Will falling over a grenade save your buddies from death? Is this just a movie trope?

Will falling over a grenade save your buddies from death? Is this just a movie trope?

Attached: 5FFDB4F7-FB48-4A83-A933-9F40FEBD1CBB.jpg (460x345, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mPLyGYhbedE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

think mythbusters did an episode on it and yeah it works

Yes because you are throwing a meat sandbag in a kevalr ballistic vest on it

people have actually survived jumping on a grenade, usually by placing a thick cushion between them and the grenade, like a filled back pack

mythbusters also simulated jumping on a grenade, it vastly decreased the frag sent out

/thread

You're supposed to dig a grenade sump in your trench.

Attached: Fig2-19.gif (450x708, 77K)

it does.

Here's a better question, is it worth doing?
Let's assume you're dying if you dive on it. Would it kill a bunch of people if you did nothing?
What are the odds that the shrapnel or concussion blast are lethal compared to the certainty of death you face diving on it?
The way I hear it, grenades are not that effective. I think I'd rather roll the dice and pray for no crits.

your post is 100% irrelevant to the thread good job

grenades have a small killzone but a decent injure radius. realistically if you can get anything between you and a grenade, you'll probably be alright.

'heros' aren't winners. take a dive in the opposite direction: flatten belly-down, hands on back of head, feet towards explosive. it could be only meters away and you'd have very decent odds of not being outright killed. probably some fragmentation up your ass and shredded legs but you'd be still be breathing. unless you're unlucky.

theres a couple stories from early 2000s where grenades ended up in HMMWVs or on the ground near patrols and someone successfully martyr'd themselves on it to save their buddies.

I believe theres one where someone reacted so instantly that they were able to throw their helmet over it before jumping on it themselves. they still die obviously

What about catching the grenade in a modern helmet and holding it facing away from you?

>that they were able to throw their helmet over it before jumping on it themselves
this is what the marines teach, actually
iirc there are multiple instances of this saving the hero's life but they're still fucked because they just tanked a fucking k-pot to the abdomen with the full force of a nade

I would imagine having a backpack over it with a good vest would allow the pressures to get out while catching most of the shrapnel.

What if you used like, 2 helmets, stood on the helmets, and then rocketjumped?

kick that shit away, I don't want that Medal of Honor.

are you an idiot?
why don't you try it

yes but it's easier to get your kevlar off than it is a pack.
yeah this would work and in an ideal situation would allow the marine to gain a height advantage and no scope the fag who threw the grenade
they teach that too, but it's at an advanced course

Grenades are designed so you won’t avoid the blast radius if you kick it, idiot. Real life doesn't have the cowadoody throw back grenade option

the "fuze" is too short for any interaction aside from jumping on it.
5 seconds tops for the standard m67 US grenades and I assume similar for w/e any bad guy would use.
at least 1 second of air time puts it at 4
you hear or see it land.
you have 3 seconds now to get it over 15m away and into cover.
or, you know, just hit the deck

> enemy throws grenade
> you grab it with your helmet and propel a cone of explosives and shrapnel back at him

Pretty rad desu

>bad guy

Sped-ops

Attached: 4QyiS2M.jpg (975x600, 62K)

good guys don't throw grenades in your general direction

Attached: 1557463822511.png (568x568, 15K)

>freedom fighters in afganistan and middle east don't use grenades

good guys don't throw grenades in your general direction

>freedom fighters
The only freedom they're fighting for is the freedom to live in allah's paradise.
>no bad guys in war guise

You're a mook. They guys who aren't your friends are the bad guys. If you're fighting them they're bad to you.

There was a dude who did that wearing body armor and he actually survived. I can't be bothered to find the story but i think it was a shitty grenade lol

Kyle Carpenter

Throw your helmet on top and stand on it.

I thought grenade jumping had been forbiden by the global war exploits documentations of 1987

>>freedom fighters in afganistan and middle east don't use grenades

bull
fucking
shit

yeah that's why kyle carpenter received a dishonorable discharge for breaking the regs when he jumped on the nade.
he's been quoted as saying "if i had to redo it all, i'd have let my gunny die that day". the citation highlights how his gunny immediately chewed him out after the grenade detonated for needlessly destroying USMC issured gear. it wasn't his helmet to destroy

Which one of their interns did they sacrifice for that test?

>The way I hear it, grenades are not that effective
That would depend on the grenade in question.

>What are the odds that the shrapnel or concussion blast are lethal compared to the certainty of death you face diving on it?
How good is your squad doing if they're all lying concussed and bleeding on the ground when the enemy move in on them?

Don't be so fucking hung up on semantics you goddamn autist. If you're upset about politics; you're the one who brought up conflicts in particular, user was talking about the general hypothetical, not attached to any specific conflict or event.

Only true rangers can grenade/rocket jump.

Attached: rocketjumping.png (648x2452, 157K)

His gunny sounds like a dickhead.

>Allah's Paradise

Attached: 1552168414882.jpg (747x411, 74K)

It's only a few ounces of explosive. They can be very dangerous, obviously, but movies tend to make people think they go off like a 2 gallon gasoline bomb rather then a large firecracker.

You can literally just toss your helmet over it and that minimizes about 40% of its threat to you and the people around you right there. Lay down and now that number is at 70%. Grenades are outdated toys that are only seen on modern battlefields because of room clearing.

