Got charged by a black bear while assisting my friend on a hunt in Tennessee. Never again...

Got charged by a black bear while assisting my friend on a hunt in Tennessee. Never again. Bear spray just pissed it off. What's the best gun and shot placement to take it down next time? How do you take down a bear mid charge?

Attached: ChargingBear.jpg (175x252, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gunwatch.blogspot.com/2017/06/bella-twin-22-used-to-take-1953-world.html
youtube.com/watch?v=PbmhNsAhN8s
youtube.com/watch?v=74LBcCvokiM
adn.com/alaska-news/2017/06/22/anchorage-woman-27-idd-as-victim-of-fatal-interior-black-bear-mauling/
youtube.com/watch?v=Bkwy0scRXBU
ammoland.com/2019/03/pistols-or-handguns-used-to-defend-against-bear-attack-95-effective-63-cases/#axzz5u8gBmlRu
range365.com/alaska-gun/
ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/
youtube.com/watch?v=nQ_sSXU5uow
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do I have the right board?

>best gun
The one you are most comfortable with and can bring to bear (heh) quickly. Anything from 9mm up can and has killed american black bears.
>where to aim
Between the eyes. Don't bother trying to get a round through the brisket, it wont work quickly enough. Go for the cns.
>but muh sloped skull deflects rounds!
No it doesn't. Try it some time.

10MM
M
M

A high capacity rifle firing real fucking NATO ought to make yogi rethink his choices.

Back that up with a 10mm handgun or x frame revolver.

Attached: 1563384394207.png (427x640, 463K)

Get a 44 mag and then never worry about north american wildlife again

checked

Attached: 1537325754869.jpg (1280x720, 115K)

Anything with 10+ capacity. I downed a black bear while turkey hunting. It was sniffing out and knocking down our decoys then started coming towards our blind snorting real loud like. Was scary as fuck considering there was essentially nowhere to go. Had my glock 19 with a 17 rounder loaded up. Aimed at the head and just mag dumped all 18 rounds. Probably didn't need all of them considering about half way through it was already on it's side doing donuts, but I kept shooting anyway. Contacted the local wild life management about it. One guy was a little upset because it was tagged for area/habitat tracking but that was his personal shit other older guy completely understood; wasn't his first call. I couldn't keep it so they just took it back for their whole process. 10/10 though would mag dump a bear again if needed.

Attached: cO6RsKx.jpg (712x816, 47K)

I've read somewhere to use 06 buck shot but that doesnt sound right to me.

I took this video and I just say "hello Mr. Bear". Then Mr. Bear says "yeah yeah I know, if I come near you it's 10mm to the face"

Attached: bear12.webm (740x416, 2.9M)

12 gauge with slugs

These were made specifically to kill them.

Attached: best-bear-defense-guns-smith-and-wesson-500.jpg (840x440, 19K)

What loads?

Literally double barrel coachgun with slugga

Or which could be interesting, dragons breath or napalm loads

Attached: 141005155951-01-ukraine-1005-horizontal-gallery.jpg (640x360, 58K)

Real fucking NATO magdump to the head

I've found from living around black bears that they are mostly nocturnal and would run away at the slightest noice they heard. I have fruit trees and could hear them climbing and chewing outside my window at night.

>I'm a big fucking faggot that shit my pants over a bluff charge from an overgrown housecat
Pathetic.

9mm 124 grain Nato 1200 fps

Yup. 9mm fmj will drop anything if you put it in the right spot. There have been 4 grizzlies shot with 9mm, and all of them died. It can definitely take a black bear no problem. I feel plenty safe carrying hot 9mm fmj when hiking. I think people underestimate how deep 9mm ball penetrates, it penetrates better than 40 and 45. It'll easily go through a bear and out the other side.

