What’s Jow Forums‘s opinion on pic related...

What’s Jow Forums‘s opinion on pic related? Would it make sense for someone who plans on having kids in the next year or so?

Attached: ADED7EB1-B7E1-4BA1-9C93-187BE56CCA39.png (1000x1000, 210K)

Sorta kinda.
You really should do a lot of research yourself, because the Army guard is wanting to act like active duty but with no funding.
I'm in the Air guard, and i'm using to pay for college while going ROTC, for example, so it's useful in a way.
what do you want out of it, user?

I got in a bad situation in uni with debt and would like a good foundation to start over, in a sense. Get good mental training from basic, learn some stuff, be deployed if need be, raise a family, and work a tech job outside of the guard

Look up your states guard and do thourough research, as each state offers different things. My state offers 100% of tuition paid or total debt forgiveness, other states offer more, others less.
It's also a good way to gain skills if you choose a worthwhile job.

its a different kind of bullshit. Some people can really vibe with doing weekend drills once a month and two weeks a year, others find it suffocating and a pain in the ass to be a half civilian, half soldier. You get used to one and find your groove, then the rug gets pulled out from under you just in time to make you feel disoriented. I couldnt do that and figured if I was joining, I wanted the full experience 24/7. Its going to suck no matter what because its the military, but having it be your ;lifestyle 24/7 makes you mentally accustomed to it. The people who did well in the guard/reserves treat it more as a secondary hobby or job rather then a career IMO, they used it strictly for benefits.

There's nothing wrong with joining the guard. Its less of a commitment than active duty but still offers plenty of chances to learn new skills and improve yourself.
I'd usually recommend active duty over guard or reserves especially if its someone fresh out of HS or just racked up a debt at UNI but your situation sounds more nuanced and considering kids are going to be in the picture you've probably already laid down some roots you'd rather not rip out.
Do some research and talk to some people in your area who are apart of the guard to figure out if its for you before talking to a recruiter. Also if you have any issues that would complicate your joining particularly if it involves passing a piss test now is the time to sort yourself out.

Yeah, I’m not in a desperate situation but I just wanted some good benefits. I have student loan debt so repayment would be a great benefit. If I wasn’t in my relationship I would definitely consider enlisting full time. I’m into this sort of stuff so I’d consider it more of a hobby than a career.

What should I expect as 11b in the guard?

A caravan of them rolling past my home at 3am during a hurricane is how I knew things were bad. The fuckers always sounded like a tornado coming down the street.

>ROTC
Jesus, what's it like getting looked down on by all but the most kiked boomer?

I did 5 years active USMC and 3 years NG.

I spent most of my time in the Guard doing meaningless busy work and dealing with fat, incompetent NCOs and Officers who didn't care about anything outside of getting promoted and looking good on paper.

I missed a lot of time in school (was going to college at the same time) because most drill weekends were extended to 3 or 4 day drills, and our AT was always 3-4 weeks instead of the advertised 2. One year they held AT in the middle of March, after having a 9 day drill in January to prepare for NTC. Missing more than a month of school killed my grades and made my civilian job get super pissed because I kept having to take a bunch of extra time off.

Obviously, these experiences are mine, and not all Guard units are this bad, but after being in the Guard for 3 years, I decided I didn't want anything to do with the military ever again. I would recommend joining the Army Reserves (I've been told they actually adhere to normal drill/AT schedules and because they're federal, have more money for training and such) or just go active.

>What’s Jow Forums‘s opinion on pic related?
Useless. Totally useless.
While the US was invaded (and conquered), ANG stood by and did jack shit.

PA guard?

Attached: 1340508826249.jpg (457x333, 46K)

AZ

Depends on the state. Texas is pretty good for the most part.

What could they have done? This website forgets too often that the other 99.9 percent of the population thinks invasions means armed and intentional, not worthless parasites looking for free shit. And on what basis would they repel them? Anyone browner than you gets shot?

Air Guard is amazing, join that, OP, unless you're dumb or a dirtbag.

Please tell me you were in ft pickett with me suffering.

What’s marine reserves like?

It's AFROTC, I'm shooting for that sweet sweet UPT slot

Army National Guard recruiter here, 11B for 8 years, recruiter for one. What do you want to know?

I'm still in school, with a girl I want to marry, and we're ready to have kids. Obviously, we're waiting until I'm done. School has gotten really expensive, I've gotten into debt and I'm very burnt out on it.

Mainly, I just want to do something like this to fully spring me into 'adulthood' and help out where I never really had help. Raised by single mom and all and it sorta shows. I would like to go through basic for the mental training and do infantry to continue that. After training, I'd continue the tech pathway im in and do 6 years of natl guard service.

user, how do I get a wife?

Idk man. Look presentable and approach women?

Thanks, I'm not the recruiter but to answer you the NG is a good way to go if you have a family. Each state does benefits differently, so research what your state offers. Also, the training is just a bunch of bullshit that won't turn you into a man.

