So what's the deal with the BAE Tempest?

So what's the deal with the BAE Tempest?

>UK and Sweden signed a MOU on future combat aircraft technologies but neither Sweden nor SAAB joined "Team Tempest".
>no other potential partners
>defence minister forced to explain that Tempest isn't a paper plane
>announcement of two other projects with hypersonic propulsion and defence space program, despite without meaningful numbers

Can we expect that anything will actually happen with the Tempest or will it and several things slowly get killed by the next White Paper in 2020?

I don't think there is much market left for a 6th gen plane if the American and that France-German projects are already years ahead.

Attached: Tempest_Context_Signature_Image.jpgB662D8DD-16C4-4FE6-A1A0-88B4C1C397A6Default.jpg (1480x800, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

defensenews.com/global/europe/2019/07/18/british-military-scrambles-to-speed-up-work-on-hypersonic-engines-weapons/
youtube.com/watch?v=Zdo5EKlcfYc
twitter.com/WachterBDI/status/1152543737039466496?s=19
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I think it was intended to be a sort of "hail mary" type of thing to try and get the countries that aren't already working on a next-gen fighter together, but the Tempest hasn't really attracted a lot of real interest.
>hypersonic propulsion
The Bongs are trying for an SR-72 type thing?

defensenews.com/global/europe/2019/07/18/british-military-scrambles-to-speed-up-work-on-hypersonic-engines-weapons/

But you don't need to read the article past the first sentence

>Britain’s defense ministry is stepping up its interest in hypersonics with a $12 million contract to Rolls-Royce and its industrial partners to develop high-Mach aircraft propulsion systems.

It's a joke.

Only hope of getting a decent yuro 6th gen is merging FCAS and Tempest tbqh

From a strategic point of view it's about maintaining the aerospace capability to build a 6th gen fighter, the main contracts won't be signed for years if ever, but the govt. wants to keep the options open rather than risk rolling up in 10 years wanting a 6th gen fighter only to have RR & BAe turn around and go "well these were deeply unprofitable divisions so we shut them down, now we literally can't do any of that. I hope you guys like buying chinese or american"

You're also forgetting that the Tempest is pulling heavily from the REPLICA expertise and like the FCAS it has been in development for a number of years already. It's not possible to say which program is furthest ahead because it's all being done behind closed doors.

Of course, that's too nuanced for the 13 year olds and russians on Jow Forums that conveniently forget that the UK is one of the largest economies on the earth with one of the most developed tech sectors.

Remember kids PAKFA = GOOD, WEST DOOMED. F35, TEMPEST, FCAS = BAD, WEST DOOMED.

DOA

youtube.com/watch?v=Zdo5EKlcfYc

But if that drama doesn't end in a developement of an actual aircraft then the capabilities will be gone as well

Where are the Bongs who claimed that Tempest is years ahead?

Well the F35 IS bad

Attached: 8yvcqurvzun11.jpg (490x586, 19K)

gone

Designing aircraft isn't a linear path. They're ahead in some ways, behind in others. Some are over defensive, others are over critical.

But hey, welcome to fucking Jow Forums, where reasonable discourse is impossible.

Tempest hasn't started at all. There is a reason why the defense minister was forced to do that Tempest is not a paper plane speech.

What we know of Tempest isn't more than an industry pitch.

It's just delusions of a dead empire.

What a trash island

>American and that France-German projects are already years ahead.

It is years ahead. France and Germany are still discussing their shared requirements. The UK completed that in 2015-2017 and had been working on Tempest for a year before it was announced. The jet is also based on work done in the 90's for the UK's 5th gen programs before they were merged with JSF.

The UK has £2bn of funding and have people already working on the design.

FCAS don't even have a firm concept yet.

This spin on the OP shows how assblasted he is over tempest.

That's some denial

>no other potential partners
Given how fucked up the eurofighter and F35 development was, this seems like a good thing.

i don't see a rebuttal

You just posted nonsense

>The UK completed that in 2015-2017
The Tempest program doesn't have any partners though. If they found a foreign country for team Tempest, they'd have to hash out the requirements that the other nation has for a next-generation fighter. SCAF or whatever the fuck it's called already has Germany,France, and Spain onboard.

>You just posted nonsense

Which bit specifically?

>The Tempest program doesn't have any partners though.

It has industry partners. Companies who clearly see the financial viability.

The UK is using the F35 model of the UK leading the way with companies and countries who see the benefits join later on in return for some work share.

its the British equivalent of the F-22. its going to compliment the F-35 much like how the F-22 does for the USAF.

I'm assuming you meant to reply to me...
>It has industry partners. Companies who clearly see the financial viability.
I was talking about international partners, who will likely each have very different requirements in a fighter. Defense contractors aren't really relevant to this conversation.
>The UK is using the F35 model of the UK leading the way with companies and countries who see the benefits join later on in return for some work share.
And how is that going to work? Who's going to even sign up for that? We have Sweden, but they're wishy-washy, and I doubt they'll agree to hand their aerospace industry over to the UK.

