Which was best halftrack?

Hanomag or M3?

Attached: halftracks.jpg (1280x720, 107K)

depends

Different roles?

different construction philosophies, but the germans were more aggressive with their half-tracks and used them as fighting vehicles, whereas the americans viewed them generally as simply transport

The Germans liked the M3, they captured a lot in North Africa.

The might SOMUA MCG wins hands down

Attached: SOMUA_MCG_Saumur_01.jpg (1600x1200, 509K)

all half-tracks are death traps

vice versa as well re: captured sd.kfz.251

Have any cites or stories sempai?

Attached: Sd.Kfz._251-7_Mittlererpanzerkraftwagen_Ausf_D_Pionierpanzerwagen_in_the_Musée_des_Blindés,_France (4608x3456, 2.97M)

I think it goes without saying that the Germ*ns in particular would have captured every wheeled vehicle they could get their hands on, due to their general lack of transport vehicles for troops and logistics.

cant even censor properly, r*ddit refugee detected

Attached: 1563919710322.jpg (480x473, 14K)

Shut it white b*y.

>In comparison to the most common Allied half-track of the war, the M3 Half-track, the Sd.Kfz. 251 was slower and lower-powered, but with thicker, sloping side armour provided better protection

as general purpose vehicle for every role, the M3 is better
for use as an APC, hanomag
i will say the 360deg M2 browning would have been more useful than the 2 180deg MG42 mounts on the hanomag

The gun shield on the german vehicles though.

I assume the longer track on the German apc would help it better get around in mud/winter conditions in east while the M3 was a great and chill vehicle for a vacation across france.

the front wheels were unpowered on the german half-tracks, though, which hampered steering etc in the mud

der neger fears the bavarian

Attached: 3d3.jpg (540x390, 71K)

Correct me if I am wrong, but the hanomag could demount the MGs without tools whereas the M3 could not

counterpoint: the german mounted MGs were man portable to a degree that mounted M2s are not

You're corrected.
Demounting an M2 is just pulling out 2 pins.
However, using it required mounting it into the tripod with abother 2 pins, whereas the MG34/42s could be used off their bipods or mounted to a tripod

Attached: images.jpg (625x490, 69K)

Ease of "taking the guns off and running away" isn't usually a design feature in planning an armoured vehicle, it's just circumstantial.

the squad already has an MG42, there isnt really a point to taking the gun with you

the M2 browning on the M3 seems a bit better for suppressing, since it has more range and penetration against hard cover
half tracks need to dismount troops 100m from the fighting anyways, so the extra range will be even more useful

having 2 guns in opposite directions only really seems useful in a total desperation situation, like a flanking attack or urban fighting, places that a half track is already at a disadvantage in
having 1 big gun that can fire anywhere is more efficient most of the time

The Germans pushed it into a lot of roles by necessity

>half tracks need to dismount troops 100m from the fighting anyways, so the extra range will be even more useful
How does extra range matter within 100m ?this isnt a video game

>the squad already has an MG42, there isnt really a point to taking the gun with you
>"no hans, dont bring another mg42, we dont need another mg instead of a k98"
or
>"gee hans, how comes the sql lets you have 2 mgs" ?

I wasn't saying that that the infantry /need/ to take the MG with them, I'm saying that the machinegun itself was designed to be carried by infantry unlike the M2, who's design lends itself more to be a vehicle mounted machinegun rather than one lugged around by infantry.

(I know it was used as an emplaced machinegun in defensive positions by infantry, but offensive use of infantry carried .50s wasn't common)

We had the 42 vs 50 discussion so many times and the outcome usually is:
42 > 50 for infrantry use
42 > 50 logistically
42 = 50 for mounted vehicle use ( 42 < 50 on planes )
42 = 50 for suppression
42 < 50 for anti vehicle/emplacement use

Attached: 1562526326552.jpg (570x570, 71K)

>(I know it was used as an emplaced machinegun in defensive positions by infantry, but offensive use of infantry carried .50s wasn't common
that's probably why they slapped the .50 on to every vehicle that could carry it

germans apparently despised the .50 cal, due to it being able to chew up infantry in cover and light vehicles with ease

and the americans made special training videos because of the mg42, nobody likes getting wrekt by mgs
see

Why is the '42 always compared to the .50? Isn't the '42's counterpart closer to the .30 or is it just shit that it just becomes irrelevant?

