.22s and first guns

Share your experiences with the baby caliber.
About to order a Marlin 795 and jump into the wonderful world of gun ownership. Wasn't able to feel one in any of the stores I visited as they were all out of Marlin semiautos, but the reviews and price are just too damn good. Anyone shot one on here?

Attached: 795.png (1846x656, 198K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104536080/federal-champion-training-lr-bucket/3138152.uts?slotId=1
youtube.com/watch?v=R6OXmZ59YVI
gungnerinc.com/product/ruger-1022-chassis-system/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah
Get Tech sights

They all shoot the same. The good thing is you got a version with box magazines. The iron sights are kind of shitty.

I plan to! Going to follow the lil Appleseed liberty training rifle guide and add tech sights and a sling.
Thanks good to know brother

A good cheap rodent repellent.

I prefer the 10/22

They shoot fine. I agree with the others that the sights suck.

If I were you I'd get a 10/22 though, if for no other reason than the incredibly huge aftermarket.

yep I was between the two but holding a couple 10/22s today I liked em but I didn't like em $60 more, particularly considering that I've seen more modifications recommended for them. The flush mags are pretty though I must say. (though if you ask me the marlin 60 style helical mag is the most aesthetic choice)

Attached: 1022.png (380x380, 29K)

Marlin irons are fine
Incedibly basic and barebones but adequate. Its not like a stock 10/22 where people get confused.

Good to know! I'm honestly planning to blast away for at least a bit before I add the peep sights and sling haha. Thanks for the knowledge all of you. Any advise on ammunition? I see the recommendation to try different kinds and see which is most accurate but honestly thinking of buying just some cheap bulk shit until I get truly accurate.

I live in New Jersey and I'm going to law school in the fall. I'm worried about people finding out I own a gun once I buy my first rifle, in the event that it ruins my career prospects in a heavily blue state, but I really want to learn how to shoot.
what do

I'm from Maryland and went to college in Ohio to solve that problem myself haha but I'm guessing the educational market is different for law. Honestly I'd say enjoy your hobby and don't bring it up around obvious faggots but defend yourself and your choices if they find out, but I'm not the one who has to live with the consequences. Honestly though can't you just not associate with the kinds of assholes who'd make a big deal about that? I have anti gun friends but they're good guys and still respect me.

Buy the cheapest bulk. Unless its remington dont buy remington.

yeah the manual warns about Remington thunderbolt explicitly lmfao

I prefer the cci minimags for my 22s. Only ever got jams in my shitty tube fed semi but it was the gun not the ammo.

Remington just sells garbage everything. Avoid rem oil too its ok at cleaning but shit for storage since it evaporates superfast compared to everything else. New gun owners buy rem oil cause its there but its crap.

I recently bought an all-weather 10/22 and the plastic stock it comes with is the cheapest feeling thing. It reminds me of a bb gun, or an airsoft gun, or something.

What should I replace it with? I want something light weight and water resistant.

Attached: 16632-DEFAULT-l.jpg (900x469, 21K)

The day I sold my marlin was the happiest day of my life. After shooting a few rounds it would get dirty and jam. I would clean it, shoot 20 rounds and jam. Junk.

I now own two 10/22’s and this charger. Best decision I ever made.

Attached: A372C638-279B-4901-9C20-C97D27DB971D.jpg (3884x2764, 2.26M)

>Any advise on ammunition?
cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104536080/federal-champion-training-lr-bucket/3138152.uts?slotId=1

>I want something light weight and water resistant.
stick with what you have
sturdier stocks that dont feel like garbage are going to weigh more. thats just how it is. what youve got is already water resistant cause its plastic.

How can I mount a bipod to the standard stock?

I'm in NJ. Just buy it and shoot it proudly. We need more people in law that are pro-gun. It's fun, and if you make it your niche you might make a name for yourself defending law abiding citizens from the corrupt government here.