It's the typical British denial. Like any nation would accept a junior role and accept whatever UK wants and is only there to send them money. After finding enough partners Tempest would need to go through non technical and technical studies like FCAS already did or does right now before any development can start.

And Sweden hasn't even joined Tempest. Saab is not part of Team Tempest.

>I was talking about international partners, who will likely each have very different requirements in a fighter. Defense contractors aren't really relevant to this conversation.

Sweden needs a fighter to replace Gripen on the same timescale as the UK needs a fighter to replace Typhoon. The requirments are already alinged.

Italy uses the same aircraft (typhoon, Tornado, F35) as the UK and they need to replace typhoon too.

If you build it they will come.

trying to hash out an aircraft with competing requirements is a proven recepie for delay and failure in Europe.

>the UK imagine they have the position and geopolitical weight to attract junior partners the way the US can.

Adorable

>please based Empire, accept my 40 billions so you can do whatever you want with it

Says no Sweden ever

>i am just going to write my fanfiction strawmen of things that the British aren't doing

>france builds a fighter
>Jow Forums doesn't care
>sweden builds a fighter
>Jow Forums doesn't car
>uk builds a fighter
>REEEEEEEEE u-cucks are cucks mohammed jooz loisense am i rite?

I love how two weeks ago we had buttblasted euros saying Sweden would never join. Now that they have it's just more seething jealousy.

Europe has never collaborated on a successful aircraft project without the UK.

Lmao

>Europe has never collaborated on a successful project

fixed

Sweden hasn't joined.

you can keep saying that as much as you like.

But Sweden has thrown it's lot in with the UK and there's literally nothing you can do about it.

>Sweden needs a fighter to replace Gripen on the same timescale as the UK needs a fighter to replace Typhoon. The requirments are already alinged.
And Sweden has a large aerospace industry that can develop fighter aircraft and are keen on export. Why would they just give that up for the Tempest? They already have a future fighter program of their own- The Flygsystem 2020.
>Italy uses the same aircraft (typhoon, Tornado, F35) as the UK and they need to replace typhoon too.
Italy does not have the money to develop a new fighter. Nor have they shown any interest really, outside of the UK division of Leonardo being involved in the industry consortium.

In any case, even if either of these nations join, there still wouldn't be enough money to develop Tempest; both of these nations have relatively small fleets that need to be replaced. A much larger partner would have to be found.

Attached: saabconcept.jpg (800x590, 121K)

I know that facts and Bongs aren't the best friends

>And Sweden has a large aerospace industry t

They really don't.

> that can develop fighter aircraft and are keen on export

Sweden have some of the most restrictive arms export laws on the planet. Gripen was also a UK design.

>Italy does not have the money to develop a new fighter.

Good thing they only have to contribute rather than fund the whole thing.

>Nor have they shown any interest really

Your head is in the sand. italian industry has been screaming for Italy to join for a year.

>In any case, even if either of these nations join, there still wouldn't be enough money to develop Tempest; both of these nations have relatively small fleets that need to be replaced. A much larger partner would have to be found.

I don't think you have a clue about the figures you are talking about.

The UK is perfectly happy to pump billions into a project if it means putting continentals in their place.

Sweden and UK just signed a MOU to check if both countries' requirements for a next generation platform can lead to a joint development.

France and UK had several MOUs which didn't lead to anything.

That one news report two weeks ago was quite misleading.

They should maybe put some of that money to have more than a handful tanks or ships to actually be able to protect their own waters.

Ordering more than 48 F-35B would be a good start too.

RENT FREE

Tempest needs Sweden, Italy and Japan to be sustainable.

And none of those nations will want a junior role.

>Sweden have some of the most restrictive arms export laws on the planet. Gripen was also a UK design.
That doesn't change that they're keen on exporting it. And I'm going to need a citation on the UK designing it.
>Good thing they only have to contribute rather than fund the whole thing.
Given how stretched the UK defense budget is, they'd need to fund quite a lot. And really, what does joining Tempest offer them, as opposed to joining the FCAS project that's farther along?
>Your head is in the sand. italian industry has been screaming for Italy to join for a year.
Who has been "screaming" for Italy to join other than that think tank that wanted the two projects merged.
>The UK is perfectly happy to pump billions into a project if it means putting continentals in their place.
Oh, I'm sure. That's why the UK has transferred their entire land defense industry over to Germany.

Not gonna happen.

UK is actually rather butthurt that France went with Germany for FCAS.

>That doesn't change that they're keen on exporting it.

To fewer countries.

>And I'm going to need a citation on the UK designing it.

P.96 and P.106 were designed before Gripen and were brought back to life by BAE when SAAB and Sweden paid BAE for design work.

Gripen was a design partnership for a long time until BAE sold it's shares once Typhoon entered the market as they couldn't split resources between two competing products.

Literally everything you're saying has the dumbest anti UK slant. if you can't have a discussion without your preconceptions and feelings getting hurt then you really shouldn't be posting.

>44 posts from 13 IP's

another garbage thread.