Sounds like it's time for a more potent explosive.

How are they outdated when they're used for roomclearing?
I mean what the fuck else are you gonna use grenades for, trench warfare?

>Outdated toys.
>Forcing your enemy to advance carefully or construct countermeasures against nearly immediate splinter attacks.

The purpose of the hand grenade isn't to kill, it's to force your enemy to wear 10 lbs of kevlar.

Wheres that old Jow Forums comic about those modular grenades that where being developed where you could screw more grenades onto the ends of eachother to make huge super grenades. They said you could attach more to clear larger rooms or something, and some user made a comic where a squad screws together every grenade they can find end to end to make a big "pole" of grenades. i think a guy threw it like a spear and they killed themselves and leveled a city block.

This. It's like saying a GPMG is useless and dated because you don't directly kill a lot of enemies with them.

>We've been spending most our lives living in Allah's paradise
>We sell wives at discount price, living in Allah's paradise

I remember that stupid thing, and I kind of wonder why you can't just throw multiple grenades held together with tape or something.

You'd prob loose your fingies, break your wrists and get a kpot to the face at high velocity

>your buddies
what if im not friends with anyone in the platoon, just a professional working relationship?

i don't expect them to sacrifice themselves to save my ass either

Germans would bind six grenade warheads around one of the stick grenades in order to create a crude charge for AT and heavy grenade work. It was pretty stupid, but moderately effective.

Now I imagined Weird Al in a turban and with a long ragged beard.

As I walk 'round the cube where I pray to Allah
I take a look at my goat and I slit the thing's throat
Fool, I've been praising and jihading so long that
All of the West thinks my mind has gone
I gun down innocents who don't deserve it
A maniacal Muslim, don't think that's unheard of

If you have time to jump on the nade you have time to yell "GRENADE" and have all of your buddies hit the ground and 99% not get hurt unless they are less than 3 meters from it

MGS2 style force fields that deactivate live grenades in the fields influence when?

How would that even work mechanically?

It wouldn't. If it was possible in any way the militaries around the world would have made such a device. You can fuck up electronic seismic AT mines and radio controlled explosives but there is literally nothing you can do against a dumb explosive

Depends on how the weapon is designed to explode, and its timer/fuse. In MGS2 it was a magical magnetic forcefield that could cause bullets to "bend" around the user, and grenades wouldnt explode in its range.

But I bet theres probably some crazy science shit you could do by focusing certain types of radiation/radiowaves/etc at a grenade that would prevent it from igniting its payload, or stop a mechanical part from moving inside it. But it most likely wouldnt be something you could carry around with you at all times and have ready to go in 2 seconds.

>they can use lasers to play sounds in your ear from a distance now, by vibrating water molecules in the air right next to your ear so nobody else can hear it

a soldier got a medal of honor for doing that exact thing and saving his fellow soldiers. Then again he had level 4 interceptor armor on.

>by focusing certain types of radiation/radiowaves/etc at a grenade that would prevent it from igniting its payload, or stop a mechanical part from moving inside it.
nigga right now and for possibly the next few hundred years this is both theoretically and practically incredibly impossible.
>they can use lasers to play sounds in your ear from a distance now, by vibrating water molecules in the air right next to your ear so nobody else can hear it
This shit is actually practically impossible as well. Just because its technically possible to do this in laboratory conditions doesnt mean its practically do-able

>This shit is actually practically impossible as well. Just because its technically possible to do this in laboratory conditions doesnt mean its practically do-able

And thats why they keep researching it and improving it, so that in 30 years they can beam targeted ads into your fucking brain and you cant escape it.

Yes, jumping on a grenade works, and will save your friends. You're more likely to survive nowadays with armor.
good trick, doesn't work all the time.
youtube.com/watch?v=mPLyGYhbedE

>"grenades have a small killzone but a decent injure radius"
>remember being told the M67 has a kill radius of 3 meters or something
>briefly wonder if I could survive one being thrown into my room
>briefly think of what I'd do
>first thought is to jump in bed and hide under my blanket
>I was in the Marines

nah mane that laser sound shit is actually incredibly difficult. Remember when people were shitting themselves over gauss/rail guns? Well that technology is pretty much abandoned now. Remember when people thought you could use lasers to shoot down missiles from orbit? Well that idea is pretty much abandoned as well. Just because something works as a concept doesnt mean its practically feasable

I can take off my backpack in 3 seconds ngl

good for you buddy. Now count for the second it takes for you to notice the grenade and the second it takes for you to process what to do next. There is a reason why SOP is to yell "GRENADE" and leap away and hit the deck

You already counted that in you massive nigger

i didnt count shit faggot as a matter of fact i dont even know how to read

Tbqh, he should've known better than to damage .gov property

Troof. Different weapons have different roles. A dmr with an ACOG is not optimal for clearing rooms.

Them not immediately dying doesn't matter if you suddenly have an entire fire team lying wounded, concussed, and combat ineffective. There's more to consider than the immediate lethality of everyone around. If the enemy are within grenade throwing distance your buddies are going to be fucked if they are now just wounded and unable to effectively fire and maneuve while the enemy still is.

This is wrong. You always lay with your head towards the grenade because your helmet is literally designed to take shrapnel, and your underside is your least armored.