They will pay off $50k in your student loans if you can score over a 50 on the asvab. And depending on what state you are in we pay 100% of college tuition. In my state we pay 100% of college tuition. Plus you get the Montgomery GI bill which is $375 tax free extra a month for passing your classes. Me and my wife are both in the guard and couldn’t be happier. I have full insurance coverage for $47 a month, and $900,000 in life insurance for about $55 a month. If you enlisted now you would get the educational benefits immediately, even before you ship to training. Download “your state National Guard” app on your phone and it will show you all of your state specific benefits. Also if you pick one of our top 10-15 jobs ( depending on state) you get a $20k sign on bonus ( granted Uncle Sam taxes the ever living fuck out of it

Also I was infantry for 8 years. Lot of fun, lot of action. But it doesn’t translate to shit in the civilian world

Well, I’ve been sheltered a lot. When I go camping i have a hard time dealing if it starts raining or if it’s too hot, I’ll leave and go home. I’ve had a lot of issues with running from shit when the going gets tough. I think that the training would help a lot with it.

I’m into innawoods stuff and somewhat a prepper. Is the training adequate for that stuff?

Deff don’t go infantry.. it’s not like the movies where you see us in tents on cots.. we sleep on the ground, in the rain, in patrol bases and COPs in the worst possible terrain. I’ve gone 45 days without a shower or a pair of fresh clothes. You will eat an more then shit in the bag several hours later. I love the infantry but I grew up in the woods. You get treated like a caged animal. You get abused and subject to the worst the world has to offer. That’s why we are proud to call ourselves “grunts” because a Grunt can take it. If you aren’t already the infantry type, I guarantee it will break you... I’ve seen lots of joes wash out. Pick a trade user, cyber security is a hot ticket with us right now

If you can handle the mental strain then yes. Anyone can throw on a 85 pound combat load and go ruck 15 miles.. but keep in mind.. that’s just getting TOO work. The hard part is when it’s your 39th day in a row with no shower, and 1 meal a day. It’s been raining the whole time and you are sleeping with no tent. The mosquitos are swarming you and keeping you from sleeping. You haven’t shit in 10 days because of MREs, and you are so overly exhausted you can’t think. Then just when you start dozing off you get woken up at 0400 to get ready for a 12 mile patrol. If you can mentally take that, you will love it

is that what it takes to be a man?

So is this what post boot training is for 11b? Just fucking go out in the woods for a month?

No but it’s what it takes to be a grunt. None of that bullshit makes you a man, it just proves you can handle the suck

Training and deployment. Deployment is a whole new level of suck and boredom tho ( depending on where you’re at)

What’s deployment like in national guard

Heres the thing about Guard, if you just want some tuition assistance and don't expect anything else, you'll be good. If you are looking for any form of competency or good training? Look elsewhere. Active Duty is fucked, Nasty Girls are even worst.

Depends. My first tour we were replacing a BN from the 82nd. Lot of fun that tour,lot of patrolling, decent amount of contact, and nobody gave two shits what we did. Then a did a tour in Afghan a few years back and it was like being in garrison. People spot checking your uniforms and making sure you are cleab shaven. Only contact we took was a few pop shots to the side of our MRAP and a lot of paperwork. Deployments vary

In our state we only have a company, so they get to plenty of infantry stuff, like rucking or sleeping outside in the cold. It's one of those things that sounds cool, but a lot of guys like saying they like it, and don't actually like doing it, so they transfer to something else pretty fast. Also, since it's only a company, promotion is fierce and doesn't come fast so senior guys transfer out a lot as well to so they can progress with their careers.

It's cool, but as long as you genuinely like that shit. I would guess states with more infantry would probably involve more sweeping as they aren't special anymore.

Yeah, benefits vary so much state to state, best to contact a recruiter for that stuff.

You can still do cool shit, like arty, but don't go infantry. That kills most guys in my state. Knowing they have drill coming up and it's raining, they look for any excuse to bail.

Arty you will be outdoors, but not as much. It will build you up that point you're looking for, instead of just jumping in over your head.

Some one come get your private

E-6 but nice try bud

You must mean Army reserve, the Guard is fat with $$

How old is too old for the NG or Army reserve? Do they take late 20 boomers?

They call it "embracing the suck" when you go through what user just described and then turn toward your buddy with a big shit eating grin, you were made for the Infantry. It's a brotherhood for the few.

Fuck you sgt

I'm 24 and enlisted at 20. Pass your PT tests and dont be retarded.

What about Air Guard?

There is a PJ unit not far from me, and that seems fucking cool

inb4 you're not gonna make it

Yeah yeah, I've been training for two years, not saying I'm gonna make it, but the risk/reward ratio seems great

Says the E-3 who hates his duty station and squad leader... isn’t 1SG looking for you to paint rocks or something?

If you have to justify to yourself why you’ll make it on Jow Forums.... bud you ain’t gonna make it

>training for two years
>for air guard

yeah
not gonna make it.

>PJ

I just want to get all those replies out the way

Is NG infantry as hard as this?

Yeah, but we do it drunk and call top by his first name.

This.... if you are not a raging high functioning alcoholic, you will be. My 1SG is the coolest dude ever. He hates when you go to parade rest, and he actually cares. Our typical conversation is “Morning Top”. “ good morning user, how did your dads surgery go last week? Of and by the way tell your brother happy belated birthday”

Other than infantry, which mos will get me in and out of training the fastest

MP, total of 20 weeks of training. But as an MP you won’t do shit in the guard. I would say 88m, truck driver. 17 weeks total and you can get a civilian CDL out of it