Why isn’t Bolter ammunition a thing?

Why isn’t Bolter ammunition a thing?
I get that the average rifle caliber would snap your shoulder in half due to the sheer force, but why not make something that takes pistol caliber rounds?

I guarantee you the standard 9mm bolter round would chew through metal like a .50 caliber round.

For those who don’t know what bolter ammunition is, it is not only propelled the the explosion when it is sent down the bore, but is also propelled like a rocket from a small fuel reserve within the jacket further accelerating its speed, causing massive damage when it hits its target.

Attached: 05C4A566-F25B-466D-9B54-E031FC3F17C0.png (442x253, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Bolt_weapon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>recoil
It’s caseless you dumbass

gb2/tg/

First post worst post.

You guys are fucking retarded. Rocket ammo does not increase recoil significantly and caseless ammo still has recoil unless the gun is of recoilless rifle design. The reason it doesn't work is because you can't hit the broadside of a barn with it.

shouldn't 15 year olds like you be working at mcdonalds or something at this time of day during the summer?

Ever heard of the gyro jet guns? Shit then equals probably shit now

>inlayed gemstone in the round
Ahh, now I see why the Imperial Guard uses lasers instead of bolters, ammo would cost more than the golden throne.

is the breech also open when fired? otherwise there's recoil you physics failure

Because current ammunition is perfectly effective and cheap for what they are. Adding the complexity to them only serves to up the cost. Putting rockets on them wouldn't do a whole hell of a lot either. Now you have a ridiculously expensive bullet that's only 0.1% better then whatever you can grab at walmart.

Why does 40k spawn as much retardation as it does? I mean I get it. It's supposed to be silly and over the top but the sheer amount of stupidity it oozes is mind boggling.

At some point people forgot that the franchise is intended as a parody

>I guarantee you the standard 9mm bolter round would chew through metal like a .50 caliber round.

Attached: 1503862183286.jpg (1080x1080, 166K)

Problem with gyro jet was it wasn't reliable at close range

warhammer fags are worse than weebs

Descriptions in rule books != Reality

Is that a guarantee backed up by math or is this one of those kickstarter guarantees?

>Rocket ammo does not increase recoil significantly
No shit.
But the fuckhuge gunpowder charge does. What part of gunpowder + rocket do you not understand? It's like a combination of a gyrojet and a normal round.

>Why does 40k spawn as much retardation as it does?
Look at the art style. Imagine what kind of people would be attracted to that.

It also was inaccurate. This could be hypothetically overcome by a primary powder charge launching the projectile down a traditional barrel.

is Jow Forums being invaded or something? 50% of the place is summer child shitposts.

>I guarantee you the standard 9mm bolter round would chew through metal like a .50 caliber round.
And I guarantee your parents dropped you as a child.

Anyone have a 40k rulebook laying around? Is this
>the standard 9mm bolter round would chew through metal like a .50 caliber round.
line literally straight out of the description of the manual?

Attached: D_zK6VSWkAA2cqi.jpg (1086x1134, 110K)

No, of fucking course not. 40K e-peen fanboys are the worst. I blame Dawn of War.

Because it isn't practical for modern warfare. Conventional small arms are cheaper, easier to produce, and are capable of neutralizing infantry (and even light armor in some cases). Bolter shells are designed to penetrate a layer of incredibly thick armor, then explode inside the target. As of right now, the only targets that have that level of armor plating are tanks, which we can neutralize with CAS, artillery, other tanks, or rocket fire. The only good thing we could take from the bolter is that they're caseless ammunition, probably using nitrocellulose casing. We could use that instead of steel, brass or aluminium casing, simply because it's more sustainable (nitrocellulose can be synthesized from grass).
TL;DR; There's no need for bolters, so we aren't developing them.

Clarification: tanks aren't the only thing that's immune to small arms fire. APCs and IFVs are usually immune as well.

Yes, that would work.
And that's exactly how rocket-assisted artillery works too.

You'd lose many of the advantages that a Gyrojet has like being quiet, having a very light frame, and having low recoil, but you'd lose the disadvantages too. It's just fancy super ammo for a normal gun. Just as loud, just as much recoil.

This really
It was always supposed to be tongue in cheek campy parody/satire
The problem is that the market for games like this is full of neckbeard autists who don't have the social skills to realize this and they take it seriously, leading to a fanbase who genuinely believe what they read in the codex.

And of course, that bolter shells are a retarded way to defeat armor, and shaped charges would be better in every way.

One of the things people forget about all the human technology in 40k is that it’s literally powered using hell and/or is a poor copy of things that humanity is no longer able to produce, the copies made by the pants on head organization known as the Admech.
No shit it doesn’t make sense (for the most part. Lasguns would be pretty neat if we had the electronics and optics to mass produce them).

