.22lr despite it's name is a pistol not a rifle round

.22lr despite it's name is a pistol not a rifle round.

It merely started off as a rifle round because it was loaded with black powder and because it was an upgrade of a gallery gun. But it has no characteristics of a rifle round. It's barely supersonic and does not gain a significant amount of energy past 5". .22magnum on the other hand is the true rimfire rifle round because it's 3-4 times weaker from a short barrel and goes from being way above superonic to barely supersonic or below supersonic.

Attached: 22lr.jpg (275x183, 8K)

>hurr
>durr

.22 long RIFLE

what
said

By your logic 9mm flobert is a pistol round

3/10, rethink your argument and word it in a way less open to people poking holes in it

Any bullet moving slower then 2200 feet per second is a pistol round in gel tests.
You need to go faster to act as a rifle round in gel tests.
Pistols can only poke holes, rifles rip and tare.
Rifles use speed and impact to create a blast wave in the object. Pistols can't do that.
Pistols are all about the bullet crushing and smashing its way into the object.
Rifles don't care about what the bullet hits, its the blastwave and sonic disruption that does the damage not the hole it puts in the object.
Two completely different methods of wound creation.

So, by your definitions .30 carbine would be defined as a pistol cartridge? Even though it was designed for a rifle? 7.92x33? 8mm manlicher?

your definitions don't mesh with 'common sense', in the sense that there are calibers that only rifles are chambered in / only rifles were chambered in originally, that do not meet your definition

actually let me rephrase that
"By the definition you're using", not "by your definition "

It’s a rifle round for varmints that happens to work well in pistols. It’s meant for 360° no-scoping squirrels at 50y.

.577/450 Martini–Henry is now a pistol round

the 10mm of their day

kek. I would love to see a revolver chambered in that, it would be massive. (And if someone produced it I could also buy rounds for my rifle that were made later than the 1950s)

Fucking so what op? Shoot the shit outta them and gitgudscrub

.30 Carbine is just rimless .357 Magnum.

Who cares? Post guns.

Where's OP getting his information? Surely not from shooting .22lr through various lengths of barrel. I've shot a few flavors of .22lr subsonic through a 4" barrel, 10", and 11.5", and find that last to deliver about 150fps higher velocity than the 4". Seems about the sweet spot for CCI or Remington or a few other brands staying below the sonic crack line. Hotter than that doesn't interest me for pest control anyway. Too loud for neighbors and for adjacent pests, when what's wanted is something accurate inside 100 yards and easy to suppress. .22lr is certainly a limited application round, but is very effective within its range of suitable targets. Good on hogs and smaller.

Doesn't .22LR have more kinetic energy than a typical hunting bow and arrow? Obviously momentum is different given the mass of the projectile but no one questions the ability of a bow to put people down

>It's a rifle round because it's weak
It was intended to be fired from rifles

It's almost like the application of things change over time based off of societal needs

So now a .30 caliber round equals a .357 caliber round? The .357 mag can also have more weight and when fired out of a rifle can go just as fast as 30 carbine but with much higher bullet weight and diamater, so no .30 carbine isn’t just .357 mag rimless, retard

Um..who gives a fuck now the .22 LR is as expensive as 9mm- another pistol round, Alex?

Airguns for the win- which are best enjoyed as open sigh air rifles for $100, Alex.

Where are you getting 9mm for ¢4/rd?

>despite it's name
>despite it is name

If .357 Mag is so great, how come the M1 Carbine wasn't chambered in it?

Because the pencil dick M1 C barrel can’t handle the bigger bullet

30 cal is a rifle round
(because it was labeled that)
PERIOD

Damn OP you sure convinced me, I'm gonna go throw away my 10/22

You heard it here folks, a shotgun slug at 1600 fps is a pistol round

get the fuck out of here with your "manlicker" rounds discord tranny

>2500fps out a full sized pistol
>4000+fps out a full length barrel

Attached: liberty-ammo-civil-defense-1.jpg (648x432, 42K)

>The .357 mag can also have more weight
>Because the pencil dick M1 C barrel can’t handle the bigger bullet

lmao

The 30 carbine and it's ammo was purpose built.
The 30 carbine's rifling twist rate isn't right for anything but the military load.
There are no real "custom" loads or weapons outside the 30 Carbine and it's military standards, aside from a few oddballs.

The 357 was a wildcat for performance for a better established and much older platform

not in third world countries. Here a 22lr is 9 times cheaper than a 9mm

you also dont need >l0icenses to get a .22 rifle

>tare
Whatever you say, Mr Neurosurgeon

>punches clean through 3a armor out of a pistol at 25 yards

I don't believe you

where do you live jesus christ your existence sounds painful

Niggan go watch youtube chronos of the rounds, that stuffs legit

>gel tests are now the arbitrary measurement to split calibres into two types only
>naval cannons are now pistols
Inb4 "w2c IWB holster for my footwide" threads

Woah, I never realized .45-70 was a pistol round you dumb mutt

50gr at over 4000fps?