Attached: download (7).jpg (189x266, 16K)

Attached: 1485476703924.jpg (510x630, 57K)

Attached: Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan.jpg (3000x1651, 330K)

>charged by a black bear

calling bullshit right here

Cubs could’ve been near by.

bro I saw a webm of a tortuous headbutting a cat, like relentlessly. we don't know what they're thinking but animals have their reasons

the whole caliber argument for the bigger animals is more "insurance" against variables.

There's that one grizzly kill with an old lady and a very very well placed .22lr to bring it down. It's a curving chart that balances power and shootability. Shot placement directly into the CNC aside, you get more "insurance" with a more powerful caliber. You get less variables affecting a weaker caliber vs. a bigger caliber. And all that shit ALSO plays into how many rounds you will or could fire AND how many would actually hit the charging bear.

It's a compromise game everyone plays. You want something you can shoot well, but powerful enough to not be affected by too many variables. Then you come across the whole longgun vs. handgun thing, and the comfort, draw to ready, etc that comes with both platforms.

gunwatch.blogspot.com/2017/06/bella-twin-22-used-to-take-1953-world.html

Attached: Bear Gun.jpg (600x350, 50K)

Attached: bearisdead.jpg (3283x2462, 572K)

Holy fuk.

Attached: 1478399826372.png (426x426, 351K)

The new Vats system looks pretty good

Thats good for when its right on top of you

Or when it's 100yds away. Git gud faggot.

2 inch barrel with way overpowered ammo? Going to fuck up your next shot for sure

>What's the best gun
40 fucking MM
youtube.com/watch?v=PbmhNsAhN8s

Attached: wgfwef.jpg (1021x691, 275K)

>Bear spray just pissed it off.
Bullshit, black bears are huge pussies.

They do bluff charge sometimes actually, which is usually how they get shot, but they're quite unlikely to actually go to attack.
You can quite literally shout at them in an angry tone and they'll run.

Would a couple rounds of 5.56 to the dome do the job quickly enough?

That's honestly overkill for the kind of bear we're talking about.
People have reliably killed black bear with 1911s and .357 revolvers.

Maybe, but bear skulls are pretty thick and pretty curved/sloped, you'd be likely to see deflections (though it'll certainly make a black bear run), aim for the heart or lungs instead.

Attached: Security Six, 4'' Barrel, Blued, Synthetic Grips.jpg (800x533, 242K)

muh penetration
>.223 penetrates soft steel
>skull can deflect it
Yes, but it will break the skull and shooting that bad isnt the problem

Buddy if you angle soft steel or even aluminum at 30 degrees its gonna zloop right off of it.

It's more about the angle, fucking .270 Winchester can deflect off an animal's skull at the right angle, which is why headshots are generally not recommended for hunting.

But yes, you can kill black bear with .223

Early for you Yogi?

>black bear
>scary
the state of Jow Forums

Based hunterchad, fancy seeing you here.

He's not wrong, they're beta as fuck as far as bears go.

No.
Deflection is a myth, what isn't a myth is missing.
Animal brains are small. Big head, small brains.
Its easy to just miss.

>Deflection is a myth
Are they now?

Attached: Check em muslim.png (480x270, 131K)

.308 I would suppose
probably a Remington 700 for simplicity
some sort of M14 or FN FAL if you want semiautomatic

or maybe something larger? .338 laputa?

Rare to see you guys travelling in packs

Black bears are basically retarded dogs
Just walk away from them

youtube.com/watch?v=74LBcCvokiM
This is the animal you're afraid of.

OP is most likely a liar. I live around black bears and they run like fuck at sight of people.

Spreading FUD about bear spray in service of your lie is just plain irresponsible.

Why do people come here to lie? Life really that unpleasant?

>It just pissed it off
>Using quads to make a bullshit thread
So did you friend just actually shoot it with a gun or how are you alive?

>black bears are giant puss-
adn.com/alaska-news/2017/06/22/anchorage-woman-27-idd-as-victim-of-fatal-interior-black-bear-mauling/

OP is pretty much the embodimment of Jow Forums, needs guns cause he's frailer than an old woman

youtube.com/watch?v=Bkwy0scRXBU

Attached: 1558648090161.jpg (661x614, 20K)

Underrated and correct.
Also underrated, a good argument.