Attached: 6143092750_e58e452722_b.jpg (1024x768, 161K)

because boomer muh .50 mentality and the .30 being outclassed by the 42

the .50 is more iconic than the .30, so it ends up being prime comparison, and the MG42 was used in roles the .50 was used in, like vehicle mounts

as vehicle mounts go, the extra weight of the .50 was less of an issue, and compared to the MG42 trades fire rate for power and range
the MG42 has higher probability of hit, but the .50 can penetrate more kinds of cover, light armor, and can suppress enemies outside their range

US was also more aggressive with using mounted weapons, mostly because they had more vehicles and could afford to lose a few

A challenger appears:
Kino Japanese Hino Type 1 Ho-Ha

Attached: Type_1_Ho-Ha,_front_view.jpg (1302x940, 495K)

It looks aesthetic at least

it really annoys me that the front wheels are completely useless on German half track, they had tank steering for the tracks for god sake
I don't understand why they didn't just removed them and went full APC

Attached: 43294890_257572898236126_4559962350051917824_n.jpg (608x608, 54K)

kinda liked the Ho-Ki more desu

Attached: 09212 .jpg (500x364, 25K)

I think the Sd.Kfz. 251 was complicated and expensive to produce due to the interleaved wheels
the M3 was probably cheaper, simpler and thus better suited for mass production
in practice they probably performed very similar

Attached: Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-219-0596-12,_Russland,_Panzer_IV_und_Schützenpanzer_in_Fahrt.jpg (790x507, 133K)

>best half track thread
>posts full tracked truck
Dishonourabu

I liked the version with six giant bombs strapped to the side. Bet the landser were thrilled about riding into battle in that.

Attached: Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-216-0417-09,_Russland,_schwerer_Wurfrahmen_an_Schützenpanzer.jpg (800x507, 45K)

They didn't have tank steering per se. What they had was a system where turning the steering wheel engaged the brake on one side causing the tracks on that side to slow down (and turning the vehicle).

Actually trained on using it offensively in inf combat when i did my conscription. Sucked hard

>Japanese Hino Type 1 Ho-Ha

"Driver, get me closer - I want to hit them with my sword!"

I didn't know the Japs had such things.

>overlapping road wheels
This kills the field repair

Attached: 1536251886340.jpg (956x1024, 94K)

Probably the USA. Germany always start good but ends up bad and the US basically overtook them in most departments but looks

OUT OF MY WAY HALFTRACK FUCKING SHITS.

Attached: kangaroo carrier.jpg (497x386, 108K)

yeah that's exactly what most tank had back in WW2
transmission going into a differential and break on each side, you turn by breaking one side, steering wheel just make it easier, the wheels where completely useless on theses
I just don't get why they didn't go full apc like the British or for a real half track like the US

This post-apocalyptic vehicle is the best half-track.

Attached: SdKfz_2.jpg (600x551, 40K)

this is idiotic

Ok why?

The Kraut tracks were also ridiculously overcomplex.

You had a steering wheel at an odd angle for the front wheels, then steering/braking laterals for the tracks.
You sit at a weird angle, with poor back support, and horrible visibility.

They also used a stupidly complex close pitched wet-pin track, in lieu of the much simpler "rubberband" of the French or U.S.' tracks.

>half motorcycle, half tracked vehicle
>can’t do motorcycles things
>can’t do tracked vehicle things
>limited transport capacity
They look cool, but I don’t imagine they were practical outside of very specific situations. Why not just stick with whatever the German version of the Jeep was?

overly complex with little actual use case
and furthermore why the fuck does it have this fucking front wheel ?