Attached: 1043.jpg (600x330, 93K)

Except it was the UK that told France it wasn't going to continue with FCAS (or the french variety of it) and it was the UK that decided not to contribute further funding.

The UK even stopped replying to France's messages

>I never had a clear answer to that question," he says. "I have tried to meet with the Ministry of Defence, with the secretary of state and the people in charge of procurement in Whitehall.

They were literally ghosted at the same time Tempest was already underway in secret.

>To fewer countries.
If that was truly the case, then they would not have sold Gripens to Thailand.
>P.96 and P.106 were designed before Gripen and were brought back to life by BAE when SAAB and Sweden paid BAE for design work.
That isn't what I asked for, I asked for a source.
>Literally everything you're saying has the dumbest anti UK slant
If you want to get angry that's okay. Your lack of any rebuttal is rather telling though.

twitter.com/WachterBDI/status/1152543737039466496?s=19

Oh god...

>twitter.com/WachterBDI/status/1152543737039466496?s=19

>Federation of German Industries

Literal damage control

The basic design of the Gripen was designed by Volvo, Ericsson and FV Aerotech in 1981 - long before BAe decided to go with the German delta canard TKF-90 design.

i've given you all you need, i'm not here to spoon feed you. If you didn't know that Gripen was a UK design then you're really not qualified to take part in a discussion on European combat aircraft.

>butthurt reaction
>can't even read the article

Not really. What you've done is skirt around my arguments and now are attempting to change the subject to something unrelated (what you claim to be British influence towards the gripen design without any source), it is really rather pathetic. But if you want to live in your delusions that's fine by me- I'm sure those partner nations will start lining up any minute now.

That article is great. The British side tried to twist it as if Sweden and Tempest was a clear thing. While Sweden actually only want to look a little bit and maybe get something out for Gripen first

>possible emerge 2021

That means that if there is no other delay by other nations. Tempest would be in 2021 there where France and Germany already are.

I think that's just an attempt to scrounge up military funding for the SABRE hypersonic-dual mode thing for that SSTO space plane that britain had started funded with the eye towards it becoming the ESA's main light launch vehicle... back before all this brexit shit, obviously.

Attached: nanachi using a vibrator.gif (528x556, 896K)

ITT

Attached: vatnik.png (205x246, 20K)

How so?

The glory empire

BAe joined Gripen in like 1995.

That was sure a very butthurt Bong

With RR not delievering turboshaft engines to Turkey anymore I guess Turkey as potential Tempest partner is dead.

So how far along are the mutts in all this? We have maybe two 6th gen programs on the continent yet they've got two programs for one military. How many years beyond us are they?

The two American 6th gen planes will be merged.

Attached: 1555508043603.jpg (1116x863, 526K)

Hey, there's a chance of it coming to ace combat
so that'll be pretty neat

>European collaborative projects

Aren't these things always catastrophes of French seething, German miserliness, Italian uselessness and British meddling?

It's why the arabfighter typhoon looks like an ugly 50s era delta-wing tragedy

no

Europe just developed the best WVR and BVR missiles.

>Wahabi and Bismilahi visual range missiles

the PL-15 is in all aspects better than anything that some pathetic european conglomerate can develop.

When the killzone is larger than the CEP, aiming becomes optional.

>So how far along are the mutts in all this?
For the Navy at least, the F/A-XX was being planned as far back as pre-2008. If we take the ATF and JSF programs as past examples expect to see a prototype fly-off in the early-mid 2020's.

Attached: ng-esav1.png (1306x700, 558K)

>Reeee it's british so I hate it

These threads are all exactly the same

It's more like
>Stop asking logical questions about the viability of the Tempest! British are so oppressed on this board

okay

Brexit in a nutshell

Only wings gonna become the greatest fad.

Seems like a vanity project to me.
The Italians are likely to drop out (with a bunch of hand-wringing and excuses) after the inevitably predictable conclusion of the whole Brexit fuckfest come November. Salvini is a loudmouthed cunt, but he's aware that Italy needs to remain in the economical good graces of France and Germany.
The only people who would be left hanging in such a case are the Swedish. Due to their doctrine, twinjets are a nonstarter for the Flygvapnet, and the FCAS is firmly a twinjet design. They need a monojet design, and right now there isn't one that would be also politically palatable.

>>no other potential partners
Italy may join.
>Can we expect that anything will actually happen with the Tempest or will it and several things slowly get killed by the next White Paper in 2020?
It will be made even if it is shit or hugely over buget or both.

>based on a 5th gen design

Trash

Why don't they just join FCAS or ask America?

National ego.

>Why don't they just join FCAS
You don't really know the bongs well, do you....
>or ask America
Why bother involving the Brits in PCA/NGAD?

>just join FCAS
It'll be a fifth gen

>or ask America?
They wouldnt be allowed to join.

>It'll be a fifth gen
*sixth gen

Look at the design requirements. It's a 5.5 gen at the max.

Is it an AI spamming these threads of

>IMAGE WITH WHITE BACKGROUND
>RANDOM QUESTION

???

Because UK is world leading or something like that