Are red dots on handguns becoming more common or are they still a meme

Are red dots on handguns becoming more common or are they still a meme

Attached: 20160818_154856.jpg (2310x1194, 222K)

Gradually. Just chill out and give it time, it took a century for optics to become standard on rifles and 30 years for red dots on rifles (or a century as well if you count the few ww1 examples), pistol red dots have only been around for like a decade.

Cars have automatic chirp-chirps but most still have keyholes.

Anyone else have any analogies hanging out there?

Cowitness master race.

It is a pretty significant game changer to use a red dot on a handgun and makes hitting targets significantly quicker and easier. I still shoot production USPSA just because all my CCWs are still iron sights only so I want to mainly practice for iron sight shooting but the carry optics group is growing quickly.

Common in the civilian market? The military for all intents and purposes doesn't use pistols, and SOF can do whatever the fuck they want. So, what, LEO purposes? Haven't seen many in their safari holsters.

>Are red dots on handguns becoming more common or are they still a meme

Sig, FN, Glock and many others are and have been offering red dot ready pistols for years. CBP recently selected the Gen 5 Glock MOS as their new service pistol, same with the Secret Service. We are seeing more and more adoption of red dots for other LE agencies thanks to people like Jim Dexter, Scott Jedlinski and Aaron Cowan who are all advocates of red dots and teach red dot specific classes.

Pistol instructors like Mike Pannone have said two years ago, they would have one person at a class with a red dot, everyone else irons and now, he sees a majority of students showing up with red dots. Red dots are the future, they have so many benefits but irons are still fine, you don’t have to run out and get one.
>pistol red dots have only been around for like a decade.

Wrong. They’ve been a thing since the late 80’s and early 90’s.

Attached: 78EBB9C5-C5C7-4F6F-B4B7-E7FA70615F86.jpg (960x1280, 346K)

only poor fags
or
fags who don't know how to shoot hate handgun optics.
the scenario is this:
Im a poor fag, and i want one, but since I would rather spend money on weed and energy drinks, I'll just tell everyone they are shit. It makes me feel superior.
Or
I don't want to take the time to learn how to use my pistol and practice marksmanship skills. So I buy one thinking its a replacement for basic marksmanship. Then when I am still a bad shot, I'll blame the optics and tell every one they are shit. Because I don't accept responsibility for my actions.

Attached: R6779-9mm-Glock-G19-MOS-Review-4.jpg (1000x750, 219K)

Yup, they've really been catching on in the LEO community in particular.

To be honest I think handgun dots are a great advantage over a pistol.
You can aim far more instinctively with a gun that is not shouldered, and used with a single hand or in difficult situations/uncomfortable positions.

They're not mutually exclusive. They are becoming very common and they are still a meme at the same time.

Well i managed to put one on my 92A1 on a SightMount system (which means i get to keep a rear sight as a backup in case of optic failure, the other options being either drill the slide, which basically ruins the weapon, or removing the rear side which is meh) and it's really fucking good.

I was used to standard sights, but red dots are really easier on my (shitty) eyes and easier to focus.

I recommend.

Attached: 92a1.jpg (4032x3024, 1.64M)

I have yet to see someone carrying with one.

good for games and goofing around. not sturdy enough for real use

Is it cozy living under a rock?

Who shoulders a pistol?

Don’t shoot the messenger.

couple guys at work try them. they last a couple-few weeks. then they break
doesn't seem to matter what brand or model. one guy is gucci and spent a ton of money on them, other just bought midrange stuff
if you're daily carrying, it's gonna get banged on

the only reason these aren't standard yet is because they cost a small pile of money. if you could put a red dot on your pistol for $5, every pistol would leave the factory with one

meme

it makes the pistol only bigger for edc
and there is no advantage in near range
on human target size.

>Wrong. They’ve been a thing since the late 80’s and early 90’s.
As evidenced even in pic related

Attached: William_shakespeares_romeo_and_juliet_movie_poster.jpg (220x324, 131K)

they're not really expensive. just unreliable and break easily

They were never a meme. For me, accuracy goes up an order of magnitude. And the industry is cranking out guns precut. What will really solidify red dot handguns is an open standard mounting system and red dot manufacturers will support.

I'm so glad that film was made

If only prismatic or holographic pistol sights existed. I have a bad astigmatism, and all red dots look like complete ass to me (And not good ass either).

Attached: Suicidal Fish.jpg (1000x749, 179K)

Like what ?

The red dot is VERY starbust-like, has streaks all over the place, and I even sometimes see another fainter dot or two as well. Either show me a holographic/prismatic pistol sight, or kill me.

Attached: Vibrating Fish.gif (224x233, 897K)

have you tried a parallax free thing like an aimpoint on a rifle

Meant to reply to

>Actually locking your car
It's like you want to get your window smashed over the $1.86 in change lying in your ashtray.