It was my first gun too. My older brother got it for me when I was 13. The sights are only bad if you're not used to irons or have terrible eyesight. I used to shoot oranges off of trees with it. Leave it stock get extra mags and maybe toss a $10 scope on it if you feel like testing yourself.

screw a rail on. or a sling swivel. always pissed me off that ruger doesnt come with slingmounts when every other 22lr does even if they cost more or are cheaper. though ruger knows you are going to toss out their factory crap cause aftermarket will fix it.
if you dont feel comfortable drilling replacement barrel bands with rails exist.

Wholesome reply user I'll definitely be saving my money for ammo at first : )
youtube.com/watch?v=R6OXmZ59YVI
found this on youtube never done it though best of luck!

>sturdier stocks that dont feel like garbage are going to weigh more. thats just how it is

ok, really anything that isn't a target stock. The oem plastic ruger stock is pretty garbage.

The magazine is the best part of a 10/22, its otherwise a decent but unremarkable blow-back.

>The oem plastic ruger stock is pretty garbage.
im not going to disagree with that. just pointing out most lightweight anything always feels like flimsy crap or is super expensive.

What about one of those rubbery stocks they make for it? Never used em personally though.

if 60 bucks makes a difference to you don’t get into guns

T. Gun store owner

Not OP but 60 bucks gets you over somewhere between 1 and 3 thousand rounds of .22 lr depending on what you get. If it's all the same why get the more expensive thing even if it's just a dollar difference?
Mine likes Remington golden plated and hollowpoints. Lead roundnose like federal and Winchester are sometimes too weak for it to cycle.

>replacement barrel bands with rails exist

lool plastic barrel band replacement with rails is $36 on amazon. I think I'll just get this:

gungnerinc.com/product/ruger-1022-chassis-system/

I already have spare AR stock and grip to throw on it.

The success of the Israeli Arms Industry proves this statement false

>didn't like em $60 more
Oh boy.

Thunderbolt is the only ammo I've found that reliably cycles my ruger mk3

>Thunderbolt

Attached: 1527875848786.jpg (261x145, 13K)

it’s not all the same, the ruger starts as a better gun and had the potential to become a massively better gun. range fees are 10-30 depending on location, if you have to penny pinch spend the money on getting a better job
t. phoneposter
drink bleach

My first one was a 10/22 anniversary takedown in Beechwood and blued steel. Still very beautiful, the wood got a good bit darker with age.

Remington (golden bullet) and CCI are the only two that haven't had primer failures in my 795. Winchester and cheap Federal are on my .22 shit list now.

>the ruger starts as a better gun
its worse than marlin in stock form. marlins microgroove makes a very nice barrel.
10/22s also bulkier cause of the rotary mags being fat making the receiver thick. doesnt have sling swivels have to buy them if you want a sling.
> had the potential to become a massively better gun.
this means its a giant moneysink

>this means its a giant moneysink

Welcome to the firearms community.

Attached: frens4lyfe.jpg (720x384, 29K)

Got to college in Newark and was surprised at the amount of gun guys there, pass the info out carefully and you’ll be more than fine.

10/22s are a whole nother level followed by atiing your first pumpshotgun and the ar15.
marlin is perfectly acceptable out of the box and the only thing you might want to add is optics.

Any newfag is gonna fall down the customization rabbit hole eventually. Better to buy a gun with a vast aftermarket for that you can do anything to than one you'll end up selling so you can get one to do stuff to once you get deep enough in to want more than a stock gun.

>paying $167
>for a gun
You know you can just take a /nightwalk/ around the south side of any metro area and find those on the ground for free, right?

>law school
>cant defend his opinions
Never gonna make it

see pic.

Attached: move-nigger.jpg (800x453, 89K)

Why would you get random parts for your 10/22 instead of just getting a better gun next time you're in the market? The Marlin is an inherently more accurate gun and op is a new shooter. He is years away from even knowing what kind of gun suites him better or what changes he should make to his gun. Autists and newbies will spend a ton of money on stocks when they don't hold the gun correctly, rails so they can attach a laser they don't know how to sight in, cheap airsoft level red dots that break because they don't how to change the battery, and aperture sights they put on the barrel, and bipods for a gun they have never shot in any way besides standing instead of money on ammo, range trips, training, and sensible gear.
I spent $3000 making my own range. I probably spend more on walnut media than you do on actual ammo. Spending $60 extra bucks just so you can throw away $600 over the course of the next few years isn't investing and isn't flexing, it's why poor people stay poor.

