Were 1911's generally more reliable in the 40's-60's when they were "made right" as some people say or are modern...

Were 1911's generally more reliable in the 40's-60's when they were "made right" as some people say or are modern, quality brands like ed brown or whatever just as reliable? Or was it always a shit design and that's why most people stuck with revolvers for so long?

Attached: Colt.jpg (2048x1536, 579K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Q7XUtgIVo7k
how-i-did-it.org/magazines/
how-i-did-it.org/magazines2/
modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3250
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogue
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Its not really about being made right. It's about their tolerances. Hyper high end 1911s like Ed browns are actually very unreliable because they have such tight tolerances and are known for not cycling certain kinds of ammo.

Also people stuck with revolvers because of demand and permanency of them. Budgetary needs often just used revolvers because that's sort of what people knew and automatic pistols weren't readily available like they are today. It wasn't until the 80s did you start seeing the switch to autoloaders

This is false, super high end 1911s are tight were they should be without it impacting reliability.

Modern 1911s have some issues because the design requires a certain ammount of tuning/fitting.
Stacking tolerances in a mostly machine made gun can make it loose or tight where it shouldnt.

The cheaper manufacturers will usually run with looser tolerances and have a bigger variance of dimensions within those.
Good mass market mfgs will produce consistent parts within tight tolerances that doesnt produce an issue.
Dan wesson etc.

As a general rule ive found with firearms, precision weapons generally have higher tolerances and are picky girls when it comes to ammo in terms of reliability. Weapons you want to go bang every time and dont necessarily care about taking the wings off a wasp at 200 yards dont usuaply require as high tolerances and will eat whatever food you give em. With that said, the average room temp iq fudd would probably consider weapon #2 a good girl and "reliable" without the characteristics of weapon #1 that warrant it being "unreliable."

Then if course there's weapon number 3 thats just shit.

Yes i am 30 and i was in the marine corps for 8 years before being medically retired just before ssgt i do think i know what im talking about even though i was "pog".

I bet i can still take any of you down from afar or upclose. If you have any problems im exp ed cting to be hearing them now

> the design requires a certain amount of tuning/fitting.
Then how come 1911's had such a good reputation in and around WW2 when they were producing millions of the things as fast as possible? Wartime 1911's were surely not handfitted and tuned when they needed to produce so many very quickly?

>This is false, super high end 1911s are tight were they should be without it impacting reliability.
You've literally never owned a les baer or an ed brown if you think this is even remotely true.

because they had far more loose tolerances.

If you're a pogue you don't get to reference your job unless it gives you direct knowledge, i.e. an armorer. You're not going to get any response except derision from 0311/11b's if you try to pull that garbage so you're better off just trying to make a good point that stands on its own.

A sloppy mil spec 1911 preferably issue will be the most reliable auto loader you own hands down.

Because people held their weapons to completely different standards 80 years ago than we do today

Its POG. If you were a soldier you would have known that. At best you were, "in the military".

>Wartime 1911's were surely not handfitted and tuned when they needed to produce so many very quickly?

youtu.be/Q7XUtgIVo7k

Wartime 1911's had sloppy tolerances. As a result they were reliable, but they also were less accurate and had poor triggers compared to high-end commercial manufacture, and that's also why there was such a strong aftermarket that grew up so quickly--people wanted to fix the military version's shortcomings.

Another benefit the military guns had was that the ammo type was both known and standardized. It's easy to make the gun run on standard mil spec ball. It's not so easy when you have to make it feed everything from cheapo discount ammo to mil spec to strangely shaped hollow points

The high end models like Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, etc, are extremely reliable guns. However, some people will find that they run badly if you shoot shitty ammo in them. This is true of any high-end firearm. I had a friend spend $3000 on a high-end match grade FAL (not including glass) only to bitch when it wouldn't cycle the cheapest milsurp he could find. It turns out that a gun with a match chamber needs match ammo. No different than buying a Ferrari and then wondering why it doesn't run right on cheap gas.

Cheap labour, they were handfitted to spec

I literally have a les baer, and use it extensively for ipsc. 10k rounds without a hiccup with cheap brass case ammo

and yet people often cite they can't use certain brands and can't use steel case all together because of the tight tolerances. Meanwhile my 900 dollar sig 1911 can run anything.

don't overlook the variability of different magazines and their effects..

how-i-did-it.org/magazines/
how-i-did-it.org/magazines2/

Attached: 1458952691051.jpg (1920x1200, 298K)

modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3250

Attached: 1911_canned-371828.jpg (714x900, 65K)

The 80s is also when the US switched to the Beretta. Cheap surplus autoloaders probably contributed too

...its almost like different people have different experiences

Gotta make sure to spell it pogue so everyone knows you watched generation kill.