I don't lock my house up either. and I put a sign out front that says "FREE KFC"

Most people have an autism fit if you add an extra half an ounce of plastic to your AR to make it look cool.
It will take time.

I basically have to have one on all my weapons because lmao cross-hand-eye dominance. Why ma, why did you make me such a genetic failure?
Otherwise though I think they're pretty neat. If you're used to red-dots they're just a natural addition, not good for pistols that need to be very concealable but then again most good concealable pistols I wouldn't call good fighting pistols to begin with. More "oh fuck I'm gonna die" weapons.

you can train out of that

If you mean the whole "wear an eyepatch for two weeks" thing I tried that already. Massive hassle, the damn thing never seemed to fit right and my vision immediately went back to my left eye after taking it off.

>If only prismatic or holographic pistol sights existed. I have a bad astigmatism, and all red dots look like complete ass to me (And not good ass either)

Where are you looking when aiming? it’s not supposed to be the dot you’re looking at but the target. So many people look at the red dot and it’s the main reason why it “starbursts”

I want to shill for a minute. I sent my slide to be milled by jagerwerks, absolutely phenomenal customer service. They answer emails under 30 minutes during business hours.

Attached: BED3EB7A-D7A9-40CA-8AE6-A5A4A3F71847.gif (332x250, 3.67M)

A good red dot system cost half the price of a decent handgun. I'm good until I get rich. Otherwise I love red dot sights.

Not him but I have the same problem. Yes I know how to use one. It still starbursts.

Yes, still starburst. Prism scopes are my go to right now.

>sent out my slide to L&M
>got it back degreased, zeroed and properly installed in 8 days

Won’t have the same lead times but that shit impressed me

Attached: 2C849BE0-58D9-47F9-B6AB-E34470D1D6CD.jpg (250x250, 8K)

What godforsaken place do you live in?

Attached: horses-do-drugs1.jpg (750x565, 62K)

no not that shit. I don't know where you are, but a good trainer and practice can fix it. my dad had the same problem years ago

hmmmm.
I don't know a fix for that, aside from go see an optometrist

Well there's a number of gun clubs with CC instructors around here, maybe I'll ask one of them.

I have the same problem with astigmatism. It's worse though with traffic lights because I get massive light-streaks trailing down and they only seem to go away if I look through the bottom third of my eye. I was surprised with my eye doctor had never heard of this symptom. Even though my vision hasn't changed much over the past few years the light-streaking has gotten worse and worse. Then again maybe it's bad because I've done all those hallucinogens. I can't fucking wait to get LASIK.

would be worth it
that cross eye/hand dominance is a bitch, but I know it can be fixed

I'm not a trainer, just seen it done

>meme
This does not mean "dislikable thing," you know.

While I'm certain they are very handy to have, damn but red dots on pistols are ugly.

>living and working in niggsville
Elevate yourself user.

The dot is on the same plane as the target user. When you look at either one, the other is in perfect focus. It sounds like you've never looked at a red dot before?

It kind of does. Stupid shit catches on with stupid people and you get yourself a runaway meme of retardation. See: Reddit.

No you can't

What can you do then? Because the eye-patch shit doesn't work and I hate it.

this desoo.

I'm not crazy about optics on pistols but i'd wager 5-10 years they'll come standard on most guns, or be built into the slides themselves like a built in see-all type dot

Deal with it. It makes no difference for handguns. Learn to shoot southpaw with long-arms. Use optics and practice more.

Yes, they are becoming quite common. If you need to know which ones are durable and sturdy, and which ones aren't, check Sage dynamics on YT.

As opposed to hobos having orgies on the back seat?

Probably Detroit or something.

It's called a soup kitchen. Not long after that a momma raccoon came along and gave birth on the floor. Placenta blew out all over the back window there.

I know that feel.
My eyesight is complete ass and just about any optics I use are a blurry mess,
with those starburst-like streaks obscuring everything.
This is probably the underlying reason why I prefer irons on just about every gun I own.

Attached: ab3.jpg (540x651, 43K)

They're much more common, I'm trying to convince my company to let us do it. Everyone is on board but the Jews in accounting.

Prismatic sights work great for me. Vortex has a line-up of prism sights that look amazing visually to me. I'm sure the Trijicon ACOGs would look good as well. Those are probably my best alternatives for rifles but prismatic and holographic pistol sights don't seem to exist yet. Perhaps in 20 years they will?

Attached: How To Talk To Communists.jpg (616x392, 28K)

Something being popular, like breathing, doesn't suggest it's bad. But being both popular and controversial, subjectively seems to make things worth scrutiny. Organized religion, social media, and 9mm come to mind.