Grenades

What is the best kind of grenade type and why is it the stick grenade?

Attached: Granate.jpg (1200x1200, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1-bPoK1Vw5k?t=194
saabgroup.com/media/news-press/news/2019-02/saab-to-deliver-carl-gustaf-m4-to-the-u.s.-army/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The kind that explodes

>pros
>longer throw distance
>bigger boom
>shape causes it to roll in a tight arc, so less likely to roll off target
>makeshift club

>cons
>heavy and cumbersome, cant carry many, difficult to store
>more difficult to construct
>lanyard trigger is more sensitive
>weight distribution is off, more unpredictable when bouncing off surfaces

“Responsible individuals” often said “a grenade based on the size and shape of a baseball would be better adapted to use by the average American soldier"

>pro
>looks frigging badass stuffed in belt

Are grenades an effective weapon, or a relic of the past?

Well, do you prolefer the kind that causes damage via fragmentation, or the kind that causes damage via pressure waves?

yes

You can't reply like that. I remembered to put a comma before the word "or". Therefore a proper answer must pick either option before or after the comma, but not both.

don't swear please, this is a Christian basket-weaving forum

I've compared throwing one of the replica stick grenades to an m67 blue body and they seemed to travel a virtually identical distance. I was expecting the stick to go a lot further.

I mean when you think about it, grenades are expensive, so why not go for something the soldier already has experience with. Makes training easier and accidents rarer.

Danish M/54 grenades are designed for room clearing in danish mortar and brick houses.
We took that grenade with us to Afghanistan/Iraq, and found out it could clear entire buildings.

yes

More awkward than regular grenades, if you want range there's always somebody around carrying a grenade launcher.

This user covered the pros and cons pretty damn well, but theres some additional caveats I'd add to it.
>longer throw distance
But we have GLs now to fill that niche and do it much better.
>bigger boom
Back in WW2 maybe, not any more.
And an additional con
>Can't be dropped or stuck through small holes which is 90% of their modern use.
>inb4 but that's now, I'm talking back in WW2
You asked
>What is the best kind of grenade
not
>What was the best kind

>doesn't want the satisfaction of killing more or less everything within a five meter radius
>particularly something that's dug in and/or is being an asshole waste-of-time

They make hostages rescues way more interesting

Is that because trashcanistan houses are pissweak or because M/54s are powerful? It seems to have a pretty normal weight of HE filler for a defensive grenade.

May be related to ME rural houses being built with bricks and mud rather than bricks and mortar.

Defensive grenades are best grenades, sadly due to a few idiots taking out their own fireteam they are rare in the west today. Now we are stuck with glorified fire crackers that often prove non-fatal at 1 meter.

Mud is extremely effective at absorbing projectiles. You're talking shit.

Yes but it also has lower shear strength than mortar when dealing with confined overpressure.

That's what I thought. There's not much to distinguish the M/54 from any other frag grenade, and everything I've read about fighting in Afghan suggests their houses and compounds are built like literal (mud) brick shithouses. Can't speak for Iraq tho. Just watch this fucker survive multiple frags in his room: youtu.be/1-bPoK1Vw5k?t=194

That was the theory. When they actually made and issued spherical hand grenades under that rationale, it was found they were actually more difficult to use and more prone to accidents.

Baseball and grenades don't translate 1 to 1.

>literally a hand held bomb you can throw
Boy, can't think of any modern applications for this one.

Rocket propelled is best type

That same sports-comparative mentality gave us this bad boy before the Vietnam war ended.

Attached: football-grenade.jpg (800x474, 123K)

There's a long tradition of brave, kilted men running into battle with naught but a large stick and dangerous amounts of alcohol in their bloodstreams. Now you can keep this glorious custom alive and add a modern twist by attaching explosives to your improvised weaponry!

High-yield Scottish face removal.
A sober person would throw it...

The kind that does both.

Pre gun mettle ullapool caber was godlike.

I’ve seen afghan houses in The Arghandab valley take AT4’s and it left barely a 2 inch divot. Those walls and houses are tough as shit and it takes a concentrated pounding from an M2 to get through one. Now a JDAM that’s far more effective on demolishing them but Barry didn’t like that and made us ask for permission 3 commands higher.

What you say is really improbable. An AT4 is supposed to go through 16 inches of rolled, homogeneous steel and still have an effect beyond that. That's just for the standard HEAT warheads. Every other warhead for the AT4 is more and more focused on penetration or anti structure use.

>An AT4 is supposed to go through 16 inches of rolled, homogeneous steel
With a jet of copper millimeters wide, in a tank that jet hits the oposite wall while still molten turning into balls that quickly harden as they bounce around the tank.
Now instead of a steel box you have a stone building and the jet chips the internal stone instead of bouncing and basically all terminal effect is lost unless the guy is exactly where you hit.

Just because a weapon is good on a small metal box doesn't mean it's good on a much larger stone box. This is why the Carl Gustaf is making a comeback, with the right selection of round it can kill just about anything.

No, it isn't. Adobe dries hard on the outside but remains softer in the middle, allowing it to absorb large amounts of forces.
>This is why the Carl Gustaf is making a comeback, with the right selection of round it can kill just about anything.
Interesting, I assume you're talking in US forces? Army, Marines?

Army first but I think everyone will get them eventually.
saabgroup.com/media/news-press/news/2019-02/saab-to-deliver-carl-gustaf-m4-to-the-u.s.-army/

objectively the worst modern grenade design and you're a faggot for making this meme thread.

>saabgroup.com/media/news-press/news/2019-02/saab-to-deliver-carl-gustaf-m4-to-the-u.s.-army/
Thanks

>>Can't be dropped or stuck through small holes which is 90% of their modern use.
Huh? Wouldn't it fit any hole that any normal grenade can fit through?