>fuckhuge gunpowder charge
lol how are ya gonna fit all that power in the 9mm para case?

Warhammer is older than you are.

That's because it *is* summer. Kids just got out of school and now they have all day to shitpost.

And? I don't go around making absolutely retarded posts like OP. Sucking dick is a pastime thousands of years old but OP's little zoomer twink mouth loves that shit.

It’s like if Spaceballs became a massive series with multiple movies, TV shows, vidya, and shitloads of MERCHANDISE, instead of remaining a one of movie. I doubt that Geedubs ever expected what was essentially Warhammer Fantasy in space to succeed like it did. I’m not comparing ‘cause I like it, but I seriously doubt that anyone expected it to take off like it did, and eventually it got so big that it started taking itself seriously.

*complaining not comparing

Look. What we need to do is develop a gun that fires a long tube at 1,500 fps.

This tube would be a double ended smooth bore barrel. One end is loaded with a bullet and propellant. The other is loaded with a blank load to cancel the recoil of the bullet.

Let's say it was a 9mm platform. You'd fire a round and this 9mm tube would go flying down range at 1,500 fps. Then, shortly after leaving the barrel and at maximum velocity, the tube would fire, with both the bullet charge and counterweight charge firing at the same time. You'd then have a full size 9mm bullet going at 3,000 fps that could blow through a sumo wrestler.

Nobody here has even heard of Lexicanum, I take it. Bolters aren't caseless. In fact they very specifically have a conventional powder charge to get the round out of the barrel BEFORE the gyrojet effect takes over. They aren't inherently armor piercing, either. It's just the nature of the .75 cal round having better penetration than a fucking laser, not unlike how .30 cal rifles have superior barrier penetration than .22 rifles.

It uses rocket fuel not gunpowder, look at how well that turned out for the gyrojet

40K never took itself seriously. The fans however.

Lexicanum doesn't say shit about your so-called kicker charges.

I don't know if you're aware, user, but 'bolters' are MADE UP, and NOT REAL.

Expense. No one will ever make a 10k $ prototype of a 9mm round.
You have rocket tech to add to ballistics with all the problems of both, with the added bonus of its form factor.
It would cost more then anyone even the US military would ever be willing to pay for no performance increase.
The form factor would detract from its utility.
Rockets are big for a reason, making small rockets offers nothing over just a slug and a cannon.
But yes you could build 10k thousand dollar rockets for no reason at all.

Each bolt is contained within a cartridge which includes a small conventional powder charge. When fired, this charge launches the bolt while simultaneously igniting its solid fuel propellant, which is timed to do so once it is clear of the barrel. The cartridge is then ejected, clearing the breech for the next round, while the bolt accelerates towards the target under its own power. This system helps alleviate the problem in using rocket-propelled munitions, as the gases are not trapped within the barrel and cannot cause problems due to over-pressure. The two-stage process also keeps the weapon's recoil to manageable levels, compared to conventional weapons of similar calibre.[4]
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Bolt_weapon

A single space marine bolter round is more valuable than an entire imperial guard platoon.

1. We've tried gyrojet ammo before and it was a total failure. The bolter's initial charge would help but it would make the cartridge significantly more complex and thus expensive and prone to failure. It would weigh a lot more, too, which is surprisingly important when you realize logistics is one of the most important factors in warfare.
2. It would be illegal (at least for anti personnel use) under international law. That would probably relegate it for anti armor use if allowable, but we already have anti armor rockets and other munitions that do the same job just fine. It doesn't really have a niche to sit in.

It certainly wouldn't be feasible for large-scale adoption, but there's no technical reason it wouldn't work. Hell, we are doing it currently with rocket-assisted cannons.

Expense and complexity, among other reasons.

Forge world is basically fanfiction. Every subsequent fluff on bolters ignores it. Not saying that Imperial Armour isnt a fine piece of work, but it is what it is.

Depends on the "pattern" of the bolter. The creators of the franchise realised it looks cool when a gun spits out soda can sized brass, so they made some types of bolter that do that.

Lasguns are weak in 40k.

>Why does 40k spawn as much retardation as it does?
>Look at the art style. Imagine what kind of people would be attracted to that.

Nerdy edgelords, clearly. The autism probably just comes from most fans doing nothing but laughing at the spergs in the fandom. Nerd culture going mainstream invariably brings with it a bunch of cringe.

Attached: daemonculaba.jpg (638x654, 93K)

Why would you want to spend hundreds of dollars per round to make complex miniature explosive rockets, when normal bullets that cost a few cents a round to produce are perfectly adequate to kill people?

Bolters are only a thing in 40k because the Space Marines have to fight giant alien bugs and evil dudes in power armor.