Ave true to Caesar

Attached: 1560708743634.jpg (494x640, 47K)

45-70....literally anywhere.

You have to reacquire your target with any real gun, dipshit.

There are humans who been shot in the head with higher caliber, had the bullet skid across the skull ad barely leave the person with a head ache.
I use a lever action in .44mag. More than enough to kill black, brown and even grizzly.

THIS. Black bears are timid af and usually do a fake/bluff charge to get you to leave them alone

just tell it shoo and if it keeps coming flick it on the nose

Back in the 1990s a black bear was killed in Canada that had human remains in its stomach, so at least one wasn't.

Large carnivores are intelligent and unpredictable, and if they weren't inherently aggressive, they wouldn't be carnivores. Even pandas that eat bamboo will fuck you up if you try to get in their faces and start poking them.

>Large carnivores are intelligent
Not that user but this isn't the case with black bears. Dumber than dogs. The fact that Jow Forums is afraid of them is retarded, gay and frankly worrying

No. You're actually incorrect. A bears skull will absolutely deflect most handgun rounds with the exception of incredibly powerful ones such as 460xvr, .480 Ruger, or 500 S&W. A 9mm to the front of a charging bears skull will do fuck all to stop it.
>Inb4 muh 10mm stoppin powah
Guys. Fucking stop with this shit please. 10mm is not some fucking magical hand cannon round everyone on this board seems to think it is. It is, at absolutely fucking best, a hand gun round. It still kills by poking holes in vital stuff, causing blood loss or loss of blood pressure. It's not a fucking CoD Ray gun.
>Ok asshole, what should OP use then?
A 12 gauge shotgun loaded with the most powerful slugs he can comfortably fire. Preferably 3" Magnum stuff, and if it's purpose built for bears, something like the Brenneke slugs then even better.
All my time in Kodiak and Barrow, not once did I ever hear anyone, native or otherwise suggest a 10mm would be good for bears. The ONLY handgun I ever saw anyone carry was a 4 inch barreled S&W 500 Magnum, loaded with 440 buffalo bore hard cast lead rounds.....and that was only the backup for our 12 gauge shotguns.
Please, don't get me wrong. I like 10mm as much as the next guy, but I'm not under the illusion that it's "best mm" nor is it substantially better than 9mm to warrant it's price.
>T. Dude who's done a ton of hunting in Kodiak, Barrow, and Sitka.

see
the bear got sprayed twice and still came back

I'm sure you could find vultures with human remains in its stomach

no animal turns down a free meal but few of them are willing to fight and get themselves hurt to get one.

based coconut crab hunter

INCREASING VIOLENCE.

it was probably a white bear that dressed up as a black bear to give black bears bad press

9mm hardcast will penetrate a bear skull

>OP is pretty much the embodimment of Jow Forums, needs guns cause he's frailer than an old woman
I bet you're not American, I bet you don't even own guns. The fact you just said black bears and not saying that all animals are bitches, pretty much most don't want to deal with us makes me believe you barely even get /out/ ontop of being a no gun faggot. Most people don't go deep enough in the woods, so the animals they usually dealing with have been dealing with humans, seeing as most humans put no fear into these creatures, some times even feeding them, the animal becomes less and less intimidated, will find itself in a situation were it will get scared and attack some one because of it. Even though it is a black bear, it still can out weigh and overpower and kill you, the fact that you're out in the woods alone and help can't get to you any time soon, why aren't you carrying a gun alone for that? So get fuck out of here nigger.

If a Bear Charges You:
-Remove the safety clip
-Aim slightly down and adjust for crosswind
-Begin spraying when the charging bear is 30-60 feet (10-20 yards) away
-Spray at the charging bear so that the bear must pass through a cloud of spray
-Keep spraying until the bear changes direction
-If the bear continues to charge, spray into its face
-Leave the area promptly
>Leave the area promptly
Did you leave the area? How did it come back for you charging while it was sprayed?

