agree with the leader and leave the place asap.

I do as I mentioned: I leave the place on a snowbike (maybe the only one that worked) and I keep going in the nothingness of antartica for many miles till I reach a sort of hill or a crest from behind it I observe what is going on in the base using a binocular. 2 guys were running away from the station, and they were chased by a third individual(maybe the leader of before) they shoot him, but he kept marching towards them without concern eating lead like it was nothing. The creature then assault and kills the two defectors and mutate with them in a sort of centipede looking creature, the "cenitpede" starts to follow the tracks that the snowbike had left and watches in my general direction.. the dreams ends with me jumping on the bike while I feel a strong sense of anxiety, I eventually woke up from the nightmare because of that.

Mad Max style dogsled battles

thank you for sharing, i really like reading other peoples dreams

I don't know, but what I do know is that it's going to be KINO as fuck

Heavily mechanized, to a far greater extent than any other theater in history. For one, you need vehicles to get any significant distance safely in those conditions, but also armored vehicles would have a field day. Huge, relatively flat plains. Massive temperatures differential for thermals. Little to no air support during Winter.
It's hard to see a use for infantry at all besides storming bases and tunnels.
The main problem is the weight for current armor and the need for GPR to check for crevasses.
We dug a few miles of tunnels for Project Iceworm in the 60s. And not just small tunnels either, ones large enough to fit entire demountables in with a signficant air gap to help insulation.

Attached: century12.jpg (500x293, 40K)

The Nazi flying saucers based on the "Die Glocke" device supposedly relied on some odd version of electromagnetism for their levitation, and superconducting magnets work better the colder they get.

That's interesting fren. Maybe the film unlocked a personal sense of dread. Then again, maybe the film is so effective on account of the inhospitable environment being so naturally spooky, with or without monsters.

I thought about it, and personally all of my terrors have me in hot, impossibly hot, hellscapes. Weird thing is that I'm accustomed to the desert and while I can do fine in the cold I'm at home in 120 degree heat. Strange how the mind works.

'The only thing left'. So, no supplies or support since nothing can be manufactured locally beyond a bit of solar energy. Nothing to generate heat with, so everyone are dressed like Michelin men. Even small wound can have grave results. No food, so hunger - a really bad thing in bad cold. No further ammo than what is on store. Very low incentive for going into attack unless to capture enemy food supplies. No way to escape other than 500 miles on foot - and even then, nowhere to go!

This is not a scenario for war. This is a scenario for seeking a ceasefire and try to survive together.

Go ahead and try to dig a trench in permafrost.

oh yeah thats the problem...
not the fact that a normal human being needs 5000-6000calories per day let alone a soldier that will probably need more..

>normal human being needs 5000-6000calories per day
Yeah maybe if you weigh 600lbs. Average male adult needs 2500 calories per day.

you dont really know much about the topic so why dont you just throw your pc and wait for the schools to open again?

>Nazis escaped into the hollow Earth
FTFY

Ahem.

verywellfit.com/average-calories-per-day-for-a-man-4121367

again you dont know what the fuck you are talking about please leave that once
your relationship with thermodynamics has ended

...you don't know how calories and human exertion work do you? How about water consumption? Going to say only need 64 ounces or so too?

Unrelated to that tard, I want my battle mount to be a polar bear!

you fucking idiot heis saying that in the antartica you burn from 4000 to 9000 calories per day depending on the work you do
you cant just eat 2500 calories you will fucking die in 2 days max

I'm guessing most of that energy is used to maintain body heat? I remember seeing some show where the guys were in Antarctica and they had to snack a lot

i use to work with comex down there few times as a diver
18 mins worth of workload each person 6200 calories lost
just let that sink in

why would warfare be done in this environment is a better question

>Describe combat in these conditions
cold

I have worked a few years on a detachment up in northernmost Sweden, where tempratures regularly dropped under -40°C.

It really sucks ass, but its still nothing compared to what it would be like on either of the poles. My guess is that logistics is what would win, as you need a shitload of support to even function in conditions like that.

Also this

Brb gonna start a dieting company

S-400 is deployed in the Arctic Circle. T-80U is activated for duty in the Arctic Circle. Tor has already passed tests for the Arctic Circle. I forgot the name of that new 120mm Arctic mortar but its being tested for the Arctic Circle.

Arctic Circle is just a regular environment. Nothing special.

>Arctic Circle is just a regular environment. Nothing special.

except from the fact that you wont last more than 2 days without proper food source

Great video on Camp Century.
youtube.com/watch?v=1Ujx_pND9wg

Arctic circle is nothing compared to the poles tho. Sure, the climate might be similar, on the poles you are thousands of miles away from any support whatsoever.