Modern militaries use quad bikes for the same roles.

quad bike is significantly cheaper and simpler

Yes it is sad. Would be great if my parents could have afforded to by one surplus Kettenkrad for me when I was young.
Hard to say if it was needed for towing 2cm and 3.7cm guns, but pulling cables in places where other vehicles can't go is great.

Attached: img116.jpg (815x456, 61K)

This is like some evil droid from star wars.
Likely turned thousands of jews to dust with plasma fired from that eye.

Attached: 68cb82e440114dece3931dc223a21915.jpg (640x429, 42K)

the 'krad was actually fantastic.
The 251... WHY WAS THE FRONT AXLE UNPOWERED
WHY

>I just don't get why they didn't go full apc like the British or for a real half track like the US

You're absolutely right, why the fuck would you have forward steering wheels on a half track, if the tracks themselves have differential steering and braking.

The answer is: because the Germans were fucking retards user. They had absolutely no sense about how to make a cost-effective vehicle- every good thing they made was just dumb luck and desperation. Making a half track with tank steering makes total sense if you're in a country run by delusional megalomaniacs.

Attached: fpc66ywjjy121.jpg (630x641, 143K)

>Making a half track with tank steering makes total sense if you're in a country run by delusional megalomaniacs.
I mean it makes sense period, it's the part where they didn't bother to bolt just one more transfer case onto it to drive the front axle as well that doesn't make any goddamn sense. It's a net loss over just making a front live axle and not controlling the rear tracks at all, like the M3.

You’re a retard

>Actually trained on using it offensively in inf combat when i did my conscription. Sucked hard
What army? and how the hell do you hand-carry a ma deuce from place to place in an assault?

Kubelwagen sucked hard compared to US Jeep too.

>then steering/braking laterals for the tracks.
nigger what are you smoking?

>You're absolutely right, why the fuck would you have forward steering wheels on a half track, if the tracks themselves have differential steering and braking.
because the tracks are fucking long and the wheels themselves would have been pretty ineffective without the differential action of the tracks

kek

I think the Krauts used up all their allotted powered-steering ration on pic related

Attached: Kfz231Schwer8rad.jpg (736x552, 67K)

Practically? M3. Aesthetically? Hanomag.

Attached: SdKfz 251-22.jpg (5332x3616, 1.22M)

The M3 is a better platform operationally and strategically. It's cheaper and easier to produce as well as being more reliable and easy to maintain. However, tactically I'd take one of the German halftracks. The Germans designed their halftracks to support their infantry directly. You've got a much better armored vision slit for the driver than the Americans had, as well as an armored gun shield for the mounted machinegun, and then plenty of different variants of them that had larger weaponry to support them, such as the Stummel with the short 75 or the 251/10s with the 37mm guns that all the platoon leader tracks were supposed to have. Additionally, the interlocked road wheels should lead to lesser ground pressure.

The Americans never wanted to use their halftracks in serious combat. You were supposed to dismount a good ways away. The Germans intended for their halftracks to fight. Two different design priorities, with each edging out the other in what they're better at.

What made Hanomag less reliable? All I find is M3's rear idler breaking all the time in rough terrain. Sure 251 has those cursed track wheels, but they weren't anything as heavy as in tanks.
The Germans also got many other halftrack models for logistics and to carry heavy guns.

I never knew that the German halftrack could steer via braking a track. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a halftrack? I always thought they were a compromise with the tracks allowing for a heavy vehicle that's off-road capable while the front wheel steering makes it cheaper and training simpler.

I believe that the Kettenkrad was particularly useful on the Eastern front. There it would effectively replace motorcycles/sidecars which couldn't deal with the snow.

It's because they were too stupid to just use a live front axle. Such an easy solution was beneath them.