So, you've got your defensive weapons and you've stocked up on ammo. Hopefully you've also got your BOB and plan...

So, you've got your defensive weapons and you've stocked up on ammo. Hopefully you've also got your BOB and plan, some food, and maybe some extra medication. That's nice.

But then what? Do you know skills that will help you in SHTF, or have you filled your head with vidya and coding instead?

Can you repair machinery? Do you know how to weld? Do you have any medical training? Are you a good leader? Military experience? Do you know how to grow crops or raise animals? Can you hunt? Fish? Cook? Do you know how to sew? Spin thread? Weave? Can you do leatherwork? How are your bushcraft skills? Can you track animals? Do you have blacksmithing experience? What about carpentry? Can you do metalwork with hand tools? Do you know how to operate manual machine tools? Can you drive a manual transmission? Can you operate a tractor or construction machinery? Do you know how to make a still? What about gunpowder?

What's everyone doing to learn these skills?

Attached: Valuable-SHTF-Skills-for-Preppers.jpg (600x320, 57K)

Sad that people go about learning all this stuff for a happening that might never happen, instead of learning this sort of stuff just to improve your daily life.

Depending on the circumstances, most of those skills won't be necessary for years or won't be necessary at all before the SHTF-event is over.

Not saying learning those skills wouldn't be useful in other ways, or that learning them would be a bad thing, but most take a long time and quite a bit of experience to get good at, something that most people are either uninterested in or incapable of doing do to other obligations.

>i can only find the drive to learn if the skills are useful during the diggeridoo

grow up

I think it's even more sad that many people have to *choose* to learn a lot of it, rather than having been taught by family, friends, and school, as they were growing up.

Quite the opposite actually. I know how to do many of those things simply from my life experience. I don't think it should be something you have to "train" necissarily; I think they are things you should already know (not every single one on the list, of course, but some of them). But if you don't have useful skills then it's better to learn them late than never.

>I think it's even more sad that many people have to *choose* to learn a lot of it, rather than having been taught by family, friends, and school, as they were growing up.
It is very sad. Specially with how easy knowledge can be obtained these days, people still don't take advantage of it.

Yeah, that's frustrating to the Nth degree:

>Cooking is hard
Bitch, stop texting and watch Gordon fucking Ramsay teach you how to do it.

Or you get
>dunno how to fix a flat tire
Spend 5 mins on YouTube so when you do have a flat, you're not fucked because your cell doesn't have signal.

But if you learn it for the boogaloo it also improves your daily life, its a win win

Cooking is easy, if you just want to be decent at it, dont get why bitches complain about it

Yep. Better to learn it for that reason than to never learn it at all.

>can weld, blacksmith apprentice, capable nigrigger, mechanic, etc
Think ill make it

I think so too, but that's easy for me to say since I grew up helping my parents in the kitchen and I now enjoy it as a hobby.

I think the problem happens when people have literally no clue at all because other people made their food for them, or they live on ready-made stuff. When you have no idea how to even start it can seem overwhelming.

But like I posted above, there's really no excuse these days because anyone can just use their computer, phone, tablet, whatever and instantly get access to learning materials.

>Bugging out
It must absolute suck to be an urbancuck

>watch Gordon fucking Ramsay teach you how to do it.
Or buy a couple of cookbooks. Unironically, the Martha Stewart cookbook is an excellent resource. It has lists of what an ideal pantry is stocked with. That is a good starting point for what herbs to grow, and what long term staples to stock up on.

I love cookbooks. The Gordon Ramsay thing was just one of a bajillion hypothetical examples.

But the point I was trying to make, and apparently failed to, was that the devices which people carry around and tend to mainly use as toys can also be used to teach yourself skills. People can bitch and moan about not having cookbooks or not having time to go to the library or to go buy them or whatever else, but these days everybody has instant access to the information in their pocket.

And that said, I do think that videos are especially good for beginners because they show you everything. You get to see and hear what the process should look like. It's much easier for a noob to duplicate what they see the person do on the screen than it is to read text directions. "Saute the onions" could be vague to a beginner, but watching a video is not.

If that's your reason for learning such things, by all means let it be the motivation. I just do it for improving my daily life

>What's everyone doing to learn these skills?

Studying materials about each subject and practicing. This is the only way to develop skills. I can post my list of books if anyone wants them. It covers weaponry, hunting, strategy and tactics, general survival, agriculture, stockpiling, medicine, shelter building and maintenance, automotives, communications, psychology, and various crafting skills. I actually think the list covers all of your questions.

Been practicing hand jobs on myself so I can give to others during boogalo and be valuable.
>Right hand - check
>Left hand - check
>Double hand - check
>Surprise hand - check
Was once a day on stamina, up to several an hour now and able to use rudimentary environmental items to prevent chaffing.

>and practicing.
That's good to hear.

Too many people just get books or download info dumps....and that's it. Reference materials are good, but skills need to be practiced to be developed.

Don't forget "the stranger".

>Don't forget "the stranger".
Can't practice the stranger because I'll recognize it.

Can weld, do plumbing, and small electrical work.
If you want to learn to weld, Harbor Freight can get you started for 200$ with the 100$ stick welder and supplies. It wont be easy as its a pain in the ass machine to use but it is good for at home projects and fixes.

Attached: 1519408268395.jpg (376x210, 41K)