>using steel case in your $$$$ 1911
You can clearly afford better.

fpbp

Forged vs. cast parts.

Attached: 4B552A5D-FD8B-4CC4-817B-F5361ECAAC8D.jpg (2592x1936, 1.33M)

Mine has only misfired 1 time, when I had a loose grip on it

Attached: IMG_9010.jpg (3264x2448, 2.68M)

Nice shoop on the rollmarks.
But otherwise it looks like a legit, very rare civvie wartime Colt auto.
Post the other side.

drum if you own that pistol, my hat is off to you.

Wait, whats wrong with the mag catch screw?

It's in the "remove" position.

>buying a Ferrari and then wondering why it doesn't run right on cheap gas
No.
Gasoline is fungible. As long as the octane rating meets manufacturer's specs, spending extra money on gas is stupid.
Protip: refineries sell to everyone. There is no way to know where your gas was refined, whether at a Chevron or your local cheapo.

Clearances you non engineer

Can you not see the website in the bottom corner? What makes you think that's his?

>As long as the octane rating meets manufacturer's specs, spending extra money on gas is stupid.
That's exactly what he means. You wouldn't run a Ferrari on 87 octane. In the same manner, you shouldn't run a match grade gun on steel-cased shit.

This

oh HELL YES! we had the old german/swiss craftsmen at colt who would not let a pos get past them.
the guns nowadays are borderline junk and i would not buy one.

>had poor triggers
Everyone who I have had shoot my 1943 1911 has commented on how good the trigger feels.

>Then how come 1911's had such a good reputation in and around WW2
I'm just going to chime in, have you seen the semiauto pistol designs from the interwar period? Any nation that wanted a good semiauto pistol went Hi Power, Lugar, or M1911. The rest were not that great.

I think a lot of continued demand for wheelguns through the 60s and 70s came from movies where the male lead had a high power revolver. 1911 in .45ACP is plenty good, but Taxi Driver, Dirty Harry, Charles Bronson, ect had the tough guys using a big caliber revolver. At the time a lot of State Troopers had .357mag

>high end guns are unreliable and people only buy them because they are dumb.
>I am outsmart them by buying rock island phillipino 1911s that rattle like a piggybank

spoken like a true poorfag. It sounds like you're repeating parts of things you heard other people say that in no way tie together.

Yeah, man. I've seriously never seen a semi-custom/custom 1911 owner say they have reliability issues. I watch a bunch of youtube vids on them, too.

This, it's not to say it was the most reliable, but it was a hell of a lot more reliable than its competing autoloaders of the time

bought this thing like a year ago and never fired/oiled it.

how fucked is it?

Attached: DSC_0199.jpg (2000x1125, 648K)

Pre-war and commercial 1911's were less reliable. People didn't know shit about making a 1911 reliable back then. The incredible variety of magazines available now is amazing.

The Series 80 guns is where they became reliable.

If there's no rust starts on it yet its basically brand new since you say you've never fired it. I would rub it down with some sort of oil though just to keep the rust at bay.

Quality brand 1911s have always been more reliable than even revolvers. Poorfags won't admit it, but cheap knockoff brands have never been good.

When you absolutely, positively need an auto loader that just will not fail get a sloppy mil spec 1911.

>if you positively want an autoloader that will stovepipe and ftf get a sloppy milspec 1911

I fucking hate that those retards inscribe COLT'S and not just Colt

literally the only reason I'll never buy one. nobody fucking does this retarded shit. it's as bad as having REAL THE MANUAL printed on the slide.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogue

Your comment will be underappreciated, but you are completely right. Look at all of the glowing reviews of M1 Carbines from GI's that carried them. Yes, they were handy to shoot, low recoil, and light to march with but their accuracy would not be acceptable from even a modern PCC stand point and their reliability, even with good mags and ammo, was like one FTE per 150 or so rounds in combat conditions, necessitating the soldier firing it to stop and clear the jam. These weren't super fucked up double feeds or anything like that, but a failure to extract/eject was not an uncommon occurrence and happened at a rate that, again, we would find unacceptable by modern standards. Given that these soldiers were comparing their M1 Carbines to the performance of Reising (Not a bad design for the time per se, but definitely more suited to law enforcement than military use) SMG's among other guns, the M1 Carbine's peformance was an improvement in their eyes.

Look at their new o1911c. It's got pre 70's rollmarks.