Does a semi auto bolt lock into place before each firing like a bolt action?

Or does it just use its inertia to keep the bolt and cartridge from moving backwards too fast as the bullet is moving forwards down the barrel?

Attached: 6956098E-F088-4842-B6AF-F17069C92F65.jpg (1280x720, 107K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HJnhr08aIJs
youtu.be/MJGu8prreZM
youtu.be/-7Tx8OO3JGU
youtu.be/wLYR0RhKp6M
youtube.com/watch?v=ZyajvvsuGcU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Some semi autos work exactly as you described. Many low pressure rounds like .22 are "direct blowback" and work perfectly fine as such. Others, like the AK you posted, are rotating bolts that lock before firing.

blowback firearms do not lock. gas-operated ones do.

Cool thanks guys. So aks wont unlock the bolt without the gas that redirected from the barrel?

Unless you manually cock it (pull on the cocking handle) no

youtu.be/HJnhr08aIJs
youtu.be/MJGu8prreZM
youtu.be/-7Tx8OO3JGU

Watch these in order dude if you want to learn a little more about cycle of operations of small arm. It’s a little old but it’s really simple and easy to understand

Is the extractor surrounded by the chamber in a bolt action rifle?

Generally speaking every modern semi automatic rifles chambered for true rifle calibers lock their bolt, one way or another.

Do most pistols not lock their bolt and use the blowback to operate?

The most popular pistol action is the browning tilting action. Where the barrel is locked in a groove that pressure overcomes and tilts the barrel upwards. It's not that dissimilar to blowback, only it also has to overcome the locking action of the barrel.

No
Dont quote my number but the bottom 1/8 inch of the cartridge sticks out of the chamber, this is what the bolt wraps around and the extractor just barely touches the barrel.

Most pistols in 9mm or larger have a locking mechanism. Smaller calibers are usually direct blowback.

They keep it closed but not locked per se. Some pistols (most of them actually) have a tilting system made to delay the opening of the action but it doesn't lock the bolt).

The trick with semi automatic guns is to wait for the bullet to leave the barrel and the pressure to decrease to safe levels before ejecting the case.
With pistol calibers, you can rely on either the momentum of the bolt or use a system with a freely moving barrel that follows the slide for a short period of time to achieve that.
With rifle calibers, the pressure is way to high for that- unless you're using a very heavy bolt for example. The bolt has to remain locked and gaz will be used to open up the action.

What I say is true for the most common modern pistol and rifles but there are many exeptions. It just gives you a guideline about how this type of gun would generally work.

So the chamber is fully enclosed by the bolt and everything correct?

>tilting system made to delay the opening of the action but it doesn't lock the bolt
Well first of all there isn't a bolt, it's a slide. Second, it does indeed lock. Pic related, those are literally called "locking lugs" because the barrel locks into the slide.

Attached: 1911_slide-barrel_Locking-Lug.jpg (507x537, 37K)

there are blowback guns, which are recoil operating, and then there's rotating bolt gas operated, which does lock- it depends on the gun mang

No, the chamber on a bolt action is located in the barrel. Only a very small part of the cartridge sticks out just far enough for the extractor to catch the rim and a very shallow recess in the bolt encloses it.

Also no, they but up to each other then the locking lugs hold the bolt to the barrel

Ok so the base of the casing is still fully enclosed (by something) correct?

Typically, the extractor would ‘hook’ on the end of the base of the round, where I drew the red circle after 1000 hours in ms paint.

I’m sure there are exceptions somewhere though.

Attached: 51A4000C-3E57-4974-9F3B-52AD9094714A.jpg (1090x598, 102K)

Yes! By the bolt

Yes, but it'd be more correct to say that the cartridge case is fully "supported". The bolt really only encloses the head of the cartridge.

JESUS FUCK I HATE SUMMER RETARDS

So what overcomes the lock? Just back pressure from the firing?

Ok, so the sides of the bolt fit into those openings next to the casings belt right? So the extending rim of the bolt seals up against the back of the barrel?

Didnt see your answer before I posted mine this is accurate.
Yes the bolt encloses the base of the cartridge (although there is not much pressure to contain)
The locking lugs encompass the case head which butt up to the chamber, and to the barrels locking lugs.

AR15 example (bolt guns lock up in a similar way)
The extractor on the left slips over the case rim, and you can see the bolt face is recessed into the bolt. This is the section of the cartridge supported by the bolt. The flares around it are the locking lugs which lock into the barrel.

Attached: bolt_face_ar_15_by_freakinout_d4czimh-pre.jpg (928x861, 58K)

Recoil causes the slide to begin moving backwards which pushes the barrel downwards via a link and pin which then unlocks the slide allowing it to move freely and fully cycle. Check out an animation on Youtube.

The recoil of the round being fired forces it backwards and the cycles the weapon.
youtu.be/wLYR0RhKp6M
Watch this in 0.25 speed. Notice how both the barrel and the slide travel backwards together for a small amount of time before the Barrel moves down?

>belt
This is used to refer only to belted cartridges like 300wm and 7mm rem mag and so on.

Example of a bolt action bolt, this has 2 locking lugs instead of 8.
>inb4 why the difference
The amount the bolt has to rotate is less when you have more locking lugs.

But see only a small section of the case is covered by the bolt the rest is by the chamber.

Attached: 23985877-close-look-of-the-bolt-face-on-a-precision-rifle.jpg (1300x1289, 111K)

>So aks wont unlock the bolt without the gas that redirected from the barrel?

that is correct

when the bolt is locked into the chamber, the only way it comes out again is if something pulls it from behind. that's what the bolt carrier is doing whenever the gas pushes back on it - it's pulling on the bolt from behind and (because of the way the bits are shaped) rotating it, which unlocks it. the energy pushing on the bolt from the front whenever you fire a round doesn't move the bolt because it's locked in place.

the extractor is typically shaped like a hook and kind of "grabs" the back end of the case when the bolt goes fully forward as you chamber a round

no, the end of the bolt (where the locking lugs are) fits inside the chamber and locks into the lugs inside the chamber.

yes, by the chamber (mostly) and the end of the bolt that's inside the chamber.

watch this video, it explains the whole thing:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZyajvvsuGcU

the bullet is gone and 25 yards downrange before it even starts to move

Word

Thanks. Good explanation

Great explanation thanks man

I'm proud of you guys. Good thread. Reminds me of old Jow Forums.

Attached: [k]DoesScience.gif (307x281, 994K)

Word.
But fuck the batfags, they arent allowed in our club