Idk man, Remington ammo isn't bad. About the same cost as over cheap ammo and better than Winchester and Aguila. Their 1911s are the best 1911s under $600.

Marlon 795 is a good 22 love mine

What should I look for when buying an MP5 clone chambered in .22? The one I'm looking at right now is made by either GSG or Walther .

If you buy Walthern make sure its not an Umarex, there should be an antler rollmark somewhere to let you know its good

its dirty as fuck and super prone to bullet setback.
remington uses shitty packaging design that doesnt support bullets. if somebody loading/unloading drops a case of umc the rounds on the edge get fucked. the box looks fine but the ammos damaged inside.

Attached: setback.jpg (1024x768, 126K)

My first gun was a 10/22 my dad gifted me on my 16th birthday. My first baby gun was a .177 air gun that slayed many squirrel and bird.

Attached: asdf.png (460x490, 212K)

Thanks for all the advice guys! Though I chose the marlin, I'm sure the 10/22 is a great gun, and I hope none of you lose sleep over this.Have a great night all of you!

Attached: Alae Iacta est.png (1181x627, 376K)

how does it feel to be the soon to be owner of a knock off 10/22?

I can just see the pride on you user I'm happy to hear of such happy times. Hope you're still close with him if he's still around.

I still have the gun, and my dad.

Attached: IMG_4218.jpg (480x640, 117K)

There's something wrong with your Mk3. They're well known for cycling just about anything.

Something like this?

Attached: German_definitive_smokeless_powder_proofmark_(eagle_over_N)_issued_by_the_Beschussamt_Ulm_C.I.P._acc (1554x1353, 543K)

I don't know why anyone would buy random parts for their 10/22, but replacing those parts which the owner feels that they would get benefit from replacing makes sense.

Clearly it would be silly for a noob to build some wierd custom thing. Just start with the basic one and enjoy far better mags than the Marlin. When you git gud then you can upgrade your trigger and barrel and shoot circles around the Marlin. If you want a different stock you can get one. If you don't, just leave the factory one on there. Nobody said you have to customize anything but it's nice to be able to do so if you want to.

Yup, thats exactly it

>I don't know why anyone would buy random parts for their 10/22
people do this all the damn time. they ask for recommendations for the gun they just bought and have never shot. some guy mentions bolt release sights or a stock then it happens they start buying everything.

marlin has decent aftermarket certainly not as much as ruger but compared to every other 22lr it has more.

rugers mags are actually pretty mediocre theres a reason every aftermarket 10/22 mag is shit. you have to take the 10 rounders apart and rewind them for maintenance compared to the nothing of most other 22s

even the bx25 or 50s still have problems in some guns.

I'm well aware that some idiots buy all kinds of goofy shit for their gun with no idea if they even need it or what it does. But its disingenious to assume that everyone does that. Nobody is forcing you to buy shit you don't need for your 10/22 (or whatever else).

>you have to take the 10 rounders apart and rewind them for maintenance compared to the nothing of most other 22s
I've had mine since 1996 and I've never had to do that.

>instead of just getting a better gun next time you're in the market?
A marlin is not a "better gun". It's pretty much the same thing only with a far worse aftermarket.

If user wants a better gun he's welcome to buy a Volquartsen, Feinwerkbau, or Anschutz but that seems a bit excessive for a beginner.

Its better than a bone stock ruger. Which isnt a high bar.
10/22 fanboys invest their ego into defending the money pit theyve sunk hundreds or thousands into.

Not for long.

Attached: 1551625596297.gif (672x378, 456K)

>Its better than a bone stock ruger
it's the same fucking thing but with a worse mag.

>money pit theyve sunk hundreds or thousands into.
Nobody in this thread has advised OP to go buy a bunch of worthless junk for his gun.

What? I'd tell ppl to buy a couple of the 25 round mags, get a bushnell red dot for it ( 60 bucks) not really much money.

Man, I would honestly choose a bolt action over a semi auto .22, but thats just me.

^^^this
.22lr cycles better in manual action