>Dumber than dogs
We're talking about black bears, not black people.

Shut up retard.
ammoland.com/2019/03/pistols-or-handguns-used-to-defend-against-bear-attack-95-effective-63-cases/#axzz5u8gBmlRu

>bear spray didn’t work it just pissed him off
Yet you’re still here to type this

The most based and redpilled man to ever exist

So scared

Attached: Screenshot_20190719-124350_Gallery.jpg (720x1280, 320K)

Do you have a source for this info?
Its a vague statement. Will it penetrate a charging bears frontal skull?
If you're able to provide a source, at what distance will it penetrate it reliably? What's the minimum recommended distance to fire it at the bear?
A bear can cover ground faster than you'd think, I've seen hungry Kodiak bears literally run down and eat Black tails on Kodiak.
Once again, a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs does not need to be a headshot to stop a bear. Nor does the bear even need to be close, you can kill a bear way the hell before you're close enough for it to perceive you as a threat with slugs.

range365.com/alaska-gun/

It's long winded but good reading.

Op, you should feel bad for being a bad story teller and a liar.

dida chick, dada chum?

Attached: skeptical fox is skeptical.jpg (835x1170, 146K)

We were hiding behind the blind waiting for deer. About two hours or so in we see something move in. It stood there and stared at us for like 10 minutes. It slowly started moving towards us and then picked up speed. We thought it was bluff charging at first but it didnt stop. At about the 10 ft mark and my friend shot it with some spray he had. It turned away after being sprayed but lingered around for a bit. We packed up the gear and started to head out and it charged us again. I shot and missed but it must have scared it because it ran away. I'm 90% sure it was a black bear. Not that I'm scared of them. I did a little more research on them. I'm just thinking if a grizzly, or kodiak or something gets me in future hunts what I should do.

No we didnt leave at first. It lingered around for a bit.

>What's the best gun and shot placement to take it down next time? How do you take down a bear mid charge?
45-70, 12g slug, 308win (battle rifle)

And you want them in a gun that allows quick follow ups. You've been charged, you know those fuckers are fast. You don't want something requiring precision, you want to be able to dump alot of heavy fast lead on it as quickly as you can. Shot placement would be nice but it's secondary to dumping as many shots into the bears silhouette as you can.

Pistol in .22lr
It's all about shot placement.

Crimp jump

Single shot rifle in .22 long

ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/

Attached: 1539838281751.jpg (326x244, 20K)

Carry a Glock 20 and dump at it.

A bear skull will not "deflect" a 9mm...nor are bears bulletproof monsters.

youtube.com/watch?v=nQ_sSXU5uow

I can confirm that .22 long in the forehead of a black bear will stop it right in its track, but for a grizzly I'm not sure.

Neat. I would use a howitzer or metal storm on a charging bear if i could.
>muh 22 muh 9mm
I (a sensible person) want zero doubt that that bear is dead regardless of where my rounds strike it.

Attached: 37896.jpg (533x389, 60K)

If you're in an area where black bear encounter human often, they're going to be scared easily, but if you're in the true wild, you're fair game for a black bear and it will definitely try to eat you.

You're in an area where they're used to human, so there's a huge selective pressure to not attack human, because those that do end up dead. In the wild, you're the prey of a black bear just like a dear, a caribou or a mouse calf would be.

I meant a moose calf.

>t. never fired one and thinks bears are near invincible

Why are people even being mad about some fucking black bear getting killed? Why would you ever in a million years take the chance that it's false charging you? Once it gets close enough and it doesnt seem like it's stopping then you have every right to blast it.

Eat a dick bear defenders.

Attached: confusedasianman.jpg (470x470, 57K)

If you're alive, the bear spray clearly worked.

Perhaps. But the margin was probably to close for comfort. You don't want the barrier between life and death to be that thin.